Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Beltran?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Beltran?

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:44 am

Pressrunnr

Re: Beltran?

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:27 am

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... os-beltran

Olney has us going after him too.

You have to think the Cards will both outbid us (now they don't have Albert on the books and need to fill his void and because they are the current WS Champs and so a much more attractive team to play for)

We need to overpay wildly or offer him more years in order to place a Tribe jersey on his person.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 am

This would totally make my Christmas. He'll be 37 at the end of a three year deal. Over $10 mil per year, but has said he'd DH. He could be Sizemore insurance and fill the Pronk hole in one fell swoop.

I know they kicked the tires on him at the deadline last year. And the Indians are really tight about letting this stuff get out.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 am

We KNOW they won't go three years.

If I had to guess, we will finish as the runner-up in the Beltran deal.

I am just hoping he accepts a 2 year deal somewhere, so we can debunk another myth about this front office.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:09 am

I'd be absolutely shocked to see it happen, too, but unlike someone like Willingham or the other second-tier free agents we're normally connected to, this would be one guy I'd actually be pretty happy with instead of feeling like it's a back-up option.

But again, considering he had us in part of his no-trade clause back in July, I doubt he'd now be willing to jump on board as a free agent.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Awesome. Another guy getting further from his prime every day who hasn't averaged 100 games played over the past three seasons.

In the immortal words of Bart Scott- "Can't Wait!!"
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up. Maybe just maybe Antonetti was able to give a killer presentation on my Beltran is the guy we need and was able to convince Dolan to pony up a little cash. Or Colander has early onset Alzheimer's but either way I will take it.

Like it was said before if it goes to 3 years, they are prob out. Unless they want to offer a huge 2 year deal I don't see him picking us.

I just really hope it just isn't all a big ploy to try to appease the fanbase.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up. Maybe just maybe Antonetti was able to give a killer presentation on my Beltran is the guy we need and was able to convince Dolan to pony up a little cash. Or Colander has early onset Alzheimer's but either way I will take it.

Like it was said before if it goes to 3 years, they are prob out. Unless they want to offer a huge 2 year deal I don't see him picking us.

I just really hope it just isn't all a big ploy to try to appease the fanbase.

Never. I am shocked anyone would even make such an accusation. :lmfao:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I see two possible ways they can get him -- not particularly likely, but possible:
1. Go Keith Hernandez and outbid everyone, if not with money then with years, with the idea that they only really need him to play outfield for a couple years until Hafner's contract runs out, at which point he'd be the DH. And obviously they have to hope it turns out like the Hernandez deal. I can't say I'd like to see the Tribe limit its flexibility by basically tying itself to aging DHs just when we're seeing the light at the end of the Hafner tunnel. Still, it's tempting.
2. If Beltran decided he's not happy with any of the offers, he might prefer to go the Juan Gonzalez route and p opt for a one-year deal so he can try again next year -- risky for him because he'll only be one year older. In that case, Tribe could go the Juan Gonzalez route as well.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Further thought:

Far more intriguing than Beltran himself -- since you have to figure it's at best a longshot to get him -- is this: Assuming the Indians are in a position to make a good-faith effort to sign him, who else, then, would they be able to pursue if and when Beltran signs elsewhere?

* Derrek Lee: If they can afford Beltran within reason, you have to figure they can afford Lee, who would fill a big hole at 1B and as RH bat. Does he have a couple Eddie Murray/Ellis Burks Tribe years in him?
* Being a guy who grew up being indoctrinated by Pete Franklin, I can't help but think you never have enough pitching. Again, if they're in the ballpark on Beltran, you'd have to think they'd be able to be in the ballpark for the likes of Saunders (who'd be a good LH for the mix) or Edwin Jackson -- guys who'd be solid mid-rotation guys on a good rotation. That would, in essense, make Carmona a "4" instead of a "3" and Lowe a "5" instead of a "4" and the Huffs of the world as depth. I know, it doesn't fill the team's most pressing needs, but if the Indians do have 25 million dollars burning a hole in their pockets, who'd be a better investment, a 35-year-old Beltran or a 28-year-old Edwin Jackson? Truthfully, I'm not sure ... but it's worth asking.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Pressrunnr wrote:Further thought:

Far more intriguing than Beltran himself -- since you have to figure it's at best a longshot to get him -- is this: Assuming the Indians are in a position to make a good-faith effort to sign him, who else, then, would they be able to pursue if and when Beltran signs elsewhere?

* Derrek Lee: If they can afford Beltran within reason, you have to figure they can afford Lee, who would fill a big hole at 1B and as RH bat. Does he have a couple Eddie Murray/Ellis Burks Tribe years in him?
* Being a guy who grew up being indoctrinated by Pete Franklin, I can't help but think you never have enough pitching. Again, if they're in the ballpark on Beltran, you'd have to think they'd be able to be in the ballpark for the likes of Saunders (who'd be a good LH for the mix) or Edwin Jackson -- guys who'd be solid mid-rotation guys on a good rotation. That would, in essense, make Carmona a "4" instead of a "3" and Lowe a "5" instead of a "4" and the Huffs of the world as depth. I know, it doesn't fill the team's most pressing needs, but if the Indians do have 25 million dollars burning a hole in their pockets, who'd be a better investment, a 35-year-old Beltran or a 28-year-old Edwin Jackson? Truthfully, I'm not sure ... but it's worth asking.

Masterson
Jimenez
Tomlin
Carmona
Lowe

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:42 pm

According to good old Rotoworld we are one of 3 finalists for Beltran's signature.

I think it is more between us and the Cards to be honest (no disresepect to the Jays but given their status at the moment and the division they play in I don't see Beltran choosing them over the Tribe or the red birds)

In other news we have enquire dabout Nick Swisher in case Beltran doesn't sign here.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... ut-swisher
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 pm

If they have north of $10 Mil to spend, why not go after Cespedes? Beltran would be 3/35, Cespedes would be 5/45, and he's 10 years younger (though he's a complete unknown.)

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Cards sign Beltran to a 2-year deal. $25 mil, plus a full no-trade clause.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:20 pm

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:29 am

gotribe31 wrote:Cards sign Beltran to a 2-year deal. $25 mil, plus a full no-trade clause.

Those bastards! Well, still doesn't suck that bad. Afterall, we didn't lose Pujols...
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:48 am

For a few moments last night I was excited and thought we might actually sign him.

12 years of being a Tribe fan should have made me more wise

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:08 am

Not sure if I fault the Tribe as much as I thought I would on this one. What would they have had to do to beat this offer? Sure, a third year might have, but they still would have had to match the no trade clause, which no way would they do. And if the years were even, they probably were going to have to get above $15M per year to keep him from St. Louis.

Of course, there is no way he was signing for significantly less than this, so the Indians "involvement" was purely PR.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Spin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 am

On the radio they said the Tribe did offer 3 years.

Guess he just didn't want to close it out here.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:59 am

Spin wrote:On the radio they said the Tribe did offer 3 years.

No way they offered 3 years.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am

pup wrote:

Agree. I think their offer was for 2 years, $22-25 mil. He'd just rather play for the reigning champs. Is what it is. This might make Allen Craig available, who's much more the type of player they're looking at adding under their current budget anyway. He's younger, cheaper and under club control. Would like to see if they can out together a package for him.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 am

gotribe31 wrote:
pup wrote:

Agree. I think their offer was for 2 years, $22-25 mil. He'd just rather play for the reigning champs. Is what it is. This might make Allen Craig available, who's much more the type of player they're looking at adding under their current budget anyway. He's younger, cheaper and under club control. Would like to see if they can out together a package for him.

I seriously doubt the Cardinals would trade their World Series MVP a month after losing the best player of our generation. Talk about a PR hit. Even with Beltran, they still need Craig to play 1B, leaving them with an outfield of Holliday, Big Puma, and Beltran.

Also, Craig is going to miss at least the first month of the season because of major knee surgery for a fractured kneecap.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:44 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
pup wrote:

I seriously doubt the Cardinals would trade their World Series MVP a month after losing the best player of our generation. Talk about a PR hit. Even with Beltran, they still need Craig to play 1B, leaving them with an outfield of Holliday, Big Puma, and Beltran.

Also, Craig is going to miss at least the first month of the season because of major knee surgery for a fractured kneecap.

You say that like the World Series MVP actually means anything. Also, those three are all corner OF and Puma is expected to play 1B. Pretty sure Colby Rasmus will stay in CF for them. Craig will be a useful supersub for them at the corner OF positions and 1B, but if the right offer comes along, I don't see why they wouldn't move him. He's 27, not like he's a 22-year old up and coming prospect or anything like that. Take a look at the list of past World Series MVP's...the list isn't all that amazing.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Rasmus plays for the Blue Jays...
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:52 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Rasmus plays for the Blue Jays...

Yes. Yes he does. Regardless, none of those three are playing CF.

Completely missed that Rasmus trade. Freaking London.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

Not to be pedantic but having a World Serious MVP is always a good thing on your team. It means you WON the World Serious!

Otherwise it was a good post.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 pm

bookelly wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

Not to be pedantic but having a World Serious MVP is always a good thing on your team. It means you WON the World Serious!

Otherwise it was a good post.

Right, of course. My point was the player being named WS MVP isn't that significant for his future or the team's PR. Just means he had a good 7 game series and his team won.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB