Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Deadwood - Season Three

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Deadwood - Season Three

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:52 am

Off with a bang. In 56 minutes, 117 uses of the word "fuck" (or some variation of the word ... I swear they use that word like the smurfs used 'smurf') and 15 "cocksucker" bombs.

I love that show.

Looks like an epic battle shaping up between Hearst and the newly aligned Bullock and Swerengen. Such great acting in this show. Swearengen, Doc Cochran, Calamity Jane are all superbly portrayed.

That was a great ass beating Bullock gave Farnum. I've been waiting for that for three seasons.

As always, some classic lines last night. Most of which are eluding me. McShane as Swearengen is one of the greatest television characters EVER.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:00 am

This sucks. Though a couple of movies would be cool ...

http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-06-26

McShane Fuming Over 'Deadwood' Cancellation

British actor Ian McShane is furious over the way US cable network HBO cancelled his acclaimed western series Deadwood. The network pulled the plug on Deadwood last month, just weeks before the show's third season began. And McShane, who won a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Al Swearengen in the drama, is unhappy with the decision. He tells the New York Daily News, "I thought the whole thing was handled shabbily. But what the f**k, HBO and Deadwood have been very good to me. However, I think what's been lost in everybody slapping each other on the back, with a possible two two-hour movies to wrap up the series after this season, is that Deadwood is one of the most acclaimed series on TV. A truly great show. So I was initially shocked. And now I'm sad. You'll never know what the f**k really happened. And we'll see if the two-hour movies come to fruition or not. Part of me prefers it to six one-hour shows, because in a two-hour movie you can play with space and time and cover more material. Look, I loved playing this part. I love the way HBO handled everything up to this point. I think we needed four or five seasons to finish telling the story. I just thought it was odd to cancel the series before season three was even on the air. Whether this was some devious publicity ploy to get more people to watch or not, who knows. But the f**king story of Deadwood wasn't finished, man. So I'm sad about it being cancelled like this."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:23 pm

I'm really geared up about seeing what happens over the next few episodes.

Hurst keeps getting nastier and weirder each episode...but they can't kill him off...like Bullock, he was a historical figure, and I don't know whether or not he's already fathered William Randolph Hurst at this point.

My guess is that he loses a power struggle to Al, Bullock, and Alma, and ends up losing interest in the day to day stuff and heads off to another mining site somewhere else in the world.

Brian Cox is a great actor, and his character obviously has a few dirty tricks up his sleeve to help Al.

Thank god Wu is back. SWEGIN!

Great line about the bacon having "a human aftertaste".

I do wish they'd do a couple of more seasons, but hopefully the movies ties up the loose ends sufficiently.

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:51 pm

Wow. That does suck. One of my all-time favorite shows.....I hate when they cancel these shows and you are left hanging. Hopefully the movies come to fruition.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 pm

That was one sick beatdown the other night with Dougherty tearing the Captain's eye ball out. Great stuff. Damn shame this show is done after this season....
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:40 pm

That was the nastiest beatdown I've ever seen, eclipsing even that kitchen battle between Tony and Ralphie that ended up with Ralphies bald head in a bowling ball bag.

I think the Captain's demise will hasten Hearst's retreat to California...but not before he makes another play due to Alma's dope addiction.

Bullock was such a near boy scout in the first season...it's great to see him as flawed as he's been in season 2 and so far in season 3. Sucka is wound waayyy too tight.

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:55 pm

Anyone still watching? Is it me, or has this season plodded along? Two episodes left....
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:11 am

I was initially underwhelmed with the ending...but the more I think of it, the more it made sense.

Everyone knew (or should have known) that both Hearst and Bullock were real characters (as was Swearengen) who did not die in Deadwood, so the big shoot-em-out couldn't really happen.

As happens with life, sometimes you lose, but you try to live to fight another day, and that's what happened here...a lot of compromises and capitulations came about just to get Hearst out of town and out of their hair.

Al killing Jen was a horrible act that was absolutely necessary in his eyes (and most others in Deadwood). His soliloquey to the Indian Head about not being able to accept Trixie dying was another case of extraoridinary writing.

I was hoping Cy Tolliver would go ahead and blow his own brains out...his behavior was too weird and inconsistent this year...although killing Leon was doing the world a favor.

I'm still pissed at Milch for completely wasting a total of an hour or so this season regarding the theatre troupe. They never added a thing to the show, and the time should have been spent on other characters more worthy of screen time.

Looking forward to the 2 two hour movies...but they won't start filming until the spring.

My one guess that should be certain is that Harry will almost immediately step down as sheriff since he just got his fire fighting equipment, and Bullock picks the badge back up.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:08 am

Deadwood, officially cancelled after three great season. Front page of the PD Arts & Life section this morning.

What a bummer.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 11, 2007 9:53 pm

http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Inter ... x?posting={79940130-DF1A-445D-8C80-E067FFD94D02}

Powers Boothe Talks 24, Ponders Deadwood's Fate
by Joseph Hudak

Few actors are as adept at conveying downright intimidation as Powers Boothe, currently fearsome as acting president Noah Daniels as he steamrolls through the U.S.' latest bad day on Fox's 24 (Mondays at 9 pm/ET). TV Guide caught up with the Texas-born, gravel-voiced actor — who won an Emmy in 1980 for his TV portrayal of People's Temple leader Jim Jones — to discuss his 24 alter ego's intentions, as well as to bet on the fate of HBO's Deadwood and riverboat gambler Cy Tolliver.

TV Guide: Do you see 24's Daniels as essentially good but misguided?
Powers Boothe: I don't think he's misguided at all. You had a nuke go off in [California], and people are sitting around wringing their hands. He feels like he has to do something. Rather than having an agenda, I think he feels a tremendous burden to save the country, no matter what it takes.

TV Guide: Is your performance inspired by any real-life politician?
Boothe: I think I'm pretty politically informed and I find myself watching Senate hearings on C-SPAN. But I don't know if there's any particular individual. I was raised a Democrat and now I'm an Independent. I wasn't interested in playing a zealot. The sanctity of the office is what's more important to me.

TV Guide: Do you think 24 makes a political statement in any way?
Boothe: If they do anything, it's to present the problem and put up various solutions without getting on a stump about any of them, and I think that approach is brilliant. As I understand it, we have as many liberal fans as conservative fans.

TV Guide: You play powerful, intimidating men like Daniels really well. Why are you so adept at conveying intimidation?
Boothe: [Laughs] Oh, I don't know. I think it's just something I was born with.

TV Guide: But with a name like Powers, I guess you can't play many wimps. What are its origins?
Boothe: A friend of my father's was killed in World War II and that was his first name. When I was starting out, I'm sure a lot of people thought I was a pretentious little s--t. [Laughs]

TV Guide: Do you gravitate to intimidating roles?
Boothe: No, no. One role leads to another. For the first 10 years [that] I was a professional actor, all I did was Shakespeare. And the show I did in New York that brought me out [to L.A.] was a flat-out comedy. And they never let me do comedy. [Laughs]

TV Guide: How do you view your time spent on Deadwood?
Boothe: I think I've been incredibly fortunate to be associated with a writer and a creator of the caliber of [series creator] David Milch. What David did with Deadwood was not only groundbreaking, but he also created a kind of new genre. For me, it was almost like doing Shakespeare.

TV Guide: I imagine your Shakespeare background made Milch's dialogue a little easier to handle.
Boothe: Well, it certainly helped. It was like doing Shakespeare in that if you had one word out of place, the dialogue just flat didn't work.

TV Guide: What do you think of Deadwood going out the way it is?
Boothe: I, like everyone, was stunned, because when we left the third season, it wasn't a matter of, "Are we going to do a fourth?" They were negotiating a fifth. And then I got the call from [Milch] that it was all over. I was like, "Are you kidding me?"

TV Guide: Why is Cy Tolliver so clearly tormented?
Boothe: David explained it to me like this: [Cy] was raised in a whorehouse. So you can imagine watching your mother turn tricks and what it does to your thoughts on women. He's a con man, a gambler and a pimp. He's a businessman. And the one thing he can't do is have emotions. But he has feelings for Joanie Stubbs. And he tries to justify them and why she doesn't come back to him. It feeds on his psychosis about his youth and women in general. He has god issues, too. He faced his death and came through it. I think of all the characters — and David told me this — Cy is the only character whose hole card hasn't been revealed yet. I keep waiting for it to happen.

TV Guide: What's the state of the supposed finales?
Boothe: We're planning on doing two two-hour movies this summer. They're talking about [starting production in] June, but I'll tell you, honestly, as much as I hope it happens, I'll believe it when I see it. When a cast splits up, it's hard to bring them back together.
TV Guide: Do you mean that the fate of the movies is in jeopardy?
Boothe: If we don't do it in June, I don't think it'll ever be done, because, look, various people have pilots for other series. I have other commitments, and I know Ian [McShane] has other commitments. That [June] time slot is kind of it. But I think if any show ever deserved at least that much, it's Deadwood.
consigliere

Re: Deadwood - Season Three

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:44 am

Just got done watching Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD, looking forward to Season 3--and for that reason haven't read any spoilers here.

Joins my list of all-time great cable series, alongside "Homeland," "Justified," "Mad Men" and "Battlestar Galactica." Fully realized characters. Full-bodied dialog if you can get past the cartoonish profanity. Some type of conflict in virtually every scene. Picture-perfect acting by all the principles.

The setting of Deadwood itself--where an IQ of 100 is genius and most of the fucking cocksucking Hooples are in the 70-80 range--lends itself not only to extremes of bad and good, but also to all shades of gray in between.

Two thumbs way up!
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture