Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Pontbriand Waived

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Pontbriand Waived

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:51 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyGrossi/status ... 6190645248

#Browns have waived snapper Ryan Pontbriand, confirms agent. End of an era on Browns special teams. Details on replacement to come.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Pontbriand Waived

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Any gamblers know if the spread came into play in those two losses?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Any gamblers know if the spread came into play in those two losses?

Rams game they still wouldn't have covered. Last week, they still covered.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Then he obviously played the Money Line

:thumb up:

here's a thought....

What if he decided he had enuff of this clusterfuck of an organization and did it on purpose knowing he'd be released???
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:45 pm

Lets cut a guy who had two bad snaps because our stupid coach wants to play it close to the vest and win with FG's. Did he not have good snaps on the other 100 FG's we have made so far this season. I can't wait to here the spin on this.

Shurmur wants to live and die by the FG but the long snapper gets cut instead of him getting fired.

I really hope there is more too this that has not come out yet.
Cleveland Matt

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 pm

Cleveland Matt wrote:Lets cut a guy who had two bad snaps because our stupid coach wants to play it close to the vest and win with FG's. Did he not have good snaps on the other 100 FG's we have made so far this season. I can't wait to here the spin on this.

Shurmur wants to live and die by the FG but the long snapper gets cut instead of him getting fired.

Completely disagree.

Love the move. Sends a message, especially when 99% of everyone else can execute the snap 99.9999999% of the time. - Eff up once, shame on you. Eff up twice, shame on us for keeping you.

Old school move by H&H. Nice to see they strapped on a pair. Too little too late, but at least they proved they have a pulse.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mitch » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 pm

It's not just two bad snaps. Butch Davis's greatest pick ever hasn't had it this year, and there were a lot of other bad snaps that didn't end up costing the Browns...but doesn't excuse the fact that Ryan has lost his touch.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:05 pm

mitch wrote:It's not just two bad snaps. Butch Davis's greatest pick ever hasn't had it this year, and there were a lot of other bad snaps that didn't end up costing the Browns...but doesn't excuse the fact that Ryan has lost his touch.

To this day, has anyone ever come close to drafting a snapper only in the 4th round?

That was classic. A classic Butch moment. Right up there with the Jeff Garcia "teeny tiny" break comment.

Still will never come close to eclipsing the one year Crennel missed on like his first 14 coaches challenges though. After flipping a coin to pick his starting QB in the preseason.

:hic:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Cleveland Matt wrote:Lets cut a guy who had two bad snaps because our stupid coach wants to play it close to the vest and win with FG's. Did he not have good snaps on the other 100 FG's we have made so far this season. I can't wait to here the spin on this.

hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Then he obviously played the Money Line

:thumb up:

here's a thought....

What if he decided he had enuff of this clusterfuck of an organization and did it on purpose knowing he'd be released???

Or maybe it's part of his grand scheme to pretend he's depressed about being cut and fake his own suicide so he can get out of paying parking tickets!!!

I'm kinda thinkin' he could've maybe quit like that what's-his-name OL dude did this preseason.

He's a long snapper. How many downs a week does he play? He's got the cushiest job in all of football.
hiko

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Personally I think Pontbriand just wore down.

With SHUR-MUR playing for the field goal like they're worth eight points, Dawson is on pace to try like 100 field goals. Between that and all the punts, the Browns have been riding Pontbriand like the Brewers rode CC Sabathia down the stretch in 2009.

Guarantee they announce some kind of abdominal tear in the next couple days.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:13 pm

He's got the cushiest job in all of football.

I met that dude...

He worked at the same ad agency as my wife in Vegas

His Name is David Humm

770 career passing yards....2 SB rings
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
He's got the cushiest job in all of football.

I met that dude...

He worked at the same ad agency as my wife in Vegas

His Name is David Humm

770 career passing yards....2 SB rings

Ha! I stand corrected.

Who did the ol' Hummer play for?
hiko

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Raidahs
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:43 pm

swerb wrote:
mitch wrote:To this day, has anyone ever come close to drafting a snapper only in the 4th round?

That was classic. A classic Butch moment. Right up there with the Jeff Garcia "teeny tiny" break comment.

And the $12mil nervous breakdown and the 'except for the 2 or 3 runs" by Jamal Lewis and the trading a 2nd round pick to move up a slot to get K Winslow in the draft that allowed Ben R to fall to the Steelers.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 pm

Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:51 pm

swerb wrote:
mitch wrote:It's not just two bad snaps. Butch Davis's greatest pick ever hasn't had it this year, and there were a lot of other bad snaps that didn't end up costing the Browns...but doesn't excuse the fact that Ryan has lost his touch.

To this day, has anyone ever come close to drafting a snapper only in the 4th round?

Still will never come close to eclipsing the one year Crennel missed on like his first 14 coaches challenges though. After flipping a coin to pick his starting QB in the preseason.

The funniest thing of all might be the fact that Butch Davis, BY FAR, is the best head coach this team has seen since its return.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 pm

By the way, there are points in this teams history that you could seriously argue Ryan Pontbriand was the best player in the teams history since their return.

And that's not a joke. Throw out one year wonders, and think of guys that did their job well for 3 or 4 years. Sure, the list you compile will have about three names on it, but he'd be one of them.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:20 am

leadpipe wrote:
swerb wrote:

The funniest thing of all might be the fact that Butch Davis, BY FAR, is the best head coach this team has seen since its return.

I would say the best game day coach. If he had no control over the personnel, he would've been golden.
hiko

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:35 am

hiko wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
swerb wrote:

I would say the best game day coach. If he had no control over the personnel, he would've been golden.

Exactly. Being a pretty good game day coach makes him competent in one facet. Which, in turn, makes him clearly the best.

As sad as that is.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 am

leadpipe wrote:By the way, there are points in this teams history that you could seriously argue Ryan Pontbriand was the best player in the teams history since their return.

And that's not a joke. Throw out one year wonders, and think of guys that did their job well for 3 or 4 years. Sure, the list you compile will have about three names on it, but he'd be one of them.

1. Phil Dawson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Josh Cribbs
4. Orpheus Roye? Ryan Tucker? Ahtyba Rubin? Lawrence Vickers? D'Qwell Jackson (as long as those 3 or 4 years aren't in a row)?

Yes, Pontbriand could be #4.
hiko

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am

hiko wrote:
leadpipe wrote:By the way, there are points in this teams history that you could seriously argue Ryan Pontbriand was the best player in the teams history since their return.

1. Phil Dawson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Josh Cribbs
4. Orpheus Roye? Ryan Tucker? Ahtyba Rubin? Lawrence Vickers? D'Qwell Jackson (as long as those 3 or 4 years aren't in a row)?

Look at that list. Christ.

And look at the posts directly above where we disect the fact Butch Davis is clearly the best head coach since the return.

A long snapper, and long snapper only, clearly a top five player of the last 12 years.

Good Holy Christ could you suck more?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm

And Cribbs did some of his best work as a gunner.

3 out of 4 are special teams players. Might see a dozen snaps a game.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:15 pm

leadpipe wrote:
hiko wrote:

1. Phil Dawson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Josh Cribbs

And look at the posts directly above where we disect the fact Butch Davis is clearly the best head coach since the return.

A long snapper, and long snapper only, clearly a top five player of the last 12 years.

If there's any ray of hope, it would be that I fully expect Alex Mack, Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Phil Taylor, and Jabaal Sheard to also end up on this list in a couple years.
hiko

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:27 pm

This thread makes me want to drown myself in Christmas Ale.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:32 pm

How can anyone look at that list and think this team should be any better than it's been is beyond me...

The Continuity of Suck was splashed all over the wall in big red letters
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:04 pm

hiko wrote:

1. Phil Dawson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Josh Cribbs

I'll put Daylon McCutcheon at #4. 8 seasons, and pretty solid for the first 6 or so before getting dinged up.
googleeph2

Unread postby ShadowDawg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm

The "factory of sadness" dude from you tube is going to off himself.
ShadowDawg

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
hiko wrote:

1. Phil Dawson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Josh Cribbs

I'll put Daylon McCutcheon at #4. 8 seasons, and pretty solid for the first 6 or so before getting dinged up.

Let's keep drumming up arguments for top 5.

Excellent chance for high comedy.

Daylon McCutcheon........actually good call - and funny.

Which is to my point.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 pm

I had no idea who this guy was until the didn't play for us anymore.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Kevin Johnson???? 986 yards, 8 TD in 99. 1097 yards, 9 TD in 01. SOLID.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Pabo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 pm

hiko wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
hiko wrote:

1. Phil Dawson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Josh Cribbs

If there's any ray of hope, it would be that I fully expect Alex Mack, Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Phil Taylor, and Jabaal Sheard to also end up on this list in a couple years.

Hope is a dangerous thing.
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:Kevin Johnson???? 986 yards, 8 TD in 99. 1097 yards, 9 TD in 01. SOLID.

Ah, yes. Tough to average 1000yds a year when you mostly catch and find a comfortable spot on the field to avoid contact. No YAC yards.

Steinbach.

Winslow?

Jurevicius?
googleeph2

Unread postby hiko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 am

googleeph2 wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:Kevin Johnson???? 986 yards, 8 TD in 99. 1097 yards, 9 TD in 01. SOLID.

Ah, yes. Tough to average 1000yds a year when you mostly catch and find a comfortable spot on the field to avoid contact. No YAC yards.

Steinbach.

Winslow?

Jurevicius?

Steinbach I can maybe buy.

I don't think Winslow completed 3 good years here. Too injured too often. He had 2 good seasons and part of a 3rd.

JJ... he was only here 2 years and had 495 and 614 yards respectively (3 TD each year). He fails in both quantity and quality.
hiko

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:56 am

hiko wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:

Steinbach.

Winslow?

Jurevicius?

Steinbach I can maybe buy.

I don't think Winslow completed 3 good years here. Too injured too often. He had 2 good seasons and part of a 3rd.

JJ... he was only here 2 years and had 495 and 614 yards respectively (3 TD each year). He fails in both quantity and quality.

He doesn't even win the fastest to MRSA award. That as to go to LeCharles.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 am

Ok well that's all I got.

Hiko, you'd do justice to a nice article on this.
googleeph2

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:52 pm

Heiden?

Holcomb?

Dennis.....awwwshit, now i'm pissed about that drop, again.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:18 pm

The Browns are so bad all that's interesting are these off-season types of threads.

Northcutt: Remember that game against the Titans? Northcutt returned a punt for a score, caught a TD pass to tie the game and then recovered an onside kick to help the Browns win in overtime. The onside kick was popped over the hands players of the Titans, down the sidelines.

They've lost in some incredible ways, but there have been some amazingly fun endings too, like that one, and like the Dawson field goal game where the ball bounced around, through and back out and was good but everyone thought was no good at first.
googleeph2

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL