Text Size

College Sports Arena

Gottlieb's take from minutes ago on Meyer, OSU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Gottlieb's take from minutes ago on Meyer, OSU

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:52 pm

ramzyn Ramzy Nasrallah
Doug Gottlieb, ESPN: "Urban Meyer's dream job is Penn State. They do things right, until this story. Ohio State's a cesspool." #STAYONTARGET

Ramzy's counterpunch

ramzyn Ramzy Nasrallah
Reminder: Doug Gottlieb was kicked out of Notre Dame for credit card theft - from his roommates. He is sanctimonious human garbage.
7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Gottlieb's take from minutes ago on Meyer, OSU

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Just heard that...couldn't believe my ears.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Actually what he said made a lot of sense, especially not taken out of context.

Sure "Cesspool" might have been strong, but his point was pretty clear - that it's awful tough to control all that flows around OSU, the size of the city and campus - and the enormous pressure. It's not too hard to see there are some things he would have an easier time dealing with in Happy Valley.

And I'm not sure what credit card theft has to do with anything. A guy who robs banks can't have an opinion?

Now, this situation is unprecedented, so who knows what lies ahead for the successor and, that might be a debate worth entertaining. But going ape shit about a comment that in context was pretty logical....not so much.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Yes, following the most winningest CFB coach of all time is no pressure at all.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:00 pm

leadpipe wrote:Actually what he said made a lot of sense, especially not taken out of context.

Sure "Cesspool" might have been strong, but his point was pretty clear - that it's awful tough to control all that flows around OSU, the size of the city and campus - and the enormous pressure. It's not too hard to see there are some things he would have an easier time dealing with in Happy Valley.

And I'm not sure what credit card theft has to do with anything. A guy who robs banks can't have an opinion?

Now, this situation is unprecedented, so who knows what lies ahead for the successor and, that might be a debate worth entertaining. But going ape shit about a comment that in context was pretty logical....not so much.

This has been exactly the argument re: PSU over OSU from more level headed PSU fans.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:06 pm

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=7 ... 13,3728298

Yeah guys sounds like he really hates Ohio State.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:17 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:Yes, following the most winningest CFB coach of all time is no pressure at all.

Again, perhaps you should've listened to the whole take, cause if you did, and that's what you got out of it......
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Triple-S wrote:http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=799&dat=20061206&id=s45aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1EkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7113,3728298

Are you in the correct thread?

Cause Gottlieb, nor anyone in this thread suggested Meyer disliked OSU.

Never even insinuated.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:23 pm

leadpipe wrote:
Triple-S wrote:http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=799&dat=20061206&id=s45aAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1EkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7113,3728298

Never even insinuated.

Probably am reading into it wrong.

It seems to me that he's placing words within Meyer's mouth about the situation.

my sincerest apologies.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Triple-S wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

Never even insinuated.

Probably am reading into it wrong.

It seems to me that he's placing words within Meyer's mouth about the situation.

my sincerest apologies.

Not a big deal - and you could say he is speaking for Meyer. All the segment involved was Gottlieb thinking that Meyer might prefer PSU over OSU for reasons I've mentioned above and a few more. Nothing more, nothing less. Again, what's the big deal.

Or we can cherry pick "OSU"S A CESSPOOL" out of it, and go ballistic over.....NOTHING.

And before someone chimes in, yeah, Gottlieb, me, or anyone else hasn't any idea if Meyer would consider PSU after THIS. Guy was just bringing up a few points.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I didn't hear the context, and FTR I usually like Gottlieb's takes. An unfortunate symptom of a 140 character limit is a lack of context. The CC comment clearly doesn't have anything to do with it, just a cheap shot for a cheap shot.

As for his other points, taken as you laid them out, those would make quite a bit of sense were it not for the maelstrom rolling through PA right now. And any take which gently sets that to the side to discuss all the qualities except that HUGE FUCKING PROBLEM they have right now, is, well, not worth much. As is any talk about OSU without mentioning the FOM charge hanging over its head.
JCoz

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I listened to the whole take. The crux of his argument was that UM would prefer PSU over OSU because PSU was a less pressure packed situation. Anyone that thinks that coaching at PSU in 2012 is less pressure packed than OSU in 2012 needs his head examined.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm

JCoz wrote:An unfortunate symptom of a 140 character limit is a lack of context.

Happens here all the time too, regardless of number of characters. Can't hear tone, see expressions, etc.

As we both know. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 pm

And just for the record, despite Lead's hard work pulling the pot shot out of Dougs take...

Included in what he said, today mind you, was that OSU=cesspool: a filthy, evil, or corrupt place or state and PSU = place where they do things right. 'cept for that one thing.

You can argue that he's right about OSU, but I'm quite sure Lead that you aren't exactly backing the second part. Not today and not before last week either.
Last edited by JCoz on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 pm

JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I listened to the whole take. The crux of his argument was that UM would prefer PSU over OSU because PSU was a less pressure packed situation. Anyone that thinks that coaching at PSU in 2012 is less pressure packed than OSU in 2012 needs his head examined.

Yeah, coaching at PSU in 2012 would be more pressure packed. Except that, again, the specific topic of 2012. was never broached.

Which is to mt whole point - the guy was just throwing some reasons out there as to why PSU might be more attractive. That's friggin' it. Big deal.

And JCoz, I tried to ward off your last point with my post above - of course it makes no sense to speak of PSU without considering this once in a lifetime catastrophe - he wasn't getting that specific.

Ehh. Whatever. Clearly to anyone listening to the whole take, it certainly wasn't about OSU being some sewer that Meyer would never consider over Heaven in Happy Valley as a 17 word blip (plus the glimpse at his criminal history) at the top of this thread would infer.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:32 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:An unfortunate symptom of a 140 character limit is a lack of context.

Happens here all the time too, regardless of number of characters. Can't hear tone, see expressions, etc.

As we both know. ;-) ;) :wink:

Touche
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 pm

leadpipe wrote:
JacksonDysonJackson wrote:I listened to the whole take. The crux of his argument was that UM would prefer PSU over OSU because PSU was a less pressure packed situation. Anyone that thinks that coaching at PSU in 2012 is less pressure packed than OSU in 2012 needs his head examined.

Yeah, coaching at PSU in 2012 would be more pressure packed. Except that, again, the specific topic of 2012. was never broached.

Which is to mt whole point - the guy was just throwing some reasons out there as to why PSU might be more attractive. That's friggin' it. Big deal.

And JCoz, I tried to ward off your last point with my post above - of course it makes no sense to speak of PSU without considering this once in a lifetime catastrophe - he wasn't getting that specific.

Ehh. Whatever. Clearly to anyone listening to the whole take, it certainly wasn't about OSU being some sewer that Meyer would never consider over Heaven in Happy Valley as a 17 word blip (plus the glimpse at his criminal history) at the top of this thread would infer.

That's all well and good Lead, but bottom line is that talking about that today and ignoring the 800-gorilla in the room doesn't make a lick of sense.

We dont live in a vacuum. Like talking about how much you prefer the Mercedes over the Ferrari when you're homeless.
JCoz

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:35 pm

JCoz wrote:And just for the record, despite Lead's hard work pulling the pot shot out of Dougs take...

Included in what he said, today mind you, was that OSU=cesspool: a filthy, evil, or corrupt place or state and PSU = place where they do things right. 'cept for that one thing.

You argue that he's right about OSU, but I'm quite sure Lead that you aren't exactly backing the second part. Not today and not before last week either.

I ain't pulling shit. Just taking it for what it was worth.

I LISTENED to it, I understood the CONTEXT, and as an OSU fan I wasn't the least bit offended.

You wanna go ape shit about it and F-him to the high heavens, have at it. Par for the course.

Christ on a pony.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:40 pm

JCoz wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

That's all well and good Lead, but bottom line is that talking about that today and ignoring the 800-gorilla in the room doesn't make a lick of sense.

We dont live in a vacuum. Like talking about how much you prefer the Mercedes over the Ferrari when you're homeless.

Well, there you go, not only can you get upset because the guy was seemingly "trashing OSU," you can also get bent because the take wasn't topical enough.

So, you have two reasons to get upset over nothing, or again, you could read into it what it was worth (for the tenth time) - a few reasons PSU might be preferrable in his eyes.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 pm

You can come down with JCoz in that he shouldn't have used the word "cesspool". Or you can come down with LP in that it's no big deal and much ado about nothing.

But one thing is indisputable AFAIC...

"Gottlieb" is s stupid name.

Gottlieb

Say it again...Gottlieb.

It's fuckin' stupid.

Gottlieb

what a chump.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 pm

leadpipe wrote:
Well, there you go, not only can you get upset because the guy was seemingly "trashing OSU," you can also get bent because the take wasn't topical enough.

So, you have two reasons to get upset over nothing, or again, you could read into it what it was worth (for the tenth time) - a few reasons PSU might be preferrable in his eyes.

Dude, I have no anger towards Doug and I dont have to take personal injury to something to poke a few holes.

I get it, you listened to it, you told me what you heard, and I understand it.

But PSU is currently in the market for a new HC. Ohio State is likely in the market for a new HC. Urban Meyer is not currently employed as a HC.

So in my opinion, making some talking points right now about Urban Meyer and comparing the cons of OSU to the pros of Happy Valley is not without inference. This wasn't a random discussion about the best jobs in CFB.

No, calling OSU a cesspool is not a big deal, after posting that, I got in my car and listened to the rest of his show, like I do everyday that I'm driving home during that time. When I posted it, what I was really pointing out was the compare/contrast given the current state of affairs at PSU. Not, "he called OSU a toilet, grrr".
JCoz

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 pm

I listened to the whole thing too and it was my sincere understanding that he was talking about present day when comparing PSU vs OSU. Maybe I missed something, but I don't see the point of discussing the past or far away future when in reference to Meyer. It was just an idiotic take that annoyed me...not gonna get worked up over Doug Gottlieb.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:47 am

motherscratcher wrote:But one thing is indisputable AFAIC...

"Gottlieb" is s stupid name.

Gottlieb

Say it again...Gottlieb.

It's fuckin' stupid.

Gottlieb

what a chump.

That's this guy, right?

hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:58 am

IMO, Paterno never became easier to follow than he is right now. Once the emotion from his firing is out of the equation, you are now stepping in after the guy that allowed child rape to continue rather than the coach with more wins than anyone else in the history of college football. Who also happens to be considered one of the greatest people/fundraiser/donor in the history of college athletics.

As long as the 2A doesn't strip them of massive scholies and bans them from competition or bowls the job is the job. A historic program. In a prestigious conference. In a state with very good high school talent. With little pressure.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:16 am

pup wrote:IMO, Paterno never became easier to follow than he is right now. Once the emotion from his firing is out of the equation, you are now stepping in after the guy that allowed child rape to continue rather than the coach with more wins than anyone else in the history of college football. Who also happens to be considered one of the greatest people/fundraiser/donor in the history of college athletics.

As long as the 2A doesn't strip them of massive scholies and bans them from competition or bowls the job is the job. A historic program. In a prestigious conference. In a state with very good high school talent. With little pressure.

Could be low pressure, big stink. When is the next time PSU will be mentioned without also mentioning child molestation/rape scandal? I don't know, could be a while though.

And the prospects of a state university with 100's of millions of dollars in liabilty hanging over it's head tripling the $'s spent on football coaches? Eh, don't know. Might be bad PR but hey, they still need a money maker right?

If Meyer considered PSU the better destination, I wonder why he never had a clause for PSU in his contracts before? I mean, there is much speculation on his opinions, but that is written evidence that shouldn't be totally cast aside. Course, that was years ago, and opinions can/do change but the situation in OSU really hasn't.

But maybe all the B10 stink makes Both places less paletable in general, and he wants part of none of it.

Either way PSU and OSU will have new HCing contracts in a few short months, so if it isn't now, it isn't likely Meyer coaches for either.
JCoz

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:23 am

I don't know Pup. I agree that, in a vacuum, following Paterno carries less pressure to win now, but looking at the totality of the situation, I have no idea how a "name" coach would want to go there for several years.

This is going to get worse. PSU will be in the headlines (along with their legendary coach) for years. Who knows what else is going to come out...we're not even a week out since the story broke. The stain of anyone affiliated with PSU, even those who come after this scandal, will be hard to remove. Its going to take a decade, at least. Even if the NCAA doesnt take scholarships away, recruiting is going to be a nightmare. Kids are going to transfer out starting this offseason. Again, no one will want their name tied to PSU for a long time.

It will be an ugly, ugly situation.

For a guy like Meyer, who can coach anywhere he wants, why in the world would he want to deal with all that comes from the PSU job?
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:31 am

pup wrote:IMO, Paterno never became easier to follow than he is right now. Once the emotion from his firing is out of the equation, you are now stepping in after the guy that allowed child rape to continue rather than the coach with more wins than anyone else in the history of college football. Who also happens to be considered one of the greatest people/fundraiser/donor in the history of college athletics.

I said this 9 pages ago in the Sandusky thread and still agree with you. We give too much credit to people to care about this for that long.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 am

JCoz wrote:

Could be low pressure, big stink. When is the next time PSU will be mentioned without also mentioning child molestation/rape scandal? I don't know, could be a while though.
Until they win a lot.
And the prospects of a state university with 100's of millions of dollars in liabilty hanging over it's head tripling the $'s spent on football coaches? Eh, don't know. Might be bad PR but hey, they still need a money maker right?
Gotta spend $ to make $.
If Meyer considered PSU the better destination, I wonder why he never had a clause for PSU in his contracts before? I mean, there is much speculation on his opinions, but that is written evidence that shouldn't be totally cast aside. Course, that was years ago, and opinions can/do change but the situation in OSU really hasn't.
I am talking about the job, nobody specific. I have no clue if Urban wants PSU or tOSU or just to wait for Brian Kelly to fail and get ND. What I do think is this is not that bad of a time to take the PSU gig, for whoever gets it.
But maybe all the B10 stink makes Both places less paletable in general, and he wants part of none of it.

Either way PSU and OSU will have new HCing contracts in a few short months, so if it isn't now, it isn't likely Meyer coaches for either.
Would not shock me to see Luke get one more year and allow Urban to get that itch going full steam again.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:44 am

Pup, I think your take is right but varies on the level of coach. I'm not sure that a Meyer is affected as much by the lowering of pressure as much as, say, an Al Golden.

In my completely speculative opinion, Marquee coaches like a Meyer or Saban I think are not factoring in the pressure as much. I dont think a Saban or Meyer turns down an opportunity because the fans will expect too much.
JCoz

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 pm

JCoz wrote:Pup, I think your take is right but varies on the level of coach. I'm not sure that a Meyer is affected as much by the lowering of pressure as much as, say, an Al Golden.

In my completely speculative opinion, Marquee coaches like a Meyer or Saban I think are not factoring in the pressure as much. I dont think a Saban or Meyer turns down an opportunity because the fans will expect too much.

SD:

Sans Paterno , Penn state is Nebraska without Tom Osborne ..

Top flight coaches aren't flocking to be the top hick in the sticks , their babee doll wives
ain't having it .

Penn state is now irrelevant , if not for the East coast bias in the press and some nebulous home cooking at Penn State in big games ,over the last 20 years they're no more worth mentioning than Iowa State .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:11 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
JCoz wrote:Pup, I think your take is right but varies on the level of coach. I'm not sure that a Meyer is affected as much by the lowering of pressure as much as, say, an Al Golden.

SD:

Top flight coaches aren't flocking to be the top hick in the sticks , their babee doll wives
ain't having it .

Penn state is now irrelevant , if not for the East coast bias in the press and some nebulous home cooking at Penn State in big games ,over the last 20 years they're no more worth mentioning than Iowa State .

SoulDawg

So silly.

Nebraska had 8 high school kids sign LOI this year.
Iowa had 9.

Pennsylvania had 60.

That, if nothing else, makes that gig relevant.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1182411

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Agreed pup, SD that sounds like a regurgitated version of Coweherds take from earlier today, which is pretty bogus.

It IS however worth noting that while PA is certainly no NEB or Iowa, they arent Ohio by a long shot either when it comes to D 1 prospects.
JCoz

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Ohio, PA, MD, VA, NJ and NY are all top flight areas for recruiting and are within a decent drive to state college.

Triple-S

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:38 pm

JCoz wrote:Agreed pup, SD that sounds like a regurgitated version of Coweherds take from earlier today, which is pretty bogus.

It IS however worth noting that while PA is certainly no NEB or Iowa, they arent Ohio by a long shot either when it comes to D 1 prospects.

Man, you sure do love you Ohio football.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 pm

JCoz wrote:Agreed pup, SD that sounds like a regurgitated version of Coweherds take from earlier today, which is pretty bogus.

SD:

Their top linebacker prospect already walked .

Paterno was the recruiting tool which made Penn State , he was bigger than the university .

No way Urbie or any other top guy goes there following that mess of lawsuits which will hang over them for a decade.

They will be Perv State with trials and tribulations over the next three years minimum.

Once Joe Pa's enabling role is revealed , how can the NCAA not slap them upside the head for lack of institutional control ..

A child molesting rapist covered up and working on their staff and
using university facilities .

Can't wait for the wiggling pootin and mouth farting that comes out of those developments.

SoulDawg
Last edited by SoulDawg74 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulDawg74

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:45 pm

pup wrote:

Man, you sure do love you Ohio football.

Jeez, just commenting on the article you linked....

140+ to 60 is notable, particularly when being the only big dog in town is even more pronounced in OH than PA.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:45 pm

You guys are all nuts. No one knows the status of the Penn State football program. This is 100% uncharted waters.

There may not even be a program at worst. At best you have the state and feds and civil attorneys deposing the whole support system. You have recruits fmilies sking questions you never thought you'd have to answer.

I still don't think the light bulb has fully gone off here.

Now in 12 - 24 months? may well be a different story. This off season? Meyer? NFW.

tOSU should be wrapped up in a month or so. Yu know waht you are dealing with, take it or leave it.

Uncertainlty is the worst enemy.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:53 pm

Triple-S wrote:Ohio, PA, MD, VA, NJ and NY are all top flight areas for recruiting and are within a decent drive to state college.

SD:

Nothing comes out of all those other States combined in the form of top recruits to even Rival PA 9 four star recruits let alone Ohio's 18 .

and last I checked the exodus is heading out of State not in .

State College is an island , there is no civilization around that joint for 100 miles.

While Columbus can hold its own and Cincy and Cleveland are but a short car hop away.

Its why players like T Peezy won't be the first or the last to spurn that joint who are Pa natives.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:54 pm

I will probably sound stupid, but if I'm a guy like Meyer, I steer way clear of PSU, even if for the sheer fact that I don't want to walk into that "haunted" facility every day, glance at the showers, and know what happened there.

I don't want to move there for the same reason I don't want to move into a house whose previous tenants were a dude went crazy and murdered his entire family and then killed himself (which happened in my neighborhood growing up, and that house stood empty a long damn time). How do you walk around knowing all the shit that went down and just never think about it? Fuck that - there are other houses just as nice where I don't have to worry about it.

Same thing for Meyer. There are other jobs, jobs where it's not like you're walking onto the set of Twin Peaks.
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:55 pm

jb wrote:You guys are all nuts. No one knows the status of the Penn State football program. This is 100% uncharted waters.

There may not even be a program at worst. At best you have the state and feds and civil attorneys deposing the whole support system. You have recruits fmilies sking questions you never thought you'd have to answer.

I still don't think the light bulb has fully gone off here.

Now in 12 - 24 months? may well be a different story. This off season? Meyer? NFW.

tOSU should be wrapped up in a month or so. Yu know waht you are dealing with, take it or leave it.

Uncertainlty is the worst enemy.

More than likely, yes.

I just think that a system and society where this can so easily happen is broken enough to move on relatively quickly in the aftermath.

The issue that gives me pause is that there's simply no telling, with all the entities involved, how long these investigations will take. And the more I think about it, THAT's what will keep people like Meyer away until it's done.

Hypothetically though, if the investigations ended tomorrow and the sentences and penalties were handed down, I just don't have enough faith in the vast majority of society to believe there would be any long term hangover.

I understand that's my cynicism and opinion coming out. But when I look around, that's what I see.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:57 pm

I'll leave those statements to you JB. I Cant even point to hard data without being called a massive homer.I have to tiptoe around the obvious because if I actually make a statement it must be unfettered biased bullshit.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:57 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:Paterno was the recruiting tool which made Penn State , he was bigger than the university.SoulDawg

And the recruiting coordinator is Mike McQueary.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-foo ... ike00.html

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:59 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Ohio, PA, MD, VA, NJ and NY are all top flight areas for recruiting and are within a decent drive to state college.

SD:

Nothing comes out of all those other States combined in the form of top recruits to even Rival PA 9 four star recruits let alone Ohio's 18 .

State College is an island , there is no civilization around that joint for 100 miles.

While Columbus can hold its own and Cincy and Cleveland are but a short car hop away.

Its why players like T Peezy won't be the first or the last to spurn that joint who are Pa natives.

SoulDawg

Not that I dont agree with a couple things there, but Cinci ain't exactly OSU's playground when it comes to recruiting.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:Paterno was the recruiting tool which made Penn State , he was bigger than the university.SoulDawg

http://twitpic.com/7ch1tc

For extra laughs
JCoz

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:04 pm

pup wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

ain't having it .

SoulDawg

So silly.

Nebraska had 8 high school kids sign LOI this year.
Iowa had 9.

Pennsylvania had 60.

That, if nothing else, makes that gig relevant.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1182411

SD:

Whats silly is how you can equate anything that happened last year with today's current events and not factor in there will be a distinct changing of the guard .

Penn state university could well cease to be a factor in football at all after you sort thru the ashes...just sayin.

With Paterno gone and their reputation in ruins and about to get even more mud slung there way , you are witness to a changing of the guard .

Not saying a coach couldn't take a team of Rudy's and compete , but I am saying that's what it will take , because nobody with a big name will touch that place with a ten foot pole.

Rumors of Urban Meyer or the pope himself coming in on a white Horse as the white night
are inbred fantasy concocted by a State of Hicks in full denial.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

For extra laughs

SD:

Whats funny is how two supposedly smart posters could be so ignorantly obtuse .

The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

Take your time boys I got all day if you need it to figure it out .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Right now, that gig is the Titanic. The more people notice the water rising, the quicker they'll be scrambling for the lifeboats.

That doesn't mean a few won't gladly go down with the ship. But that's not the kind of situation an Urban Meyer walks into.
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:18 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

For extra laughs

SD:

Whats funny is how two supposedly smart posters could be so ignorantly obtuse .

The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

Take your time boys I got all day if you need it to figure it out .

SoulDawg

Easy big man. There's no doubt King Joe was the man in every single facet of not only football life but on the campus. I'm not disputing that for a second.

I'm saying McQueary's name is mud and his name is on the recruiting letters. That's a double dose of poison and an ironic twist that not even the dumbest linebacking recruit wouldn't chuckle at.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:23 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:The Penn sate riots were over Mac Q's firing or narly old Joe Paterno the figurehead which is Penn State.

SoulDawg

By the way, in terms of 'riots', I've seen more people pissed off at a Browns draft party (and with better reason) than what went down in State College Wednesday night.

Like I said, that was pathetic. In both cause and effect. Where were all those freshman and sophomore girls running to? Were they upset that there were potential defensive scheme changes coming.

College kids are dumber than dirt.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm

JCoz wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Not that I dont agree with a couple things there, but Cinci ain't exactly OSU's playground when it comes to recruiting.

SD:

I'm talking road trip J Coz , there is much fun and distraction in Columbus Cincy and Cleveland , Sate Penn Unhappy valley , not so much .

Now as a parent you want your kid to go to a place like that or at least you did before molestergate , but as a kid who wants to be a star the bright lights of civilization beat the lantern on the porch and riding your bike to produce electricity on the generator so your smuggled beer can stay cold.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Next

Return to College Sports Arena