Text Size

College Sports Arena

The Urban Effect (recruiting)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: The Urban Effect (recruiting)

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Marcus' highlight film is amazing, the only issue I have with Marcus is that he is already so big that it is likely that he could outgrow LB. I really want him, I am just nervous about him turning into yet another DE!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:19 pm

Cyrus Jones and Leggett are wildcards that I could see going either way. I really think tOSU could end up with one of those guys.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm

furls wrote:According to BN, Meyer has not contacted Dodson. Now that said, I think if Meyer reaches out to Dodson he may get him, but I am not sure that he will. It is kind of telling that in all the work Meyer has put in, that none of it has gone towards Dodson (or Kozan for that matter). I would love to see tOSU finish with Dodson, Diamond and Davidson, throwing in Kozan might actually undue last year's putrid OL class.

It is kind of weird that Meyer hasn't reached out to any linemen besides Diamond.

That said, their is a lot of smoke at Scout around Dodson and I'm yet to dig up a peep re: the other two.

Also, many believe Reid Friegel is going to OT. A couple of D-Linemen could be moved as well.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Meyer is also in hot pursuit of Bam Bradley and he could end up with him. I like Bradley alot as an LB. Similar to the Shazier mold: smaller, fast as hell and hits like a ton of bricks. I know most services list Bradley as a safety, but I really think he ends up as a LB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

furls wrote:Marcus' highlight film is amazing, the only issue I have with Marcus is that he is already so big that it is likely that he could outgrow LB. I really want him, I am just nervous about him turning into yet another DE!

Agreed
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Moving DL to OL seems a little desperate and silly. Sounds more like the wishes of fans trying to shift numbers around than the coherent thoughts of football coaches. Only guy I could see moving is Farris, he has enough size and eligibility that he could take a year and learn the position.

Fragel to OT is a great idea..... 3 years ago, when he could have put some weight on and learned the position.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Farris is the name mentioned, by people more in the know than fans.

IMO, the only way it happens is if Meyer really thinks a guy can't play in his D. Because he isn't going to force anyone out.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:According to BN, Meyer has not contacted Dodson. Now that said, I think if Meyer reaches out to Dodson he may get him, but I am not sure that he will. It is kind of telling that in all the work Meyer has put in, that none of it has gone towards Dodson (or Kozan for that matter). I would love to see tOSU finish with Dodson, Diamond and Davidson, throwing in Kozan might actually undue last year's putrid OL class.

It is kind of weird that Meyer hasn't reached out to any linemen besides Diamond.

That said, their is a lot of smoke at Scout around Dodson and I'm yet to dig up a peep re: the other two.

Also, many believe Reid Friegel is going to OT. A couple of D-Linemen could be moved as well.

I agree. He did reach out to Humphries, but he is solidly committed. He also reached out Decker, Psirig, Kalis and Evan Goodman and didn't get very far any of them.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Yeah, the Kalis turn down was apparently done at record speed.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:51 pm

I wouldn't have even called that POS. I know it is irrational, but so what. I want that guy to go 0-4 against tOSU. I would rather see him go 0-4, than see him S&G.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Unlike Kozan and Davidson Furls, Meyer has already called Dodson hs coach. Kozan an Davidson have confirmed no contact since the Meyer hire.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 pm

furls wrote:Moving DL to OL seems a little desperate and silly. Sounds more like the wishes of fans trying to shift numbers around than the coherent thoughts of football coaches. Only guy I could see moving is Farris, he has enough size and eligibility that he could take a year and learn the position.

Fragel to OT is a great idea..... 3 years ago, when he could have put some weight on and learned the position.

I don't agree with most of this, moving Fragel is still a good idea and for a team in osu's position, it simply needs to happen. He's a 6'8 275lb te who is a devastating blocker. Baldwin should consider the switch himself of he has any aspirations of collecting a check from the nfl. Flipping DL to oline isn't desperation at all....moving OL to DL? Another story entirely.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:39 pm

furls wrote:Meyer is also in hot pursuit of Bam Bradley and he could end up with him. I like Bradley alot as an LB. Similar to the Shazier mold: smaller, fast as hell and hits like a ton of bricks. I know most services list Bradley as a safety, but I really think he ends up as a LB.

I agree I think he ends up a LBer
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:42 pm

In general I agree with your point re: DL to OL and OL to DL. I also agree that Baldwin should flip with Farris if you are going to flip anyone, but I also think that flipping these guys is a pretty desperate measure. DL are generally much better athletes than OL, but athleticism isn't always enough, you need technique.

As for Fragel, he is an excellent TE and he is grossly underutilized by tOSU in just about every way imaginable, but moving him to left tackle should be Plan C. (Plan A, recruit another tackle and play him. Plan B, if Tackle is not game ready move Mewhort out to tackle with Norwell). How the OL got this thin is beyond me. WTF was the previous staff thinking?

Don't get me wrong about Dodson, I want him on this team and I would take him over Kozan in a hot minute. I think he is probably a push with Davidson.

My dream for 2012's OL (in order).
1. Diamond
2a. Dodson
2b. Davidson
4. Kozan

If I were Meyer, I would put all of my efforts into making that happen. Out of those 4, one has to be ready to play next year. I think Kozan is more likely to ultimately move in to guard, particularly if we could get the others.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

furls wrote:Diggs is a great big fat chance!

Fellows will be a med hardship.

Why do you think Diggs is a fat chance? Who is he so high on? He sounds wide open at this point, and to me we are waiting to see if we get an official. He has no officials set.

We get him on campus and its anyones guess. Tress was even in on him before the shit hit the fan, I think he was our first offer.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 pm

furls wrote:If I were Meyer, I would put all of my efforts into making that happen. Out of those 4, one has to be ready to play next year. I think Kozan is more likely to ultimately move in to guard, particularly if we could get the others.

I think thats the issue with Kozan, he's a guard and we need tackles.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:53 pm

furls wrote:How the OL got this thin is beyond me. WTF was the previous staff thinking?

Obviously we both know it was systemic, we were terrible in OL recruiting and development over the Tressel decade, but beyond the obvious I think they may have thought Hall would work out as a T, and there was the other kid who was supposed to pan out, forget his name, he was 16 when he committed, he blew up preseason his senior year at camps and started getting some SEC offers, stcok shot up faster than anyone I can remember.

Anyways he busted as well. Two solid tackles is about all we are missing from the status quo the last decade, IMO, so there you go.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 pm

The Tressel technique.... offer few and hope to land a high percentage of the kids you offer really hurt us a lot at times, particularly on the OL. When the Buckeyes missed out on Seantrel Henderson and Aundrey Walker it was devasting to OL numbers. Those days are obviously over.

We have been trying to get Diggs for a while, and he genuinely seems interested, but I don't get that same feeling from his comments that I did from Spence.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rec ... _blog.html

^ easily the most pro Ohio-State interview from the kid yet. If he ends up here this weekend they have a legit shot.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:54 pm

RT @LauraMcKeeman: 5-star QB #FSU commit Jameis Winston will visit #OhioState officially. I asked why he said, "Urban Meyer!"

If he comes, it is a big deal. You don't turn away the #1 QB in the country, that said, I wish it was the #1 OT in the country.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Wow.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/post/good-counsel-wr-db-stefon-diggs-visits-cal-plans-ohio-state-trip-next/2011/12/06/gIQAEPUeaO_blog.html

^ easily the most pro Ohio-State interview from the kid yet. If he ends up here this weekend they have a legit shot.

If he shows up in columbus I will be much more optimistic. I am hoping. Don't get me wrong, you guys know I am not a "Negative Nancy" type when it comes to tOSU recruiting, I tend to be a bit too optimistic. I just don't know about this one.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 pm

No I agree, until he visits nothing is true. That quote just stuck out a bit to me, seems fairly genuine.

And the Tressel era's closing practices would make anyone a bit negative nancy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 pm

My fingers are crossed. As cool as it would be to get the #1 QB in the country, I would prefer if the #1 OT in the country was coming. That said, I would be OK with the #2 WR (Diggs)!

Not worried about QB at all (I still want Winston because I am glutton). Remember, we still have Cardale Jones coming in this winter. Jones throws a nice ball, there were many in Ohio that were honestly torn between Miller and Jones. I was just glad Jones didn't end up at scUM, he strikes me as a guy that haunts you if he leaves!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks for the updates gents!!
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby JCoz » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 am

furls wrote:The Tressel technique.... offer few and hope to land a high percentage of the kids you offer really hurt us a lot at times, particularly on the OL. When the Buckeyes missed out on Seantrel Henderson and Aundrey Walker it was devasting to OL numbers. Those days are obviously over.

We have been trying to get Diggs for a while, and he genuinely seems interested, but I don't get that same feeling from his comments that I did from Spence.

Well Bollman insisted on working with small numbers and making them "interchangeable". Sam longing was the name of that other tackle I couldn't remember.

Getting diggs on campus this weekend would be huge, could help us secure an official, at which point all bets are off. I think Winston may be visiting with another high level prospect as well.

But space may be even tighter now that Dunn is making an official visit this weekend. Diamond, Diggs, and Dunn this weekend. So we got that going for us.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, moving DL's to offense is a desperate move, but no one here would deny that they are in desperate straits at OT, right? Although I agree with Furls that Mewhort is a serviceable RT, and would be the first option...(even over starting a blue-chip freshman like Diamond as a first-year player, IMO)

I Love (capital "L") Cardale Jones....6' 5", 215...big arm...athleticism...that is all.

Hearing that a Diggs visit is getting more and more likely, either this weekend or next.

Know someone who is close to the McVey family, and they are saying that McVey's football career is over...FYI.

I'm tiring of the Brionte Dunn act. He can't really be oblivious to how it looks for an OSU commit to be holding a defection to Michigan over their heads. Any other school, it would be a different story if he were truly undecided. OSU has good backs, and Ball and Derrick Green possibly on the way...plus they just offered another 5-star big back for 2013...name escapes me. If Dunn goes north, it opens another spot for UM to fill with a stud at a position of greater need. The kid is obviously good, and I'm sure OSU still would love to keep him, but....hope he doesn't poison the well for himself at OSU with this tug of war.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Biggest thing with Cardale is the lazyness and discipline concerns and by all acounts everywhere his year a Ft. Wayne or whatever has done wonders.

Many thought he wouldn't survive there, yet alone thrive.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Yeah, I think most are counting on Fellows and McVey calling it quits this year.

We will have to see about whether Mewhort is a better option at RT than say Jordan Diamond or some other blue chipper... who knows maybe we get the second coming of Alex Boone, Orlando Pace or Mike Adams. We have real coaching now on the OL, not sure who it will be but I guarantee it will be better than Bollman.

Here are some things I have heard/observed regarding Bollman coaching:
1. His players love him. (neato, but not indicative of good coaching)
2. He does not like to use blocking sleds (and almost never does).
3. He likes to make his guys able to play all positions. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I am not an expert football coach, but I can tell you that tOSU has brought in some excellent OL recruits and they have horribly underperformed. One or two guys is a data point, all of them, well that says something else.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Looking like Dodson is visiting this weekend, making it Dunn-Diamond-Dodson-Pittman all likely on campus.

With an even bigger potential haul next weekend.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:RT @LauraMcKeeman: 5-star QB #FSU commit Jameis Winston will visit #OhioState officially. I asked why he said, "Urban Meyer!"

If he comes, it is a big deal. You don't turn away the #1 QB in the country, that said, I wish it was the #1 OT in the country.

I read on bucknuts that Winston was interested in OSU before Tressel left and that he liked the history of black QB's at OSU. That might help actually get him on campus.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Tommy Schutt also allegedly visiting this weekend.

I've just never seen anything like this.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:56 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Tommy Schutt also allegedly visiting this weekend.

I've just never seen anything like this.

He was a Penn- etration State commit, no?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Tommy Schutt too? Hmmmm... that's nuts. We could use another DT.

Yeah I was going to write a summary post and start a new thread and try to keep it up to date with what we find as a quick reference. This is hard to keep up with... seriously.

FWIW: Sam Longo was the kid and I liked the offer, he was undersized but athletic. He just never developed.

FWIW2: Ty Isaac is the 2013 RB Meyer just offered.

FWIW3: I am starting to rethink the whole sanctions thing. I thought OSU should take at least 1 of the reduction this year. I actually think that we should defer them all and bank on Meyer forcing out some of the dead weight on the roster. He needs to harness as much of this momentum as he can get and these kids that he is getting to town are the kind that you make room for.

Some of these early offers look like shit now: Luke Roberts, Elflein.

I didn't think these were bad offers before, but I think we could have done better now: Roger Lewis, Tyvis Powell.

Not sure how I feel about Jacoby Boren too now.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Davonte Neal wants to make a visit now too....

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 pm

We legit are going to end up with 8-10 4 and 5 Stars on campus over the next two weekends.

It's mind boggling. Every hour another name pops up.

And next weekend could include the #1 DE and #2 WR in the country......
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 pm

And both Spence and Schutt were PSU guys Peeks.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:12 pm

BTW: Urban is literally just shipping Drayton all over the country, it's kind of hilarious to follow.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:37 pm

David Perkins, four-star from South Bend Washington (IN) will take an official in January.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Stefon Diggs to visit in January according to Mike Farrell (Rivals) twitter account.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Cyrus Jones to visit Ohio State next weekend.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Greene is clearly stating this weekend is Pittman - Dodson - Diamond - Schutt. Is also claiming that while the recruits may not talk about this weekend at all it means they are all Buckeyes.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:00 am

Hopefully Greene is right, I want all 4 in the class. I could pass on Pittman based on tight space I guess, but I think he could be a contributor. Diamond and Dodson are fucking critically important. I would still like to see Davidson in the class too. Unless Urban has another high profile guy that plays on the OL in his back pocket.... Goodman or Humphries (pipedreams).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:22 am

Scout's usual guys are calling Dodson and Pittman as done deals...FYI.

What we're seeing this week is truly amazing and unprecedented...especially this late in the process.

Anything after Spence, Diamond and Dodson is gravy, AFAIC. You know he'll grab at least one WR and one more OT, and have his pick of the linebackers.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Greene is clearly stating this weekend is Pittman - Dodson - Diamond - Schutt. Is also claiming that while the recruits may not talk about this weekend at all it means they are all Buckeyes.

Not getting that, what do you mean?
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:02 am

They'll are very possibly going to play up the drama as much as they can by letting the process go forward without much public statement while at the same time they are all "Buckeyes."

The Scout Guys had TP as a done deal for ages before he admitted it.

And Nevada on the Scout Board's track record for recruit declarations is well over 80%.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:26 am

Greene is highly, highly respectable,

I'll refrain from comment on any of the other scout guys specifically. I've seen an awful lot of highly probable educated guesses come to fruitition over the years, as well as plenty of airballs, with regards to recruiting or otherwise. Puffed up %'s from calling guys who are obvious heavy OSU leans is not impressive to me.

As a subscriber to all three major paid sites for many years up until last year, with the exception of Greene I find scout easily the least respectable source of information today among buckeye sites, although Rivals is a graveyard at this point, only worth a subscription for national coverage. Thats my opinion from probably 9 years of subscribing. YMMV,
JCoz

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:30 am

JCoz wrote:Greene is highly, highly respectable,

I'll refrain from comment on any of the other scout guys specifically. I've seen an awful lot of highly probable educated guesses come to fruitition over the years, as well as plenty of airballs, with regards to recruiting or otherwise. Puffed up %'s from calling guys who are obvious heavy OSU leans is not impressive to me.

As a subscriber to all three major paid sites for many years up until last year, with the exception of Greene I find scout easily the least respectable source of information today among buckeye sites, although Rivals is a graveyard at this point, only worth a subscription for national coverage. Thats my opinion from probably 9 years of subscribing. YMMV,

I agree on all accounts. I only listen to Greene.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:43 am

Well, FWIW, the only other guy at Scout I like is neveada and he has Dodson as a lock.

Like a putting his rep on the line lock.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Well, FWIW, the only other guy at Scout I like is neveada and he has Dodson as a lock.

Like a putting his rep on the line lock.

I think he may have staked his rep on Bron staying as well.

Ultimately I'm not one of the guys that has alot of emotions tied into the whole Scout NB vs Bucknuts thing. I'm just a buckeye fan who wants as much info as possible.

I find the whole buisiness of personally claiming commitment news and first breaks on news stories to be childish no matter who does it.

Either way EO, I appreciate the updates from scout regardless.
JCoz

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena