Text Size

College Sports Arena

CSU Vikings Hoops Thread

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

CSU Vikings Hoops Thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:51 pm

CSU trailed by four with six seconds left against Bostun U when Trey Harmon hit a 3-pointer. Jeremy Montgomery stole the inbound with 5 seconds left and hit two free throws after being fouled as the Vikings, who were down 11 halfway through the second half, escaped with a one-point win.

Nice.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: CSU Vikings Hoops Thread

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:42 am

Who needs the NBA.

:hide:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:12 pm

peeker643 wrote:CSU trailed by four with six seconds left against Bostun U when Trey Harmon hit a 3-pointer. Jeremy Montgomery stole the inbound with 5 seconds left and hit two free throws after being fouled as the Vikings, who were down 11 halfway through the second half, escaped with a one-point win.

Nice.

We would have never recovered from losing to Boston U in terms of polls/rpi/at-large chances. Today and tomorrow are much more difficult games vs. Hofstra and Rhode Island. Need them both to keep alive our chances of being ranked.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:42 pm

No miracles today. Vikings fall to Hofstra by 10 points for their first loss of the season.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:38 am

Took my son to the game at Kent Tues night. Great atmosphere. Packed house ... 6500 people in there. Just a very cool experience.

Vikes beat a pretty damn good team on the road despite having a very poor offensive night. Team just plays so GD hard on D though.

D'Aundray Brown looks great. He's close to being a NBA prospect. Athletic, great on D, and has ball handling skills. If he was 6'6 instead of 6'4 he'd be drafted, almost for sure.

Anton Grady is gonna evolve into the greatest CSU player maybe ever, and will play professionally. Also like the little Frosh PG and the Frosh big kid. Waters has this team here to stay. Get used to 25+ wins annually.

Loss today aside, this team is gonna be at-large worthy and is better 1-9 than Butler and Detroit.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:No miracles today. Vikings fall to Hofstra by 10 points for their first loss of the season.

Nice bounceback win today over Rhode Island at their place, 67-45.

What does everyone think will be required for an at large bid? Running the rest of the non-conference slate, something like a 13-5 Horizon record with at least one Butler win, and getting to the tournament finals? Strangely, if their profile is good enough, CSU might be better off with Butler or Detroit hosting the conference tournament so they don't have to apologize for blowing a final at home (usually doesn't end well for teams that do that).

The rest of the non-conference games are Robert Morris/South Florida on the road and Akron/Sam Houston State at home. Any of those losses wouldn't look too good coupled with the Hofstra game although you can probably excuse one if you push the Horizon mark to 14-4. Also need to root for Vandy and Kent the rest of the year so those wins continue to look good. Road wins are gold when it comes down to those last few bubble spots.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 pm

I think the Hofstra loss will turn out to be not so bad at the end of the season. The CAA is a very good conference that usually gets 2-3 bids and Hofstra will be right in the race to get into the dance.

We have 2 very good/great wins right now, Vandy and Kent, both on the road, but our schedule really doesn't allow for any more. Upcoming, we still have shots at some good/decent wins with Robert Morris (picked to finish 2nd in NEC) on the road and Sam Houston State at home. Akron will be a test at home and they should be at the top of the MAC (already upset Ole Miss) and at least S. Florida is in the Big East.

But in conference, Butler is off to a slow start and Detroit is struggling after being picked to finish 1st. I would imagine Valpo and Milwaukee would be top 100 teams like they were last year, and I'm sure Butler will get it going, but that's about it this year in the Horizon.

That also means that we can't afford to lose too many games the rest of the way if we're thinking at-large, because none of them will be "good" losses.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:11 am

Escaped last night on a D'Aundray Brown tip in at the buzzer. 45-43 over Wright State in Dayton. The defense held Wright State without a double digit scorer and I think Kamczyk was the only player in the game to get there.

Nothing wrong with road wins, no matter how ya get 'em.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:18 am

peeker643 wrote:Escaped last night on a D'Aundray Brown tip in at the buzzer. 45-43 over Wright State in Dayton. The defense held Wright State without a double digit scorer and I think Kamczyk was the only player in the game to get there.

Nothing wrong with road wins, no matter how ya get 'em.

Man, that was brutal. Looked like the game plan was to force feed Poge in the middle, and when Wright State denied that, CSU was at a loss.

The guys got scrappy down the stetch and started attacking the rim and getting to the line. Road wins aren't easy in the Horizon. Quite a few teams will lose in the Nutter Center this year.

Detroit lost to Youngstown last night. Their 8 man roster is wearing down. We need to kick them while they're down.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:28 am

Another solid road win last nigth at Robert Morris. The Vikes went 6-1 on their seven game road trip and are 9-1, 2-0 so far. Finally back home for a 2 p.m. game vs. Akron on Saturday. Anybody besides me going?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm

neoleo wrote:Another solid road win last nigth at Robert Morris. The Vikes went 6-1 on their seven game road trip and are 9-1, 2-0 so far. Finally back home for a 2 p.m. game vs. Akron on Saturday. Anybody besides me going?

I wish. I wanted to go. Have to go to a six year olds birthday party.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:27 pm

For those who can't make the Backyard Battle, catch it streaming at http://www.horizonleague.org/live/4568
You can also stream the radio broadcast at http://www.sportsradio1350.com/main.html

The Zips (3-5 at the Wolstein) look uncharacteristicly flat and undisciplined, losing the last 2 to West Virginia and Middle Tenn. Despite the big win at Miss St, they're 4-4 so far. They are wrapping up a string of three road games.

Forward Nick Harney in suspended for this game, hopefully Cvetinovic waked the fuck up or this will be brutal.

I don't know how many Zips fans are making the short trip to the Wolstein. There were plans for a "tailgate" at a nearby bar before the game but I had to cancel at the last minute. So I'll be streaming too.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Nope no video, just live stats. (x)
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:10 pm

The Vikings are clearly the best MAC team in the area.

69-66 Vikings win it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:The Vikings are clearly the best MAC team in the area.

They havn't played the Guins yet. ::doh::

Akron came out flat in the second half, and had a mysterious number of offensive fouls, but gave the better team hell. Wish I could have gone. :pb:
Spin

Unread postby neoleo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:The Vikings are clearly the best MAC team in the area.

69-66 Vikings win it.

If only the local media would realize it. I get that the MAC is based in Cleveland, but covering MAC teams that are based outside of Cleveland at CSU's expense is a joke. Today's PD had an article about Akron and that was it. Last night's channel 5 news previewed the game, but only interviewed Akron's coach. It's stupid. The Horizon League has been better than the MAC for 10 years. Gary Trent, Earl Boykins and Wally Szczerbiak aint walking through that door.

As for the game, CSU's defense is really good. The offense, not so much. There is talent there but they go through so many long stretches without scoring. A PG needs to step up badly. Luckily for us, our defense, and some clutch shooting by the seniors, has put us at 10-1.

Oh, and Zeke Marshall is a seven foot vagina.

That is all.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby swerb » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Beating Kent in Kent and Akron are very nice wins. A win at #15 Vandy. Other road wins over teams that could sneak into the RPI Top 100.

10-1. And starting to build the resume of an at large team. At South Florida next, then two cupcakes before Horizon play starts.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Lost by 15 at South Florida. This team really struggles on offense, and we had another 10+ minute drought at USF. Normally, the defense is so good it keeps them in the game, but the defense laid an egg in this game too.

This team lacks two things on offense, a PG and a go-to scorer. As long as the defense shows up, we'll be in every game, but we need to find those two pieces on offense to make this a legit title contending team.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:29 am

Vikes have won the last two non-conference games after losing to South Florida and are now 12-2, 2-0 heading into full-time conference play Saturday against YSU (don't tell E0).

Freshman PG Charlie Lee has played well in wins over Sam Houston State and Toledo, which has been huge. That allows Montgomery to move off the ball where he belongs, and it gets a ball handler on the court in crunch time. We've taken care of the ball and our offense has looked much better overall.

And South Florida took UConn to the wire last night, so that loss isn't looking as bad.

CSU also improved to 3-0 against the MAC with last night's win at Toledo.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 pm

neoleo wrote:Vikes have won the last two non-conference games after losing to South Florida and are now 12-2, 2-0 heading into full-time conference play Saturday against YSU (don't tell E0).

Freshman PG Charlie Lee has played well in wins over Sam Houston State and Toledo, which has been huge. That allows Montgomery to move off the ball where he belongs, and it gets a ball handler on the court in crunch time. We've taken care of the ball and our offense has looked much better overall.

And South Florida took UConn to the wire last night, so that loss isn't looking as bad.

CSU also improved to 3-0 against the MAC with last night's win at Toledo.

So what now to get an at large? 14-4 and reaching the tournament final? Might need to win the Bracketbuster game too. Horizon is looking weaker than I thought.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:So what now to get an at large? 14-4 and reaching the tournament final? Might need to win the Bracketbuster game too. Horizon is looking weaker than I thought.

Honestly, I'm not even looking at that right now. I just don't think the Horizon will be strong enough this year to get an at-large. There are some teams with terrible RPI's that will hurt the entire conference, and there isn't a marquee win like Butler normally would be to vault us up.

I do think Detroit and Butler are going to get their shit together (I think they have already started actually), but they sucked non-conference so those potential wins wouldn't mean much either.

Also, our two losses are pretty bad. Hofstra is like 5-7 with a 200+ RPI and South Florida is South Florida. If Hofstra makes a run in their conference, and USF pulls some upsets in the Big East, that could help slightly.

I do agree with you that the Bracketbuster is the wildcard. If we draw a marquee game like we should, that could help us if we end up on the bubble. Looking at the list of road teams this year though, I just don't see who that team would be. St. Mary's maybe?

The only way I see us getting an at-large this year would be with a very strong Horizon season, 2-3 losses tops, and then losing to a hot Butler team in the conference finals. I don't see the Horizon getting two teams if Butler isn't one of them and say Detroit or Milwaukee wins the tournament.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Horrible loss to Y'Town State today. Ughh....

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:Horrible loss to Y'Town State today. Ughh....

YSU isn't bad, they'll finish 500 or better in the conference. But yes, if CSU is serious about an at-large bid, they can't really afford to drop conference games at home. Same goes for hosting or getting the double bye in the conference tourney. One is probably OK but you want to have that saved for when the Milwaukees and Butlers come to town.
Kingpin74

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:48 am

Kingpin's right, YSU will win some games this year, that's the most talented team they've had in a while. But still a horrible loss for a team trying to win the conference. Can't lose to a middle of the road team at home. Just can't happen.

And this CSU team can not think about an at-large. Three bad losses already and the weaknesses that caused those bad losses aren't going to go away. It's going to be a grind this year in the Horizon League.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Already a crazy start to the Horizon League schedule. CSU, Milwaukee and YSU (of all teams) are tied at the top at 4-1. Wright State, Valpo and Butler all right behind with 2 losses.

Butler got crushed at Detroit, and Valpo lost at Wright State (where Butler barely won just two nights before). CSU already beat Wright State and Detroit at their places which will be big. Those teams will win a lot of games at home.

Next five games are key. At Butler and Valpo this weekend, GB and Milwaukee at home next weekend, and then at YSU. Have a real chance to put some separation between us and the rest of the league, and just as much of a chance to fall to 5th place.

Friday's game at Butler is on ESPN U. Should be a good one.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Vikings knocked off Butler on Friday at Hinkle but fell to a tough Valpo team on Sunday to split the Indiana trip. CSU was looking to become the first team in 31 tries since Valpo joined the League to sweep the Indiana trip through Butler and Valpo. I'll take 1-1, especially with the win being over Butler.

Updated standings have Milwaukee out in front at 6-1 and CSU and Valpo tied for 2nd at 5-2. Milwaukee has yet to play at Detroit/Wright State (where we swept) or Butler/Valpo. I can see them losing at least 2 of those games (we were 3-1 combined), which would help cancel out our home loss to YSU. CSU hosts Green Bay Friday night on ESPNU and then Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon. Huge weekend.

Also of note, an interesting dynamic has been added to the Horizon League race for the top seed and the right to host the league tournament. Apparently, Milwaukee is hosting Disney on Ice the week of the quarter and semi finals, so if they finish in first place, the second seed would host instead. Very bad scheduling on their part, but could potentially play a huge role in the outcome of the season.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Not sure if anybody is paying attention (feel like I'm talking to myself here), but CSU won a pair over the weekend to get into a first place tie with Valpo. Vikings beat Green Bay on Friday by 10 and then crushed Milwaukee yesterday 83-57. That's the same Milwaukee team that we were tied with in 1st place entering the game. It was a complete domination from start to finish.

It was a tough few days for Milwaukee as Youngstown also beat them to continue its surprising season (besides being at home, that loss to YSU doesn't look as bad now).

Updated standings:
Valpo and CSU tied at 7-2
Milwaukee, YSU and Butler tied for 2nd at 6-3
Next closest are Detroit and Wright State at 4-5

There will be some shakeup in the standings this week as CSU looks for revenge Saturday at YSU while Valpo and Butler each travel to Green Bay and Milwaukee.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:33 pm

Saw that. I have alerts on the phone for tip off, scores at the half and finals. Good to see CSU taking care of business and putting themselves in the best position they can.

BTW, 6 weeks or so until conference tourneys. Life just continues to speed past.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:13 pm

neoleo wrote:Not sure if anybody is paying attention (feel like I'm talking to myself here), but CSU won a pair over the weekend to get into a first place tie with Valpo. Vikings beat Green Bay on Friday by 10 and then crushed Milwaukee yesterday 83-57. That's the same Milwaukee team that we were tied with in 1st place entering the game. It was a complete domination from start to finish.

It was a tough few days for Milwaukee as Youngstown also beat them to continue its surprising season (besides being at home, that loss to YSU doesn't look as bad now).

Updated standings:
Valpo and CSU tied at 7-2
Milwaukee, YSU and Butler tied for 2nd at 6-3
Next closest are Detroit and Wright State at 4-5

There will be some shakeup in the standings this week as CSU looks for revenge Saturday at YSU while Valpo and Butler each travel to Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Went to the game yesterday, just a complete beatdown in every way. It was great. If Kamczyc can hit threes like that and keep defenses honest, they'll be very dangerous down the stretch. Remaining schedule isn't bad either, 5 road games left and 3 of them are against the bottom teams in the conference. Here are my guesses for which Horizon records would lead to what fates:

15-3: outright title, at large bid if they win Bracketbuster game and get to tournament final
14-4 and beat Valpo: Outright title and hosting tourney
14-4 and lose to Valpo: Lose tiebreaker to Valpo and head there for the tourney (but still get the double bye)
13-5(in any form): Outright second place finish
12-6 or worse: no byes

I think they sweep the Chicago teams and Detroit/Wright State, beat YSU, and split the remaining sets with the Indiana and Wisconsin teams, putting them at 14-4. May all depend on that Valpo game.
Kingpin74

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Went to the game yesterday, just a complete beatdown in every way. It was great. If Kamczyc can hit threes like that and keep defenses honest, they'll be very dangerous down the stretch. Remaining schedule isn't bad either, 5 road games left and 3 of them are against the bottom teams in the conference. Here are my guesses for which Horizon records would lead to what fates:

15-3: outright title, at large bid if they win Bracketbuster game and get to tournament final
14-4 and beat Valpo: Outright title and hosting tourney
14-4 and lose to Valpo: Lose tiebreaker to Valpo and head there for the tourney (but still get the double bye)
13-5(in any form): Outright second place finish
12-6 or worse: no byes

I think they sweep the Chicago teams and Detroit/Wright State, beat YSU, and split the remaining sets with the Indiana and Wisconsin teams, putting them at 14-4. May all depend on that Valpo game.

Good summary Kingpin. I honestly don't think we'll get an at-large either way. Lunardi has us as a 15 seed right now and our bracketbuster matchup might not even be a top 100 team. We're slated as a home team and all of the other "sexy" teams are also home. The top road teams are going to be slim pickins by the time it gets to CSU. I could see us matched up with Buffalo or Drexel. We won't get the boost that a Murray State or St. Mary's win would bring.

But I do agree with your scenarios. We need to win the games we're supposed to win, including YSU this weekend. It then comes down to what happens in three games. Home vs. Valpo and Butler and at Milwaukee.

If we win this weekend, there's a good chance we are in first place. I see Valpo losing one on the Wisconsin trip. Would be great to see Valpo, Butler and Milwaukee all lose at least 1 this week in their round robin to give us some separation. But again, the game at YSU is not a gimme.

Also, a quirk in the schedule this year has us flying out to Wisconsin twice in the same week. We play Milwakee on 2/14, fly home for the Bracketbuster and then fly back out to Green Bay on 2/21. Same thing happened to Valpo last year and they lost them both (including an OT loss to GB two days after a high-energy win in the bracketbuster game with Dicky V in their gym).

I'd like to see some distance between us and 2nd place before we make that trip.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Went to the game yesterday, just a complete beatdown in every way. It was great. If Kamczyc can hit threes like that and keep defenses honest, they'll be very dangerous down the stretch.

And didn't want to miss this. Kamczyc's offense has been huge for the development of this team. He's something like 15-16 in the last 3 games. He always seems to be open but just now he's started to take the shots instead of head faking and passing. He's also started to put the ball on the floor more, which is good because he's a good free throw shooter as well.

Even with Tim playing this well, I still think the wildcard is Pogue. As much as he frustrates me (which is a lot), when he plays solid minutes like he did yesterday, this is a completely different team on offense. Grady's continued development in the post helps here too, but he doesn't command as much attention in the paint as Pogue does.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby tribetalk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 am

They are expecting a huge crowd for this game Saturday night in Youngstown. As this article states: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1034 ... town-state this is the biggest home game for Youngstown State since the late 1990s when they battled Valpo in the Mid-Con.

Am expecting an environment similar to the 2009 game on ESPNU. I hope CSU brings a nice contingency of fans down on the short trek down.

Would love to see 6,000 for this game and of course, a YSU victory!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 am

tribetalk wrote:They are expecting a huge crowd for this game Saturday night in Youngstown. As this article states: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1034 ... town-state this is the biggest home game for Youngstown State since the late 1990s when they battled Valpo in the Mid-Con.

Am expecting an environment similar to the 2009 game on ESPNU. I hope CSU brings a nice contingency of fans down on the short trek down.

Would love to see 6,000 for this game and of course, a YSU victory!

CSU is bringing fan busses down to the game. I've made those trips before but won't be able to make this one. Should be a great atmosphere.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:22 am

Valpo and Butler both lost last night in Wisonsin. Valpo and Milwaukee play Sat, both tied for 2nd with YSU and Butler (now in 3rd) takes on Green Bay (who just beat Valpo and is tough at home). This CSU-YSU game is now even bigger (CSU can take a 2 game lead over Butler + the Valpo/Mil loser or YSU can be in a first place tie).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby tribetalk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Vindicator reporting 5800 of the 6300 tickets are sold for this game. If you are going, call 330-941-1YSU for tickets before it sells out!
tribetalk

Unread postby tribetalk » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 pm

CSU crushed YSU 67-47 in front of an over-capacity crowd of 6,300 at Beeghly Center in Youngstown. Was a game for about 10 minutes, then CSU imposed their will with a 18-2 run to end the half.
tribetalk

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:04 pm

Guess the Vikings were still a bit bent about that home loss to the Penguins, huh?

Drivers seat in the Horizon. See if they can get it done.

The Tourney draw is now only 6 weeks aways folks. Meaning in just over five weeks Championship Week is upon us.

Might still be my favorite sports week of the year. Looking forward to sitting at the MAC Tourney watching games with a laptop open that has games going and a TV next to me showing games.

Nothing better.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 am

peeker643 wrote:Guess the Vikings were still a bit bent about that home loss to the Penguins, huh?

The Vikings are playing their best ball of the year right now. Anton Grady has progressed to be a legit scoring option down low, which allows Pogue to play a support role instead of being relied upon to do something he can't do (score consistently).

With all due respect to YSU, the Vikings are clearly the better team and had no business losing at home. Waters refered to that first game as "a perfect storm" and he was right. Pogue was playing through a leg injury and was roughly 50%, Grady wasn't quite ready to take over yet, Trey Harmon (our best on-ball defender) got hurt and missed the second half which messed up our defensive when we tried to adjust by switching assignments. Also, Marlin Mason was still being redshirted (he started playing the next game and has provided solid defense and added a new dimension with his 6-6 frame on the wing).

With Pogue and Harmon healthy, Grady putting up double-doubles and Mason adding more depth, we saw a better example of CSU basketball Saturday night.

With that being said, it was almost a perfect week for CSU. We won, which knocked YSU to two games behind us. Plus Valpo and Milwaukee each lost, and Butler lost twice.

We're now a game up on Valpo with them coming to our house next week, two games up on Milwaukee and YSU, and at least three up on everybody else (including Butler).

The only thing I would have liked to see differently was Valpo losing to Milwaukee. I like that we now have a 2 game cushion over Milwaukee with a road game still to play there, but Valpo has a much easier remaining schedule than Milwaukee and can easily win every remaining game (only road games remaning are CSU/YSU). I would have liked to have that cushion over Valpo instead, especially because a victory over CSU in the Wolstein would give Valpo the tie breaker.

The way it shapes up now, the Thursday 2/9 game with Valpo will be for all the marbles. Get your tickets now!
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:23 pm

For BracketBusters, the Vikes get Drexel at home (unsure if it's televised)
Spin

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 am

It is, ESPNU at effing 11 a.m. That's back-to-back Saturday's that we tip at 11 a.m. thanks to ESPN (we have Butler on ESPN the week before).

Good draw for Akron with Oral Roberts. Lots of people on the CSU board upset that you got a better RPI draw than us, and you're game is 2 p.m. on ESPN/ESPN 2 while we got a team 30 points lower than us in RPI and a crappy TV draw.

I think Drexel is much better than their RPI (they have won 9 in a row and like 15 of 16 after a 2-4 start) and is a very tough draw. That actually makes this a worse for CSU because its a very losable game and a loss wouldn't look as "good" because Drexel's RPI is in the 80's instead of the 50's. On the other hand, thy're the highest RPI team remaining on our schedule and any chance at a top 100 victory is a good one (and I don't think we're getting an at large bid either way, but it could potentially help with seedings in NCAA/NIT).

Regardless of the disappointment by the CSU faithful, I've been eyeing this matchup for a while. Philly and Cleveland, two tough mid-major conferences, Bruiser Flint vs. Gary Waters. It just made sense to me, much more than Nevada or some of the other possibilities.

Another reason I like it is because Drexel should be good next year as well as they return almost everybody. Next year's non conference schedule already looks good just with the mid-majors. We have Kent and Old Dominion at home, and Akron and now Drexel on the road.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby tribetalk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Youngstown State beats UW-Milwaukee for the second time in 10 days last night 73-65 on the road at US Cellular Arena. The win puts YSU in sole possession of 3rd place in the Horizon League, who would have thought.

YSU has the two cellar dwellers in the league in UIC and LOY this weekend, but both can take down YSU if he struggle from behind the arc. After that, we finish with 4 of 5 conference games at home and the bracketbuster on the road vs. Austin Peay.

Great way to finish the schedule for YSU. Still in the hunt.
tribetalk

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:33 am

tribetalk wrote:Youngstown State beats UW-Milwaukee for the second time in 10 days last night 73-65 on the road at US Cellular Arena. The win puts YSU in sole possession of 3rd place in the Horizon League, who would have thought.

YSU has the two cellar dwellers in the league in UIC and LOY this weekend, but both can take down YSU if he struggle from behind the arc. After that, we finish with 4 of 5 conference games at home and the bracketbuster on the road vs. Austin Peay.

Great way to finish the schedule for YSU. Still in the hunt.

That game makes me wish Mil had knocked off Valpo even more.

You guys caught a break, in my opinion, getting the trip to Milwaukee out of the way now. With the stupid bracketbuster messing up the league schedule, we play the normal rotation with Valpo and Butler the 9th/11th, but then we go to Milwaukee the 14th, back home for Drexel on the 18th and then back to Wisconsin again for Green Bay on the 21st. That stretch will determine our season. Valpo is a must win no matter what, and to give ourselves a cushion on the road, we'll need to beat Butler too. That Green Bay game could really be a killer.

But YSU is definitely still in this thing, and with the remaining schedule has a great shot at at least a two seed. How great would a CSU-YSU championship be in Cleveland (or even Youngstown)?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:31 am

neoleo wrote:But YSU is definitely still in this thing, and with the remaining schedule has a great shot at at least a two seed. How great would a CSU-YSU championship be in Cleveland (or even Youngstown)?

And just like that, YSU loses to 9th place UIC to fall back to the pack. CSU has 2 losses, Valpo has 3, and then six teams are bundled in the middled with either 5 or 6 losses. CSU can pretty much put this thing away in the next two weeks if they win out in Chicago and vs. Valpo at home.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 pm

CSU swept Loyola and UIC in Chicago and now has won four straight by 18+ and five straight by double-digits.

The standings now have CSU with 2 losses, Valpo with 3, YSU and Milwaukee with 5, Detroit and Butler with 6, Wright State and Green Bay with 7 and the Chicago schools at the bottom.

Valpo comes to town Thursday for the game of the year. Anybody that has followed this team at all, I urge you to get down to the Wolstein Center Thursday if at all possible. The Butler game on Saturday will be more heavily promoted, but Thursday is the game to see. Not only is Valpo better than Butler this year, but we're basically playing for the regular season championship and the right to host the tournament. A win puts us up 2 full games with only 5 conference games remaining (2 on the road), plus we'd be up at least 3 games up on everybody else and still with a good shot at getting the tie breaker over 2nd place Valpo. A loss and we're tied with Valpo and they'd have the tie breaker. Huge game and we need you there!

It's also a big weekend for YSU, who is tied with Milwaukee for 3rd place, but holds the tie breaker. YSU can move into 2nd place if CSU beats Valpo and YSU wins both games this weekend.

I'm still hoping to see CSU and YSU as the top 2 seeds.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:11 am

CSU picked the wrong night with the wrong crowd to wet the bed. That was embarrassingly bad.

Or maybe I just picked a bad night to go down there.

They shot 25% on the night and about 30% from the arc. And by the 'arc' I mean the arc that delineates a charge from a block beneath the hoop.

Horrible.

Better hope YSU knocks off Valpo Saturday night because the Vikings don't match up well against Valpo and it won't be easier on their floor in the tourney.

And where's D'Aundray Brown. Get well soon, dude.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:34 am

You know, if you're going to whine and bitch because your program doesn't get any pub, and the Cleveland media outlets talk about the MAC schools, and you spend the first half of the season punking your program on a local radio station, you might want to man up and not cancel an interview after a loss.

I know many of you have a low opinion of Cleveland sports radio, but it was good enough for Waters to go on when times were good, and he wanted to pump the city up to show up for games. It was good enough to spend a large part of the day working on getting asses into the seats at the Wolstein.

To cancel a morning interview last night at 10:00 is classless. You wouldn't see that from Senderoff or Dambrot.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:54 am

Spin wrote:You know, if you're going to whine and bitch because your program doesn't get any pub, and the Cleveland media outlets talk about the MAC schools, and you spend the first half of the season punking your program on a local radio station, you might want to man up and not cancel an interview after a loss.

I know many of you have a low opinion of Cleveland sports radio, but it was good enough for Waters to go on when times were good, and he wanted to pump the city up to show up for games. It was good enough to spend a large part of the day working on getting asses into the seats at the Wolstein.

To cancel a morning interview last night at 10:00 is classless. You wouldn't see that from Senderoff or Dambrot.

Where did he have the interview scheduled, Spin? I mean with what station? Working from the homestead today and haven't flipped anything on yet.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:10 am

peeker643 wrote:
Spin wrote:You know, if you're going to whine and bitch because your program doesn't get any pub, and the Cleveland media outlets talk about the MAC schools, and you spend the first half of the season punking your program on a local radio station, you might want to man up and not cancel an interview after a loss.

Where did he have the interview scheduled, Spin? I mean with what station? Working from the homestead today and haven't flipped anything on yet.

Kylie and Booms
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 am

And those two morons will make it a story for a week since they have nothing else to discuss.

Bad form by Waters unless there's a real good reason he had to move it or not make it.

Still, all the begging and stumping and everything else, crowd down there last night was better than most nights but still shitty. You can't draw there.

Not a swipe at the people who enjoy Viking basketball as I've seen plenty of games there. But it's just not a draw and it's hard for me to see what hold the job has on a coach like Waters who could surely move onward and upward if he wanted to. Telling me he couldn't get a MAC gig again or something even beyond that? 4/5 past seasons with 20+ wins?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:59 am

Holy Fucking Shit was that ugly. Don't disagree with you at all Peeks. You're the perfect example of the type of fan Waters (and I) have been trying to get down there consistantly for years. Yet every time they have a big game at home where you guys actually pay attention, they play like shit. If I were a casual CSU fan that only came to a game or two a year, I would stay as far away as possible after a game like that.

As far as the 92.3 interview, those ass clowns spoke too soon. Waters was just on at 9:40. There was obviously some mis-communication going on. They thought he was coming on this morning, the SID said he rescheduled and they just didn't get the message, and Waters said on air that he always thought he was scheduled for 9:40. The real story probably goes like this: he was scheduled for the morning and decided to cancel because he was pissed, the SID heard the backlash and worked like crazy with the station to get him back on the air, and Waters tried to save face once he showed up. Just another fuckup to top off last night's awesome performance.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Next

Return to College Sports Arena