Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs vs. Pacers 12/30

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs vs. Pacers 12/30

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:28 am

DVR'd the game and watched it this morning. Nice job by the Cavs coming back from an 11-point deficit on the road. Too bad Kyrie's layup rolled out at the buzzer. Love the way he took the shot with the game on the line, though.

This game was lost at the free throw line where the Cavs were 18-of-31. They were even worse from long range, making just 5-of-25 three pointers. IMO, they put up way too many 3-pointers. It's tougher to make them on the road. OTOH, the Pacers are huge up front and make it tough to take it to the rim. Hibbert in particular is a load. The Pacers muscled their way in for 17 offensive boards.

I'm still not getting what the Cavs saw in Casspi. After three games he's shooting 26% from the field and is 1-of-6 from downtown. His scoring and rebounding averages are about half of what they were in Sacramento while playing about the same minutes. He doesn't look that strong, athletic, or skilled. I can't see anything he does well except for his effort.

Jamison is also struggling. He's shooting 37% overall and is an abysmal 1-for-10 on 3-pointers. He's even missing unchallenged 3's. And his free throw shooting is also off at 60%. Defensively, he has one steal in 90 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson and Samuels get more PF minutes as the season goes on, unless Jamo finds his shooting stroke.

Those who predicted 16-50 for the Cavs this year might want to re-think that.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: Cavs vs. Pacers 12/30

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for that summary, Pros!
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby BruceK » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:24 am

More minutes for Thompson, Samuels, and Gee, and less minutes for Jamison and Cassipi (and no minutes for Hollins) and this team will be fun to watch.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:45 am

They're already pretty fun to watch. TT was a non-factor last night as the Pacers' bigs completely neutralized him. Great game by Andy, though, who got the crap beat out of him but just kept coming. That guy earns his pay every night.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:58 am

Maybe the Casspi trade was made in an effort to improve the Kings enough that they have to give up the draft pick. There's no off position on the genius switch.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:14 pm

To me that game was the epitome of Cleveland sports: not enough talent, developing players, lose with dignity and pride, secure highest pick possible.

Loved Irving's high-quality take to the basket with game on the line, disappointed in his minor league finish on that take.

Watching Hansbrough v. Varejao was enjoyable too. I couldn't help but think the entire league was hoping for both of them to collide and get hurt so their annoying presences were lost for some time. Neither gave an inch. No, it wasn't watching two highly skilled guys go back and forth. But it was a battle within the battle and it was spirited.

That's about all we have.

And yeah, hit a couple free throws and you steal a win.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:28 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Maybe the Casspi trade was made in an effort to improve the Kings enough that they have to give up the draft pick. There's no off position on the genius switch.

Then some genius needs to tell JJ he's supposed to be improving the Kings.

By the way, Scott needs to prohibit Jamison, KI, and Casspi from attempting any more 3's for a while. They're 3-for-23 (13%). The rest of the team is 15-for-34 (44%).
Last edited by Prosecutor on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Demeatloaf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:35 pm

I was pretty happy with the game last night. The reason that they lost was mostly because of missed free throws. That's something that can be easily fixed.

I'm far more impressed with Kyrie Irving than I expected to be.
Demeatloaf

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:15 pm

On second thought, I'm OK with Jamo and Casspi continuing to chuck up the 3's.

Casspi shot 36.9% and 37.2% his first two years on a total of 450 attempts. Jamo's 3-point percentage has not varied in the last four years, falling between 33.9% and 35.1% each year. Last year it was 34.6%, right on his career average.

I guess they're both just a little off right now. If their bad shooting costs the Cavs a few more wins before they find their strokes, no big deal. It just improves their draft position.

Irving looks like he hasn't gotten used to the NBA 3-point distance yet. But the way he's penetrating, teams are going to back off him, so he needs to show he can knock it down if he's not challenged.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Pistons beating up on the Pacers right now. Both teams played yesterday, but its obvious which team is gassed.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm not convinced Casspi is fully healthy right now. He's not, and will never be, a great player. But he's better than he has been so far.

And someone just needs to take Jamison out back and shoot him. He's done. If we don't trade him by the deadline, he ought to be reduced to 12 or so minutes a night.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 pm

Casspi got benched in Sacramento ast year because he is not a good three point shooter. He'll make ten one night then not hit the net for his next three games.

He is nothing more than a hustle off the bench guy. A sixth or seventh man on a real team is his ceiling and he isn't there yet.

None of you want to believe me, but whatever.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:30 am

I look at it as a positive not re-upping Hickson based on good numbers bad team. I'll lose the low IQ potential player for the 3rd guy off the bench.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 am

Orenthal wrote:I look at it as a positive not re-upping Hickson based on good numbers bad team. I'll lose the low IQ potential player for the 3rd guy off the bench.

I don't know where Hickson would fit in on a team that already has Jamison, TT, and Samuels. Scott likes Casspi's defense at the 3 even if his shot isn't falling.

Casspi and Jamo need to find their offensive games soon because the starting five is already offensively challenged. They can't expect the bench to bail them out every night.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Casspi got benched in Sacramento ast year because he is not a good three point shooter. He'll make ten one night then not hit the net for his next three games.

He is nothing more than a hustle off the bench guy. A sixth or seventh man on a real team is his ceiling and he isn't there yet.

None of you want to believe me, but whatever.

He can play that role when AV gets gone. It's fine with me. Be interested to see if Mike Brown and the Lakers make a play for AV down the road for some intensity and hustle off bench.

Obviously the problem is their picks tend to suck balls.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Hickson is nothing more than a scorer off the bench on a good team.

His ceiling may be higher than Casspi's, but I don't think anyone here expects him to reach it.

That trade was meh depth for meh depth.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA