Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

RUMOR: Chucky to ST. Louis?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

RUMOR: Chucky to ST. Louis?

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:58 pm

Per Rotoworld:

The Rams intend to hire Jon Gruden as their next head coach, sources tell the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee says that if GM A.J. Smith is fired, he'll replace Billy Devaney in the same capacity with the Rams. And Smith would bring his long-time friend Gruden to St. Louis with him. The Rams have Sam Bradford, possibly the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team in 2013. It's also possible the Chargers will retain Smith, fire Norv Turner and attempt to lure Gruden to San Diego.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: RUMOR: Chucky to ST. Louis?

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Having just finished spending the week in Chuckie's stomping grounds...

To give up the ability to go to the beach with the family and enjoy the fun in the sun for going to the murder cap. of the world and deal with bullshit winters that come through the midwest to deal with an possibly good QB and a rebuild gig that would take 2-3 years?

No way he takes the gig.

The dolphins are calling, as would be the chargers.

I wouldn't write off the Browns gig either, IF, and only IF, the Browns prove they have the talent to be a playoff team and he'd be the one to put them over the top, and that won't be for a while.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Let 'im go.

I don't want Chuckie anywhere near Berea.

Yes, I'd prefer him a million times to Shurmy, but that doesn't mean he's the guy I'd want.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 pm

I'd take Gruden here in a heartbeat. There are guys I'd prefer to him. My list would start with Jeff Fisher and Bill Cowher.

All kinds of big name coaches are out there this off-season. We're going to miss out while we waste another year on this farking moron Shurmur. It's maddening.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm

swerb wrote:I'd take Gruden here in a heartbeat. There are guys I'd prefer to him. My list would start with Jeff Fisher and Bill Cowher.

All kinds of big name coaches are out there this off-season. We're going to miss out while we waste another year on this farking moron Shurmur. It's maddening.

I don't know swerb..

I think with a team like ours, we either have to be on the cusp of being a winner or you've got to go and pull a holmgren with them, and go "Go hire who ever the hell you want in the FO".

Being a realist, the Browns are not an attractive gig at the moment. And I hate saying that. The history is not there anymore, their reputation right now is being one of the worst run franchises in all of sports.It's probably the most talent devoid team in all of the league, so you're going to be expected to "babysit" for a year or two at bare min. to get this thing going. If you're Fisher, Cowher or Gruden would you honestly want to be anywhere near this place at this moment?

Our best hope..and...I'm going to get killed for this. Hire the best coordinator you can, one who's admired by his players, can be a damn leader on the field, surround him with guys like a Jauron who KNOW what to do, who can make a gameplan to best suit their talent

...Shurmer is not that guy...
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Triple-S wrote:
swerb wrote:I'd take Gruden here in a heartbeat. There are guys I'd prefer to him. My list would start with Jeff Fisher and Bill Cowher.

I don't know swerb..

I think with a team like ours, we either have to be on the cusp of being a winner or you've got to go and pull a holmgren with them, and go "Go hire who ever the hell you want in the FO".

Being a realist, the Browns are not an attractive gig at the moment. And I hate saying that. The history is not there anymore, their reputation right now is being one of the worst run franchises in all of sports.It's probably the most talent devoid team in all of the league, so you're going to be expected to "babysit" for a year or two at bare min. to get this thing going. If you're Fisher, Cowher or Gruden would you honestly want to be anywhere near this place at this moment?

Our best hope..and...I'm going to get killed for this. Hire the best coordinator you can, one who's admired by his players, can be a damn leader on the field, surround him with guys like a Jauron who KNOW what to do, who can make a gameplan to best suit their talent

...Shurmer is not that guy...

I agree PS is definitely not the guy. However, perhaps one of those coaches you mentioned or a Billick would look at our situation here in Cleveland and look at it as a Can't Lose situation. He will not be expected to win right away, and at worst he has two/three bad years and goes elsewhere blaming it on the front office. On the flip side, he turns the program around and he is looked upon as a coaching genius. A lot of upside, and very little downside with regards to their reputation, which besides the money is what most of these guys are about.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:16 pm

The other thing is, you're going to have to try to pull away those guys from the more friendly warm-weather gigs with teams already half-built.

You got..Miami, Tampa (rumored), Jacksonville (aka LA) and San Diego with job openings this season, versus a city like Cleveland, which, lets face it, can be down right depressing mid-january (save for a Browns playoff run..which would change things).

Triple-S

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL