Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Christopher Hitchens Dead At 62

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Christopher Hitchens Dead At 62

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:11 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/ ... FI20111216

Great author, great speaker, and a great mind.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Christopher Hitchens Dead At 62

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 am

What are your thoughts on his views of Mother Theresa?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:24 pm

He was contemptuous of Mother Theresa because she glorified poverty...to suffer was to be noble...and he was repulsed by that idea. Here's a paragraph that says it...from this article:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... arest.html

This returns us to the medieval corruption of the church, which sold indulgences to the rich while preaching hellfire and continence to the poor. MT was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction. And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go? The primitive hospice in Calcutta was as run down when she died as it always had been—she preferred California clinics when she got sick herself—and her order always refused to publish any audit. But we have her own claim that she opened 500 convents in more than a hundred countries, all bearing the name of her own order. Excuse me, but this is modesty and humility?

The guy was the definition of a journalist in my eyes...I admired his courage, long before his cancer diagnosis. Wherever there was trouble in the world, he went there to report on it. If you're a fan or not, I recommend reading his memoir "Hitch 22", best book I've read in the last year or two. Another cool little book of his is "Why Orwell Matters", about one of his intellectual idols.

I saved a bunch of the obits and remembrances of him yesterday, to add to my list of Hitchens links here. http://delicious.com/dwismar/hitchens

One of the links is to a list of his famous put-downs, some of which are classics...my favorite...about Jerry Falwell...

"If you gave him an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox"
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

FUDU wrote:What are your thoughts on his views of Mother Theresa?

She was a propaganda tool for the Catholic Church. Donations poured into to help this poor pious nun in her work. But it didn't help anyone but the Vatican, which is disgusting.

Here's the interview on Falwell's death. Just look at the pain in Hannity's face as Hitch unloads on Falwell.

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby aclayman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:31 pm

When one end of the spectrum thinks you were an elitist leftist heathen and the other considered you a traitorous warhawk neo-con, you must have lived a pretty great life. The world's a lesser place without guys like this to challenge everyone and stir up the pot.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby JJN » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 am

Hitch should go down as a fantastic writer one of the most gifted wielders of the English language in history. Few have ever used words so sharp and so well aimed. Like him or not, it was enjoyable watching turn into a storm of wit and whiskey.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:11 am

Dude's trolling for attention with his diatribe. Right or wrong... meh.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture