Text Size

College Sports Arena

Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Consolidated Recruiting Post

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:51 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh absolutely Pup.

"Urban Liar!!!!!" was an OSU rally-cry from 2006 forward. The fans went nuts about the Floyd dream thing too. He was too slimy for OSU, etc....

A LOT of hypocrites out there right now. Like 75+% of the fanbase.

On shit. I abused the crap out of him for that one. And I also called his first retirement a gimmick to get his team focused for their bowl game.

Much like I kill James Harrison for being a thug, but if he becomes available as a FA I'd take him.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:52 pm

JCoz wrote:To be fair I think Meyer isn't a guy you are going to like much unless he's on your side. I certainly have made comments about his players getting in trouble like Rainey, and his recruiting tactics.

Course none of those feelings have changed, he's just on our side of the field now. I always respectted him as a coach.

Pup I did a quick search for the thread you are talking about but only found one titled "Tressel under fire" where firing Tress and Hiring Meyer is brought up and there isn't anyone opposed to Meyer in that thread, more turned into a debate on whether he would come to OSU or leave UF.

Maybe it came to me in a dream :hide:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Via Bill K at BN, Jordan Diamond quote/slip possibly....

When I asked him about Noah Spence committing to Ohio State, Diamond said, “That’s a good pick-up for Ohio State. Of course the more competition we bring in on the defensive line the better we will be.”
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:15 pm

pup wrote: I was speaking about a certain exchange when people wanted Tress fired for being too conservative. Someone asked who would we replace him with. I said the ONLY person to even consider firing Tress for was Urban. And cats went bat shit nuts with not wanting Urban.

Reviewed some of those threads (on vacation and bored), and it's not like you were Lone Wof McQuade out there, Pup. There were a few who were fine with Meyer, including me, Furls, Lead, JB.

Not Peeks, however. Still carries torch for tSV <sniff>

Oh, and SSS compared Meyer to Joe Tiller.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Whatever time the 2006 NC Game ended I decided for eternity I would sell my soul to trade tSV for Meyer.

And he's pretty much the only coach I felt that way about, ever.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:06 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
pup wrote: I was speaking about a certain exchange when people wanted Tress fired for being too conservative. Someone asked who would we replace him with. I said the ONLY person to even consider firing Tress for was Urban. And cats went bat shit nuts with not wanting Urban.

Reviewed some of those threads (on vacation and bored), and it's not like you were Lone Wof McQuade out there, Pup. There were a few who were fine with Meyer, including me, Furls, Lead, JB.

Not Peeks, however. Still carries torch for tSV <sniff>

Oh, and SSS compared Meyer to Joe Tiller.

I liked you more than a prostate exam, once upon a time. Things do change.

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Peeker has always been the forum's light house of morality.

He's only a hypocrite when he has to damnit!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:34 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Peeker has always been the forum's light house of morality.

He's only a hypocrite when he has to damnit!!

Only when it's convenient. That's the only time I'm hypocritical or will ever lie.

You guys can count on me for that which should comfort you all.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Meyer is a lot more cutthroat than Tressel. There was a time, when I thought the extra things that JT did for the university were good. After the ringer that this school and Tressel were dragged through, it is apparent to me that all that really matters is winning. If you like winning, there is no question that Meyer is better than Tressel. If you wanted to believe that your coach was about more than that than Meyer is not.

It is a shame that Tressel ruined all that positive work with a bad choice, but such is life. What is that they say, "You can go your whole life as a straight man, but if you ..... then you are a cocksucker forever." You can't do the right thing MOST of the time and then take the moral high ground. So my new philosophy is, "Why even pretend?" As long as Meyer keeps the APR > 930 I don't give a shit if these guys are pimping their own mothers out in front of the 'Shoe before games.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Well, I haven't been around here since '06...more like '08...but I don't recall anyone advocating that Tressel be fired so we could hire Urban Meyer...but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

As far as the Meyer dream story...I wasn't so much appalled that Meyer concocted the story...more like amazed and stunned that Floyd bought it. At the time, it was pretty much understood and unremarkable that Jim Tressel wouldn't do that....because his recruiting style was much more passive than that (and as a result, he finished second on so many OOS recruits, to our endless frustration)

I thought he didn't do enough to get the best national recruits on campus. OSU and Columbus sells itself, with facilities, people, tradition...the city, etc. Tressel often wouldn't even use half of the official visits he was permitted, because he didn't like to bring kids in and offer, and then lose them...because he thought it reflected badly on the program. he liked to bring in only those kids he thought he had a great chance to land...and as a result I think sold the program and the school short on a lot of kids he might otherwise have gotten. We'll never know how many.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh I never advocated firing JT, but I always said he was a second caliber coach and that I would kill for Meyer.

JT never did anything to deserve firing until he threw his morals away for TPeezey2. I'm in no way saying we should have ran him out of town.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:31 pm

danwismar wrote:Well, I haven't been around here since '06...more like '08...but I don't recall anyone advocating that Tressel be fired so we could hire Urban Meyer...but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

As far as the Meyer dream story...I wasn't so much appalled that Meyer concocted the story...more like amazed and stunned that Floyd bought it.

My personal favorite Meyer recruiting story is the one where Jeavon Snead was committed in 2006 and Meyer was recruiting Tebow, and Snead asked Meyer about that and Meyer told him (allegedly) that he was recruiting Tebow to play linebacker.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:06 pm

By the way..."slimy" to me is not selling a recruit with a fairy tale about having a dream about him in a UF (or OSU) uniform. Slimy is paying off daddy with a five-or six-figure check laundered through boosters. By reliable accounts, that's the kind of thing Meyer objected to that was going on at Florida and in the SEC, and it's to his credit that he resigned rather than continue to wink at it. Now...please don't act like I just said he was pure as the driven snow...cause I didn't say that.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:12 pm

JCoz wrote:
danwismar wrote:Well, I haven't been around here since '06...more like '08...but I don't recall anyone advocating that Tressel be fired so we could hire Urban Meyer...but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.

As far as the Meyer dream story...I wasn't so much appalled that Meyer concocted the story...more like amazed and stunned that Floyd bought it.

My personal favorite Meyer recruiting story is the one where Jeavon Snead was committed in 2006 and Meyer was recruiting Tebow, and Snead asked Meyer about that and Meyer told him (allegedly) that he was recruiting Tebow to play linebacker.

I think Tebow would have been one hell of a good LB. He was a great college QB, but I think he could have been a pretty good NFL LB. Totally tanget to the original discussion.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:13 pm

at Florida Dan?

I think if the story I posted was true I would count that as slimy. Directly lying to a recruit is not above board in my book. Hell that Dream story might have been true, Meyer recruiting in his dreams? Not hard to believe, lol.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:14 pm

furls wrote:
JCoz wrote:

I think Tebow would have been one hell of a good LB. He was a great college QB, but I think he could have been a pretty good NFL LB. Totally tanget to the original discussion.

Probably.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:15 pm

danwismar wrote:By the way..."slimy" to me is not selling a recruit with a fairy tale about having a dream about him in a UF (or OSU) uniform. Slimy is paying off daddy with a five-or six-figure check laundered through boosters. By reliable accounts, that's the kind of thing Meyer objected to that was going on at Florida and in the SEC, and it's to his credit that he resigned rather than continue to wink at it. Now...please don't act like I just said he was pure as the driven snow...cause I didn't say that.

There are a lot of sourceless rumors regarding Meyer's terrible, irreconcileable relationship with Flordia's Bull Gators Boosters. Google it if you are bored, you will probably read some stuff that is pretty well written and very interesting.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:21 pm

I will not say that the sliminess is restricted to the SouthEast, it is just more obvious there. How did this story just go away?

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/20 ... -right-now

Sure does check with what I heard about the final days of the Tajh Boyd recruiting. He was signed, sealed and delivered to tOSU right up until 3 days before committing, then out of nowhere... Clemson (and rumors of a 5 figure cash payout). I lived in South Carolina, I have no doubt that there was plenty of money for recruiting payouts.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:27 pm

This looks like the standard Clemson NLOID signing bonus....

http://leftoverhotdog.blogspot.com/2008 ... happy.html

BTW, this is a different player Kenneth Page who committed to Clemson under suspicious circumstances as well.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:35 pm

furls wrote:
danwismar wrote:By the way..."slimy" to me is not selling a recruit with a fairy tale about having a dream about him in a UF (or OSU) uniform. Slimy is paying off daddy with a five-or six-figure check laundered through boosters. By reliable accounts, that's the kind of thing Meyer objected to that was going on at Florida and in the SEC, and it's to his credit that he resigned rather than continue to wink at it. Now...please don't act like I just said he was pure as the driven snow...cause I didn't say that.

There are a lot of sourceless rumors regarding Meyer's terrible, irreconcileable relationship with Flordia's Bull Gators Boosters. Google it if you are bored, you will probably read some stuff that is pretty well written and very interesting.

Cant find anything, can you fill me in?
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 pm

furls wrote:I will not say that the sliminess is restricted to the SouthEast, it is just more obvious there. How did this story just go away?

http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/20 ... -right-now

Sure does check with what I heard about the final days of the Tajh Boyd recruiting. He was signed, sealed and delivered to tOSU right up until 3 days before committing, then out of nowhere... Clemson (and rumors of a 5 figure cash payout). I lived in South Carolina, I have no doubt that there was plenty of money for recruiting payouts.

Huh...I always thought it was him getting big-headed after that all-star game MVP and deciding he didnt need to sit behind TP for a couple seasons....
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Let's not forget that Bollman paid off and hooked up a kid illegaly in 2002....

That tackle kid whose name escapes me.

And most are pretty sure Pryor got paid by someone.

Those who throw stones.....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:51 pm

No idea who you are reffering to E0.

I have heard Pryor had a price tag when he was still on the market.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:58 pm

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/148096-post163.html

And yes, that sack of shit Bollman should have been canned back in 2002 for this, which is according to most more than even what was admitted here.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:16 pm

I do not remember reading anything about that before now. Strange.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Hadn't heard about the Bollman thing with Morris. It still pales in comparison with every single one of the events I listed above except the Boise St. thing which was gay, but still constituted LOIC by the NCAA's stupid rules.

As for a Pryor buy out, never saw a rumor from a reputable source. Most of the stuff I heard about Pryor's recruitment was the typical sour grapes stuff. Would it surprise me? No. But again, I have not seen anything to make me think that it happened (other than Pryor's "character").

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:21 pm

I will look for stuff on the Bull Gators for you. Apparently there is a bull gator website now that has done some pretty heavy SEO stuff and has inadvertently made it impossible to use Google to find any of the old stories.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:32 pm

I see we're venturing back into 'Price Tag vs. Process' debates again... I love those. Especially since there are no such things as mortal sins in college athletics any longer.

Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. And SMU would laugh at their penalty of that time.

As long as our guy is 'cleaner' than their guy all is well.

Relatively?

http://bit.ly/tQQcJ9

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:I see we're venturing back into 'Price Tag vs. Process' debates again... I love those. Especially since there are no such things as mortal sins in college athletics any longer.

Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. And SMU would laugh at their penalty of that time.

Relatively?

Sad thing is that I don't even care about that anymore. As long as our guy doesn't get caught is all I care about. I just hate the hypocrisy of it all.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 am

to answer Coz's question, I am not aware of specific instances of payments like that at Florida. I was referring to the general SEC culture of pay-to-play that is the open secret of college football.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:41 am

peeker643 wrote:I see we're venturing back into 'Price Tag vs. Process' debates again... I love those. Especially since there are no such things as mortal sins in college athletics any longer.

Relatively?

I don't see a debate here.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 am

danwismar wrote:to answer Coz's question, I am not aware of specific instances of payments like that at Florida. I was referring to the general SEC culture of pay-to-play that is the open secret of college football.

I'm starting to understand this a bit better now.

Take a look at what I was reading about this morning. -

About the 5-star RB TJ Yeldon that Bama just flipped from Auburn

Summary post on BN:
So Bama flipped 5 Star RB T.J. Yeldon from Auburn today. Yeldon is going to enroll early so Auburn is saying that Bama influenced Yeldon to wait until the last hours before the Dead Period started to announce his decision.

Since he is enrolling early they are saying Bama was able to have Yeldon hold off on announcing his flip so that once the Dead Period ends he will already be enrolled at Bama, and no coaches can contact him. Auburn fans are losing their minds right now. They are saying Saban took it to them because not only can they not try to find out what happened, but they have to wait until January to try to find some other back at a position of need.

Pretty friggin slick move by Saban and Co. if I do say so myself

Link to AU board thread on it:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=8454131

The most interesting post to me from AU fan
AUEngineer90
If Mr. Yeldon wants to go to Alabama after telling everyone that he was signing with us, then good riddance. With that sort of bankrupt character, he is not and will not be an Auburn man that lives by the Creed.

If something fishy is going on, lets find out. Is Daphne in Mobile or Baldwin County? Are their Probate records online for use to view? As in the Calloway situation, look also for slight mispellings of the family name as they hid a tax lien payoff that way in Franklin County. They can always go back and file a correction, long after the fire dies out, or the kid gets processed.
Check for mortgage satisfactions or new deeds of record in the next 30 days. Any other public records that can be checked? Anyone work in either county in proximity to the courthouse there?

See, this is interesting to me because since 10 years ago when I found my first message board and was introduced to recruiting, this is just not a thread or comment that you would ever see on a B1G board. Ever. This is just not the type of things that you see going on. Peeker, before you try to jump in with some comment about comparisons or debate or glass houses, understand that I’m bringing this in here because to me its riveting stuff. I’m being enlightened on how SEC fans follow recruiting. No I’m not just taking some anonymous message board accusations and taking them as fact, I’m honestly intrigued at this guys response. I realize it’s a different situation, but you’d never find a PSU fan making this post about Urban flipping Cam Williams if it happened. It’s the familiarity with which this guy talks about which dark corners to check for sloppy paperwork and whatnot.

It is just really interesting to me because after 10+ years, you see a lot of repetition with regards to threads, particularly when it comes to recruiting and coaching. And you wont have found a thread like this on any B1G board the last decade. This or anything like the Bobby Lowder thread from Tiger Droppings, which I also found extremely interesting.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 am

It's riveting, for sure. No argument there. But it is interesting in a Movie of the Week kind of way. It's a way of life. And the fact you don't read about it here doesn't mean it doesn't happen here. It means, IMO and spending a lot of time in TN, SC, NC, GA, AR, etc (KY thinks and prides themselves on believing they're SEC but no one's listening) that it's a matter of culture. Simple as that.

But again, end of the day, it's irrelevant. Although I will grant you they are fucking crazy down there about this stuff and I could listen to them argue and fight for hours.

But it's someone practicing medicine without a medical license. Doesn't matter if he's taking a sliver from under the skin, suturing a minor laceration or doing vascular work.

Like Furls said, it's the hypocrisy. That's what makes me sick and makes me laugh.

There are no 'levels' of right and wrong in recruiting, IMO. You're either completely above board or you're fucking cheating. And Ohio State ain't completely above board. None of these football schools are.

Already established that others opinions may vary. And to be clear, I'm like Furls. I don't give a shit as long as it's not OSU in the crosshairs. The 11th commandment is Thou Shalt Not Get Caught.

But don't confuse that with clean. And it seems like we always get a feeling of superiority as Buckeye fans because it's not as cartoonish or as blatant as it is somewhere else.

That's all I'm saying.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:27 am

And that isnt something I'm arguing Peek, so I dont exactly know why you keep bringing it into this.

OSU's hands are dirty.

That doesn't mean cheating cannot be talked about. No one is sitting on a high horse anymore.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:42 am

peeker643 wrote:It's riveting, for sure. No argument there. But it is interesting in a Movie of the Week kind of way. It's a way of life. And the fact you don't read about it here doesn't mean it doesn't happen here. It means, IMO and spending a lot of time in TN, SC, NC, GA, AR, etc (KY thinks and prides themselves on believing they're SEC but no one's listening) that it's a matter of culture. Simple as that.

But again, end of the day, it's irrelevant. Although I will grant you they are fucking crazy down there about this stuff and I could listen to them argue and fight for hours.

But it's someone practicing medicine without a medical license. Doesn't matter if he's taking a sliver from under the skin, suturing a minor laceration or doing vascular work.

Like Furls said, it's the hypocrisy. That's what makes me sick and makes me laugh.

There are no 'levels' of right and wrong in recruiting, IMO. You're either completely above board or you're fucking cheating. And Ohio State ain't completely above board. None of these football schools are.

Already established that others opinions may vary. And to be clear, I'm like Furls. I don't give a shit as long as it's not OSU in the crosshairs. The 11th commandment is Thou Shalt Not Get Caught.

But don't confuse that with clean. And it seems like we always get a feeling of superiority as Buckeye fans because it's not as cartoonish or as blatant as it is somewhere else.

That's all I'm saying.

If anything Peeks, the question that naturally arises to me is just what kind of Blitzkrieg the other B1G programs are in for with Meyer. I used to make a joke about how if the B1G was just as rampant in cheating as the SEC, we must be alot better at bcause we dont get caught. Well now I don't think think we are better at it at all, lol.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:51 am

This stuff just started in a more manor dirty in the SEC. They're ahead of the B1G on the evolutionary curve. Urban Cheater threads are already popping up all over the B1G network on Scout.

Give it a few years, they won't be smart enough to check court documents (and honestly this is Bama - Auburn, a more hateful rivalry than OSU - Michigan by a decent bit), but the accusations are coming and coming hard.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:53 am

That's pretty much what i just said.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am

It's worth mentioning that throughout this whole affair, OSU was never even accused of any recruiting violations. None.

And to say that there are not different levels of violations in recruiting is just silly, IMO. Of course there are. A phone call by the wrong representative of the school...on the wrong day...vs. a six-figure payoff to a family member to secure a commitment. One is just as bad as the other? They're both "cheaters", and no distinction ought to be made between the two? C'mon.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 am

JCoz wrote:And that isnt something I'm arguing Peek, so I dont exactly know why you keep bringing it into this.

OSU's hands are dirty.

That doesn't mean cheating cannot be talked about. No one is sitting on a high horse anymore.

Okay. That's fine. It's just always been a double standard.

Best way I could put it is James Harrison is a dirty, cocksucking head hunter because of his style and because he's a Steeler.

If he was a Brown? He's be an aggressive, impact player. ;-) ;) :wink:

Same with OSU, Tressel, Pryor, Meyer, cheating, etc...

But again, the fanaticism and accompanying stupidity down south, I think, actually leads to some of the ridiculous cases of cheating and them getting caught.
It is cultural in many cases.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:09 am

danwismar wrote:It's worth mentioning that throughout this whole affair, OSU was never even accused of any recruiting violations. None.

Then obviously it simply doesn't and hasn't ever happened there. I apologize for the inference. :cheers:

And to say that there are not different levels of violations in recruiting is just silly, IMO. Of course there are. A phone call by the wrong representative of the school...on the wrong day...vs. a six-figure payoff to a family member to secure a commitment. One is just as bad as the other? They're both "cheaters", and no distinction ought to be made between the two? C'mon.

If the player ended up at a school because of improper benefits then, no, it doesn't matter the digits ahead of the decimal points, Dan. Not a bit. And to be clear, and because I don't think you're being purposely obtuse, I'm talking about benefits here. Although if you'd like to tell me which violations are right and just and which aren't maybe a list would help us all clarify this issue going forward. ;-) ;) :wink:

By the way, I said
"There are no 'levels' of right and wrong in recruiting, IMO. You're either completely above board or you're fucking cheating. And Ohio State ain't completely above board. None of these football schools are.

Right & wrong. That's not the same as 'violations' to begin with. Unless there are levels of lying that can also be listed out on a scale of 'okay lies' to 'Penn State lies'.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:13 am

danwismar wrote:It's worth mentioning that throughout this whole affair, OSU was never even accused of any recruiting violations. None.

Dan I agree with you, its just that it honestly isn't my point here in this thread, not a point I'm trying to make, and not one that I care about very much about debating here. That debate is a long waste of time. I still like to discuss the different cases in general whether it involves B1G or SEC or B12 or Pac12 teams.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:13 am

^ then you should probably not have hijacked "Consolidated Recruiting Post"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:26 am

I guess I could start a thread called 'Convenient OSU Recruiting Myths & SEC Travesties' and add these posts to that.

I din't mean to hi-jack this thread either. Apologize for that. It's just one of the very biggest kicks I get out of this place is this subject. And honestly, Browns, Tribe, Cavs included, there is nowhere near the teeth gnashing and excuse making and duplicitous opinions on people and issues as there is in the Buckeye threads.

And it's not even close. Buckeye fans may not be hypocritical like they are in the SEC and they may not be as fervently sanctimonious, but they lead these boards in all of those categories.

And I'm a Buckeye fan and have been guilty of all of it myself.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 am

peeker643 wrote:I guess I could start a thread called 'Convenient OSU Recruiting Myths & SEC Travesties' and add these posts to that.

I din't mean to hi-jack this thread either. Apologize for that. It's just one of the very biggest kicks I get out of this place is this subject. And honestly, Browns, Tribe, Cavs included, there is nowhere near the teeth gnashing and excuse making and duplicitous opinions on people and issues as there is in the Buckeye threads.

And it's not even close. Buckeye fans may not be hypocritical like they are in the SEC and they may not be as fervently sanctimonious, but they lead these boards in all of those categories.

Those are traits of college football fanatics/message boards.

(had to edit, you are specifically talking about this place)
Last edited by JCoz on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 am

Indians fans are the funniest though. That board is a laugh a minute.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:33 am

Peeks...in the example I gave...the phone call "violation" vs the payoff...it was intentionally an extreme example. The point is that violations can be, and often are, inadvertent. OSU and other schools self-report violations like these by the dozens every year. And they definitely differ in kind and in scale to the more serious variety. That's all.

Even Bollman's 2002 screw-up, where he tried to help arrange for an ACT test tutor for a kid and offered to take a phone call from a bank to vouch for a family on a car loan, seem to me, while violations, and stupid and ill-advised, still are of a different sort than the Newtonesque kind. And I would make exactly the same distinction if the names of the schools were reversed, so spare me the double-standard accusation.

The other obvious difference in the 2002 Morris case with Bollman was that when the AD found out, the issue was self-reported and penalties were assessed.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:42 am

danwismar wrote:Peeks...in the example I gave...the phone call "violation" vs the payoff...it was intentionally an extreme example. The point is that violations can be, and often are, inadvertent. OSU and other schools self-report violations like these by the dozens every year. And they definitely differ in kind and in scale to the more serious variety. That's all.

Even Bollman's 2002 screw-up, where he tried to help arrange for an ACT test tutor for a kid and offered to take a phone call from a bank to vouch for a family on a car loan, seem to me, while violations, and stupid and ill-advised, still are of a different sort than the Newtonesque kind. And I would make exactly the same distinction if the names of the schools were reversed, so spare me the double-standard accusation.

The other obvious difference in the 2002 Morris case with Bollman was that when the AD found out, the issue was self-reported and penalties were assessed.

I understand that Dan.

I'm saying that money exchanges hands when recruits come to town or are being recruited on behalf of Ohio State. It happens and has happened and will continue to happen. In many, many different forms. Be it broads, cash, overpaymentfor services, food, tats, weed, whatever. So I'll spare you the double standard accusation and you spare me the 'righteous indignation/you can't prove that Russ' lecture.

And once that happens (and it does) then you're no different than any other program that does it, regardless of the decimal point placement.

YMMV

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 am

peeker643 wrote:I guess I could start a thread called 'Convenient OSU Recruiting Myths & SEC Travesties' and add these posts to that.

I can only assume you're talking about me here, Peeker, since my post seems to have elicited the comments...unless I missed some posts by others. Duplicitous opinions(?)....excuse-making...sanctimony....hypocrisy?

Please cite examples of those in this thread by me or others.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 am

Oh Boy! We're HERE again!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:53 am

danwismar wrote:

I can only assume you're talking about me here, Peeker, since my post seems to have elicited the comments...unless I missed some posts by others. Duplicitous opinions(?)....excuse-making...sanctimony....hypocrisy?

Please cite examples of those in this thread by me or others.

Not at all. I'm talking about me as much as anyone of the other big Buckeye fans. See the James Harrison example. We're ALL guilty of it. Especially as it relates to the Buckeyes.

Look back at the Tressel and NCG threads, etc.

Some are simply unwilling or unable to admit it. I freely admit to being a homer and I freely admit to defending Tressel and stating I'd take him over any other coach after his LSU NCG loss. And a big part of that was his 'senator' image and squeaky clean persona.

This is what I mean though. Why so defensive about this? Goood Gawd. When it comes to the Buckeyes most people on these boards are less than objective. Just like they probably are on the SEC boards. Unless we're better at that too? Maybe it's just me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena