Text Size

College Sports Arena

UCF's Notice of Allegations

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

UCF's Notice of Allegations

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Saw this tweet pop up a min ago:

BryanDFischer Bryan Fischer
It gets lost in the Penn State news but the UCF's Notice of Allegations is among the worst in NCAA history.

So I looked it up, and while I dont have the perspective to agree/disagree with the above comment, I am actually a little surprised at how soft this hits me while reading it in the wake of what's going on at PSU....despite what looks like a notice worse than some recent scadals (setting aside MIA because that was mostly in the past), it strikes me as decidedly.......meh:

http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/polopoly_fs/7.27880!/0995_001.pdf

But, setting aside PSU because its of a criminal nature, can anyone remember this many programs getting into this kind of NCAA trouble inside 8-9 months? Boise,GT,LSU,OSU,MIA,North Carolina, and now UCF? I may be forgetting some.

Again, really a discussion for another day, but wanted to post it for a later date.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: UCF's Notice of Allegations

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Yeah, UCF slipped this out last night and Oregon slipped out more info on the Lyles scandel.

They know how to hide stuff.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Oregon. Knew I was forgetting someone.

Yah I'm noting just how effective this strategy is, intentional or not.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Like I said in the Sandusky thread, part of the problem is exactly what you mentioned about this not hitting as hard because of everything else.

Moderately dirty programs are almost okay because of the Miami and PSU stories.

It pushes the envelope and threatens to make every program a joke that's not already.

Once you're willing to forgive minor infractions I think you up the antes.

The NCAA is in a bad way and is about to be exposed as the eunuch it actually is. Maybe not today or tomorrow, bt it's coming. They can neither administrate, monitor or penalize consistently and effectively and they are fast becoming a joke. It's russian roullette for the 120 FBS schools. Odds of getting caught before your wins justify the cost are slim. Then you pay some subjective price and start out to climb the mountain again.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Peek I dont really feel that PSU belongs in with that. Its a horrifying and desensitizing event, but not in a small NCAA violations sense, in a very general or broad news sense. To me you might as well be talking about Columbine or VT.

I dont care to debate it much Peek, and I'm not telling you that you are wrong about what you feel, I'm just saying that isnt at all what I'm feeling. Speaking in terms of NCAA rule violators, in the past there have been far worse cases involving athlete and benifits and agents (which encompases the schools in trouble with the NCAA that were mentioned) such as Oklahoma, Michigan and SMU and Bama. Those guys upped the player benifit ante a long time ago. So I'm not seeing an upping of the ante on account of Penn State and 2nd Mile.

I'm just feeling desensitized, has nothing to do with the NCAA, its "this is drowning out any other current event". PSU is so loud I cant hear anything else. It certainly didn't (and doesn't) have to be CFB related news to be drowned out and seem insignificant in the face of the PSU story.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:20 pm

FOOL!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:21 pm

JCoz wrote:Peek I dont really feel that PSU belongs in with that. Its a horrifying and desensitizing event, but not in a small NCAA violations sense, in a very general or broad news sense. To me you might as well be talking about Columbine or VT.

I dont care to debate it much Peek, and I'm not telling you that you are wrong about what you feel, I'm just saying that isnt at all what I'm feeling. Speaking in terms of NCAA rule violators, in the past there have been far worse cases involving athlete and benifits and agents (which encompases the schools in trouble with the NCAA that were mentioned) such as Oklahoma, Michigan and SMU and Bama. Those guys upped the player benifit ante a long time ago. So I'm not seeing an upping of the ante on account of Penn State and 2nd Mile.

I'm just feeling desensitized, has nothing to do with the NCAA, its "this is drowning out any other current event". PSU is so loud I cant hear anything else. It certainly didn't (and doesn't) have to be CFB related news to be drowned out and seem insignificant in the face of the PSU story.

I hear ya, but remove the PSU clusterfuck.

Miami raised the bar. Huge. 8 years of whores and abortions and cash and weed and whatever. President griining while accepting check from the pimp/fixer/drug broker.

Huge.

That's desensitizing (which is a great word for it). It made OSU look petty (if OSU's shit wasn't already). That's my point.

The line of demarcation between meaningful and petty is always moving. Miami moved it again. And regardless of whether it's apples-to-oranges, you can bet that no scandal of any substance or scope will ever NOT be compared to this fuck-fest in Happy Valley. The media (aka Lead Desensitizing Agent) will make sure of it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Finger on the pulse as always McPeek.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Here is the sad state of the NCAA:

-Miami is setting records for all time corruption. Story broken by... Yahoo! Sports.
-tOSU: Tatts for Trinkets. Story broken by... FBI.
-tOSU: Tressel Cover Up. Story broken by... Yahoo! Sports.
-tOSU: Bobby D booster handouts. Story Broken by... Terrelle Pryor (WTF?).
USC: Reggie Bush takes pay cut to enter the NFL. Story Broken by... Yahoo! Sports.
Oregon: Willie Lyles gets paid 25K to deliver Lache Seastrunk (who later transfers out of UofO). Yahoo Sports.
UNC: Assistant Coach delivers players to an agent. Story broken by... players on Facebook and FBI.

Yet there is nothing to the hundreds of rumors out there re: SEC football (Julio Jones 25K in suits, Trent Richardson 50K ride, Cam Newton played NCAA ball for free?, etc.). No, the difference here is that these schools do not self report and do not fully cooperate with the NCAA investigators (they give them only what they ask for that they cannot destroy) and the NCAA has to cooperate with them, because in the end the NCAA does not have subpoena power, cannot actually enforce its own rules and is really at the mercy of the schools to play nice. If they choose to tell the NCAA to go fuck itself (see Alabama) then the NCAA has no choice but to swing by the local dildo shop, get a great big old piece of latex, take a seat in the corner and fuck itself.

The NCAA has no actually investigative power and is now totally reliant on the media and government to make its cases. One day, the schools that do play ball with the NCAA and self report will see that there is no benefit to being forthright (matter of fact, that is the only way you get caught) and they will follow the SEC lead and stop. We need to train our boosters and players to STFU.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:05 pm

As for PSU....

This is an NCAA problem, even though it is criminal. It further underscores the enormous power that Boosters and coaches have locally in college towns to shut things down, power that indirectly comes from the NCAA. You cannot divorce a PSU football scandal from the NCAA, while it may not be a rules violation, it is still a serious matter.

I am not rooting for PSU to get sanctioned by the NCAA, but the fact that a coach and his buddies were able (and willing) to bury a child sex ring just shows how far out of control things are over there. If this does not demonstrate a lack of institutional control by the university then I am not sure what does. Again, I am not saying they should lose schollies or whatever, just pointing to the duplicitous, self serving nature of the institution.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to College Sports Arena