Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Where is the Walrus?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Where is the Walrus?

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:36 am

Excellent column by Peeker.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... the-walrus

I'm usually an eternal optimist on all things relating to Cleveland professional sports, but the McCoy incident was the final straw. The grownups need to step in and restore order immediately.

If I'm not mistaken, the Walrus said some time ago that an offensive coordinator will be hired after the season. And representatives from both the NFL and the Player's Association are in town to investigate the decision to send McCoy back into the game less than four minutes after he was knocked unconscious. I'm sure changes will be made to ensure that protocol is strictly followed from now on. Like for example, not letting players who were unconscious a minute before decide whether they're fit to go back in.

FWIW, the players are still going all out as evidenced by the goal line stand and the fact that they were in a position to take the lead in Pittsburgh late in the game. Shurmur may be over his head but he hasn't lost the players...yet. Nobody is mailing it in, so I credit him for that.

The eternal optimist in me is still hoping that the events of this season will shake the Walrus out of his lethargy to the point where he takes decisive action. Hire an experienced OC for starters - an offensive version of Dick Jauron. Someone who will go along with the commitment to the WCO but shape it to the talent on hand rather than use the square peg/round hole approach. Use the draft picks to add speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball. Use the abundant cap space to do more than sign other teams' backups like Usama Young and Dmitri Patterson. (I'm OK with those players as depth, but if the Browns want to get serious about winning they need follow Ozzie Newsome's approach and sign difference makers like Anquan Boldin.)
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: Where is the Walrus?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:14 am

And to be fair, Holmgren may be a busy mofo every single day and intimately involved in the organization. How would we know, though?

I do know it's really uncomfortable to have the stewardess flying the fucking plane while we wonder where the accomplished and decorated pilot who we hired went.

And anyone that heard Shurmur yesterday can't help but feel a guy incapable of handling this pressure was once again put on the wire without a safety net. You can't do that to people.

Holmgren keeps doing it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:15 am

Prosecutor wrote:FWIW, the players are still going all out as evidenced by the goal line stand and the fact that they were in a position to take the lead in Pittsburgh late in the game. Shurmur may be over his head but he hasn't lost the players...yet. Nobody is mailing it in, so I credit him for that.

Have to at least give him this, as much as I dont like the guy.

Team is playing harder at this time this season than they were last season.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Brownsnation09 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 pm

This article was dead on concerning both Holmgren and the approach to this April's draft. Holmgren needs to step up and do what he has been paid well to do, build a winning franchise. It starts with a coach that has had success in the NFL, not some up and coming coordinator that for this team turns out to always be a disaster. As far as the draft, I could not agree more. The Browns have 2 first round picks and high 2nd and 3rd round picks. This team has so many holes, Luck or RG3 will not fill them all. This team needs WR, TE, OL, LB, etc. and trading away multiple picks to move up a few spots is not the solution. Great article.
Brownsnation09

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Brownsnation - did you mean TE or something else? Surely with Watson, Moore, Smith, and that dude we took last year we are OK at TE, right?

I tend to agree. I want RG3. I want him really really bad. But, while I understand the rational for trading up a few spots to make sure we get him I always cringe a little bit. I'm so leary of trading picks. I think I'd like to roll the dice and hope he falls, which he probably will unless someone trades in front of us to get him. But as of now that's a risk I'm willing to take. I may be copnvinced otherwise, it's a long time until April.

What I want to hear starting right now is that the Browns love Colt. That he's our guy. We are in no way shape or form in the market for a QB in this draft. We like Kalil, or Blackmon, or some stud LB. Nothing to see here. Please move along.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Great read Peeker. You are on a role ... your last three columns have all been epic and dead nuts on the $.

For any that missed this CLASSIC rant - called "Getting Squirelly", check it out - http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... -squirrely

Up there with the classic Hiko Taco Bell before sex column. Also linked below for any that missed that gem:

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... chive/1421

The column is so popular, if you start googling "Hiko Ta" it fills the rest in for you.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Brownsnation09 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:37 pm

no I meant a TE, Watson is getting up there in years, Moore is not a great blocker,and the young TE from USC is a project and we know how those turn out in Cleveland. I meant a balanced TE that can be an everydown TE. However, WR's are needed in a bad way. How can this team roll out the worst WR crew on an annual basis. However Little does have some upside, but that is about it. Agreed with the view that this team stand firm and hold on to all the picks they have this year
Brownsnation09

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:And to be fair, Holmgren may be a busy mofo every single day and intimately involved in the organization. How would we know, though?

Because one of the responsibilities of the HMFIC is to make sure everyone sees you being intimately involved in the organization. Its part of the job.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Prosecutor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:28 pm

I don't want to turn this into a draft thread, but I was on NFL.com today and they had six "experts" listing their Pro Bowl teams. All of them had at least two WR's from the AFC North; A.J. Green, Mike Wallace, and Antonio Brown were the picks. And then there's Jerome Simpson, Anquan Boldin, and Torrey Smith to consider. This is really becoming a passing league and a passing division.

Four quarterbacks are on pace to throw for more than 5,000 yards this season and possibly all of them could surpass Dan Marino's single-season record. That's why I wouldn't mind it if the Browns took a Patrick Peterson clone with their first pick. A.J. Green and Antonio Brown burned them for big gains late the last two games, both of which clinched the win for their teams. Peterson has returned four kicks for TDs this year. Rather than trade up for a QB, I agree we should take the biggest impact player that falls to us, but it has to be somebody with mad speed.

I know we're 31st in run defense, but teams aren't scoring a lot of points running the ball. You can run the ball down the field, but it's tough to punch it in from the red zone, even inside the 5-yard line. The Browns run defense has been excellent inside the 10. Besides, there are no outside linebackers listed in the top 25 players on NFLDraftScout's board.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:33 pm

I liked it.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Great article. Agree with the quarterback thing. If they end up trading up- I will break something. BPA all the way and F(ire)-Shurmur.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby mistero » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm very pessimistic about this FO. Heckert in his last press conference was asked about an OC in 2012. He said it would be something they would "visit" but it's not necessarily going to happen. He said not hiring an OC wasn't a mistake. The last 3 rookie HC with out OC's all went to the play offs...blah...blah...blah.

Never anything but bad choices and spin.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Walrus read Peeker's column. Speaking in half an hour.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ik_11.html
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mavre » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Listening on 850

answering tough questions.....Being very defiant though blieves in what he's doing. He is kinda pissy towards the media though
Up yours JoBu
Mavre

Favorite Player: Colt Mccoy
Least Favorite Player: Offensive Line

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:37 pm

From the presser:

Reporter: Will Pat Shurmur be back next year?

Holmgren: Oh, certainly.

Reporter: Can you elaborate on that?

Holmgren: Yeah, I can elaborate on that. He'll be back next year.

:gah:
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Mavre » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:38 pm

When Tony Grossi asks a question he sounds like hes begging for a clearcut opinion from holgren
Up yours JoBu
Mavre

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:38 pm

By the way, Holmgren clearly wants to kill several members of the press. Almost accused a few of them of hoping they would fail. Major impression that he so doesn't like having to deal with this aspect (which would explain his seclusion). My guess is that in the same boat next year, he bails.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Mavre » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:41 pm

reporter-"I can just hear the frustration in your voice about the dropped passes"

Holmgren-"its horrible"

I cant believe he isnt coaching
Up yours JoBu
Mavre

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Holmgren: Yeah, I can elaborate on that. He'll be back next year.

Did anyone seriously expect otherwise?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Paraphrasing:

Holmgren: You keep saying 'Same old Browns'. Don't do that!

Reporter: But the mistakes and the records and the off field stuff...

Holmgren: You say that it's the same as before, but it isn't! And if you don't believe me... don't ask me for extra playoff tickets.

General silence.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Holmgren: Yeah, I can elaborate on that. He'll be back next year.

Did anyone seriously expect otherwise?

Not really. Still hurts to hear it, though.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Holmgren : today :: Hitler : dropping his glasses and telling everyone but his generals to leave the room
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:07 pm

playing the "You're either with us or against us" quote at the media?

fucking really?

a.) first off, it's not the media's job to be your own pr service. They have every damn right to call a spade a spade. The team sucks mike, the coach sucks, and the QB is mediocre. Don't tap dance around it. Either fix it so those are not an issue, or continue to hear from the media and how they're ripping you apart.

b.) If I'm a fan, why the fuck should I give you the benefit of the doubt on this one? again, this team has made the Mangini coached teams looked competent and almost like Super Bowl contender. The play calling is atrocious, the coach doesn't know what he's doing, and were stuck yet again in top ten draft position.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Grossi's live blog of the presser. What. A. Mess.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... e_hol.html

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 pm

swerb wrote:Grossi's live blog of the presser. What. A. Mess.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... e_hol.html

Oh, I don't know. That press conference was 1000x more entertaining than Pat Shurmur mumbling. I wish we had video, Holmgren is a big guy, those reporters were probably taking steps backwards while still asking their questions with quaking voices.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Cease » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:31 pm

"Didn't see the play" is complete horsepucky, IMO. Lame, lame, lame, and I'm calling BS.

DIDN'T SEE THE PLAY?
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Cease wrote:"Didn't see the play" is complete horsepucky, IMO. Lame, lame, lame, and I'm calling BS.

DIDN'T SEE THE PLAY?

That's easily the most believable part, in my opinion.

If you're busy working on a guy on the bench and there's a wall of 6'7 300 lb guys between you and the field, I doubt you see the play either.

The problem part is that no one came over and said "You might wanna check his head - that's what got hit."
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Cease wrote:"Didn't see the play" is complete horsepucky, IMO. Lame, lame, lame, and I'm calling BS.

DIDN'T SEE THE PLAY?

If you're busy working on a guy on the bench and there's a wall of 6'7 300 lb guys between you and the field, I doubt you see the play either.

The problem part is that no one came over and said "You might wanna check his head - that's what got hit."

Exactly. They have guys in the booth watching whether a blade of grass is contacted by a cleat at the 2-yd line or the 3-yd line and yet no one saw McCoy get hit in the face with a train.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Also, I don't how many guys the training staff was treating at the time and they could have been short handed.

But they don't watch the football. Read the 'Game Day' version of ESPN the Mag on the Titans/Steelers game when Andre Johnson goes gimpy. They know he's hurt before he hits the ground and they are schooled to watch behind the ball, behind the play and at knee/hip level on every play.

Why? So they can recognize injuries asap as well as the potential mechanism of injury whether it be twisting, cleat stuck, collision, fall, etc.

The staff fucked this up. That's it. I said it Monday; they treated the hand and missed the bigger issue somehow, some way. And it's a huge deal because there is a relationship betoween players and trainers that's vital in terms of honesty and confidence.

When I was there Leo Murphy was about dead and Bill Tessendorf was the head trainer.

Mark Smith was his assistant trainer and he was a cock. The players would get treatment from Smith but wouldn't talk to him. They'd go first to Murphy and next to Tessendorf (who I don't think they completely trusted yet compared to Murphy).

Smith would wrap younger guys ankles and tend to them but no one voluntarily went to his table because they didn't trust him. It still happens out there.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

DIDN'T SEE THE PLAY?

Exactly. They have guys in the booth watching whether a blade of grass is contacted by a cleat at the 2-yd line or the 3-yd line and yet no one saw McCoy get hit in the face with a train.

I guess it is somewhat believable that no one came over and told the doctors to look at Colt's head since they assumed that's what they were already doing.

I mean, if Holmgren were going to concoct a lie, you'd think it would be better than what's probably the truth.

It is possible that this was both a major failure and completely within protocol. What we got here is failure to communicate...
Hikohadon

Unread postby The Score » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Didn't see the play?

Did they hear the ref announce the penalty? He pretty much spelled it out.
The Score

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:26 pm

The Score wrote:Didn't see the play?

Did they hear the ref announce the penalty? He pretty much spelled it out.

I would assume that they were probably paying attention to what the guy they were working on was saying rather than the announcements in the background which happen 17,000 times a game.

The one thing that I think is clear is that it is not the medical staff's responsibility to follow what is happening on the field as far as it pertains to the game itself.

Maybe the answer is that they have one of those handheld replay devices and are required to watch the video of the injury of every player they have to take off the field.
Hikohadon

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Triple-S wrote:playing the "You're either with us or against us" quote at the media?

fucking really?

a.) first off, it's not the media's job to be your own pr service. They have every damn right to call a spade a spade. The team sucks mike, the coach sucks, and the QB is mediocre. Don't tap dance around it. Either fix it so those are not an issue, or continue to hear from the media and how they're ripping you apart.

b.) If I'm a fan, why the fuck should I give you the benefit of the doubt on this one? again, this team has made the Mangini coached teams looked competent and almost like Super Bowl contender. The play calling is atrocious, the coach doesn't know what he's doing, and were stuck yet again in top ten draft position.

#c.): VARIOUS OTHER LOUD NOISES!!!!!

If you're so embittered by the years of losing that you can't give a new regime more than a year to turn things around, maybe it's time you stopped watching.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Some things to note:

1.) It shouldn't have taken you this long to be in contact with the press, Mike. Want to re-assure us about the plan and that you're not just blowing this off for a huge cash rake in? Give us a few pressers and show physically being in Berea. We have an owner that'd rather spend time chilling in Birmingham, England. That's fine, so long as we have you acting as pretty much the acting owner of this team. That's what you are.

2.) Man up, and admit Shurmer was a mistake, and let him go. No one's going to hold it against you that you were wrong, nor will anyone care. Just take care of business and get some competency at that position. Keep Jauron there as DC, and we can start over on the offensive side with a real LEADER as a head coach.

3.) Would the press honestly being slanting articles negatively about this franchise, if we were not losing every fucking week? That is, again, not on the press. That's on you, That's on Heckert and That's on Shurmer. And I'll tell you what, you three have not seem to have been any sort of upgrade at the moment.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:40 pm

What about McCoy laying on the ground?
"That came up in the meeting yesterday. It seems inconceivable but nobody alerted anyone. So how do we do this so the doctors get the information they need. Best thing we could come up with is putting in a process to have somebody say something."

It seems that way because it IS fucking inconceivable, Mike. It's inconceiveable that EVERY SINGLE coach and EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLAYER on the field wouldn't have said squad after seeing Harrison MURDER Colt. Hell, 90% of us watching that game knew from the MOMENT the hit happened that it was probably a concussion. But NOT ONE of you @#*%s wanted to even check with him briefly, look him in the eye, and talk to him before restarting play? You already had an injury time out and Seneca in the game.

Don't get angry with the media, and SURELY don't get mad at the fans. We're not idiots, and we want you to say HOLY HELL that was STUPID. Not this.

I hate this team and the iterations of the dysfunction they reinvent/recreate every year. Hate myself for not turning it off.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:50 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Triple-S wrote:playing the "You're either with us or against us" quote at the media?

fucking really?

#c.): VARIOUS OTHER LOUD NOISES!!!!!

If you're so embittered by the years of losing that you can't give a new regime more than a year to turn things around, maybe it's time you stopped watching.

This ^^^^^^

In spite of my displeasure with what I've seen

Fritz ain't getting canned and neither is Colt unless RG falls into our lap

Forget Barkley.... Vikes will pick 2nd and Skins will trade up...

So it has been written. So shall it be

The most telling thing he said was too many drops and coulda been 7-6
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:04 pm

2 Drafts
2 Free Agency Periods

1 Year.

No more wins.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:10 pm

HoodooMan wrote:If you're so embittered by the years of losing that you can't give a new regime more than a year to turn things around, maybe it's time you stopped watching.

I think I'll make this my sig line.

This regime - Holmgren, Heckert, and Shurmur - is a certainty for 2012.

If you want to bitch and rail about that every chance you get, that's your prerogative. Doesn't make it not a waste of time.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:14 pm

pup wrote:2 Drafts
2 Free Agency Periods

1 Year.

No more wins.

Mike Holmgren couldn't hear you over the thumps of his bus backing over Eric Mangini again.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:
What about McCoy laying on the ground?
"That came up in the meeting yesterday. It seems inconceivable but nobody alerted anyone. So how do we do this so the doctors get the information they need. Best thing we could come up with is putting in a process to have somebody say something."

It seems that way because it IS fucking inconceivable, Mike. It's inconceiveable that EVERY SINGLE coach and EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLAYER on the field wouldn't have said squad after seeing Harrison MURDER Colt. Hell, 90% of us watching that game knew from the MOMENT the hit happened that it was probably a concussion. But NOT ONE of you @#*%s wanted to even check with him briefly, look him in the eye, and talk to him before restarting play? You already had an injury time out and Seneca in the game.

Don't get angry with the media, and SURELY don't get mad at the fans. We're not idiots, and we want you to say HOLY HELL that was STUPID. Not this.

I hate this team and the iterations of the dysfunction they reinvent/recreate every year. Hate myself for not turning it off.

Here's a concept that I just want to throw out there.

What if no players went up to the medical staff and told them to check out Colt's head b/c that is what they figured they were doing?

What if no coaches went up to the medical staff and told them to check out Colt's head b/c that is what they figured they were doing?

What if no one called down from the booth and told them to check out Colt's head b/c that is what they figured they were doing?

Do you think players, coaches, and booth review guys check in with the medical staff after every injury to make sure they're checking the right stuff? No, they don't.

Here is the only place where the intervention maybe should've occurred - Medical staff tells Colt his hand is OK, Colt grabs helmet and runs over to Shurmur. THEN is when maybe someone should've said "Whoa whoa whoa, what's Colt doing going back in the game?"

Even that one is debateable, since it happened pretty quickly, not everyone was watching Colt go from the Trainers to the Coach, and those that did probably assumed that the medical staff checked Colt for a concussion and he was OK/fooled them.

This is an NFL procedural issue, and it probably has happened with other teams already. We just didn't know about it because those players' daddies didn't run to the press.

Like I've said before, far be it for me to prevent an effigy bonfire. But I think you're tossing aside critical thinking for righteous anger, which is the Fan Credo.
Hikohadon

Unread postby The Score » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

Sorry, I just find the notion that the medical staff is an over-burdened unit with crazy tunnel vision that runs from injury to injury and no concept of what is happening immediately in the game, let alone happening after a play where a personal foul, tv timeout, ref announcement, and a player lying dead on the field are all involved is a gigantic leap of faith to take.
The Score

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Put me in the camp that you just cannot get rid of this regime at this point (1yr). However there are plenty of things that have gone on this season that deserve questioning, from on the field play/coaching to procedural stuff...again the Browns have a season in which unprecedented things happen to continue this losing and utter display of incompetence.

Having said that if Holmgren ends up displacing Shurmur (whether this off season or say next) and takes over on the sidelines then one HAS to question what the hell has been going on the past 2 seasons, and also really question Holmgren's integrity (given the admitted lack of interest in staying for the long haul etc). It would be yet another example of incompetence of the owner himself to be duped once again and buying into yet another sales pitch from somebody (MH) really only looking out for himself.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 pm

The Score wrote:Sorry, I just find the notion that the medical staff is an over-burdened unit with crazy tunnel vision that runs from injury to injury and no concept of what is happening immediately in the game, let alone happening after a play where a personal foul, tv timeout, ref announcement, and a player lying dead on the field are all involved is a gigantic leap of faith to take.

I know! You'd think that they'd just be standing around watching the game!

The concept that they'd actually be doing their job from a position where they can't see the field and are too busy to pay attention anyway is ludicrous. I know that when I'm at work I'm also listening carefully across the office to make sure the receptionist is routing the calls properly.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 pm

The Score wrote:Sorry, I just find the notion that the medical staff is an over-burdened unit with crazy tunnel vision that runs from injury to injury and no concept of what is happening immediately in the game, let alone happening after a play where a personal foul, tv timeout, ref announcement, and a player lying dead on the field are all involved is a gigantic leap of faith to take.

Then I have to say you're a bit naive or being unrealistic.

IMO it is most likely no different than a hospital setting. Lots of people around, all with different jobs and different things to focus on. So while 35 different staff members might walk by your door as you lay in the $750/day hospital bed despite them all knowing you're there most of them probably have no clue as to why and/or what your most recent updated status is. Until they hear or see calls for help/questions they probably not only will not bother with you but probably don't care to either.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:53 pm

FUDU wrote:Put me in the camp that you just cannot get rid of this regime at this point (1yr). However there are plenty of things that have gone on this season that deserve questioning, from on the field play/coaching to procedural stuff...again the Browns have a season in which unprecedented things happen to continue this losing and utter display of incompetence.

Having said that if Holmgren ends up displacing Shurmur (whether this off season or say next) and takes over on the sidelines then one HAS to question what the hell has been going on the past 2 seasons, and also really question Holmgren's integrity (given the admitted lack of interest in staying for the long haul etc). It would be yet another example of incompetence of the owner himself to be duped once again and buying into yet another sales pitch from somebody (MH) really only looking out for himself.

I'd question what he's doing right now. I'd love to see what a day in the life of the Walrus is like.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
FUDU wrote:Put me in the camp that you just cannot get rid of this regime at this point (1yr). However there are plenty of things that have gone on this season that deserve questioning, from on the field play/coaching to procedural stuff...again the Browns have a season in which unprecedented things happen to continue this losing and utter display of incompetence.

I'd question what he's doing right now. I'd love to see what a day in the life of the Walrus is like.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby The Score » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Just sayin', I have some experience with gameday medical staffs and I'm not buying that they had no idea James Harrison took off McCoy's head on the play. It's not like it was a play away from the action, or under a pile, or even a routine tackle where a guy doesn't get up for some unknown reason.

Maybe it is naive. I don't think so, but whatever.
The Score

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:53 pm

The Score wrote:Just sayin', I have some experience with gameday medical staffs and I'm not buying that they had no idea James Harrison took off McCoy's head on the play. It's not like it was a play away from the action, or under a pile, or even a routine tackle where a guy doesn't get up for some unknown reason.

Maybe it is naive. I don't think so, but whatever.

OK, let's look at it this way:

Let's say the medical staff was fully aware that Harrison just plowed Colt in the head. What motivation did they have to not perform a proper concussion test?

And if they performed said test and found that he was OK, why would they cover up the fact that they gave the test?

And if they performed said test and found he was concussed, what motivation did they have to proclaim him fit to return (thus risking their very jobs)?

Was the game THAT important? Was Colt McCoy so integral to the team that they couldn't possibly win without him on the field?

There has to be a motive for these actions which the Browns are supposedly covering up. There has to be a believable alternative explanation in order for me to call them liars.
Hikohadon

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:06 pm

Someone inform Holmgren, that at his position in the NFL, with this team or anyone else, that he hasn't accomplished shit.

Fucking guy sits up there like some sage who's doing us a favor.

Another fucking idiot like the rest of em'

Doomed.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face - and a few years back I never would have said it.....but until the Browns get an invested owner, we're at the mercy of the next group of pirhanas that comes swimming by.

Cause when these assholes are gone, the next group that gets half his attention with some sort of line of bullshit are in.

An owner, that has an idea what's going on in the NFL, that has some respect from many of his peers, is the single most important component if the franchise is going to get turned around. Period.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Spin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:19 pm

No no. If you don't see what's going on, you can hear the players on the sideline. Most times they'll tell you you better get out there. And most people I know with no medical training would know a player flat on his back has the potential for more than a hand injury. And am I the only one who heard the press conference?

If they dropped the ball that bad, they need their license pulled. I've seen licenses pulled for much less than that.

I'm thinking more and more it was a communication gap between the staff, and/or Colt's concussed brain, and Gomer.
Last edited by Spin on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL