Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Where is the Walrus?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Where is the Walrus?

Unread postby Spin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Hikohadon wrote:OK, let's look at it this way:

Let's say the medical staff was fully aware that Harrison just plowed Colt in the head. What motivation did they have to not perform a proper concussion test?

And if they performed said test and found that he was OK, why would they cover up the fact that they gave the test?

And if they performed said test and found he was concussed, what motivation did they have to proclaim him fit to return (thus risking their very jobs)?

Was the game THAT important? Was Colt McCoy so integral to the team that they couldn't possibly win without him on the field?

There has to be a motive for these actions which the Browns are supposedly covering up. There has to be a believable alternative explanation in order for me to call them liars.

Try this. What if there was a LACK OF COMMUNICATION between the medical staff and the coaching staff?

That's not a reach. We're talking about a coach who handed the ball off to a 3rd string TE, lined up as a FB, on a crucial play and admitting in the pressor "Wuh I dunno how he got there."

The same Gomer who Walrus said in the last presser was in over his head, and was getting an OC next year.

We don't know if he knows the definition of concussion. Could he be part of the old guard who shoved players back on the field to play unless they had body parts missing? This focus on concussions is new, fairly recent.

He asked Colt if he was ready to play and Colt said YES. Maybe Colt doesn't understand the implications. Maybe he thought he was is the youth leagues again. "How's your hand?" "Fine, I'm ready to play." The staff might have benched him, and he wondered around looking for pearls in the pretty water until Gomer found him.

Who the hell knows. Somebody dropped the ball.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
swerb wrote:Grossi's live blog of the presser. What. A. Mess.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... e_hol.html

Oh, I don't know. That press conference was 1000x more entertaining than Pat Shurmur mumbling. I wish we had video, Holmgren is a big guy, those reporters were probably taking steps backwards while still asking their questions with quaking voices.

If you have an iPad, you can download the Browns app which includes video of all pressers. They are quite entertaining actually. I think Shurmur might just tape one and they replay it each week.

Here is link http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cleveland-browns/id452037529?mt=8
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Spin wrote:"How's your hand?" "Fine, I'm ready to play."

Maybe Shurmur asked "How's your head?" and Colt thought he said, "How's your hand?"
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:50 pm

leadpipe wrote:Someone inform Holmgren, that at his position in the NFL, with this team or anyone else, that he hasn't accomplished shit.

Fucking guy sits up there like some sage who's doing us a favor.

Another fucking idiot like the rest of em'

Doomed.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face - and a few years back I never would have said it.....but until the Browns get an invested owner, we're at the mercy of the next group of pirhanas that comes swimming by.

Cause when these assholes are gone, the next group that gets half his attention with some sort of line of bullshit are in.

An owner, that has an idea what's going on in the NFL, that has some respect from many of his peers, is the single most important component if the franchise is going to get turned around. Period.

This
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 am

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 47m
· In non-Colt-McCoy news, Browns Pres. Mike Holmgren called Pat Shurmur "a very competent young head coach who will be here for a long time."

Awesome start to my day. Go life!
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:36 am

JCoz wrote:
· In non-Colt-McCoy news, Browns Pres. Mike Holmgren called Pat Shurmur "a very competent young head coach who will be here for a long time."

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am

JCoz wrote:

Not worthy of a new thread, but I should sit down and write a column called "The Tale of Two Cities" and compare the football fates of Cleveland and Houston.

There is not a single newspaper or radio guy who wasn't calling for Gary Kubiak's head last year. And the year before that. The org was dysfunctional, the owner was an idiot, the GM was an ass who had a bad rep with agents and players, the team had no heart.......

But quiettly, over time, the Texans managed to hit on more draft picks than they missed, got a decent QB via FA, and, managed to keep their O line together as a unit for more than 6 plays.

I really don't root for them, due to the fact I am very shallow and petty and cannot stand to see other teams succeed ahead of the Browns, but they have grown, despite years of bitching and whinning from the fans, into a pretty decent team, albeit in a crap division with a really easy schedule.

I don't like Pat Shurmur or Mike Holmgren - as many might remember I hated the way Shurmur was hired and he has shown absolutely nothing as a HC. But it looks like we're stuck with him for at least another year or two, and who knows - maybe the Browns can succeed in spite of him. The Texans have.....
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:53 am

I hear you, and Heckert has built up enough credit with me that I have realistic expectations of getting better via the draft.

And I think IF he can continue and we pickup just one decent starter via FA, we can look alot better next season. I just wish this was like my typical Browns game routine now, meaning I'm not watching in real time and can fast forward right throught the rest of this shit season to the draft if I wanted.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
JCoz wrote:

Not worthy of a new thread, but I should sit down and write a column called "The Tale of Two Cities" and compare the football fates of Cleveland and Houston.

There is not a single newspaper or radio guy who wasn't calling for Gary Kubiak's head last year. And the year before that. The org was dysfunctional, the owner was an idiot, the GM was an ass who had a bad rep with agents and players, the team had no heart.......

But quiettly, over time, the Texans managed to hit on more draft picks than they missed, got a decent QB via FA, and, managed to keep their O line together as a unit for more than 6 plays.

I really don't root for them, due to the fact I am very shallow and petty and cannot stand to see other teams succeed ahead of the Browns, but they have grown, despite years of bitching and whinning from the fans, into a pretty decent team, albeit in a crap division with a really easy schedule.

I don't like Pat Shurmur or Mike Holmgren - as many might remember I hated the way Shurmur was hired and he has shown absolutely nothing as a HC. But it looks like we're stuck with him for at least another year or two, and who knows - maybe the Browns can succeed in spite of him. The Texans have.....

A great point, since they had been calling for Kubiak to be fired since he was hired. And Kubiak reminds me very much of Shurmur, as in I wouldn't want either as HC (if I were doing the hiring).

They managed to make the team talented enough to overcome Kubiak's shortcomings, not to mention giving him a competent DC that is really the difference this year.

I guess that's the best we can hope for.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Brownsnation09 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Completely agree with you leadpipe. Until a real owner and not some soccer fan takes control of this team, all of this discussion is pointless because the power is with the owner and he doesn't care and neither do I. More than ever I see Browns fans not caring, I don't watch the games anymore because what's the point. I can be more productive doing something else and then look at the box score three hours later and see that they lost. Same story every year, except for the miracle ten win season a few years ago that D.A threw away against the Bengals. Until the owner goes, nothing will change.
Brownsnation09

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Spin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Brownsnation09 wrote:Completely agree with you leadpipe. Until a real owner and not some soccer fan takes control of this team, all of this discussion is pointless because the power is with the owner and he doesn't care and neither do I. More than ever I see Browns fans not caring, I don't watch the games anymore because what's the point. I can be more productive doing something else and then look at the box score three hours later and see that they lost. Same story every year, except for the miracle ten win season a few years ago that D.A threw away against the Bengals. Until the owner goes, nothing will change.

Wait. Are you talking about the Indians, or the Browns?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL