Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns/Zona

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Browns/Zona

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:41 am

mattvan1 wrote:Good thoughts, which sum up the current dilemma of the NFL. Way OT, but the suits in NY have to realize that the NFL is on the road to being the NBA if the league does not roll back the O friendly rules and make it possible to not only compete but win a sausage with a QB who is not a first ballot HOF'er? I mean they have to see this, no?

We can hope. But maybe, like the NBA, they look at the ratings and say "You can't argue with the numbers", ignoring the fact that more people are tuning in hoping to see the hated teams lose than to watch their favorite team win.

The NBA had good numbers last year, and I can't remember a time when less people liked it. The NFL can certainly head down that road, since the must-have-elite-QB policy is negating a huge chunk of teams before the season even begins. People will start tuning in only to see other teams lose since their team is out of it before it begins.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:05 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Good thoughts, which sum up the current dilemma of the NFL. Way OT, but the suits in NY have to realize that the NFL is on the road to being the NBA if the league does not roll back the O friendly rules and make it possible to not only compete but win a sausage with a QB who is not a first ballot HOF'er? I mean they have to see this, no?

I think Delhomme, Gannon, and Dilfer fucked that up.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:Good thoughts, which sum up the current dilemma of the NFL. Way OT, but the suits in NY have to realize that the NFL is on the road to being the NBA if the league does not roll back the O friendly rules and make it possible to not only compete but win a sausage with a QB who is not a first ballot HOF'er? I mean they have to see this, no?

We can hope. But maybe, like the NBA, they look at the ratings and say "You can't argue with the numbers", ignoring the fact that more people are tuning in hoping to see the hated teams lose than to watch their favorite team win.

The NBA had good numbers last year, and I can't remember a time when less people liked it. The NFL can certainly head down that road, since the must-have-elite-QB policy is negating a huge chunk of teams before the season even begins. People will start tuning in only to see other teams lose since their team is out of it before it begins.

It really is amazing to watch all of you come to the same conclusions about NFL parity, QB play, etc that I dropped last year and the year before that only to be openly mocked.

Dicks.

And Spin, you're stupid.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Conclusions about the NFL in which you've repeatedly stated 15 times in past 2 years that you don't watch, especially the Browns.

Yeah OK.

LMAO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:27 pm

I watch the shit out of the NFL, mostly for fantasy reasons. I'd bet I watch WAY more games a year than, crushing the ticket every Sunday.

I give the Browns the first few games of the year every year, then quit.

Get. Your. Facts. Straight.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Of course you do, then you continue to comment on them all year, hahahaha, that's the point.

Many many people have been proclaiming the state of the NFL for years now, you a0i2n3t Nostradamus.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Bullshit, the parity lie regarding the NFL has been clung to like religion. It's insanity and just now people are starting to realize it.

I literally got laughed out of here for pointing this out over the last couple of years.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It really is amazing to watch all of you come to the same conclusions about NFL parity, QB play, etc that I dropped last year and the year before that only to be openly mocked.

Dicks.

And Spin, you're stupid.

There seems to be no parity in the AFC ( 3 teams in Super Bowl in last 8 years and we will probably see one of those 3 this year), while in the NFC there has been a different team in each of the last 10 years and if Romo or the Niners sneak in, it could be 11, but more then likely it will be a repeat team (Saints or Packers).
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Well you'll have to be specific about these parity lies/generalizations. B/C I've read a good number of posters here and on some more regional boards that have been on top of the state of the NFL for up to 5-6 year now.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 pm

You're right FUDU.

That's all. I have no desire to argue with you or your stupidity right now, or ever.

This board has clearly stated that the parity in the NFL is a lie and I didn't take massive amounts of shit for my stating that last year. You. Are. Right.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I know I'm right, b/c again this isn't about you, no matter how hard you try to make it so.

Maybe if you post that you said "this or that" 20 more times maybe somebody will take notice...

Sheesh imagine eye playing pictionary.

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You're right FUDU.

That's all. I have no desire to argue with you or your stupidity right now, or ever.

This board has clearly stated that the parity in the NFL is a lie and I didn't take massive amounts of shit for my stating that last year. You. Are. Right.

I don't feel like reviewing the last 2 seasons (even if it's only about 4 pages back -might have to read Fergus or TW Delaney or p.b. fan) but I do remember Lee's assertion that the NFL was a shitty prodcut. Not sure we ever got into the discussion regarding the necessity of having a HOF QB in order to win the Lombardi, but clearly Lee has held a consistent POV for some time.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 pm

The Meeeeeeee Deeeeee OOOOOOOOOOOOO Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Foooooooooooootball League
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:You're right FUDU.

I don't feel like reviewing the last 2 seasons (even if it's only about 4 pages back -might have to read Fergus or TW Delaney or p.b. fan) but I do remember Lee's assertion that the NFL was a shitty prodcut. Not sure we ever got into the discussion regarding the necessity of having a HOF QB in order to win the Lombardi, but clearly Lee has held a consistent POV for some time.

Of course he's said the NFL is a shitty product (and said so for a good few years), eye NFL takes and subjectivity go hand in hand. It's directly related to the his love of the NBA in relation to the success and the public's view of the NFL in general. Call it pigskin envy.

As far as the whole thing about team today's needing an elite HOF QB to win it all...that has been part of the NFL conversation for as much as 4 years now. Becoming much more prevalent in the past 2-3 years. What becomes interesting is the debate of which comes first the elite HOF career status or the SB ring? Eg: is Brees not elite if he doesn't win his SB two seasons ago?

As far as the NFL being mediocre or watered down, um, no. It isn't at a historical high level of talent but there is plenty of talent in this league. Hell there might be more talent at the QB position than at any other time in history. There's probably 4 HOF QBs over 29 yo right now, with a possible 2-3 more young ones on the way. Hell 2 of the best 5-6 LBs ever are playing right now as well. The thing now is the impact of trending rules and coaching/schemes can neutralize some talent and prevent one guy from impacting the game in ways they might have 10-20 years ago. Some people see no true HOF type RB or the need for such and think the NFL sucks.

FUDU

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL