Text Size

College Sports Arena

The SEC and the BCS

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: The SEC and the BCS

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm

jb wrote:
hiko wrote:With 2 at-large spots, you leave yourself open to the same controversy (at an admittedly lesser level) that you have now.
End the conference corruption and put 'em in one big pool. It is one key to the NCAA presidents taking back control over the sport.

Except I'm not sure the the 120 D-Is want the NCAA to take back control. I see it just the opposite
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:51 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:
hiko wrote:With 2 at-large spots, you leave yourself open to the same controversy (at an admittedly lesser level) that you have now.
End the conference corruption and put 'em in one big pool. It is one key to the NCAA presidents taking back control over the sport.

Except I'm not sure the the 120 D-Is want the NCAA to take back control. I see it just the opposite

I could be wrong, but I interpret that jb means NCAA school presidents, not the NCAA organization.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:59 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
jb wrote:

I could be wrong, but I interpret that jb means NCAA school presidents, not the NCAA organization.

My bad.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 pm

https://twitter.com/#!/Oversigning

Another topic that no one wants to touch regarding the SEC's dominance.

Look, the NCAA flat out needs to go: "If you're playing in FBS CFB, You're allowed 25 scholarship athletes, per by-law"

Want to know why 'bama and LSU are good? Depth. You know how you get depth? oversigning. You go over? No Bowl Game. You do it twice? TV Ban. You do it three times in a row? It won't be pretty.

From then you weigh each scholarship equally, and ensure that either they're all year renewable, or are all 4 years. One or the other, NOT BOTH. No conference having differing rules on it.

Academics are to be the same whether you're Kent State or Northwestern. No exceptions.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Triple-S wrote:https://twitter.com/#!/Oversigning

Look, the NCAA flat out needs to go: "If you're playing in FBS CFB, You're allowed 25 scholarship athletes, per by-law"

Want to know why 'bama and LSU are good? Depth. You know how you get depth? oversigning. You go over? No Bowl Game. You do it twice? TV Ban. You do it three times in a row? It won't be pretty.

From then you weigh each scholarship equally, and ensure that either they're all year renewable, or are all 4 years. One or the other, NOT BOTH. No conference having differing rules on it.

Academics are to be the same whether you're Kent State or Northwestern. No exceptions.

Please stop.

They've won the last five titles in this BCS system using the system they're 'allowed' to use.

Either compete on that playing field or don't.

You want to take the high road, then petition to join the Ivy League.

To have other conferences sucking at the same tit that the SEC sucks from and then bitching about their position in the pecking order is just hypocritical and tiring. And it's made even worse when you start acting like anyone in C-USA or the Big10 or anywhere else gives a flying fuck about the kids in the system.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:46 am

SSS, maybe you ought to pick up a cause and put as much effort in to that as you do about bitching about the SEC.

Rescue dogs, solve world hunger, fix sidewalks wherever you live. Something.

Because anything you, me, Peeker, or God himself (if Peeker isn't him) has to say about the BCS, nobody gives a shit.

This is the system. People have written 300 page books on it and no one cares enough to change it.

And even if it did, the SEC would still have at least one team, if not two or three, in the final four and probably still win national championships.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:01 am

peeker643 wrote:

Please stop.

They've won the last five titles in this BCS system using the system they're 'allowed' to use.

To have other conferences sucking at the same tit that the SEC sucks from and then bitching about their position in the pecking order is just hypocritical and tiring. And it's made even worse when you start acting like anyone in C-USA or the Big10 or anywhere else gives a flying fuck about the kids in the system.

BRAVO!
:clap:

Trip S, you might want to start following the youth leagues in your area. They are only a fraction as corrupt as HS, College, and the pros.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:50 pm

According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:50 pm

CoversSports Covers.com Team
Las Vegas odds service The Sports Club: Alabama would be around a 7-point favorite over Oklahoma State on a neutral field.
53 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Were they faved @ H vs LSU?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:59 pm

'Bama gets in per the twitter rumblings.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Were they faved @ H vs LSU?

Spread closed at Bama -4.5 I think.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:19 am

Great National Title game..... I mean just epic.

#1 vs #2 and we already know #1 is better than #2..... since they went on the road and beat them.

I hope Bama wins and we have a split title, since LSU has earned it by beating the Tide on their own field, and you can't just dismiss it because this game is called the pointless ass "National Title Game". Hah! What a worthless joke this stupid system is. This game is going to be awful, like televised abortion awful...... but that's ok since it's allegedly the "2 best teams".

Fuck the BCS and the stupid apologists, give us playoffs or go fuck yourselves.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby hiko » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:20 am

swerb wrote:CoversSports Covers.com Team
Las Vegas odds service The Sports Club: Alabama would be around a 7-point favorite over Oklahoma State on a neutral field.

Which of course means there's no way Oklahoma State could win.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 am

hiko wrote:
swerb wrote:CoversSports Covers.com Team

Which of course means there's no way Oklahoma State could win.

Absolutely. Vegas has declared it! Like some disgusting pile of fail in Vegas should have his degenerate opinion considered at all. Toss all those odds makers right into a pit filled with starving flesh eating ants. I think that's fair and moderate on my behalf.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:46 am

Can we merge this thread with the Tebow thread?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:20 am

What Tebow thread?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 am

peeker643 wrote:

Please stop.

The SEC where 30+29+28+32 (119)<85. That is LSU's last 4 recruiting classes. To put that in perspective, tOSU's over the same period: 15, 20, 25, 18 (78).

How many major contributors could tOSU have found in those additional 41 scholarships? How much of a difference would they have made on a team that was already very close to national dominanace?

The SEC is clearly playing within the NCAA's broken rule book (no sarcasm), but this just underscores how jacked up the system is. The effect of signing an additional 41 players cannot be overstated. Right now, I can think about of about 10-15 guys I would like to cut from tOSU's roster that will never see the field, but tOSU plays by the rules (as does the entire B1G).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1C6y4Shy0

That is a pretty good article on the subject. Here is a particularly relevant point, underscoring the competitive disadvantage the B1G has placed themselves in by taking the "moral high ground:"
The Big Ten has no issue with oversigning because it banned the practice in 1956. The conference actually loosened its rule in 2002 to allow schools to oversign by three players, but even that rule is drastically different from the NCAA rule now in effect. According to Big Ten associate commissioner Chad Hawley, schools are allowed three over the 85-man limit, not the annual 25-man limit. If, for example, Michigan ends a season with 20 open scholarship spots, then Michigan may sign 23 players. No more.

If a Big Ten program chooses to oversign, Hawley said, it then must document exactly how it came under the 85-scholarship limit. That way, coaches are less likely to cut a player who has done nothing wrong other than fail to live up to his recruiting hype. "If you've oversigned, you're going to have to report back to the conference," Hawley said. "Come the fall, you're going to have to explain how you came into compliance."

I am not whining. It is what it is, but you can't turn your back on it and say that it is not a serious advantage. The NCAA needs to step and do the right thing and end the inexcusable practice if it is really all about the "STUDENT-athlete." I wish there was a way that could convey the sarcasm there....
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:38 am

I thought I read somewhere the SEC was putting a block on oversigning starting next season.

In any case, the same system that gave you the 9-6 rematch of the century is also giving you a thrilling Michigan - VTech Sugar Bowl. But hey, the BCS conferences are all gettin' paid, and that's what truly counts, right? Personally, I'm rooting for 2007 NBA Finals ratings.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 am

To Furls point above. I'm not big into keeping up w/ the recruiting aspect of the sport, simply due to time & interest. I'll also admit to being a lit naive to the over signing issue, but after hearing so much about it the past weeks/months I simply cannot understand how it cannot be viewed as a fairly significant advantage.

It's pretty simple mathematics really.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:31 am

When someone who is tied to these conferences to make their money, why in the world do you think they would report on this?

Now, the Big 10 Network should go hire those Yahoo cats to do an expose on the over-signing and what happens to the kids cut and why they were cut.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:07 am

Saban had Stanford ahead of Okie St in his coaches poll ballot ... that's just ballsy. :lmfao:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena