Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL Starters Worse Than Colt

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

NFL Starters Worse Than Colt

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:12 pm

In response to one of the other threads where Colt was being compared to Flacco, I became curious about how people truly value Colt McCoy.

So, to which 2011 opening day starters would you at this point say "I'd rather have Colt McCoy"?

Mine: Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb (2011 version), Luke McCown, Kerry Collins.

Debatable: Chad Henne

That's about it. 4, maybe 5 guys (but look at the bright side - 3 of those guys have led teams to the Super Bowl!)

Plus some opening day backups: Blaine Gabbert (who's kind of a Colt clone), Curtis Painter, Caleb Hanie, Tyler Palko, Kyle Boller, Charlie Whitehurst, John Beck
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: NFL Starters Worse Than Colt

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Agree with that but I'd also say you needed this season to come to that realization. Would have been interesting to see the names behind Colt before Week 1.

Guys like Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Henne, Grossman, Painter, Hasselbeck, Kolb, Alex Smith, Cassel, Orton, Campbell, etc., et al would have been behind McCoy here. Even a guy like Flacco would have been fair game.

In my opinion anyway.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:22 pm

peeker643 wrote:Agree with that but I'd also say you needed this season to come to that realization.

Oh, no doubt. I'll never bitch about taking the season to see what we had in Colt - not like this was a playoff team anyway. Not unless the QB was lights out.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:49 pm

I agree the list of QBs beneath Colt would have been greater when the year started, but a few things could have been at work...one being last year's use of Colt from a different (and in hindsight superior) HC, despite the archaic offense.

IMO Hiko it's tough to be 100% objective in answering your question b/c we haven't seen any other QB run another QB's O. I mean yeah you have some obvious guys that will be better than most of the others, but put Dalton, Fitz, Orton or Colt on say each others teams?

ETA: this isn't a playoff team this year with ANY QB in the league, unless every roll went their way and still a wild card at best with 9 wins most.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 pm

FUDU wrote:I agree the list of QBs beneath Colt would have been greater when the year started, but a few things could have been at work...one being last year's use of Colt from a different (and in hindsight superior) HC, despite the archaic offense.

IMO Hiko it's tough to be 100% objective in answering your question b/c we haven't seen any other QB run another QB's O. I mean yeah you have some obvious guys that will be better than most of the others, but put Dalton, Fitz, Orton or Colt on say each others teams?

ETA: this isn't a playoff team this year with ANY QB in the league, unless every roll went their way and still a wild card at best with 9 wins most.

You sir, are a blind man.

And have more excuses than my 4 year old.

The entire point of the conversations is those guys you want to switch around are not winning any super bowls in their careers either. What is the point of saying our stiff is equal to those stiffs?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 am

Not excuses pup, the Browns offense is really bad (from top to bottom) and the problems have been talked about all season by a significant portion of the national analysts. The line is bad and the WRs are bad. I appreciate your effort for that link (that's a decent site and I spend a good amount of time on it) but it is pretty bleh analysis which still shows the Browns closer to the bottom third than anything else.

Again portray my point as ultimate defense and pimping of Colt if need be but I've been consistent in saying the Browns should grab a QB if a good opportunity arises.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL