Text Size

College Sports Arena

Ohio State Basketball: 2011-2012

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Ohio State Basketball: 2011-2012

Unread postby davidregimbal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:46 pm

It's about 20 minutes until the tip off of the Ohio State basketball season. What's the over/under on victories for this team? Is 35 too high? They won 34 last year and didn't even make it out of the sweet 16.
davidregimbal

Re: Ohio State Basketball: 2011-2012

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Who's the spot-up shooter replacing Diebler, David? Have they identified that guy as of yet or narrowed it down?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby davidregimbal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Deshaun Thomas is really the only person with the scoring ability to replace Diebler's production. Thomas can shoot (not anything like Diebler though). But Thomas can hurt teams more with his work around the glass and in the paint -- which was absolutely non-existent in Diebler's game.
davidregimbal

Unread postby davidregimbal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:16 pm

One thing I do know, this team is too good for there to be this many empty seats in the arena. I'm hoping people in this city start embracing what Thad Matta is doing with the basketball program.
davidregimbal

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:06 pm

Jordan Sibert is a pretty good outside shooter. He's probably the best bet to replace some (but not close to all) of Diebler's 3-pointers. Weatherspoon can hit from out there too...more than you'd think for a 3-4 combo guy at about 6'8". From what I hear, Shannon Scott's outside shooting is the weakest part of his game at this point.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:10 pm

davidregimbal wrote:One thing I do know, this team is too good for there to be this many empty seats in the arena. I'm hoping people in this city start embracing what Thad Matta is doing with the basketball program.

I am at the game right now , this is better then the typicle pre conferance game crowds in my opinion. Got to remeber that the Shot is not a college bball arena, way to big. I will be at the Florida game next tuesday as well , I predict that game to be sold out. Biased on the crowd tonight I see this being a much better then average yr attendance wise.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:40 am

Meh, it's Ohio in the fall, who gives a fuck about hoops.

All about eating that pigskin every Saturday and Sunday.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby davidregimbal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:08 am

@Govbarney -- I'll be back down for the Florida game as well. If that game is not sold out, then I will be sad forever. Well probably not forever, but for like a solid two minutes at least.
davidregimbal

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:06 am

After watching that game I wonder if there's anyone else that believes this young, athletic team might lose a few more games this season than last, but will actually be a better tourney team when all is said and done.

Last night was chaotic at times with guys running into each other and the game was choppy. But if Matta does what he does these guys should be primed and ready when tourney time rolls around.

BTW, I still say when all is said and done in 12 years or so, Aaron Craft is the better NBA player than Sullinger. But at the college level, if you have a skilled PG and a college big man, your tourney chances skyrocket.

ETA- Sullinger has looked like a different person the last three years. Great for his college game but would scare the shit outta me if I'm an NBA GM. He's now built like a 3 with the game of a 4. At the college level he's still bigger and more skilled as well as physically dominant. Next level he's none of that, is he?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Matta's teams generally do improve significantly through the season. So I look for more continuity out of this young team later in the year. Lot's to be excited about. I think the key for them this year is Deshaun Thomas. Craft is a good PG and Sullinger will dominate at the 4/5 in NCAA (legitimate POY candidate), but I think the season hinges on Thomas. This team with a meh Thomas is a pretty decent team. If Thomas realizes his potential this year, then this could be a final 4 team. He can be the guy that makes it impossible for teams to give Sullinger the "Oden" treatment.

Thomas looks to be in much better shape. He looks a lot quicker and I think he is a big difference maker this season.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 am

40 - 0 and Sulliger is the # 1 overall pick next year and he posterizes EYEYO.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am

Sullinger? You mean the guy that can't figure out if he is a fat ass or a small forward?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Return to College Sports Arena