Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ohio State's new coaching staff (Missing DB coach)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Urban Staff Hire/Rumor Thread

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:14 am

And all I'm saying is that if there is no obvious explanation, then things were most likely not as cut and dry as you guys are making it seem.

Meyer quotes on the hiring:

“I had heard such great things about Mike Vrabel as a player, but the key thing for me was I wanted to talk football with him,” Meyer said. “I wanted to see him recruit, and I wanted to meet his family. I have since spent a lot of time with him, and he has a wonderful family.

“I also spoke to a number of people I know well, who also know Mike very well, including Bill Belichick. Coach Belichick and I had a really good discussion about Mike. While Mike is young, we both agreed that the unique experiences he has had as a player, coupled with the things he has already accomplished as a coach and recruiter for Ohio State, has prepared Mike for this opportunity. I am very pleased he will be on the staff.”

This sounds like exactly what Meyer has maintained all along, so he's at least been very consistant about this from the start. Go back to his first comments about whether or not he'd retain Mike, and this is exactly what he said he wanted to see and talk to people about.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:57 am

http://theozone.net/football/2011/MeyerHire/WithersCloserLook.htm

Ozone on Everitt Withers.

This one to me looks ok on paper, but it certainly doesn't blow my hair back and not as impressive as I found Herman to be, maybe because Meyer has so much a hand in the offense.

It does make me feel better than this was who Meyer apparently wanted after Strong left.

In the end Meyer knows what he's doing.

4-3 defense remains, not sure on specific schemes, things I've read from UNC fans was that there are not alot of bells and whistles to Withers defense, its very straight forward. One other thing they seemed to say was that he needed serious horses to have a great D, and thier D suffered when that wasn't the case and there were obvious sore spots.

Thats just message board opinions, but if anyone else finds things from the UNC side on him, that is what I am most interested in reading.

One of thte reasons I have not been excited about this is the reactions there. I hear "hate to lose him, he was a great guy and did great in a tough situation for us"....I dont hear anyone talking about him as a loss to the UNC defense.
JCoz

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:03 am

I like that his defenses have been tough against the run and have creatd turnovers. My two favorite things. The OSU defenses of the past 5 or so years have dropped a tremendous amount of sure interceptions. We win at least 2 more games this year alone if our db's could just catch the damn ball.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 am

neoleo wrote:I like that his defenses have been tough against the run and have creatd turnovers. My two favorite things. The OSU defenses of the past 5 or so years have dropped a tremendous amount of sure interceptions. We win at least 2 more games this year alone if our db's could just catch the damn ball.

Hopefully he can do more with this talent, but I looked into that as well, OSU has generally had more INT's than his UNC teams....just saying.
JCoz

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:45 am

JCoz wrote:
neoleo wrote:I like that his defenses have been tough against the run and have creatd turnovers. My two favorite things. The OSU defenses of the past 5 or so years have dropped a tremendous amount of sure interceptions. We win at least 2 more games this year alone if our db's could just catch the damn ball.

Hopefully he can do more with this talent, but I looked into that as well, OSU has generally had more INT's than his UNC teams....just saying.

And OSU has generally had a bit more talent than UNC. He has a history of making UNC's D good against the run and able to catch the ball well enough to challenge for school records for INT's. If he can teach more talented players at OSU to do the same, then of course the results will be better than what he had at UNC, but they'll also be better than what we've seen over the past 5 or so years at OSU. I still have nightmares of Anderson Russell dropping interceptions with his facemask.

I'm not doing cartwheels over this hire, I'm just pointing out that the dude seems to have a good track record of doing two things that I like, one of which we haven't been so good at lately (relatively speaking).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I'd point out that UNC's defensive talent hasn't been as far below Ohio state as you might be thinking, and in fact id say the recent drafts would say they've had better talent in withers DC years.

I'm not sayin he won't be good though, but upon further inspection, many of the feather in his hat people tout are less impressive than they are at first glance.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:17 pm

He runs a D very similar to what Stoops runs.

Either way, Urban got the style he wanted.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:30 pm

As has been rumored forever, Earle Bruce's grandkid (Zach Smith) is the new WR coach.

And Coz, I believe Vrable was tried out, I think they tryout ended when he went from talk to a few recruits to being a major point man on a national assault a few weeks ago. Change occured around the same time Withers was hired, which happened to be announced the same time Vrable was announced.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:He runs a D very similar to what Stoops runs.

Any articles related to that? I was under the impression that Stoops D's were far more aggressive.

Either way I'm done throwing a wet blanket on the hire. I'm just trying to be eyes wide open on hires. I hope he ends up an incredible difference maker.

Overall on the hires IMO, Herman looks like a rising star and possible HR as an OC/QB coach, Withers looks to at least be a quality DC, and the jury's still out on Vrabel. Always liked Johnson, and was never much for Haynes so I'm not really sad to see him go.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:As has been rumored forever, Earle Bruce's grandkid (Zach Smith) is the new WR coach.

Probably not your intention, but describing him soley as Bruces grandkid might be accidentally selling the kid short. Especially with UM and Bruces relationship.

He seems like a good hire regardless of lineage.

Do you agree?
JCoz

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:46 pm

JCoz wrote:I'd point out that UNC's defensive talent hasn't been as far below Ohio state as you might be thinking, and in fact id say the recent drafts would say they've had better talent in withers DC years.

I'm not sayin he won't be good though, but upon further inspection, many of the feather in his hat people tout are less impressive than they are at first glance.

A couple of individual draft picks over a few year span doesn't make the talent even. 1-11 OSU's talent was better, every year. And I looked it up, OSU had 15 defensive players drafted from 08-11, including 3 first rounders, and UNC had 9, including 2 first rounders.

But to your point, this guy was also able to bring in first round talent to UNC. Another reason to be excited once he gets OSU's tradition and resources behind him.

I really didn't care either way for the defense. They've traditionally been the strength of OSU's team for at least the past decade and I actually liked Heacock. It's not like the O with Bollman where a change absolutely had to be made. But I can also see there where some things wrong (like db's that can't catch and no pass rush). If Urban was going to make a change, I trust him. Never heard of Withers until July and never looked into his bio until last week. When I did, I liked that he stops the run and he creates turnovers, and you reminded me that he's a good recruiter.

I don't see a reason to jump up and down over this hire like some people might be on other sites, but I think it's a solid hire and I'm pointing out the reasons why.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Neo, to be fair, you would need to include this year's draft result in this, and that would do quite a bit towards evening up the draft results.

Most of those picks were also there before he got to UNC, BTW. Another one of those "under closer inspection" type deals......But he is known as a good recruiter.

But we basically agree anyways on the hire. Its solid if nothing else, so no more negative comments from me.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:53 pm

JCoz wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:He runs a D very similar to what Stoops runs.

Any articles related to that? I was under the impression that Stoops D's were far more aggressive.

Either way I'm done throwing a wet blanket on the hire. I'm just trying to be eyes wide open on hires. I hope he ends up an incredible difference maker.

Overall on the hires IMO, Herman looks like a rising star and possible HR as an OC/QB coach, Withers looks to at least be a quality DC, and the jury's still out on Vrabel. Always liked Johnson, and was never much for Haynes so I'm not really sad to see him go.

No time to look-up what I was reading when Stoops was in the discussion but I was very much under the impression he was a four man rush, tight man on the outside guy 4-3 guy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You're forgetting the family issue. All reports out of C-Bus are that his wife played a HUGE role in him staying with Meyer and in the Pitt thing if it was what it was.

She's really, really, really happy there.

Well, if I know that Fickell's position is an honorarium, and if I know that the newly named Asst HC/Defense is the actual 'head of that department' then Fickell knows it and his wife should know it too.

Like I said, he no how as an opportunity to validate his abilities with Meyer, but I'd be willing to wager he's not in Columbus in 2014. And if that's the case, it'd be wise to look hard at taking another HC gig between now and then. His stock will not be higher in 2 years.

Not IMO anyway. And then he and the old lady can exchange hateful glances over her killing his dream for the next 50 years. ;-) ;) :wink:

I'm not forgetting it, Lee. I'm heavily, heavily discounting it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Urban Staff Hire/Rumor Thread (only TE and OL to go)

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 pm

For Peek and E0's back and forth and a hint on what the defense looks like going forward:

From the BN BH today:

**New Guy In Town … In an exclusive interview you can hear on Front Row Radio later this afternoon, new Ohio State assistant head coach/co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers told us he “is extremely excited” about coming to Columbus.

And despite his impressive resume (Withers is currently UNC’s interim head coach and will lead the Tar Heels against Missouri in Monday’s Independence Bowl), Withers has no qualms with the fact he won’t be in charge of the Buckeyes defense. He knows he’s technically the No. 2 man and is more than fine with it.

“Luke (Fickell) is going to be the one calling the defense and I am anxious to learn his system and help him,” Withers said.

So there you go. Even though Urban Meyer said last week that Fickell would be the one making the defensive calls, some fans wondered if that could change should someone of Withers’ stature enter the picture. Could Meyer really convince Withers to come to OSU without giving him final say on the defense?

Well, yeah, apparently he could.
**Defensive Look … With Fickell as Meyer’s co-defensive coordinator, the Buckeyes’ defense might not be too much different from what it was under Tressel – at least according to a high profile recruit. The recruit said he has been given the idea from the OSU coaches that there won’t be major changes.

“It’s still going to be the same defense,” the recruit said. “Luke Fickell will be running the defense so it won’t change much. There might be some little changes, but it won’t be a lot different.”

Of course with guys like Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington, Se’Von Pittman and Tommy Schutt coming in, the potential is there for some major heat on opposing quarterbacks. Now that would be a change Buckeye fans could live with.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:05 pm

All well and good today. Now, would you like to wager Fickell is not the DC/here when the 2014 season kicks off?

;-) ;) :wink:

JCoz wrote:For Peek and E0's back and forth and a hint on what the defense looks like going forward:

From the BN BH today:

**New Guy In Town … In an exclusive interview you can hear on Front Row Radio later this afternoon, new Ohio State assistant head coach/co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers told us he “is extremely excited” about coming to Columbus.

And despite his impressive resume (Withers is currently UNC’s interim head coach and will lead the Tar Heels against Missouri in Monday’s Independence Bowl), Withers has no qualms with the fact he won’t be in charge of the Buckeyes defense. He knows he’s technically the No. 2 man and is more than fine with it.

“Luke (Fickell) is going to be the one calling the defense and I am anxious to learn his system and help him,” Withers said.

So there you go. Even though Urban Meyer said last week that Fickell would be the one making the defensive calls, some fans wondered if that could change should someone of Withers’ stature enter the picture. Could Meyer really convince Withers to come to OSU without giving him final say on the defense?

Well, yeah, apparently he could.
**Defensive Look … With Fickell as Meyer’s co-defensive coordinator, the Buckeyes’ defense might not be too much different from what it was under Tressel – at least according to a high profile recruit. The recruit said he has been given the idea from the OSU coaches that there won’t be major changes.

“It’s still going to be the same defense,” the recruit said. “Luke Fickell will be running the defense so it won’t change much. There might be some little changes, but it won’t be a lot different.”

Of course with guys like Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington, Se’Von Pittman and Tommy Schutt coming in, the potential is there for some major heat on opposing quarterbacks. Now that would be a change Buckeye fans could live with.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't have a position Peeks just bringing info...but if there was a wager for me it would probably be that withers is gone before Fick.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:35 pm

JCoz wrote:I don't have a position Peeks just bringing info...but if there was a wager for me it would probably be that withers is gone before Fick.

Okay. We can wager on that. Because Withers will outlast Fickell here. And Fickell, right or wrong, will wear any and every criticism of the defense during a period of transition where there will be struggles defensively due to misfit pieces and parts and changes in scheme.

The Fickell retention was beautiful for two reasons:

1. Good PR. Dude deserved a payday and a gig for taking the bullet as I've already said. Buckeyes and St. Urban look great in doing it and Fickell can recruit.

2. See first paragraph. Ready made scapegoat for any issues and defensive lapses who, as a guy Urban inherited as opposed to hired, will be the lightning rod. And that won't come from Meyer... but instead you'll hear whispers, etc through those trusty back channels.

If you don't think this is going to be the case, well, let's just wait and watch it play out...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Shut up.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Shut up.

Why don't you go lick a frozen Pole? And then a metal one after that ya schnitzel-snorting fucktard.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 pm

You've been very angry lately. Maybe you need some pills.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:I don't have a position Peeks just bringing info...but if there was a wager for me it would probably be that withers is gone before Fick.

Okay. We can wager on that. Because Withers will outlast Fickell here. And Fickell, right or wrong, will wear any and every criticism of the defense during a period of transition where there will be struggles defensively due to misfit pieces and parts and changes in scheme.

1. Good PR. Dude deserved a payday and a gig for taking the bullet as I've already said. Buckeyes and St. Urban look great in doing it and Fickell can recruit.

2. See first paragraph. Ready made scapegoat for any issues and defensive lapses who, as a guy Urban inherited as opposed to hired, will be the lightning rod. And that won't come from Meyer... but instead you'll hear whispers, etc through those trusty back channels.

If you don't think this is going to be the case, well, let's just wait and watch it play out...

Man you seem all worked up on this. I really dont care Peeks about whether Fickell is going to get a job somewhere else soon. A scape goat is only needed if shit goes wrong, and I seriously doubt that is going to be the case anyways. Withers would have taken the Houston job if he was offered it, so I think he's a lot more likely to move on, and he has a better resume, so he's prbably also more likely to get an offer. 2+2 there.

I wouldn't be surprised given the expected trajectory of the team that they both aren't gone by 2014.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:You've been very angry lately. Maybe you need some pills.

I have way more pills than you.

And I asked you a heartfelt and direct question on twitter, douchebag.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm

CDT is too cool for Twitter, what are you talking about Peeks.

He's the coolest.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm not worked up about it at all. Just saying Fickell better show his wife the writing on the wall or be extremely pleased with being an assistant head coach somewhere.

OSU and Meyer aren't carrying him ad infinitum.

That's all.

I was gonna wager you a 6 of good stuff too.

And believe me, I know you don't think things will go wrong down there. Not now. :lmfao:

But please, PLEASE..bookmark this thread.

On second thought, no need. I'll remember it.

Merry Christmas, JCoz. Sincerely. I'm glad you're always around in this forum even if e0y2e3 isn't ;-) ;) :wink:

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Man you seem all worked up on this. I really dont care Peeks about whether Fickell is going to get a job somewhere else soon. A scape goat is only needed if shit goes wrong, and I seriously doubt that is going to be the case anyways. Withers would have taken the Houston job if he was offered it, so I think he's a lot more likely to move on, and he has a better resume, so he's prbably also more likely to get an offer. 2+2 there.

I wouldn't be surprised given the expected trajectory of the team that they both aren't gone by 2014.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey I'll make the wager just for kicks Peek. Name the 6er. I'm picking withers though for entirely differnt reasons than you are picking Fickell

FWIW, I really dont believe he was offered the Pitt job, which would mean I believe he's never been offered a HC gig.

I dont think it will go wrong because we had the youngest defense that I've ever seen this season, younger than the 04 squad, which was the last time we had a shitty defense. That and the B1G just aint all that, we've had substantially more talent for a looooooooooong time now. People caught up in what they saw this season are using some skin deep analysis.

Remember I was questioning Furls optimism on the secondary coming into this season, although not THAT hard, lol, and they were much worse than I could have ever imagined.

Anyways Merry Christmas to you as well.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Time will tell, sir. Time will tell.

I'll go 4-pack of the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

You choose yours (not that it will matter) ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I heard that was fantastic, so I guess we will go with that, because I wouldn't try to burdon you with trying to get your hands on KBS.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:59 pm

A couple of former players have remarked that they didn't know how Urban Meyer got their email addresses, but they appreciated his message to them...all former players are said to have received this note:

As the new Head Football Coach of The Ohio State University Football Team, I extend a special welcome and invitation to all former Buckeye players to join us whenever your schedules allow. The greatness of The Ohio State University and its proud and hallowed traditions come from your contributions and your continued support and attendance of any events that you wish to attend which emphasizes the importance of the great Buckeye Nation.

I also urge you to renew acquaintances and memories of your time in Columbus. While attending The Ohio State University, you contributed to making it a Premier Academic institution that ranks in the top 1% of colleges and universities in the Nation. As you tour the campus, the Woody Hayes Athletic Facility and Ohio Stadium, I am sure that you will feel the energy and excitement of our student athletes and staff, and see the continued growth of Buckeye Football consistent with the tradition that all of you contributed to building.

The tradition of the Big 10 Conference and National Championships at The Ohio State University are consistent with the expectations of all former players and alumni. I know that such expectations were a part of the legacies of great Hall of Fame coaches Woody Hayes, Earle Bruce, John Cooper and future Hall of Famer Jim Tressel.

I can only commit to you that I will recruit the best student athletes, coach them as hard as possible to give the maximum effort for four to six seconds on every play in every game on every Saturday that they represent “The Ohio State University.” With intensity and emotion, I am confident that your Buckeye Pride along with your support and loyalty will be rewarded by a hard hitting, dedicated and tough effort from your Buckeye Football Team.

Former Buckeye players and Buckeye alumni and friends everywhere built the great legacy of The Ohio State University. Your loyalty, contributions and sacrifices are sacred and appreciated by all of us. Shelley and I welcome you and pledge to you that your 2012 Buckeye Football Team will add to the legacy of Ohio Stadium."
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Scout has said Hinton would end up on staff for months, now OZone is claiming proof. Huge get, as he is a vital recruiter for ND.

On as TE coach supposedly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 am

Only leaves OL/OC. Strangely not much buzz about that job at all. As a matter of fact, the silence is defeaning. I am willing to bet Studwara has already agreed to the job and is keeping it quiet because of the NCG. Everyone learned from the Les Miles disaster in '07.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 am

Yeah I heard the same sentiment from some staff at BN Furls, which I highly doubted a week ago because there is honestly nothing except the silence pointing to him. Every other point you could probably bring up points to him staying at LSU, so its just really strange to me.

About keeping quiet, I'm not sure why that would matter for thier OL/OC, it certainly didn't cause any problems when Pelini did it.
JCoz

Re: Urban Staff Hire/Rumor Thread (only OL to go)

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 am

Studs could only be co-OC.

Also, Urban said he is announcing his staff 1/3. That doesn't jive at all with LSU playing 1/9 or whatever.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:57 am

I know he could only be co-oc E0, thats part of why Studrawa still makes no sense. I know we've been on the same page with this one the whole way. With LSU's OC having Parkinsons, coming to OSU would AT BEST be a Parallel move for him and possibly a demotion. I doubt OSU will offer more money than Les will either.

Maybe given Meyer wants to announce on the 3rd we should be looking at the teams playing on the 2nd for clues beyond the Studs rumors.
JCoz

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:39 am

I seem to remember an article (maybe posted here, I can't remember) mentioning John Hevesy the OL coach from Mississippi State as a possibility. Any thoughts on him being possible? The timeline for the 3rd seems to fit.

Found the article http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/2011/1 ... candidates
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Still have heard 0 about an OL coach. There have been rumors about everyone else, and all of them have panned out to be true for the most part (except Stoops as DC). Leads me to believe that the Studwara rumors are still true. There are also rumors that he was not going to be Miles' choice to stay on as OC, so if you audition for a job and don't get it, a lateral move does make sense. If Miles was ever going to promote him it would be this year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:18 pm

I guess we have a good person to ask about that right on the board Furls.

I'd point out that the other rumors made logical sense for the most part. There were heavy rumors that Herman was taking a demotion to come here, that didn't make any sense and was shown to not be true. I had heard nothing about Studs not being Miles choice to stay on as OC. That if true would change the dynamic and it would start to make more sense.

But just like E0 pointed out, why is Meyer going to annouce basically JUST studrawa on the 3rd? Right now all we have are the Ohio/Meyer connection (which it wouldn't be the first time studs said no to Meyer) and the silence is deafining angle.

Thats pretty light on substance.

But I'm rooting for that outcome Furls I really am.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Pretty sure Meyer interviewed an OL coach last week as well. I think it was the A&M Oline coach maybe.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:41 pm

JCoz wrote:Pretty sure Meyer interviewed an OL coach last week as well. I think it was the A&M Oline coach maybe.

Jim Hunter is the A&M guy of whom you speak. He took a job on the Texas Tech staff earlier this month...which is not to say he couldn't be Meyer's guy...just that he has recently accepted a different offer.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm

danwismar wrote:
JCoz wrote:Pretty sure Meyer interviewed an OL coach last week as well. I think it was the A&M Oline coach maybe.

Jim Hunter is the A&M guy of whom you speak. He took a job on the Texas Tech staff earlier this month...which is not to say he couldn't be Meyer's guy...just that he has recently accepted a different offer.

I think it was someone else then, Marylands OL coach perhaps? EDIT: It was Tennessee's Oline coach that was supposed to have interviewed Harry Hiestand.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Per Thamel, as an Assistant AD Mariotti gets four full-time football only staff members under him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:16 pm

So we will have 5 instead of 4 then?
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm

I am in no way convinced that Stud will become tOSU OL coach, I am just saying I have nothing else to postulate. There really is nothing out there that I have seen.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Does anyone know if Harry Hiestand did interview? Thats the only real interview I believe that has been scheduled.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:20 am

peeker643 wrote:
I'll go 4-pack of the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

Drop a shot of Southern Comfort in Busch and save the money. That shit is aweful.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Footballscoop.com says here is your OL coach...

Unread postby gnati » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:46 am

gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Looks like a good hire....of course I'm partial to Purple Raiders

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Good Hire.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Buckeyes are flying home tonight. Team meeting with Urban Meyer - 7:00 a.m. tomorrow

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Hopefully he throws a trashcan at Jim Bollman after telling him to take his big, fat walrus-looking ass out of the Woody. This game made me remember why I hated him so much. I was actually feeling a little bad about him losing his job... until today.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena