Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

CP3 Trade canceled by the league this morning

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: CP3 Trade canceled by the league this morning

Unread postby pup » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 am

JJN wrote:
pup wrote:The big problem with this deal and this path is what it leads to.

Like when this good deal for NO turns into Odom pouting and demanding to be traded to a large market, er,contender. And you have to take 60 cents on the dollar to move him. And Scola says, well if he is leaving I want out. Then Kevin Martin blows up by taking 35 shots a game and he demands to be traded. Where does it end?

So you start out getting Odom, Scola, Martin and a #1. Which turns out to be Kris Humphries, Ryan Hollins and Ramon Seesions, Jason Kidd's corpse and the 20th overall pick. For Chris Paul.

Who is to say this deal is the best deal they could have received. As good as it may be, what if some small market was going to offer something better. Shit, what if NO liked the Celtics offer more? They cannot do it because Paul won't sign an extension. Which is the bullshit of what is going down right now.

You cannot let the player limit your opportunity to make the best deal possible. And they are.

The bullshit is that he has the right to not sign an extension in a place he doesn't want to play, when he has the right to opt out of his contract? The fuck?

Odom, Scola, and Martin should all be worth at least a late 1st rounder. If they flip them all, they would have 5 1sts rounders in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory, including their own which would be pretty high if they flipped all those pieces for picks. As the deal stands, they should be able to secure a playoff spot.

So what is NOLA liked the Celtics offer better? The Celtics retracted it.

The Celtics have no choice but to retract it. Because Bitch Paul won't sign an extension.

NO got a good deal in the Laker trade. No doubt. But you will never know if it was the best one available because only 3 teams are allowed to make an offer.

I agree, if you are a fan of the NBA, the superteam concept is great. If you are a fan of a team that is not in a large market and/or fantastic weather location, it blows. Big time.

Don't think I am not pissed the bitch owners backed off what they really wanted to be able to put some money in their pockets this season.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:17 am

pup wrote: Don't think I am not pissed the bitch owners backed off what they really wanted to be able to put some money in their pockets this season.

This, this a thousand times this. You just locked out the players for 149 days, the ink is not yet dry on the CBA, and then you bitch and moan about the very first proposed trade, one that made a lot of sense under the new rules to which you just agreed.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:37 pm

So now the Bugs look like they might actually land Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, Aminu Somethingorother, and a couple good picks instead of the pile of Laker/Rocket leftovers. And the Lakers had to sell Odom on the cheap after hurting his fee-fees. And Mark Cuban would look like an evil genius, if the 2012 FA class didn't just dry up. Oh, and Dwight Howard is lying through his teeth trying to grease his way to New Jersey, who totally didn't tamper with him at all.

Far more drama here than in the actual regular season. Then again, you can say the same for Waiting For Godot.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:21 pm

JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:11 am

This whole thing involving CP3 is an unmitigating dumpster fire. I am so tired of Chris Broussard I can't stand it. The guy is as accurate as the evening news weatherman. In the voice "my sources telllll me dat Chris Paul is going to LA and that the deaaaaaaal is going to be approved". He's awful.

I did see that the Clips did make a claim on Chauncey Billups. The NBA is fannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnntastic. :pop:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:39 pm

The emergence of Broussard post-The Decision is yet another in the long line of disasters that has result from that vile broadcast.

Guy sucks. I don't care if he's a Cleveland guy or what, he blows. One of the worst journalists in the NBA game. His % on stories is hovering aroun 15% and that's probably cause he has Woj, Amick and other on his twitter feed.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:47 pm

noles1 wrote:The emergence of Broussard post-The Decision is yet another in the long line of disasters that has result from that vile broadcast.

Guy sucks. I don't care if he's a Cleveland guy or what, he blows. One of the worst journalists in the NBA game. His % on stories is hovering aroun 15% and that's probably cause he has Woj, Amick and other on his twitter feed.

This.

The Decision was bad enough. Now this asshole Broussard being all over the place ever since is like the constant reminder and salt in the wound.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 pm

Twitter rumbling that the trade is done. CP3 for Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, and Minnessota's pick. That's a pretty good haul for Hornets. They now have a chance to build around Gordon and two 2012 draft picks (both likely high picks).

Meanwhile, the Clippers now have 4 PG's on their roster: Paul, Mo Williams, Billups, and Bledsoe. Bledsoe's probably the easiest to move, but they might want to hold on to him. Billups at the 2? Mo traded/to the bench? Interesting.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby JJN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 pm

The Clippers just got robbed. I really don't see how this makes them a better team, and I really don't like Stern's fingers all over this. Wish that he would just retire already.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:26 am

JJN wrote:The Clippers just got robbed. I really don't see how this makes them a better team, and I really don't like Stern's fingers all over this. Wish that he would just retire already.

What part of Chris Paul to Blake Griffin are you missing here. And Stern just got actual real rebuilding value for the Hornets. This was an incredible deal for both teams, and waaaaaaaaaaay better than the pile of warmed-over crap Kupchak was shoving at Demps.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 pm

swerb wrote:
noles1 wrote:The emergence of Broussard post-The Decision is yet another in the long line of disasters that has result from that vile broadcast.

This.

The Decision was bad enough. Now this asshole Broussard being all over the place ever since is like the constant reminder and salt in the wound.

You guys don't enjoy hearing the latest rumors on where "DA-WIGHT" Howard might end up?
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby JJN » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:What part of Chris Paul to Blake Griffin are you missing here. And Stern just got actual real rebuilding value for the Hornets. This was an incredible deal for both teams, and waaaaaaaaaaay better than the pile of warmed-over crap Kupchak was shoving at Demps.

I love the idea of CP3 throwing lobs to Blake and DeAndre, but there is more to it than just that.

Does Paul stay past the two years he will be on contract? Will his knee hold up? The Clips now have more PGs than the T'Wolves! Can Billups play the 2 guard night in and out? If not, you are starting Randy Foye there, which isn't going to help you win now, which is what you are trying to do by trading for Paul.

You traded a center who two years ago averaged 18.5/9.2, a shooting guard who should be top-5 at his position next year, a SF who was drafted 8th in '010, and Minny's unprotected 1st in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. If the Clips would have been able to keep either Gordon or the Minny pick and give Bledsoe in its stead, it would have been a better trade.

Here's the thing: this trade was way better than the LAL trade, but it didn't need to be. The price for Paul should have been what the market would bare, and the Clips were the market after the Lakers pulled out. They were trying to outbid themselves because of Stern's grubby little fingers being where he had said they wouldn't be.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:24 am

Here's to the Hornets and T-Wolves both sucking ass this year and Nola being able to borrow Gilbert's kid for the draft lotto.

Aminu will likely never be a starter, but having Gordon and Ariza is a decent start. Hopefully we can get something for Okafor or Kaman and rebuild via the draft. Alot better than losing CP3 in FA (which I thought was likely).
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:31 pm

JJN wrote:I love the idea of CP3 throwing lobs to Blake and DeAndre, but there is more to it than just that.

I forsee a Pros thread.

Does Paul stay past the two years he will be on contract? Will his knee hold up?

That's the risk you take for trading for the best point guard in the game today.

The Clips now have more PGs than the T'Wolves! Can Billups play the 2 guard night in and out? If not, you are starting Randy Foye there, which isn't going to help you win now, which is what you are trying to do by trading for Paul.

Uh, Chris Paul helps you win now. Randy Foye is Jason Terry or Mario Chalmers. And I don't see how two of their cavalcade of non-CP3 point guards remain on the roster beyond the trade deadline.

You traded a center who two years ago averaged 18.5/9.2

Yep, its a Pros thread.

a shooting guard who should be top-5 at his position next year, a SF who was drafted 8th in '010, and Minny's unprotected 1st in one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. If the Clips would have been able to keep either Gordon or the Minny pick and give Bledsoe in its stead, it would have been a better trade.

Simmons was also saying the Clips bought high, but that's how the game is played. If the Clips hold off on a better offer, that leaves other teams with an opening to swoop in with a better offer. Mitch Kupchak sure as heck wasn't going to sit idly by. Not to mention that as of right now, the Clips have just sold out the Staples Center for the season.

Now repeat to yourself 'Clippers sell out Staples Center for season' again.

Here's the thing: this trade was way better than the LAL trade, but it didn't need to be. The price for Paul should have been what the market would bare, and the Clips were the market after the Lakers pulled out. They were trying to outbid themselves because of Stern's grubby little fingers being where he had said they wouldn't be.

And if it wasn't Stern but say, George Shinn or Garry Chouest who vetoed the Lakers deal and held out until the Clippers blinked, then its all good?

Above all that, its in Stern and the NBA's best interest to make the Hornets marketable enough to make at least $300 million on the sale. Its also in Stern and the NBA's best interest to show that, yes, you can have your star player move on to a happy place without leaving your team a smoking crater in his wake. And that's why I think this was the best deal for everyone involved.

Well, except for the Lakers, but fuck 'em.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA