Text Size

College Sports Arena

NCAA ruling on OSU expected Tuesday

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

NCAA ruling on OSU expected Tuesday

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Sorry...got nothing more than that....per "insiders" at Scout, from "sources"...

They are not expecting a bowl ban...but if they get one, it will probably be for next year, since they are too far down the road to pull the plug on the Gator Bowl people now.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: NCAA ruling on OSU expected Tuesday

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 pm

About damn time.

Lazy fucks.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Will E$SPN be running a "Countdown to OSU Judgement" clock?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:30 am

hmmm, good idea. We suggest it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm starting to hear whispers that OSU received the letter already and that no additional penalties will be levied beyond those already self imposed.

Sounds too good to be true, I figured on at least a couple more schollys lost and maybe somemore probation, and I still thought worst case scenario could yield a 1 year bowl ban.

Hopefully its true
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:53 pm

JCoz wrote:I'm starting to hear whispers that OSU received the letter already and that no additional penalties will be levied beyond those already self imposed.

Sounds too good to be true, I figured on at least a couple more schollys lost and maybe somemore probation, and I still thought worst case scenario could yield a 1 year bowl ban.

Hopefully its true

I never believed there would be a bowl ban unless they took us all the way to LOIC. I am really surprised that the NCAA didn't throw in some notional additional penalties to at least attempt to continue the facade that they are running the show.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:37 pm

So are you hearing/reading the same then?

I didn't think it was likely that we would get a bowl ban, but there is no telling with the NCAA. I thought there was NO WAY until we received the FTM charge. I know precedent says nobody gets it for FTM but still, it could be there in a worst case scenario IMO.

But I absolutely thought more ships would/will be taken. We'll see
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm

JCoz wrote:So are you hearing/reading the same then?

I didn't think it was likely that we would get a bowl ban, but there is no telling with the NCAA. I thought there was NO WAY until we received the FTM charge. I know precedent says nobody gets it for FTM but still, it could be there in a worst case scenario IMO.

But I absolutely thought more ships would/will be taken. We'll see

Lots of rumors about releasing tomorrow, but nothing solid. Sounds like tOSU's sanctions will stand if the rumors are true. We got a little insight into the potential sanctions when Dodd twitted that tOSU was going to ruin his holidays for a second straight year. It is no secret that Penis Dodd things the Buckeyes should be massacred for tattgate.

I wonder where his shock and disgust is for Miami, UNC, USC, Boise St., $cam Newton, 'Bama (and Julio Jones' $20K in suits, oh yeah, how did Trent Richardson pay for his 50K SUV?), Oregon and so on. There are so many far worse scandals than tOSU that is pretty shocking.

I am really shocked, honestly (no BS), that Chip Kelly still has a job. He shouldn't.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Give it time furls, see what the NCAA investigation turns up.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:30 pm

JCoz wrote:Give it time furls, see what the NCAA investigation turns up.

The investigation will only turn up what journalists discover via freedom of information act disclosures. The NCAA will get nothing out of Oregon.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Lyles is talking though unless they open up thier check books again to shut him up...
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:24 pm

It's coming down today at about 3 p.m.

Brace yourself for the media outrage.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Over under on number of houses Greg Doyle burns down?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:36 pm

It's the Dennis Dodd column I'm waiting for.

And Jason Whitlock...

...and SportsbyBrooks...

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:42 pm

Yeah, this is going to be fuglyyyyy.

ESPN probably will be happy now because they love Urban.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah, this is going to be fuglyyyyy.

This is going to be one of my favorite sub-plots of next season. ESPN drives far too much in ratings hating OSU to switch courses now.

But how hard will they come down on their boy Urban?

Is Herbie, a noted Urban fanboy, going to have to constantly criticize him on the network?
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Hearing one extra scholly docked, no bowl ban, but Tress getting hammered hard with 3-5 year show cause.

Hooley was on Patricks show in his usual form, that Meyer proves nothing changed in Cbus, that USC fans should be up in arms, etc. Patrick was saying he was glad they hammered Tress because its about time they took it to coaches...

Just the beginings of today's media butthurt symphony.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

JCoz wrote:Hearing one extra scholly docked, no bowl ban, but Tress getting hammered hard with 3-5 year show cause.

You have any links/sources JCoz? Or more of a hearsay/talk thing?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Hearsay Peeks, would have def. included a link if I it was solid. But its being said in multiple places at this point, so I am willing to wager this is pretty spot on, but we will see.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah, this is going to be fuglyyyyy.

This is going to be one of my favorite sub-plots of next season. ESPN drives far too much in ratings hating OSU to switch courses now.

But how hard will they come down on their boy Urban?

Is Herbie, a noted Urban fanboy, going to have to constantly criticize him on the network?

ESPN is already blowing Urban, linking him to recruits like DGB and Goldman (top two recruits in the country) after the Spence thing on SC when in fact those guys are not even coming for visits.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 pm

The show cause penalty for Tressel of 3-5 years is consistent with past practice. In fact, given the nature of the violations, five years would probably be more appropriate than three, if you take past precedent as your guide. It's another reason why it was so silly to be linking JT to other college jobs in recent weeks. A show cause finding was a no-brainer, and it makes him radioactive to other schools...virtually unhireable. (spellcheck says that's not a word)

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm expecting a one-year bowl ban effective for next year. Many people close to the team do not think they're going to get one, but I think the NCAA is too conscious of public opinion to let the program off with just self-inflicted penalties. In fact I think a one year ban is more likely than any scholarship reductions beyond the five they self-imposed.

Of course, even that will not be enough for some people.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Dan I thought it was always a possibility. But it's worth noting that it would not be consistant with precedant, as Furls did above.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:55 pm

JCoz wrote:Dan I thought it was always a possibility. But it's worth noting that it would not be consistant with precedant, as Furls did above.

True enough. I'm just figuring on the NCAA being as arbitrary and political as they have so often shown themselves to be. And if they do give OSU a one-year ban, it will be hard for even the most ardent OSU fan to make a case that it's unfair punishment.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Am I reading this correctly, the media gets the answer at 2 but is expected to keep up an embargo until 3?

HA!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:00 pm

danwismar wrote:
JCoz wrote:Dan I thought it was always a possibility. But it's worth noting that it would not be consistant with precedant, as Furls did above.

True enough. I'm just figuring on the NCAA being as arbitrary and political as they have so often shown themselves to be. And if they do give OSU a one-year ban, it will be hard for even the most ardent OSU fan to make a case that it's unfair punishment.

I wouldn't agrue that, but I would find it an especially spitefull move in that the NCAA took this much time to announce it, instead of punishing the team this season, you know, the one that still has some of those players that caused the trouble actually ON it.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Am I reading this correctly, the media gets the answer at 2 but is expected to keep up an embargo until 3?

HA!

That might have been possible pre-Twitter, but....

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:07 pm

JCoz wrote:
danwismar wrote:

I wouldn't agrue that, but I would find it an especially spitefull move in that the NCAA took this much time to announce it, instead of punishing the team this season, you know, the one that still has some of those players that caused the trouble actually ON it.

The pre-announcement sentiment at Scout seems to be that Smith should lose his job immediately if they get a bowl ban for next year, because with all his vaunted connections, he should have been aware that a ban was coming soon enough to self-impose it for this year and get it out of the way...something we've been saying here for months. At best, if there is a ban, Smith will be looking extremely foolish, and they will have a lot to answer for with some 2012 recruits.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:08 pm

^ I agree with that Dan.

Also, Coz, you have to keep in mind how destroyed the NCAA got with investigations over the last year. The guys at Scout seem to think that the NCAA has wanted to get rid of this OSU decision for awhile but has just been taking new investigation responsibilities on one after another.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Well I would agree with that sentiment Dan. And I hear what you are saying E0.

Are people on scout expecting a post season ban then? That would be directly counter to posters on BN, no word from staff today.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:31 pm

No.

They aren't going as far as to say anything beyond "No one inside of OSU is worried or seems worried at all"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Most people are trusting in the word of nevada that there will be no ban....but various folks are hearing from "sources" that are saying otherwise...who knows how credible they may be. For me, an announcement of a penalty that is essentially "time served", plus a show cause for JT (which affects the OSU program not one bit) seems too good to be true.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:34 pm

danwismar wrote:Most people are trusting in the word of nevada that there will be no ban....but various folks are hearing from "sources" that are saying otherwise...who knows how credible they may be. For me, an announcement of a penalty that is essentially "time served", plus a show cause for JT (which affects the OSU program not one bit) seems too good to be true.

Hard to believe that anyone would take his word on this particular topic.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Jeff Rapp:

Not hearing postseason ban for #OhioState. They are most likely going to extend the scholarship reduction to 10 over three years (4, 3, 3).
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:54 pm

JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Welp: http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stor ... eport.html

That's not good and pretty much confirms that Gene Smith has been spreading bullshit to everyone everywhere.

So much for those connections.

EVERYONE with any sources into the program reported no concern from the athletic department.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Smith should have his fucking bags packed.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:58 pm

ANd FTR: nevada's sources are guys within OSU. He reported that either they are the greatest actors ever or no one has even the faintest concern of a bowl ban.

You go Gene Smith.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:58 pm

One of those times when you're sorry you guessed right.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

We all know Smith was/is stepping down soon (after hoops season at the latest) as part of Urban coming to town...right?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:ANd FTR: nevada's sources are guys within OSU. He reported that either they are the greatest actors ever or no one has even the faintest concern of a bowl ban.

You go Gene Smith.

Oh I realize that, I was more reffering to Tatgate being a 9th page news story in two weeks....

But either way, dont care about NB right now.

Want Gene smiths head on a stick.
JCoz

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Unfuckingbelieveable. If Smith has a job come summer, I'll be shocked. Regardless, this is bullshit.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 pm

That is a seriously absurd amount of lost scholarships....and it's going to hurt for the entire time Miller is on board. Gut check time.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:39 pm

The lost schollies aren't a huge deal. It hurts but not that bad. Tell Archie to pay for his damn kid to go to school.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Honestly, the thing that blows me away here is the acting job from Smith.

Reading Urban's comments on the situation goes to show you exactly what Smith, Mr. I'm Super Connected, was feeding to everyone in the program about this shit.

What a fucking joke he is.

How can you be super-connected NCAA douche and fuck this up.

If we lose one recruit.....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Smith lied to a lot of people (or overestimated his connections). He should be fired today, seriously.

Dan is exactly right, this is about public opinion, not infractions. Watch the penalty Miami gets for that shitstorm, it will be worse but not orders of magnitude worse.

As for 9 schollies over 3 years... big deal. Tressel typically undersigned by 3 every year.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:17 pm

That Smith should be fired should not be argued by anyone.

Forget about buckeye fan hurt feelings, and wanting to go to a bowl game and anger with accepting this shitty bowl when MANY thought the right thing to do was to be pro-active with a post season ban. Forget about that.

In straight dollars and cents, the reality of the situation is that his arrogance in NOT being preemptive could cost the university millions of dollars in B1G championship and Bowl payouts in 2012.
JCoz

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Smith not having the foresight to self imposing a bowl ban for this year is reason #1 for why he should be shit caned today.

I want a reporter to have the balls to stand up and ask him "So was the fucking Gator Bowl worth it?".
Last edited by Govbarney on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 pm

According to Marcus Hartman Swanky's comments on the call seemed to indicate that a bowl ban has been coming since March.

Biggest problems the NCAA had was tSV's bullshit "protecting the kids" argument when he fucking told Pryor's advisor about it.

Jim Freaking O'Brian making them a repeat offender (something Smith apparently had NO CLUE ABOUT)

And Pryor trying to go pro turning up the second round of booster shit that led to the Failure to Monitor (they found a check from whateverhisfuckingname is deposited in Pryor's bank account).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Pryor and Posey lose individual stats from 2010, which is well effing deserved.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Next

Return to College Sports Arena