Text Size

College Sports Arena

Urban Meyer Rumor

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:51 pm

FWIW, guy I know down in Columbus. Just emailed me this.

Just spoke to a close friend who knows one of the largest donors of Ohio State alumni and the kicker endowment donor. He said according to him and a close ESPN friend, watch for Urban Meyer to be announced as the new OSU coach starting in 2012 (Luke to finish out and be retained on Defense with Mike V) on TUESDAY NIGHT at the OSU v Florida Nationally televised game. This is being done now to rally the team to win last 2 games. Also, they're supposedly handing down a one year (this yr) post season bowl ban. However, next year is the start of all new stuff. They want to have recruits reconsider OSU.

Just sharing the news
.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Would be nice, but I doubt it. There is a ton of smoke surrounding Meyer to tOSU, but some of the things in that email just don't make sense. I still tend to think Meyer ends up at tOSU (until he says otherwise).

Here are the things that don't make much sense:
-Why would tOSU self impose a bowl ban now? They already added on their punishment of 5 additional schollies for the FTM charge due to Bobby D. Makes no sense to just increase their negative news cycle.
-Why would they announce during the FL game? Strange timing (with Meyer's past at that school).
-Why would he retain Fickell and Vrabel? I am not sure that Fickell would want to stay on and take the demotion. Although with his showing as an HC, it would be smart to stay if he could.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:01 pm

FWIW there were similar rumors swirling around the Duke game on the 29th, that were put to rest about 2 weeks ago.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:50 pm

furls wrote:Would be nice, but I doubt it. There is a ton of smoke surrounding Meyer to tOSU, but some of the things in that email just don't make sense. I still tend to think Meyer ends up at tOSU (until he says otherwise).

Here are the things that don't make much sense:
-Why would tOSU self impose a bowl ban now? They already added on their punishment of 5 additional schollies for the FTM charge due to Bobby D. Makes no sense to just increase their negative news cycle.
-Why would they announce during the FL game? Strange timing (with Meyer's past at that school).
-Why would he retain Fickell and Vrabel? I am not sure that Fickell would want to stay on and take the demotion. Although with his showing as an HC, it would be smart to stay if he could.


I said in the game thread that a self imposed bowl ban makes a certain amount of sense. Even more after the loss to Purdue. Lesmerisis(sp?) wrote that if the NCAA comes down with a bowl ban that it will probably be to late for this year. If I'm OSU and I think that's coming, I'd sure as hell want to get it out of the way. If they self impose it, maybe the NCAA says "good enough."

Also, If I'm Fickell, I probably see the writing on the wall. I'd rather stay, because who the hell knows how long Meyer would be here.

Doesn't make sense to me that they announce it during the Florida game, though.

Swerb - the guy you heard this from doesn't work at the same carwash Delonte uses, does he?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:55 pm

mother, that isn't Furls point. His point is that if they were going to do it they would have this week.

Dumbass.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:Would be nice, but I doubt it. There is a ton of smoke surrounding Meyer to tOSU, but some of the things in that email just don't make sense. I still tend to think Meyer ends up at tOSU (until he says otherwise).

Here are the things that don't make much sense:
-Why would tOSU self impose a bowl ban now? They already added on their punishment of 5 additional schollies for the FTM charge due to Bobby D. Makes no sense to just increase their negative news cycle.
-Why would they announce during the FL game? Strange timing (with Meyer's past at that school).
-Why would he retain Fickell and Vrabel? I am not sure that Fickell would want to stay on and take the demotion. Although with his showing as an HC, it would be smart to stay if he could.


I said in the game thread that a self imposed bowl ban makes a certain amount of sense. Even more after the loss to Purdue. Lesmerisis(sp?) wrote that if the NCAA comes down with a bowl ban that it will probably be to late for this year. If I'm OSU and I think that's coming, I'd sure as hell want to get it out of the way. If they self impose it, maybe the NCAA says "good enough."

Also, If I'm Fickell, I probably see the writing on the wall. I'd rather stay, because who the hell knows how long Meyer would be here.

Doesn't make sense to me that they announce it during the Florida game, though.

Swerb - the guy you heard this from doesn't work at the same carwash Delonte uses, does he?

LOL ... no. Just a guy I do business with that knows a lot of people. Probably nothing. Connected enough where it was worth posting, labeled as a rumor.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Urban Meyer ain't going to be coaching OSU.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:mother, that isn't Furls point. His point is that if they were going to do it they would have this week.

Dumbass.


I get that, and I think it's possible that losing to Purdue might make them reconsider not self imposing. And that would explain them waiting a week. Not saying thats what is going to happen. Just throwing it out there now that B1G title game and Rose Bowl are definitely off the table.

Vaginaears
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby pup » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Urban Meyer ain't going to be coaching OSU.


Maybe not this week.

Or next.

But very soon he will be.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:53 pm

swerb wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:Would be nice, but I doubt it. There is a ton of smoke surrounding Meyer to tOSU, but some of the things in that email just don't make sense. I still tend to think Meyer ends up at tOSU (until he says otherwise).

Here are the things that don't make much sense:
-Why would tOSU self impose a bowl ban now? They already added on their punishment of 5 additional schollies for the FTM charge due to Bobby D. Makes no sense to just increase their negative news cycle.
-Why would they announce during the FL game? Strange timing (with Meyer's past at that school).
-Why would he retain Fickell and Vrabel? I am not sure that Fickell would want to stay on and take the demotion. Although with his showing as an HC, it would be smart to stay if he could.


I said in the game thread that a self imposed bowl ban makes a certain amount of sense. Even more after the loss to Purdue. Lesmerisis(sp?) wrote that if the NCAA comes down with a bowl ban that it will probably be to late for this year. If I'm OSU and I think that's coming, I'd sure as hell want to get it out of the way. If they self impose it, maybe the NCAA says "good enough."

Also, If I'm Fickell, I probably see the writing on the wall. I'd rather stay, because who the hell knows how long Meyer would be here.

Doesn't make sense to me that they announce it during the Florida game, though.

Swerb - the guy you heard this from doesn't work at the same carwash Delonte uses, does he?

LOL ... no. Just a guy I do business with that knows a lot of people. Probably nothing. Connected enough where it was worth posting, labeled as a rumor.


There are a ton of rumors re: Meyer circulating right now. While it is hard to know which ones to believe and which ones are third recountings of already public rumors with just enough deviation in detail to make them seem new, the overall trend of the rumors and the volume of rumors is interesting data.

These Meyer to tOSU rumors have legs. There have already been several slip ups by Meyer's friends (and colleagues at E!SPiN). If he does not end up at tOSU I will be very surprised.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:07 am

motherscratcher wrote:
furls wrote:Swerb - the guy you heard this from doesn't work at the same carwash Delonte uses, does he?


Mother,

Delonte doesn't go to the east side wash no more so that proprietary information channel is dead. That said, you head on over there and ask them for the detailing and ground effect package and they'll add some scoops and spoilers to your Honda CRX SUV and make it look like a Porsche Cayenne. They'll even put those blue glow lights underneath and change out the crappy factory horn. Perfect ride for a local dentist trying to change his rep and distance himself from the protesters outside his office.
____________________________________________________________________________

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:22 pm
Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 am

Furls, what are the ESPN slip-ups you have heard? I haven't heard them but I would like Urban to be OSU's next coach. Any info would be appreciated.
____________________________________________________________________________

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:22 pm
Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:50 am

During the LSU-WVU game this year Musburger and Herbstreit were joking about the Meyer bought a house in Upper Arlington rumors on the air with Urban Meyer. At the end of the conversation, Musburger said to Meyer, "Good luck with your decision." Kind of implies that he had been offered that early.

-Herbstreit (no secret he is friends with Meyer) basically said that he would like to go into coaching if he left E!SPiN and that he has talked to Meyer about being a QB Coach (growing to OC) for him. This implies multiple conversations with Meyer about Meyer's coaching future (duh!), so obviously Meyer is talking about it.

-Spielman (no secret he is a Meyer confidant and friend) has come out and said he believes Urban will be the HC.

-When pressed (and not in crotchety old man mode) Earle Bruce has said basically the same as Spielman (remember they have that coach-protege thing going on).

-Finally, what is probably most telling to me is not what Meyer has said, but what he has not said. Meyer came out and out-right denied any interest in the PSU job when those rumors came up (prior to the sandusky scandal). Now tOSU on the other hand, there is about 100X more rumors. Rumors he could put to bed very quickly, but he has not. All he has to do is say, I am not interested in the coaching position, but he has not.

-Rumors I have heard are that Meyer is going to be signed to a 6ish year deal at 5-6MM per year. With a pile of money dedicated to assistants. One guy went so far to say that the admin/BOT realizes that this is the best way to break their negative news cycle. Definitely should put an end to the E!SPiN vendetta.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 am

Boy, I sure hope OSU doesn't get banned from the Little Caesars Bowl against the MAC champ this season.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:28 am

Might be a good thing, I am not sure tOSU could beat Toledo in a rematch.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 am

I'm not taking down my flag just yet.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:04 pm

I plan my saturdays around tOSU football, as hard as it is. Now I remember what it was like to be a Browns fan.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:09 pm

swerb wrote:FWIW, guy I know down in Columbus. Just emailed me this.

Just spoke to a close friend who knows one of the largest donors of Ohio State alumni and the kicker endowment donor. He said according to him and a close ESPN friend, watch for Urban Meyer to be announced as the new OSU coach starting in 2012 (Luke to finish out and be retained on Defense with Mike V) on TUESDAY NIGHT at the OSU v Florida Nationally televised game. This is being done now to rally the team to win last 2 games. Also, they're supposedly handing down a one year (this yr) post season bowl ban. However, next year is the start of all new stuff. They want to have recruits reconsider OSU.

Just sharing the news
.


Seems awfully strange to me.

Isn't there an unwritten rule in coaching that you never talk about another mans job when he has a hold of it?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6367
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Triple-S wrote:Isn't there an unwritten rule in coaching that you never talk about another mans job when he has a hold of it?


I don't see any Meyer quotes anywhere regarding his thoughts on the OSU job. Am I missing them?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:I don't see any Meyer quotes anywhere regarding his thoughts on the OSU job. Am I missing them?


There are none that I'm aware of.

As long as he doesn't come out with any disavowals, I'm going to assume the rampant rumors we've been hearing about his active interest have some validity.

Earle Bruce is the key intermediary here. Urban is like a son to Earle, who is clearly still close to the OSU Board and to the football program.

I'm skeptical about the rumor of an announcement tomorrow...for lots of reasons...not least that even if there would be perceived recruiting benefits, it would still be a pretty tacky undermining of Fickell, even if he is to be retained.

Also skeptical about OSU planning to self-impose a postseason ban....because I have reason to believe that they think a ban is not yet a sure thing.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:35 pm

danwismar wrote:Also skeptical about OSU planning to self-impose a postseason ban....because I have reason to believe that they think a ban is not yet a sure thing.


To clarify, since I'm the one who keeps bringing that up, I haven't heard any rumors about a self imposed bowl ban anywhere. It's just my bright idea.

After everything, and the continual bad news since about this time last year, I just don't see how they avoid a bowl ban. Apparently, though, people who know way more about it than me think it's unlikely.

What do you think, Dan? think a bowl ban is coming? Is it wishful thinking that OSU would avoid it?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I haven't kept up with the rumor mills like you guys have, but he left Florida for a reason. He had some serious health issues. Pelini or Dantonio is still my guess.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:23 pm

furls wrote:During the LSU-WVU game this year Musburger and Herbstreit were joking about the Meyer bought a house in Upper Arlington rumors on the air with Urban Meyer. At the end of the conversation, Musburger said to Meyer, "Good luck with your decision." Kind of implies that he had been offered that early.

-Herbstreit (no secret he is friends with Meyer) basically said that he would like to go into coaching if he left E!SPiN and that he has talked to Meyer about being a QB Coach (growing to OC) for him. This implies multiple conversations with Meyer about Meyer's coaching future (duh!), so obviously Meyer is talking about it.

-Spielman (no secret he is a Meyer confidant and friend) has come out and said he believes Urban will be the HC.

-When pressed (and not in crotchety old man mode) Earle Bruce has said basically the same as Spielman (remember they have that coach-protege thing going on).

-Finally, what is probably most telling to me is not what Meyer has said, but what he has not said. Meyer came out and out-right denied any interest in the PSU job when those rumors came up (prior to the sandusky scandal). Now tOSU on the other hand, there is about 100X more rumors. Rumors he could put to bed very quickly, but he has not. All he has to do is say, I am not interested in the coaching position, but he has not.

-Rumors I have heard are that Meyer is going to be signed to a 6ish year deal at 5-6MM per year. With a pile of money dedicated to assistants. One guy went so far to say that the admin/BOT realizes that this is the best way to break their negative news cycle. Definitely should put an end to the E!SPiN vendetta.



Oh wow.... you're like the internet version of Sherlock Holmes.... just without the addiction to cocaine and creepy sidekick.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Squints » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm

I am all in on Urban. I think we stop at nothing to get him and I hope all of these rumors eventually come true.

That being said, do we have a plan B? Has another name come up? Chris Peterson, Furls, CDT? I have debated with friends that the worse thing that could happen is that we win out following the Nebraska game, fueling the "Let's grow with Fickell" camp. The guys on Buckeye Blitz are ready to give him a three year contract. And while I may have channeled my inner Browns fan this Saturday, I am not all that upset that we lost. How we lost, but not the fact that we lost. Just wondering what other names are out there, if at all because it seems like it's Urban or keep Fickell right now.
Squints
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Fairview, PA
Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Probably not going to happen Tuesday, unless he is coming straight from his Father's funeral.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/11/urban-meyer-will-not-be-at-saturdays-penn-state-game/1
User avatar
ole uncle charle
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
furls wrote:During the LSU-WVU game this year Musburger and Herbstreit were joking about the Meyer bought a house in Upper Arlington rumors on the air with Urban Meyer. At the end of the conversation, Musburger said to Meyer, "Good luck with your decision." Kind of implies that he had been offered that early.

-Herbstreit (no secret he is friends with Meyer) basically said that he would like to go into coaching if he left E!SPiN and that he has talked to Meyer about being a QB Coach (growing to OC) for him. This implies multiple conversations with Meyer about Meyer's coaching future (duh!), so obviously Meyer is talking about it.

-Spielman (no secret he is a Meyer confidant and friend) has come out and said he believes Urban will be the HC.

-When pressed (and not in crotchety old man mode) Earle Bruce has said basically the same as Spielman (remember they have that coach-protege thing going on).

-Finally, what is probably most telling to me is not what Meyer has said, but what he has not said. Meyer came out and out-right denied any interest in the PSU job when those rumors came up (prior to the sandusky scandal). Now tOSU on the other hand, there is about 100X more rumors. Rumors he could put to bed very quickly, but he has not. All he has to do is say, I am not interested in the coaching position, but he has not.

-Rumors I have heard are that Meyer is going to be signed to a 6ish year deal at 5-6MM per year. With a pile of money dedicated to assistants. One guy went so far to say that the admin/BOT realizes that this is the best way to break their negative news cycle. Definitely should put an end to the E!SPiN vendetta.



Oh wow.... you're like the internet version of Sherlock Holmes.... just without the addiction to cocaine and creepy sidekick.


My sidekick was an assistant at PSU and drives a van with no windows.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Squints wrote:I am all in on Urban. I think we stop at nothing to get him and I hope all of these rumors eventually come true.

That being said, do we have a plan B? Has another name come up? Chris Peterson, Furls, CDT? I have debated with friends that the worse thing that could happen is that we win out following the Nebraska game, fueling the "Let's grow with Fickell" camp. The guys on Buckeye Blitz are ready to give him a three year contract. And while I may have channeled my inner Browns fan this Saturday, I am not all that upset that we lost. How we lost, but not the fact that we lost. Just wondering what other names are out there, if at all because it seems like it's Urban or keep Fickell right now.


-No way on Peterson, I don't think you could get him out of Boise if you backed the Brinks truck up to his house.
-There are some names out there.... Pelini, Dantonio, Stoops (doubt he would leave), Gruden (no way he gets an offer), and then of course there are the budget choices (MAC-types).
-In the end, I think it is Meyer, but if he doesn't come, then it is Pelini. I am not that excited about Pelini, but they could do worse. I just hope whoever it is, they get a real OC. I am sick of watching a team with a ton of talent squeak by against crappy Ohio University teams.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for the information Furls. I hope you're right and that Urban does come to Columbus.
____________________________________________________________________________

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:22 pm
Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:53 am

motherscratcher wrote:What do you think, Dan? think a bowl ban is coming? Is it wishful thinking that OSU would avoid it?


I think yes...and yes.

Way back in June...speculating on the weight of the Hammer, I wrote:

Best guess. Multiple years of probation. (they can do that standing on their heads...the NCAA has been sitting in their living room for three months now). Vacate 2010 wins and Big Ten title. One year bowl ban. No scholarship losses.

Five months and a lot of water under the bridge since, that's still what I expect....(obviously they self-imposed a few scholarship losses a couple weeks ago)
The postseason ban became much more likely with the DiGeronimo stuff...because he was a booster, even though Tressel had tried repeatedly....and mostly successfully...to drum him out of the program. He just couldn't keep him from contacting players directly.

But there are media people close to Gene Smith who think it won't happen, so maybe they know something...?

They don't want to lose the extra 3-5 weeks of practice that bowl participation allows...that's a way bigger factor than the Poulan Weedeater Bowl payout.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am

OSU should decline any bowl they're invited to this year, even if they're not hit with the ban. I know it sucks for the seniors, but we do not deserve to go to a bowl. Not after what happened and not after how bad this team has played.

As for Meyer, i've yet to read any credible report that he's coming to OSU.... or that he's even talked to OSU in any capacity.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:43 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:OSU should decline any bowl they're invited to this year, even if they're not hit with the ban. I know it sucks for the seniors, but we do not deserve to go to a bowl. Not after what happened and not after how bad this team has played.

As for Meyer, i've yet to read any credible report that he's coming to OSU.... or that he's even talked to OSU in any capacity.


I agree with point one. They should sit out the bowl this year on their own. They should have self imposed it the second the FTM hit the streets just to make sure that they get it all taken care of this year. With the impending delay in the NCAA hearing, the final outcome will be too late for a ban this year. So assuming they get a good coach this year and improve, then that ban could really hurt with what should be a good team next year.

As for Meyer, there is nothing in public. Lots of rumors of backroom dealings. I wouldn't expect anything public and LF did not make himself impossible to retain until last week (although I was done after the MSU debacle).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby tired » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:21 am

Nevadabuck from scout is saying it's a done deal and will be announced during halftime of the OSU-Duke game FWIW
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
User avatar
tired
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:10 pm
Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:52 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote: As for Meyer, i've yet to read any credible report that he's coming to OSU.... or that he's even talked to OSU in any capacity.


Yea, but he was seen having a burger at Thurman's Cafe with Bill Cowher.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3671
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:As for Meyer, i've yet to read any credible report that he's coming to OSU.... or that he's even talked to OSU in any capacity.



Guy I know sorta well never met him PM'd me on the internets and says his wife is friends with Tennesee Herbie's wife and says Herbie told him Meyer's family loves C-Bus can't wait to move here and it is a done deal. Urban meyer will be at tOSU this spring and he the fam hated State College even before all the nausea.

So there.

Urban Meyer = Pizza to CDT.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 am

jb wrote:Urban Meyer = Pizza to CDT.


And Vic Morrow references, apparently.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:40 am

I'm a little disappointed there's not one of those websites up yet that is tracking Meyer's every move via sattelite cameras.

I wanna know where the guy is at 10:40 AM on a Tuesday god dammit. I'm looking for any hints or clues.

The guy is almost guaranteed to win the national title in CBus if he comes here, providing he doesn't die cause of over-recruiting and excessive celebrating.

Big difference between that and "I hope Bo Pelini keeps us relevant."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:11 pm

swerb wrote:I'm a little disappointed there's not one of those websites up yet that is tracking Meyer's every move via sattelite cameras.

I wanna know where the guy is at 10:40 AM on a Tuesday god dammit. I'm looking for any hints or clues.

The guy is almost guaranteed to win the national title in CBus if he comes here, providing he doesn't die cause of over-recruiting and excessive celebrating.

Big difference between that and "I hope Bo Pelini keeps us relevant."



Fucking nailed it. UM to tOSU is rapidly becoming one of the worst kept secrets in sports.

Man wouldn't it be nice to have a coach that is not afraid to drop half a hundo on anyone dumb enough to set foot in Ohio Stadium?

There are a lot of advantages for tOSU. Being in the midwest is a GIGANTIC advantage. It is the program in the Midwest (not one of the best programs, but the PROGRAM in the midwest with Meyer). He would land any kid that he wanted that is not afraid of the depth chart.

Tressel, as boring and unhip as he was, was already cherry picking the very best in PA, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois (to a lesser extent). Give Meyer a year in Ohio and he will dominate midwest recruiting.

FYI, bucknuts basically reported today that Adolphus Washington is verballing to tOSU (his dad said, "he just really wants to be a Buckeye.") That concludes the most impressive season I can remember for an Ohio DL man. 23.5 sacks, 90 tackles and a couple of TDs (one on an INT the other as a punt returner).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:24 pm

I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another Urban's messin' around...
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Come on, tell me this doesn't make ya tingle.

Image
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:29 pm

No.... not really.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Don't think it's happening tonight.

if it was, someone would have already leaked it to a local news affiliate or would have seen the dude walking thru the airport.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6367
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Urban Meyer met with Arizona’s athletic director, Greg Byrne, in Miami early last week to discuss the Wildcats’ job, according to a person with knowledge of the meeting, but ultimately decided he was not interested. The person said that Meyer, who has expressed his desire to return to coaching, was intrigued but informed Byrne in a telephone call Monday night that he was not going to pursue the job.


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/sport ... r=1&src=tp
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6367
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Squints » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 pm

furls wrote:
-No way on Peterson, I don't think you could get him out of Boise if you backed the Brinks truck up to his house.
-There are some names out there.... Pelini, Dantonio, Stoops (doubt he would leave), Gruden (no way he gets an offer), and then of course there are the budget choices (MAC-types).
-In the end, I think it is Meyer, but if he doesn't come, then it is Pelini. I am not that excited about Pelini, but they could do worse. I just hope whoever it is, they get a real OC. I am sick of watching a team with a ton of talent squeak by against crappy Ohio University teams.



Thanks for this info. I'm not a fan of either Stoops or Pelini but Dantonio is intrigiung. In reading other posts, I was unaware of the close relationship between Urban and Bruce. Was Urbs on his staff while he was HC?
Squints
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Fairview, PA
Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:48 pm

URBAN! WHERE R U?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:00 am

Squints wrote:I was unaware of the close relationship between Urban and Bruce. Was Urbs on his staff while he was HC?


That is right...and they have stayed in touch and grown much closer over the years.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Squints » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 am

danwismar wrote:
Squints wrote:I was unaware of the close relationship between Urban and Bruce. Was Urbs on his staff while he was HC?


That is right...and they have stayed in touch and grown much closer over the years.


Then we'll nickname him "Ol' 12-0."

All the signs seem to be pointing toward this. I'll keep my enthusiasm in check and fingers crossed.
Squints
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: Fairview, PA
Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:37 am

Still not taking down the Kamp Krusty flag.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:33 am

Image
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:38 pm

furls wrote:Tressel, as boring and unhip as he was, was already cherry picking the very best in PA, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois (to a lesser extent).



Not to be argumentative, and this is not personal. It is merely reflective of reading concenses. But for a couple years I've read this n that about how awesome these OSU recruits were supposed to be when they were comitted. Frankly they kinda suck to me.

Sabino, Sweat, Kline, Berry, I could give 'em all a big fat "meh". Don't even start me on the OL. The RB's, the WR's, they all suck. Boom herron is the nbest they got, and he's a better version of "meh". Shazier impresses me as a young player, and Simon is the only legit baller on D that I see, but I digress. Purdue kicked their collective overrated 4 star asses in a game that had no business being close.

Is that all on Fickel? Is he Faust? I think not. Teddy the Wonderlizzard could coach a great collection of college talent and they don't lose 5 games against a mediocre BCS schedule.

So I now call BS on the Buckeye recruiting efforts over the past several years other than Peezy.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Urban Meyer Rumor

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

At this point, I think it's worth noting that Urban Meyer's recruits have also been getting their asses kicked for the better part of 2 years.

Also, it seems to stem from their O-line.
Sea Foam Green
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 am
Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Next

Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest