Text Size

College Sports Arena

Gottlieb's take from minutes ago on Meyer, OSU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Gottlieb's take from minutes ago on Meyer, OSU

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:25 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:You guys are all nuts. No one knows the status of the Penn State football program. This is 100% uncharted waters.

There may not even be a program at worst. At best you have the state and feds and civil attorneys deposing the whole support system. You have recruits fmilies sking questions you never thought you'd have to answer.

I still don't think the light bulb has fully gone off here.

Now in 12 - 24 months? may well be a different story. This off season? Meyer? NFW.

tOSU should be wrapped up in a month or so. Yu know waht you are dealing with, take it or leave it.

Uncertainlty is the worst enemy.

More than likely, yes.

I just think that a system and society where this can so easily happen is broken enough to move on relatively quickly in the aftermath.

The issue that gives me pause is that there's simply no telling, with all the entities involved, how long these investigations will take. And the more I think about it, THAT's what will keep people like Meyer away until it's done.

Hypothetically though, if the investigations ended tomorrow and the sentences and penalties were handed down, I just don't have enough faith in the vast majority of society to believe there would be any long term hangover.

I understand that's my cynicism and opinion coming out. But when I look around, that's what I see.

Oh, I don't have single dount that PSU football won't be back to a better status than it is now eventully. It is one of 10 or so legit legacy programs in the nation. It has resources matched by few programs. To try to not acknowledge those factors is BS. Any other year, any other circusmatnce, and it'd be a plumb job.

And sadly, I'm not even talking about the stench, stigma and embrassment keeping the Meyers away.

I'm simply talking about the uncertainties and the distractions. No control-frek coach wants anywhere near that.

lastly, the Catholic Church just paid out a cool $ 100 MILLION in Florida yesterday. That is = 10% of PSU's endowment more or less. While they have immense wealth, the civil suits are going to put a crimp on th budget, and I'm not looking for the Commonwealth to come running in defense.

Compared to all that, the goofey out of control boosters in C-bus are gnats.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:29 pm

More like 1/15, but regardless, not an insignificant number.

I think probably as much as 25-30% of PSU's endowment could be at risk, depending on how deep the rabbit hole goes.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:31 pm

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:Paterno was the recruiting tool which made Penn State , he was bigger than the university.SoulDawg

And the recruiting coordinator is Mike McQueary.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-foo ... ike00.html

http://twitpic.com/7ch1tc

For extra laughs

SD:

Whats funny is how two supposedly smart posters could be so ignorantly obtuse .

The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

Take your time boys I got all day if you need it to figure it out .

SoulDawg

Easy big man. There's no doubt King Joe was the man in every single facet of not only football life but on the campus. I'm not disputing that for a second.

I'm saying McQueary's name is mud and his name is on the recruiting letters. That's a double dose of poison and an ironic twist that not even the dumbest linebacking recruit wouldn't chuckle at.

SD:

That's all I;m saying Peeks , the stationary could have read JoPa U because Penn sate and Joe were one in the same .

Which makes Joe's plausible deniabilty alibi of how he kicked it up to the AD so fuckin laughable .

Nothin went on at that place unless he approved .

The Fuckin president worked for the football program not the other way around.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:39 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:Paterno was the recruiting tool which made Penn State , he was bigger than the university.SoulDawg

And the recruiting coordinator is Mike McQueary.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-foo ... ike00.html

http://twitpic.com/7ch1tc

For extra laughs

SD:

Whats funny is how two supposedly smart posters could be so ignorantly obtuse .

The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

Take your time boys I got all day if you need it to figure it out .

SoulDawg

Easy big man. There's no doubt King Joe was the man in every single facet of not only football life but on the campus. I'm not disputing that for a second.

I'm saying McQueary's name is mud and his name is on the recruiting letters. That's a double dose of poison and an ironic twist that not even the dumbest linebacking recruit wouldn't chuckle at.

SD:

That's all I;m saying Peeks , the stationary could have read JoPa U because Penn sate and Joe were one in the same .

Which makes Joe's plausible deniabilty alibi of how he kicked it up to the AD so fuckin laughable .

Nothin went on at that place unless he approved .

The Fuckin president worked for the football program not the other way around.

SoulDawg

Amen. Agree 100%. Just thought it was funny that recruits not only know exactly what you said but also see the cowardly fucking QB's name prominently displayed on their recruiting letters that talk about PSU being scandal free.

The old man (and therefore the institution itself) pretty much condoned it. The cowardly QB walked in and literally ignored it. How's that for two scoops of shit.

And again, fuck anyone arguing how JoePa's years of molding and shaping men should speak more loudly than this error or lapse when one of those men he molded and shaped is Mike McQueary.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:49 pm

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

SoulDawg

By the way, in terms of 'riots', I've seen more people pissed off at a Browns draft party (and with better reason) than what went down in State College Wednesday night.

Like I said, that was pathetic. In both cause and effect. Where were all those freshman and sophomore girls running to? Were they upset that there were potential defensive scheme changes coming.

College kids are dumber than dirt.

Keep in mind no one but athletes / protected admits are on that camnpus with less than an A - average in the college prep core and an ACT composite of about a 26 to 28. In other words, top 15th - 20th percentile of all test takers.

IMO these aren't dumb kids. They are impressionable kids that have been taught to be dumb.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:02 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

SoulDawg

By the way, in terms of 'riots', I've seen more people pissed off at a Browns draft party (and with better reason) than what went down in State College Wednesday night.

Like I said, that was pathetic. In both cause and effect. Where were all those freshman and sophomore girls running to? Were they upset that there were potential defensive scheme changes coming.

College kids are dumber than dirt.

Keep in mind no one but athletes / protected admits are on that camnpus with less than an A - average in the college prep core and an ACT composite of about a 26 to 28. In other words, top 15th - 20th percentile of all test takers.

IMO these aren't dumb kids. They are impressionable kids that have been taught to be dumb.

Friend of mine in high school used to mow his parents' lawn with an electric lawn mower. One day he lifted it up to trim a couple low hanging tree branches and severed the cord, but not before hitting a nest of birds that chased him back into his garage.

At age 23 he go his masters in mechanical engineering from Purdue.

I'm saying there are some really dumb smart kids out there in terms of common sense and street smarts and that whoever put 'nothing draws a crowd like a crowd' was dead-nuts on.

You know I'm actually referring to perspective and experience when I say 'dumb', right ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:03 pm

I think Peeks just gave JB an internet hug.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I think Peeks just gave JB an internet hug.

Does it make me a bad person if I think the PSU thing was worth it to get JB back to the table?

It's all about me, right?

ETA ( so when I run for office this isn't brought back at me) :hide: :nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:10 pm

We never thought you were a good person.

And it's always fairly safe in this college football board. Like the Cavs board was once upon a time when I first came here.

The others will take hold and people will run, just you wait.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:We never thought you were a good person.

Does it make me a worse person?

And it's always fairly safe in this college football board. Like the Cavs board was once upon a time when I first came here.

Dead is safe, Lee. There's nearly nothing in there to enrage anyone. Mostly because there's nothing in there at all.

The others will take hold and people will run, just you wait.

Probably, but I sure have enjoyed the discussions on this topic and the spin off topics with people who actually care about what they bring to the conversation. I don't agree with all of it, but in an era of dying message boards this topic has had some solid talks.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Best in ages.

I'm just being a dick.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go reread Rick Bucher's last tweet ten more times and contemplate how I am going to take out the NBA ownership group.

ETA: AND YOU SO DID GIVE JB AN INTERNET HUG
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:ETA: AND YOU SO DID GIVE JB AN INTERNET HUG

I may have. I'd also give him a Christmas Ale or three if I could :cheers:

Especially after I put his PSU article up at 5pm.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Urban all but said the same a few days ago, in ways which he has refused to when asked about the OSU job.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena