Text Size

College Sports Arena

Urban Meyer Rumor

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby General » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:06 pm

danwismar wrote:
Squints wrote:I was unaware of the close relationship between Urban and Bruce. Was Urbs on his staff while he was HC?

That is right...and they have stayed in touch and grown much closer over the years.

Did they shower together?
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:24 pm

jb wrote:Not to be argumentative, and this is not personal. It is merely reflective of reading concenses. But for a couple years I've read this n that about how awesome these OSU recruits were supposed to be when they were comitted. Frankly they kinda suck to me.

Sabino, Sweat, Kline, Berry, I could give 'em all a big fat "meh". Don't even start me on the OL. The RB's, the WR's, they all suck. Boom herron is the nbest they got, and he's a better version of "meh". Shazier impresses me as a young player, and Simon is the only legit baller on D that I see, but I digress. Purdue kicked their collective overrated 4 star asses in a game that had no business being close.

Is that all on Fickel? Is he Faust? I think not. Teddy the Wonderlizzard could coach a great collection of college talent and they don't lose 5 games against a mediocre BCS schedule.

So I now call BS on the Buckeye recruiting efforts over the past several years other than Peezy.

Fair points all. A couple of thoughts in response...

If JT and his staff misjudged the talent they were getting, then so did everyone else. His classes were, with the exception of a year or two, rated very high by the people who get paid to rate such things. I have made the case for the last few years that the Big Ten was not and is not getting the elite players in the country...you can look at the rankings of H.S. players by position and you'll sometimes go ten or twenty deep at any given position before you get to a kid who has committed to a B1G school.

That is always qualified here, legitimately so, by Furls and others, that the rating services have a bias in favor of kids from the south and west...so be it. But the gradual demographic shift to those regions is having an undeniable effect on where the talent is being "grown"...and proximity to home is still the No. 1 factor in a player's choice of college destination.

None of that, however, explains losing to fucking Purdue, as you suggest. There is the other bias that comes into play here too...recruiting experts take their cues from what kids the big programs are interested in. Is OSU recruiting Devin Bogard because he is highly rated...or is he highly rated because OSU is recruiting him? So much of recruiting ratings is total derivative bullshit.

No argument whatsoever that OL recruiting has been, and is still a clusterfuck. That is a vicious circle effect. Kids see next to no Ohio State OL's developing into NFL linemen, so the ones with NFL aspirations and abilities don't want to go there. The same could be said for TE's. Also, the Bollman-is-an-idiot factor...he takes OL's that were high school A-A's and turns out crap lines year after year.

I would also caution not putting too much weight on this aberration of a season. Remember that JT in his last two seasons won two BT titles and two BCS bowl games and had a total of 3 losses in two years and finished top 5. His recruits were (almost the only) exceptions to the Big Ten's second-class recruiting status (i.e. Miller, Miller, Grant, Grant)in the most recent class.

All that said, I blame coaching as much as recruiting for the "underachieving"...especially on offense. I don't need to rant on Bollman (any more). His ineptitude has been on painful display for years...with JT's tacit approval. There is better talent on offense than the scheme allows to show. I've become convinced that Paul Warfield and Jerry Rice couldn't thrive in this Cro-Magnon offense with the junior-high passing scheme they run down there. There are a lot of BCS schools that would love to have Devin Smith, Evan Spencer, Verlon Reed and even Fields and Williams...all with at least three years of eligibility remaining. The combination of a freshman QB and a hopelessly weak scheme makes the talent look way worse than it is, IMO. Also the RB's are not Beanie Wells or Eddie George.

On defense, the lack of stud linebackers is obvious...Heacock got the most out of the Homan, Rolle types, but for sure Klein and Sabino are a step down even from that level. I forgive this year's secondary for being painfully young, although I was sure the safety play would be much improved this year, and I've been disappointed so far. They've had some great secondaries there in the last decade, but this year's isn't one of them...but they'll get better.

It has just worked out this year that the DL is playing four defensive tackles on the line...the coaches say it's the way to get their best four guys on the field...but the fact remains there isn't a classic DE on the roster good enough to crack the starting lineup right now...and that's pathetic.

I think this year's freshman class has a ton of blue-chip talent in it...from D. Smith, both Grants, Shazier, Bennett, Braxton. The future seems a lot brighter when you think that only Sweat and Moeller are lost off this defense, and guys like Josh Perry and Bogard and others are joining it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 pm

jb wrote:
furls wrote:Tressel, as boring and unhip as he was, was already cherry picking the very best in PA, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois (to a lesser extent).

Not to be argumentative, and this is not personal. It is merely reflective of reading concenses. But for a couple years I've read this n that about how awesome these OSU recruits were supposed to be when they were comitted. Frankly they kinda suck to me.

Sabino, Sweat, Kline, Berry, I could give 'em all a big fat "meh". Don't even start me on the OL. The RB's, the WR's, they all suck. Boom herron is the nbest they got, and he's a better version of "meh". Shazier impresses me as a young player, and Simon is the only legit baller on D that I see, but I digress. Purdue kicked their collective overrated 4 star asses in a game that had no business being close.

Is that all on Fickel? Is he Faust? I think not. Teddy the Wonderlizzard could coach a great collection of college talent and they don't lose 5 games against a mediocre BCS schedule.

So I now call BS on the Buckeye recruiting efforts over the past several years other than Peezy.

JB,

You can only recruit the best guys. After that you really cannot control what happens. Tressel consistently landed guys that were highly regarded, guys with offers from all the major players.... Berry and Sabino for instance were 5* recruits with over 30 offers and both were #1 at their positions. Both had obvious physical gifts, but neither developed. That says alot about the staff and the player.

Sometimes we (I included) get a little too excited about how these guys do in HS and what their measurables are and we forget to account for the most important aspect, the kid's character. In HS these kids "out athlete" everyone. When the talent gap closes in college, they either work hard and develop or they are mediocre at best.

tOSU has had remarkable success in the past with camp offers and if there was one indicator I would follow for a kid, it is did he earn an offer at camp. tOSU pulls alot of diamonds out of the camps.... Hawk, Jenkins, Laurinaitis, Devin Smith, Sanz etc.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:03 pm

danwismar wrote:
jb wrote:Not to be argumentative, and this is not personal. It is merely reflective of reading concenses. But for a couple years I've read this n that about how awesome these OSU recruits were supposed to be when they were comitted. Frankly they kinda suck to me.

Fair points all. A couple of thoughts in response...

If JT and his staff misjudged the talent they were getting, then so did everyone else. His classes were, with the exception of a year or two, rated very high by the people who get paid to rate such things. I have made the case for the last few years that the Big Ten was not and is not getting the elite players in the country...you can look at the rankings of H.S. players by position and you'll sometimes go ten or twenty deep at any given position before you get to a kid who has committed to a B1G school.

That is always qualified here, legitimately so, by Furls and others, that the rating services have a bias in favor of kids from the south and west...so be it. But the gradual demographic shift to those regions is having an undeniable effect on where the talent is being "grown"...and proximity to home is still the No. 1 factor in a player's choice of college destination.

None of that, however, explains losing to fucking Purdue, as you suggest. There is the other bias that comes into play here too...recruiting experts take their cues from what kids the big programs are interested in. Is OSU recruiting Devin Bogard because he is highly rated...or is he highly rated because OSU is recruiting him? So much of recruiting ratings is total derivative bullshit.

No argument whatsoever that OL recruiting has been, and is still a clusterfuck. That is a vicious circle effect. Kids see next to no Ohio State OL's developing into NFL linemen, so the ones with NFL aspirations and abilities don't want to go there. The same could be said for TE's. Also, the Bollman-is-an-idiot factor...he takes OL's that were high school A-A's and turns out crap lines year after year.

I would also caution not putting too much weight on this aberration of a season. Remember that JT in his last two seasons won two BT titles and two BCS bowl games and had a total of 3 losses in two years and finished top 5. His recruits were (almost the only) exceptions to the Big Ten's second-class recruiting status (i.e. Miller, Miller, Grant, Grant)in the most recent class.

All that said, I blame coaching as much as recruiting for the "underachieving"...especially on offense. I don't need to rant on Bollman (any more). His ineptitude has been on painful display for years...with JT's tacit approval. There is better talent on offense than the scheme allows to show. I've become convinced that Paul Warfield and Jerry Rice couldn't thrive in this Cro-Magnon offense with the junior-high passing scheme they run down there. There are a lot of BCS schools that would love to have Devin Smith, Evan Spencer, Verlon Reed and even Fields and Williams...all with at least three years of eligibility remaining. The combination of a freshman QB and a hopelessly weak scheme makes the talent look way worse than it is, IMO. Also the RB's are not Beanie Wells or Eddie George.

On defense, the lack of stud linebackers is obvious...Heacock got the most out of the Homan, Rolle types, but for sure Klein and Sabino are a step down even from that level. I forgive this year's secondary for being painfully young, although I was sure the safety play would be much improved this year, and I've been disappointed so far. They've had some great secondaries there in the last decade, but this year's isn't one of them...but they'll get better.

It has just worked out this year that the DL is playing four defensive tackles on the line...the coaches say it's the way to get their best four guys on the field...but the fact remains there isn't a classic DE on the roster good enough to crack the starting lineup right now...and that's pathetic.

I think this year's freshman class has a ton of blue-chip talent in it...from D. Smith, both Grants, Shazier, Bennett, Braxton. The future seems a lot brighter when you think that only Sweat and Moeller are lost off this defense, and guys like Josh Perry and Bogard and others are joining it.

I will take the devil's advocate position on the DTs playing DE... at least we have depth at DT.

I really want tOSU to dump the LEO position too. Our best D's have had guys that were much more DE than LB there (Gholston, Vrabel etc.).

Is it just me or does it see like tOSU is not actually playing LBs most of the game? Our DL makes a ton of tackles and if they don't then the secondary does.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Plus...Furls earlier point about picking the cherries from the adjacent states is accurate well beyond Pryor. Sweat and Hall from PA and Hankins from Michigan are three of the current team's best handful of players.....Larimore and Joel Hale from IN recently too. Grabbed Bobek...nation's #1 center, from Ill last year. Sayin'

Consensus best recruiting classes...by far...last year were Florida and Texas...two solid programs still down a bit.

BTW...on that Urban Meyer.."recruiting guru" thing, here's Matt Hayes of Sporting News...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... excellence

Drip by drip, piece by piece, Will Muschamp is revealing why the Florida Gators have gone from back-to-back 13-1 seasons just two years ago, to an afterthought in their own division in the SEC.

Injuries, personnel movement, discipline, repeated mistakes, players not embracing big moments, etc. Each time, his mantra is the same: he has to coach better.

But every once in a while, Muschamp will let slip that Florida is not where it needs to be with depth; that “this is who we have,” that “you can see” where the problems lie. It’s time someone comes out and says it:

It’s Urban Meyer’s fault.

That’s right, the guy who won two national titles in six years at Florida left Muschamp with a heaping pile of I’m getting out of Dodge before it gets really bad.

— Florida has two (constantly injured) 180-pound tailbacks in a physical, grinding league.

— Florida doesn’t have a wide receiver that can get open, beat coverage and consistently makes plays. Much less catch the ball.

— Florida doesn’t have a true defensive end on the entire squad.

— Florida doesn’t have a legitimate offensive tackle; a significant issue since the new pro style offense is built around throwing off play action.

— Florida has 65 scholarship players (20 under the NCAA limit).

Muschamp won’t publicly say it, but Meyer and the previous staff were obsessed with recruiting four- and five-star players instead of true, meat and potatoes evaluation. The Gators are loaded with guys who played in high school all-star games and announced where they were taking their talents—but have few true football players.

It’s not something that changes overnight, and it usually translates into a losing season. Take heart, Gator Nation. You’ll win six games and play in the Music City Bowl.

So you’ve got that going for you.

---

Who knows...if Meyer comes to OSU, maybe Sharif Floyd will believe another dream story and come along with him.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:00 pm

So is he coming or not?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:45 pm

danwismar wrote:Who knows...if Meyer comes to OSU, maybe Sharif Floyd will believe another dream story and come along with him.

Dan that article was a POS hackjob though. Read it a while back. (EDIT: Incorrect, this was not the hack job I was thinking of. I thought you took a paragraph from an article I read a few weeks ago, this was not it.)

It wasn't just last year, for years and years and years Urban brought in fantastic classes. Muschamp might not have what he wants but he has plenty of talent. Urban didn't have what he wanted but he won with Zookers talent.

Muschamp might just be a shitty head coach. Thats the reality that UF fans have to accept as a possibility at this point IMO. Maybe he's a fantastic HC but needs his particular ideal players for his system. But the idea that there isn't enough talent in gainsville right now to avoid looking like a giant stinking pile of shit is......just denial IMO.
Last edited by JCoz on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:03 pm

jb wrote:
furls wrote:Tressel, as boring and unhip as he was, was already cherry picking the very best in PA, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois (to a lesser extent).

Not to be argumentative, and this is not personal. It is merely reflective of reading concenses. But for a couple years I've read this n that about how awesome these OSU recruits were supposed to be when they were comitted. Frankly they kinda suck to me.

If that is true then the Buckeyes should look every bit as bad for the next year or two starting largely the same players you see now.

No need to debate it because the results will speak for themselves and either back you up or disapprove this.

One thing I will say is that Hankns is a great player and easily our best pro prospect on Defense.

Other than that, we will see.
JCoz

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

JCoz wrote:Dan that article was a POS hackjob though. Read it a while back.

It wasn't just last year, for years and years and years Urban brought in fantastic classes. Muschamp might not have what he wants but he has plenty of talent. Urban didn't have what he wanted but he won with Zookers talent.

Muschamp might just be a shitty head coach. Thats the reality that UF fans have to accept as a possibility at this point IMO. Maybe he's a fantastic HC but needs his particular ideal players for his system. But the idea that there isn't enough talent in gainsville right now to avoid looking like a giant stinking pile of shit is......just denial IMO.

Is Muschamp so bad that he made them suck last year too?

I'm not going to defend Muschamp, and I especially don't want to stick up for Weis, but the problems the Gators have this year are similar to those they had last year. QB & OL. I think they have decent play makers at the skill positions, but it doesn't matter.

Now is it Meyer's fault Brantley is a piece of shit? He was highly rated, so probably not. Did he neglect recruiting the O-line? I don't know, maybe....but whatever the reason, the end result is they suck, and you can't blame it all on Muschamp because they showed every sign of sucking last year under Meyer.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:
JCoz wrote:Dan that article was a POS hackjob though. Read it a while back.

Is Muschamp so bad that he made them suck last year too?

I'm not going to defend Muschamp, and I especially don't want to stick up for Weis, but the problems the Gators have this year are similar to those they had last year. QB & OL. I think they have decent play makers at the skill positions, but it doesn't matter.

Now is it Meyer's fault Brantley is a piece of shit? He was highly rated, so probably not. Did he neglect recruiting the O-line? I don't know, maybe....but whatever the reason, the end result is they suck, and you can't blame it all on Muschamp because they showed every sign of sucking last year under Meyer.

Well I just went back and you know, that wasn't the piece I read, I dont know if points from it were taken (word for word it seemed for some of it) for this blip (whatever that was), but the piece I read was extremely similair but dug into Meyers having only stayed at places for X amount of time and trying to make a case against him going way back....so that was my bad.

Its such a common thing for coaches/fans to claim empty cupboard when a new HC comes to town. Yes the Oline recruiting has been thin and Brantley hasn't panned out. But do they appear to have a lack of talent if Meyer is still there? I dont know but I tend to think that isn't the case.
JCoz

Mel

Unread postby gnati » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:14 pm

He isn't named after a Pope, doesn't have "health issues", probably isn't pre-programed into Herby's phone, but tell me like I am a 5 year old why Mel Tucker doesn't get any run as a potential candidate?

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Mel ... 28e61f09a7

From Ohio - Check
Played in the Big Ten - Check
Coached in the Big Ten - Check
Coached at tOSU - Check
Coached in the NFL - Check
Coordinator in NFL - Check
Interviewed for at least two NFL HC Jobs - Check

What am I missing? A 39 year old African American with Ohio and Ohio State ties that is accomplished enough to get NFL HC looks...and he isn't even in the discussion?

Two potential draw backs:

No HC experience - which obviously can go either way, alot of guys with previous experice suck hind tit.

Perhaps wants to hold out for NFL - a legit concern.

Other than that, what am I missing?
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I think "No HC experience" is going to be a deal breaker.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm

One of the $$ OSU sites mentioned Tucker as a possible (but unlikely) candidate for the OSU job if Meyer doesn't bite.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Can Mel Tucker recruit? He's got the X's and O's part down, I'm sure, but can he recruit?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Mel

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:12 pm

gnati wrote:He isn't named after a Pope, doesn't have "health issues", probably isn't pre-programed into Herby's phone, but tell me like I am a 5 year old why Mel Tucker doesn't get any run as a potential candidate?

http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/Mel ... 28e61f09a7

From Ohio - Check
Played in the Big Ten - Check
Coached in the Big Ten - Check
Coached at tOSU - Check
Coached in the NFL - Check
Coordinator in NFL - Check
Interviewed for at least two NFL HC Jobs - Check

What am I missing? A 39 year old African American with Ohio and Ohio State ties that is accomplished enough to get NFL HC looks...and he isn't even in the discussion?

Two potential draw backs:

No HC experience - which obviously can go either way, alot of guys with previous experice suck hind tit.

Perhaps wants to hold out for NFL - a legit concern.

Other than that, what am I missing?

Not sure your missing anything in regard to him being a candidate.

The problem is comparing anyone to Meyer at this point.

The guy who's never failed anywhere at the exact position you're hiring him for is going to get the nod.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm

realfreemancbs mike freeman
Scout.com is reporting Urban Meyer has agreed to coach OSU for 7 years, $35 million. If true, whoa.
9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

FUCK YEAH.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Triple-S wrote:realfreemancbs mike freeman
Scout.com is reporting Urban Meyer has agreed to coach OSU for 7 years, $35 million. If true, whoa.

FUCK YEAH.

If true, SSS is my new favorite poster
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Already been debunked. This is what happens when a national reporter listens to what some dipshit on Twitter says to him before checking for proof. Nothing on Scout.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 pm

It might not "be true" right now.

But it is true.

And Mel Tucker is a great choice, if the best guy in the business is not available or interested. Which he is. And is.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm

pup wrote:It might not "be true" right now.

But it is true.

And Mel Tucker is a great choice, if the best guy in the business is not available or interested. Which he is. And is.

Pup, what makes you so sure he'll be coaching OSU next year?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
pup wrote:It might not "be true" right now.

But it is true.

Pup, what makes you so sure he'll be coaching OSU next year?

Because I believe he wants to. And if he wants to, there is no way he doesn't.

I believe he sees what Jim Tressel did with tOSU and believes in his heart of hearts that he is at least on par as a recruiter and better on game day than Tressel was. So he sees it as an opportunity to walk in and absolutely dominate the Big 10. And add about 110 more wins, probably 7+ BCS games and multiple NC game opportunities over the next decade. Cementing himself in the world of the best to have worn the headset. Certainly at the top of the list for this generation.

I think he sees an offense that is pretty well off in terms of his style QB, young guys with room to grow on the outside and a couple of RB that may not be Eddie George, but can certainly carry the load in his offense.

It is just plain to see to me. Maybe I am wrong. I have no direct knowledge of anything. He is an egomaniac HC with a prime opportunity to land where he belongs. We are a desperate program looking to get back to the top with more money than just about any other program in the country.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:31 pm

pup wrote:Because I believe he wants to. And if he wants to, there is no way he doesn't.

I believe he sees what Jim Tressel did with tOSU and believes in his heart of hearts that he is at least on par as a recruiter and better on game day than Tressel was. So he sees it as an opportunity to walk in and absolutely dominate the Big 10. And add about 110 more wins, probably 7+ BCS games and multiple NC game opportunities over the next decade. Cementing himself in the world of the best to have worn the headset. Certainly at the top of the list for this generation.

I think he sees an offense that is pretty well off in terms of his style QB, young guys with room to grow on the outside and a couple of RB that may not be Eddie George, but can certainly carry the load in his offense.

It is just plain to see to me. Maybe I am wrong. I have no direct knowledge of anything. He is an egomaniac HC with a prime opportunity to land where he belongs. We are a desperate program looking to get back to the top with more money than just about any other program in the country.

Then there's that portrait of Woody Hayes that he has hanging on the wall in his family room.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 pm

danwismar wrote:
pup wrote:Because I believe he wants to. And if he wants to, there is no way he doesn't.

Then there's that portrait of Woody Hayes that he has hanging on the wall in his family room.

Sorry, was just going with the reasons I think it is happening.

Did I mention he had a dog named Brutus?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 pm

BTW, no one at Scout can figure out who the hell they are talking about reporting a deal and contract terms for UM. No one at Scout has reported any such thing...as eO said above.

danwismar

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 pm

danwismar wrote:BTW, no one at Scout can figure out who the hell they are talking about reporting a deal and contract terms for UM. No one at Scout has reported any such thing...as eO said above.

I have no doubts nothing will happen until after the regular season. For all the shit tOSU takes, they don't want to be the guys out looking for a coach while they have one in place. Even if they are out looking for a coach while they have one in place.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am

I have a dog named "Roman", it doesn't mean I'm joining the Legion.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:18 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a dog named "Roman", it doesn't mean I'm joining the Legion.

If they wanted you, you would.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

So is this 11 warriors stuff about being 99.7% sure that popped up on my tweeting page for reals?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:42 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:So is this 11 warriors stuff about being 99.7% sure that popped up on my tweeting page for reals?

99.7% sure what? A deal is signed? I doubt it.

99.7% sure it will. Probably.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:45 am

We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural.

Retwittered by SSS.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:50 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural.

Retwittered by SSS.

Everyone wants to be right first.

I love the 11W guys, but you really think they are breaking that story?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:55 am

I have no idea. I'm new to twitter. I guess I'll learn to distinguish real from bullshit at some point.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:47 am

There's been talk and speculation about Urban Meyer for weeks/months now. I was hearing some b/s about an announcement last tuesday and it didn't happen...same as this new blue or green turantula, was supposed to arrive this week. Pick the order of what happens first:

1. New fucking blue turantula spider
2. Urban Meyer to OSU
3. NBA agreement reached
4. Blue spider kills black spider
5. Lebron wins NBA championship

Here's my order

1. New fucking blue turantula spider (really, how hard can this be to accomplish?)
2. Blue spider kills black spider (or vice versa) - - it's gotta happen, spiders are racist I bet.
3. Meyer to OSU
4. NBA agreement reached
5. Lebron wins NBA Championship (hopefully fucking never)

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:04 am

It is to the point where the Buckeyes almost HAVE to land Urbs or there will be disappointment across the land. And given the State College imitation of Cherynoble it is looking like if Urbs wants a so-called dream job, it is a list of 1 and 1.

Re: recruiting...

Gnati nd I used to have the same go-round, and he always made the point hat if the NFL Draft is an inexact science, place some arbitrary exponential factor in front of college recruiting, particularly early signees. So many questions related to physical, mental, and emotional maturation, inexact competition levels, and far less scrutiny into private lives . So I understand why they miss.

All I was really trying to call attention to was the quality of the recent recruiting classes from an outcomes perspective. I think we have had a disproportionate number of "busts" as we would call them on Sunday.

And Hankins would be what opinion suggest he is were he to do some real S&C. Right now he's not active on enough plays. I'll stick by my tak ethat Simon is the best player on D right now and best Sunday prospect.

Lastly, if there is a silver lining to Tatgate, it is that I will never have to see another Bollman offesnse as long as I live. haven't been this happy for a transition since Coletto went to West Lafayette.

Gnote to Gnati - Mel has to do some successful HC time in the MAC or Big east (same thing next year) before he gets a shot at a legacy program.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:07 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a dog named "Roman", it doesn't mean I'm joining the Legion.

Becasue you would be slaughtered on the worng side in Germania.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 am

danwismar wrote:Then there's that portrait of Woody Hayes that he has hanging on the wall in his family room.

Wow. Th eliving room? Not even relegated to the man cave?

Now that's man in charge of his castle.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 am

jb wrote:And Hankins would be what opinion suggest he is were he to do some real S&C. Right now he's not active on enough plays. I'll stick by my tak ethat Simon is the best player on D right now and best Sunday prospect.

Not A big deal, I just disagree. I've never seen a 330lb Dlineman play as many snaps a game as he is this year.

IOW, I think he's as well conditioned as I've ever seen at that size. To your point, he might be more explosive if he wasn't playing 60 snaps. As far as a college player he isn't as good as Simon. It's possible he wont ever be. I personally think we are watching Simon have a better start to finish season than Heyward or Gholston ever had.

But that doesn't change the fact that Simon is and always will be a tweener. He's a poor man's David Pollack. Simons' stock will drop heavily, fair or unfair, at the combine, and he'll have an uphill battle fighting to be the exception in the NFL regarding players with that body type.

Meanwhile a 330lb DT that plays 60 snaps a game with feet like Hankins will be worth far more on draft day (hankins will be a top 15-20 pick- Simon maybe top 60), and have a much higher chance at a long successful NFL career.

Absolutely love watching Simon play for the Buckeyes. But IMO, Hankins has far greater Sunday Potential.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 am

Just to make a comment on the actual thread topic, this rumor was really old and already supposedly debunked weeks and and weeks before this thread was started. I think it originated from nevadabuck at scout and as such was largely cast aside as rubbish immediately.

The latest on Meyer per message boards not only has Meyer agreeing to a contract but Offensive and Defensive coordinators penciled in.

So we'll see how these rumors pan out:

Meyer to OSU for 7 years for 36 million
Off Coordinator: LSU Oline/Offensive Coordinator Greg Studrawa
Defensive Coordinator:Former Gator Secondary Coach/Current Temple D Coordinator Chuck Heater

Thats the current Meyer to OSU rumor roundup
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:39 am

jb wrote:Lastly, if there is a silver lining to Tatgate, it is that I will never have to see another Bollman offesnse as long as I live. haven't been this happy for a transition since Coletto went to West Lafayette.

Amen, brother

danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 am

O-Line type of OC. I am guessing he's better than Bollman in that regard.

On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:54 am

googleeph2 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:realfreemancbs mike freeman

FUCK YEAH.

If true, SSS is my new favorite poster

Oops, sorry SSS. My favorite poster remains Dan Wismar.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:11 pm

dmiles wrote:O-Line type of OC. I am guessing he's better than Bollman in that regard.

he's certainly bigger in that regard.
JCoz

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 pm

A wise man named CDT once said this....................
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Urban Meyer isn't ever going to coach at OSU. Not ever.

That was earlier this year when there were several maintaining the Urban Renewal Plan at tOSU. Still think that now?

I was hoping Urban would have a handshake deal already in place. :hide:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:44 pm

fundamentals wrote:A wise man named CDT once said this....................

That was earlier this year when there were several maintaining the Urban Renewal Plan at tOSU. Still think that now?

CDT was right. I don't think Meyer is going to end up at Oklahoma State. I think he's a lock for tOSU.

See what I did there?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
fundamentals wrote:A wise man named CDT once said this....................

CDT was right. I don't think Meyer is going to end up at Oklahoma State. I think he's a lock for tOSU.

See what I did there?

Outstanding young man. Outstanding. :clap:

One other thing about the rumor. Urban Meyer's dad died on Nov. 11, so I would have definitely questioned the reliability of that announcement being on the following Tuesday.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby MOSER » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm

I hope this rumor comes to fruition.
Go BUCKEYES, INDIANS, BROWNS, and CAVS
MOSER

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Elway

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:35 pm

I realize most of you know how to get to ElevenWarriors.com, and many of you do so frequently, but here is their clarifying statement today on the tweet that caused a big stir last night...

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/11/h ... at-we-know

danwismar

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:16 pm

This is my prediction.....Meyer will be named head coach of the Buckeyes and this will take place at a basketball game. I believe that is how Tressel was introduced. It's only a matter of time before it happens. Take it to the bank. Urban Renewal soon, book it. :dingle: :nanner:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:43 pm

So many rumors, so much bullshit, so little truth.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm

jb wrote:

Becasue you would be slaughtered on the worng side in Germania.

Nah. I would've made a great Berserker, taking the heads of many Legionaries.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena