Text Size

No Holds Barred

My Next Pet

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

My Next Pet

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:51 am

Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula. They get HUGE, some have legs spans up 10 inches. I've always been fascinated by spiders. I had a Red Knee Tarantula for almost 10 years, donated it to a collector before I moved in the dorms in college.

I've done a lot of research on the spider before deciding that I'd like to own one. (the wife is actually ok with it). Looking to purchase one in the next month or so.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: My Next Pet

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:16 am

God, I hope it grows big enough to just swallow you whole one day.

We had tarantulas growing up. After you get past the oddity they didn't really provide much in terms of comanionship and you can't walk them in the Cleveland winters.

They molt a couple times a year and I always looked forward to putting their old skin in my brother's bed when that happened.

Gotta be careful with 'em too. You drop one and that big old bag bursts and kills 'em. Not that I'd have any knowledge about that.

Personally I'd rather have a snake or two but enjoy. To each his own.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 am

Wait, you pick them up? Can't thosevthings kill you?

I had a friend growing who hadvone. All I can remember about it is that I don't think I ever saw it move.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 am

Wow, Peek, i never took you for a spider guy....

I've been e-mailing a friend of a friend who works at the Columbus Zoo, and he gave me a whole care sheet. I asked him how their temperament is and he had a great line "They're kinda like people, some of them are just assholes".

The big draw for me is they're big eaters, 4-6 crickets in a single feeding, and they tend to hang out in the open. Not good companions? Fuck! I was looking to take to the spider park where it could play fetch and frolic in the grass with the other tarantulas. I'd like to get a snake, my bro has a Ball python and a Jackson's Chameleon.... the latter being hilariously ill tempered.

Spiders are cool, centipedes freak me the fuck out...
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 am

motherscratcher wrote:Wait, you pick them up? Can't thosevthings kill you?

I had a friend growing who hadvone. All I can remember about it is that I don't think I ever saw it move.

No their venom is harmless to humans, but their fangs can get up to an inch long and inflict a nasty bite. And you're also not supposed to handle them much, mainly because of what Peek said about them failing.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:49 am

Starve it for awhile and put a mouse into his lair. Hilarity and nature at it's finest enues. A friend had one when he was at UD. Would feed it regularly and every couple of months would starve it, then reward it w/ the furry little guy.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:08 am

My buddy had hedgehogs, as well as a snake, when we were in high school. Those things were pretty cool and friendly to people but they're cage reeked.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:27 am

motherscratcher wrote:Wait, you pick them up? Can't thosevthings kill you?

Less venom than a bee bite. I guess if you were allergic to one they could be an issue.

You can sit there and watch TV with one of those things just perched on your shoulder.

I'd catch and keep all kinds of snakes and shit and take them to BGSU. Had two foot long ribbon snakes living in an aquarium there. They used to eat goldfish. Similar to tarantulas, they're quick when they strike to feed. Fun to watch. But I brought the snakes home for Christmas break one year and woke up to about 40 little snakes hanging in and from the plastic trees and all over the aquarium. I had no ide snakes (some) had live births. Thought it was all eggs.

My mom came up, passed the tank, saw that and screamed a scream I can still hear. I gave the babies to a young kid down the street from us and he just let 'em all go in his basement. Never heard of any snake deaths or issues in Euclid in the early 90's so it must have gone okay.

Good times.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:31 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:Starve it for awhile and put a mouse into his lair. Hilarity and nature at it's finest enues. A friend had one when he was at UD. Would feed it regularly and every couple of months would starve it, then reward it w/ the furry little guy.

I asked about mice or "pinkies" and the dude said he highly advises not too for 3 reasons.

1) Commercially sold feeder mice are often dusted with anti flea and mite powder, which is not harmful to reptiles, but it can build up in the tarantula and end up killing it.

2) There are some studies that suggest an excess of calcium found in mice can cause molting problems, including the loss of fangs or can result in the fangs becoming brittle in between a molt.

3) Adult mice can bite, and a tarantula is very susceptible to bleeding to death since their blood lacks the ability to clot.

He told me all they need is crickets and the roaches sold as feeder food.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 am

You would get a boring ass waste of time pet like a spider.

WAR: WATCHING IT EAT CRICKETS!$!!%!

You'd be better off taking some of that Sherwin-Williams paint, slashing it on a wall and watching it dry.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:53 am

e0y2e3 wrote:You would get a boring ass waste of time pet like a spider.

WAR: WATCHING IT EAT CRICKETS!$!!%!

You'd be better off taking some of that Sherwin-Williams paint, slashing it on a wall and watching it dry.

I assume you only own exciting pets like monkeys and otters?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 am

I keep a seal behind my apartment in the Charles River. Thing goes nuts when they have that lame ass rowing race up the river at Hahvard.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

Fucking creepy man. First time I see that thing I'm going Iraqi news reporter and throwing a shoe at it...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 am

Orenthal wrote:Fucking creepy man. First time I see that thing I'm going Iraqi news reporter and throwing a shoe at it...

Mine will be trained to attack Republicans.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 am

Only good spider is one on the bottom of my shoe. Fucking bugs, man...

I still applaud Obama for smashing that insect. Oh, and Mr Miyagi.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am

Orenthal wrote:Only good spider is one on the bottom of my shoe. Fucking bugs, man...

I still applaud Obama for smashing that insect. Oh, and Mr Miyagi.

I like spiders, but Camel Spiders are a bit much. My bro has some footage he shot in Iraq of a Camel Spider (Mr. Bitey) vs a scorpion (Mr. Pinchy). Mr. Bitey won that round but was later stung full of venom by Mr. Pinchy 2.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 am

Have a guy that did 2 tours in Iraq and did some MP work in Egypt in my Masters program and he described those camel spiders. I would have used a grenade.
Orenthal

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:53 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Wow, Peek, i never took you for a spider guy....

I've been e-mailing a friend of a friend who works at the Columbus Zoo, and he gave me a whole care sheet. I asked him how their temperament is and he had a great line "They're kinda like people, some of them are just assholes".

The big draw for me is they're big eaters, 4-6 crickets in a single feeding, and they tend to hang out in the open. Not good companions? Fuck! I was looking to take to the spider park where it could play fetch and frolic in the grass with the other tarantulas. I'd like to get a snake, my bro has a Ball python and a Jackson's Chameleon.... the latter being hilariously ill tempered.

Spiders are cool, centipedes freak me the fuck out...

I'm much the same way I cannot stand centipedes, hate em, if I see one longer than 4 or 5 inches I will call the fire department.

I'm ok with everything else including spiders, except tarantulas. You put one of those near me and I swear to God Almighty I will hunt you down, tie you up, hold you hostage in my basement and torture you for 6 months before I let you leave and burn your house down.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cease » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:39 pm

This is not going to end well. Fair thee well, CDT.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby swerb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 pm

I have gotta meet CDT.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:28 pm

It'll happen at some point. I'd like to show up unannounced at a TCF tailgate. Have a few beers, maybe throw a giant fake spider at DU and watch him run off screaming into the night. Good times.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Y'all are freaks.

Friend of mine had a piranha when we were growing up...it was pretty cool...when I was 14!

Different strokes // different folks.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:56 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It'll happen at some point. I'd like to show up unannounced at a TCF tailgate. Have a few beers, maybe throw a giant fake spider at DU and watch him run off screaming into the night. Good times.

Yeah I'm sure you'd be unassuming in a large crowd

Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:27 pm

For all those who don't care for spiders, tell me this isn't a damn beautiful animal.

Cobalt Blue Tarantula, an Old World species, which means it's a more defensive spider with much more toxic venom.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 pm

Why not just walk outside and catch a wolf spider? Or better yet catch two and watch them fight.

These guys make sweet pets:
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 pm

I got her this morning. Between 2-3 years old and about a 6 inch leg span. Got her in a 10 gallon aquarium Eco Earth substrate, a nice hide and a water dish. I put a fake plant in there but she dug it up and moved it to the other side of the enclosure. She seems pretty docile but i'm trying to just leave her alone after the move. Guy gave me about 20 Dubia roaches as feeders, he said I can feed her friday if I want...... she has huge goddamn fangs.

Oh and he tried to mate her after her last molt, but she killed and ate the male.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote: Oh and he tried to mate her after her last molt, but she killed and ate the male.

I am pretty sure I dated her once in college , ask it if it ever lived in Morrell Tower at OSU.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:38 pm

When you guys get a black widow spider as your pet and feed it giant centipedes then I will be duely impressed. :clap:

Who's turn is it to clean the widow's cage this week??

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I got her this morning. Between 2-3 years old and about a 6 inch leg span. Got her in a 10 gallon aquarium Eco Earth substrate, a nice hide and a water dish. I put a fake plant in there but she dug it up and moved it to the other side of the enclosure. She seems pretty docile but i'm trying to just leave her alone after the move. Guy gave me about 20 Dubia roaches as feeders, he said I can feed her friday if I want...... she has huge goddamn fangs.

Oh and he tried to mate her after her last molt, but she killed and ate the male.

You got a little handheld video camera? Film it, upload it to You Tube and post it in here.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Yeah I was thinking of uploading a feeding video and a general tour of Fort CDT.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cease » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah I was thinking of uploading a feeding video and a general tour of Fort CDT.

"TCF Cribs" would be both the funniest and most depressing web series ever. Worse than that cancelled webisode including a poster and a bench press.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Or the short lived "Get to know series."
Last edited by Orenthal on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orenthal

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Orenthal wrote:Our the short lived "Get to know series."

That series wasn't nearly short-lived enough.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Cease wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Yeah I was thinking of uploading a feeding video and a general tour of Fort CDT.

"TCF Cribs" would be both the funniest and most depressing web series ever. Worse than that cancelled webisode including a poster and a bench press.

Good job not mentioning him by name. He has a sixth sense about these things.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:

I liked the "get to know" series. I'm in favor of anything that drives e0y crazy.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:57 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I liked the "get to know" series. I'm in favor of anything that drives e0y crazy.

When you refused to leave the boards we figured that was enough to drive e0 crazy.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 pm

"Get to know Baldy McCuntface."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:30 am

Is the spider still alive? If so, is it a good pet?

Oh yeh, if you put like about 100 fire ants in it's cage would it kill and eat them or would they kill the tarantula? What about a gecko, can it kill and eat a gecko or would the gecko kill the spider? Some gecko's get pretty large. Gecko's eat spiders but I don't know if they can eat a big spider?

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:55 am

Yes she is still alive. I think it makes a great pet, if you're into them. Most people aren't and don't understand why someone would pick an arachnid over something cute and cuddly. I'm actually picking up a Greenbottle Blue tarantula on Thursday and a Giant Brazilian Whiteknee soon. I've been told the tarantula hobby is like a drug, you get one you want more. So I plan on getting more

As for the fire ants, 100 would probably swarm and sting the spider, but i'm not sure if their venom could kill it...... nor do I ever plan on finding out. A gecko? It depends on what kind. A Tokay? Probably not. But the Lasidora Parahybana could easily make a meal of a smaller one. Even though she's not even close to full grown she could take down a sub adult mouse with limited struggle. But I won't feed her mice.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:00 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:Is the spider still alive? If so, is it a good pet?

Oh yeh, if you put like about 100 fire ants in it's cage would it kill and eat them or would they kill the tarantula? What about a gecko, can it kill and eat a gecko or would the gecko kill the spider? Some gecko's get pretty large. Gecko's eat spiders but I don't know if they can eat a big spider?

Fire ants would be a waste of time, plus they could cause harm to the owner. Just go with 1 Tarantula Hawk, it will fuck that spider up three ways till Tuesday.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:33 pm

You fucking rube. A Pepsis Wasp can harm the "owner" too, it's sting is nasty. It should be noted that no one actually owns these wasps, you would have to the southwest US and capture a live one and bring it back.

But since you suck, i'm betting the wasp would escape sting your face while driving causing you to run off the road and into the Grand Canyon.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 pm

See how nervous ^ gets at the thought of a Tarantula Hawk in Ohio.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Yes.

Very nervous of your fictional plan to bring a non-native species of wasp across the country for the sole purpose of killing my tarantula.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Kill this new blue one first.
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 pm

he has a Dodge Dart for fuck's sake.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:51 pm

The blue one is cool, I'd hate to see that one die.

"When a man with a Tarantula Hawk meets a man with a Tarantula, the man with the Tarantula leaves."

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 pm

FUDU wrote:The blue one is cool, I'd hate to see that one die.

"When a man with a Tarantula Hawk meets a man with a Tarantula, the man with the Tarantula leaves without a tarantula."

Fixed.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Yeah but I was giving the man with the Tarantula credit for being smart enough to just leave, but your way works just as well.

FUDU

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:he has a Dodge Dart for fuck's sake.

This ^^^^^^

Mite be fast but, its one of the ugliest fucking cars/things ever built....downright Edsel-ish
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby olecowboy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 pm

I think that the theory is that if you can get the Dart built up enough, it'll go by so fast that no one will notice how ugly it is. . .

just a guess. . .
olecowboy

Favorite Player: Alexander Pope
Least Favorite Player: Lane Adkins

Next

Return to No Holds Barred