Text Size

College Sports Arena

Sandusky

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I don't know Peeks, something tells me no one is going to want this PSU job.

I see a Brady Hoke type hire, no bigger name.

What established person would agree to clean up this insanity?

Yet there are rumors in MIA that Golden is talking to PSU and rumors on PSU boards that Meyer has recently purchased property in PA.

High Comedy.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Who knows where this thing goes, so many ugly questions with possibly uglier answers...most already stated...

How many victims are there really since '77?
Why didn't the DA prosecute in '98? Where did the DA dissappear to in 05 (probably totally unrelated but still...)?
What exactly did the GA tell Joe pa and he to the upper Admin?
What did Sandusky have on the admin that made them bury this AND allow unfettered access though 2009?
Did the GA get promoted through merit or otherwise?

Totally FUBAR.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:35 pm

I guess students were out on the lawn chanting Paternos name in support of him...

what the fuck?

This is NOT Tattoo gate w/The Vest.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Triple-S

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Triple-S wrote:http://gregg-doyel.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/33197750

un-fucking-real.

On one hand, I can understand wanting to play on for the guys on the team, its not like they're involved in this mess. (As far as we know.) On the other, this is going to get out of hand and out of hand fast. Has someone woken up Jim Delaney?

Meanwhile, the potential victim list is now up to 20.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 pm

I cannot see this thru the eyes of any of the 1,000 or so students. I just can't.

I can't see how what Paterno did is defensible.

That footage and the students sicken me and imagine being one of the boys that JoePa says "the students should pray for"...

My God.

This is like Watergate only with actual victims.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:56 pm

SO many articles and conversations about this today. Can't remember if it was noted here (didn't see it but I'm effing dead tired at Nashville airport) that Sandusky still had his emeritus status at PSU as late as last week.

Nice.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Triple-S wrote:I guess students were out on the lawn chanting Paternos name in support of him...

what the fuck?

This is NOT Tattoo gate w/The Vest.

Again, not even close to intimating the crimes were the same, but it's the same misguided fan bois with different allegiances at both Tressel's and Paterno's lawn.

Neither deserved that 'support' IMO.

You can argue all you want but people can't see past the logos on their heads when shit like this happens. It's the same mentality there as it was in Columbus.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:SO many articles and conversations about this today. Can't remember if it was noted here (didn't see it but I'm effing dead tired at Nashville airport) that Sandusky still had his emeritus status at PSU as late as last week.

Nice.

Reports saying he was on fuckin campus LAST WEEK.

JoePa lying about what he actually said in the grand jury.

The GA suddenly becoming a Asst. coach and Sandusky allowed to ride off in the sunset when he retired.

And Jay Paterno to have a twitter account and even the gall to try and get out in front of this.

Jesus.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:04 pm

noles1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:SO many articles and conversations about this today. Can't remember if it was noted here (didn't see it but I'm effing dead tired at Nashville airport) that Sandusky still had his emeritus status at PSU as late as last week.

Nice.

Reports saying he was on fuckin campus LAST WEEK.

JoePa lying about what he actually said in the grand jury.

The GA suddenly becoming a Asst. coach and Sandusky allowed to ride off in the sunset when he retired.

And Jay Paterno to have a twitter account and even the gall to try and get out in front of this.

Jesus.

Little Paterno is defending his old man. I understand that. If he defends the institution (and believe me, I understand they're damn near indistinguishable) then I'll have problems with Jay-pa.

Incidentally, the CMA awards are here in Nashville tomorrow night. This airport is damn near McCarran-like in both volume and quality. I love this city.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:11 pm

I heard in light of the PSU allegations motherscratcher has gotten rid of all his sock puppets, candy and stag films and cloroxed his entire dental office.

This shit is affecting so many.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:I heard in light of the PSU allegations motherscratcher has gotten rid of all his sock puppets, candy and stag films and cloroxed his entire dental office.

This shit is affecting so many.

Little known fact: most dental offices have chloroform.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:39 pm

I just read the grand jury report.

Christ on a cracker. That guy should find the nearest rope and weight bearing support beam and do himself, his family and humanity a favor.

Paraphrasing PSU Admin response- "Jerry, take those kids somewhere else. Give me your goddamn keys and don't bring 10 yr olds into the showers on school grounds."

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Can we rehire Tressel yet?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:46 pm

You know, and something seriously needs to be done about the way college athletics are set up.

it's just like every last one of these scandals are coming off as some bizarre twisted version of the movie "Blue Chips", each thing more shocking and unbelievable as the next.

Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Triple-S wrote:You know, and something seriously needs to be done about the way college athletics are set up.

it's just like every last one of these scandals are coming off as some bizarre twisted version of the movie "Blue Chips", each thing more shocking and unbelievable as the next.

This Penn State story is unbelievable. Everything else (OSU, Miami, Jeramy Stevens) I can easily believe all day long.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:54 pm

This story made me think of something Josh Wilker wrote on Cardboard Gods a few years back.

http://cardboardgods.net/2008/07/03/the-coachs-son/
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 pm

peeker643 wrote:This Penn State story is unbelievable. Everything else (OSU, Miami, Jeramy Stevens) I can easily believe all day long.

Would I have been shocked if it came to light that a booster from PSU got caught doing the same exact thing as the aforementioned?
nope.

This is just awful though. There's no defending this in any sort of the way. none. The NCAA and the Big Ten need to step in. Christ can you imagine if PSU was the Big Ten's "Leaders" division champion and playing for the right to go to the Rose Bowl? I mean, I doubt they'll win against the huskers and bucks..but...dear god.

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 pm

[quote="Triple-S]This is just awful though. There's no defending this in any sort of the way. none. The NCAA and the Big Ten need to step in. [/quote]

There's a difference between defending it and not being shocked by nearly anything that happens in college sports though.

I'm not defending the PSU story and I'm not defending a Miami booster going 8 yrs deep into debt hiring hookers and buting abortions for access to players.

I'm just not shocked by the Miami story.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 pm

I agree with Peeker in that you pretty much expect these other type of scandals as we move forward, you never expect crimes against humanity from places of higher learning & thinking.

FUDU

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm

I guess we all want answers sooner than they're available....but I wonder why more attention hasn't been paid (yet) to the 1998 incident...the decision not to prosecute...and the now dead (suicide?) DA who was involved in the case (as linked earlier by JB).

Total speculation, but it's easy to imagine DA found out about 2002 incident(s) and was wracked with guilt about not stopping Sandusky 4 years earlier.

If I recall what I read earlier, the University Police did investigate in '98. What was JoPa's role in that case?...surely he knew about it. If you read the grand jury pdf you know that the janitor who was the eye-witness is elderly now and has dementia and is in a home, and is an "unreliable witness"...but you'd think records are extant of the investigation, whatever it turned out to be.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:13 pm

danwismar wrote:I guess we all want answers sooner than they're available....but I wonder why more attention hasn't been paid (yet) to the 1998 incident...the decision not to prosecute...and the now dead (suicide?) DA who was involved in the case (as linked earlier by JB).

Total speculation, but it's easy to imagine DA found out about 2002 incident(s) and was wracked with guilt about not stopping Sandusky 4 years earlier.

If I recall what I read earlier, the University Police did investigate in '98. What was JoPa's role in that case?...surely he knew about it. If you read the grand jury pdf you know that the janitor who was the eye-witness is elderly now and has dementia and is in a home, and is an "unreliable witness"...but you'd think records are extant of the investigation, whatever it turned out to be.

Interesting part of that grand jury pdf was even Sandusky's wife tried calling one of the victims prior to him appearing. I mean, shit. I don't even know what else to say. Who didn't know this piece of shit was banging little boys?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Triple-S wrote:You know, and something seriously needs to be done about the way college athletics are set up.

I was just about to post something to this effect.

Pulling away from PSU specifically, I tend to think this sort of scandal couldn't happen in professional sports. I tend to think this is because very little compares to the power and influence of a major college program in its community. And part of what makes this story so disturbing to me is that, considering that level of power, is something like this really that unbelievable?

I don't know how you go about changing what needs changing, though. Culturally, we're not going to just up and start caring less about sports. Almost regardless of the costs--financially, morally, etc. I don't even want to imagine what that tipping point would have to look like.

What if you took money out of the equation? Rather than going down the road of paying the athletes, go in the complete opposite direction and make college sports non-profit for everyone. Revenues that exceed operating costs go to local charity or something. I fully understand that this will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen--but even if it could, would that be enough? How much less of a God is Joe Paterno in State College, PA if he isn't making any money for the school? (Not much of a difference, I'd guess.)
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:46 pm

I can't see how the university plays games for the next 3 weeks, and possibly 4.

If PSU wins 2 of 3 they are guaranteed to the B1G title game which means win or lose they are in a major bowl. How the hell can you go on for another month with JoePa on staff, overseeing the transition? What a circus. Of course the BOT might just decide no Bowl game this for just such a reason, but at this point I would not be shocked if they forfeited.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 pm

More on DA Ray Gricar in the NYT

http://nyti.ms/ruLsMz
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Wow, this student rally outside Paterno's house is alarming.

This is going to get ugly for PSU if they don't dump EVERYONE involved. Public backlash is going to so wicked (and rightfully) that it will leave irrevocable damage to the university and program.

Paterno's defiance on this is going to FOREVER taint his legacy if he goes out with this "me vs. the establishment" (hypocritical in the fact he's now hiding behind that same establishment)
noles1

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:06 am

drewmagary Drew Magary
That chant on the lawn is JoePa's Bronco chase.

Is this up there for the biggest sports scandal now? Maybe not oj-like, but how does this rank up there.

Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:21 am

Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:31 am

dan_bernstein Dan Bernstein

FYI: names are being x-checked w/Sandusky's Second Mile, and there are other older adult men with "curious" relationships. Only the start.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 am

I just heard that Paternoster will be retiring after the season. At least that's the plan right now.

I doubt that plannholds up. I still think the pressure will be so much that he is out before that.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:20 pm

noles1 wrote:I cannot see this thru the eyes of any of the 1,000 or so students. I just can't.

Sociologically we are entering Nurenberg territory. Seriously. No hyperbole.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 pm

peeker643 wrote:Little Paterno

Clearly you have yet to see Scott Paterno on TV.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:25 pm

danwismar wrote:More on DA Ray Gricar in the NYT

Dan - here's what I don't get.

What do all DA's live for and crave?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 pm

jb wrote:

I have. I was trying to refrain from piling on. The camera adds ten pounds, dude. There were a lot of cameras.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Not nearly enough. http://bit.ly/ryZazW

To let the guy call his shot and remain through the end of the season would be an abomination in my opinion.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:Not nearly enough. http://bit.ly/ryZazW

To let the guy call his shot and remain through the end of the season would be an abomination in my opinion.

I actually rarely do this, but I took some time and emailed this to Gov Crobett and the Senate & Houe leadership after I heard about the Board now, too, passing the buck. FWIW.

----------------------------------------------------
I will keep this brief.

I am not a citizen of the Commonwealth at this time, but I was for several years. I trust you have some familiarity with the situation at Penn State and the abject failure of leadership on all levels, now apparently including the Board.

As it stands today, the best the Board can do is debate, discuss, dither and appoint a committee to study the matter. How very collegial of them. As it stands today, Joe Paterno will be celebrated as he leads young men onto the field on international television in front of about 100,000 sycophants who are neither able to maintain any perspective nor appreciate what it means to be a man.

I respectfully ask you to step up and do something no one seems able to do at the Pennsylvania State University, a public entity, and take personal responsibility as a righteous man; legalities and technicalities be damned. I respectfully ask that you please do something so that we are not humiliated by this image on Saturday and that you hold those responsible for the cover up of these heinous acts to a threshold that will allow you to look people in the eyes. The “we” I refer to is not that of the Pennsylvania State University Community, or the citizenry of the Commonwealth, or even as Americans. By “we” I mean decent human beings, fathers, and men who understand what it still means to hold our duty in sacred trust. This is bigger than football, politics, or poll results.

For these young boys violated, for God’s sake, be a man and do something that dignifies them and begins to restore their humanity.

Sincere thanks for your consideration.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Paterno is only devastated that it got out. The time to be devastated was 1998, or 2002 or any of other perfectly good times he covered up for him.

Is this the biggest fall from grace in sports history? Tiger just effed up his and his family's life.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 pm

jb wrote:

I actually rarely do this, but I took some time and emailed this to Gov Crobett and the Senate & Houe leadership after I heard about the Board now, too, passing the buck. FWIW.

----------------------------------------------------
I will keep this brief.

I am not a citizen of the Commonwealth at this time, but I was for several years. I trust you have some familiarity with the situation at Penn State and the abject failure of leadership on all levels, now apparently including the Board.

As it stands today, the best the Board can do is debate, discuss, dither and appoint a committee to study the matter. How very collegial of them. As it stands today, Joe Paterno will be celebrated as he leads young men onto the field on international television in front of about 100,000 sycophants who are neither able to maintain any perspective nor appreciate what it means to be a man.

I respectfully ask you to step up and do something no one seems able to do at the Pennsylvania State University, a public entity, and take personal responsibility as a righteous man; legalities and technicalities be damned. I respectfully ask that you please do something so that we are not humiliated by this image on Saturday and that you hold those responsible for the cover up of these heinous acts to a threshold that will allow you to look people in the eyes. The “we” I refer to is not that of the Pennsylvania State University Community, or the citizenry of the Commonwealth, or even as Americans. By “we” I mean decent human beings, fathers, and men who understand what it still means to hold our duty in sacred trust. This is bigger than football, politics, or poll results.

For these young boys violated, for God’s sake, be a man and do something that dignifies them and begins to restore their humanity.

Sincere thanks for your consideration.

Your PR people write that for you? I have seen your work... doesnt look similar.

Seriously though, solid letter.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:41 pm

The comments in that are mind blowing.

All is forgiven Joe we can all Move on now. This is Very Respectful way to go. Your Words almost made me choke up and cry. I can tell they were from the heart. Your image is restored again and no one disagrees with this Statement from you below

I am just sick and tired of this. All of you ethics professors who claim to be the moral police need to look themselves in the mirror. I see people ALL OF THE TIME witness things that they could have prevent and for whatever reason do not. How many of you have driven by an injury accident and not stopped to help. I understand it is apples to oranges and I am not saying that Joe was right or wrong. What I am saying is MOST OF YOU WHO CLAIM TO CARE ABOUT THE VICTIMS REALLY DO NOT!!! This is just your opportunity to knock someone off of their pedestal which somehow makes you feel relevant.

Who are you to judge another mans moral character?? I agree you should just keep your damn mouth shut!!
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:41 pm

jb wrote:

Dude looks like the real-life Penguin. All he needs to do is tape some fingers together and throw on a goofy ass penguin tux.
noles1

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Ben_Jones88 Ben Jones
The Westboro Baptist Church will be protesting before PSU's game against Nebraska.
28 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

jesus christ..

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Ziner wrote:Your PR people write that for you? I have seen your work... doesnt look similar.

Found this thing recently. Called "spell check" or something.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm

There are some people in State College that need to click the gut check icon.

FUDU

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Look, and Hoodoo brought it up earlier.

College Sports, for a lack of a better word is fucked up, and is in dire need of a change.

These people in charge, the AD's, President's and Coaches are often looking out for their own needs and those of the university often over what is morally right.

I often time hear some sports journalist chortle at the matter and claim the government has bigger things to do. you know what? How many student athletes are there out there? How many schools out there receiving state and federal funds are fielding athletic teams? Enough is enough. The system is failing, and it's time something is done. And anything short of a student-athlete strike is not going to change it on it's own.

You know what I would almost do if I were Nebraska or any other Big Ten team and wanting to make a point? refuse to play this game. Until JoePa was gone, and things were on the right path, I'd refuse to play this. They won't because of the money, but, to make that sort of point would speak volumes.

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Great letter, JB.

Like I intimated earlier, part of the problem is people like me who have apparently been ground down enough and seen such things too often (though nowhere near to this extent) that those comments from supporters just don't shock or surprise me anymore. I actually expect that shit.

Forget the degree of the offense for just a minute. The people that show up at Tressel's house or Paterno's house and sing their support are a big part of the problem. Maybe the biggest. Both of them were simply wrong for what they did.

It's one thing to defend/criticize a guy for his call or formation on 3rd and 2. It's an entirely different and vulgar reaction to defend men who were clearly wrong in their actions off the field.

And it gets worse from here. This, in my opinion, clears room at the inn. Other infractions or violations can never be seen in the same in the same light after this PSU mess. People will take the tact that, "Yeah, giving that kid cash and cars was wrong, but no little boys were molested." It pushes the envelope and loosens the belt a couple more notches and it widens our opinions on what may be acceptable.

Now we're arguing degrees of aberrant behavior. Paterno's worse than Tressel who's worse than Bowden who's better than Randy Shannon...etc., or vice versa. There are degrees of accountability and, depending on your rooting interest, they are assessed and compared.

To argue that 'one lapse in judgment' shouldn't negate all the good a man has done over time, to me, is bullshit. It sure as hell does. THIS does, for God's sake. Collectively I think we bear some of the responsibility for our willingness to overlook relatively innocuous infractions and continue to support these people and teams and sports.

I guess I just wonder where this all ends. To even think this was possible a week ago was crazy and now I'm wondering if it will one day be surpassed in it's scope and vile nature. And before I can even say, "That's impossible" I ask myself if this PSU thing was even in the realm of possibility two weeks ago when I was there for the Illinois game.

It's almost incomprehensible and yet at the same time I can't say I'm completely shocked. Disgusted and sick? Yes. Shocked? Not quite.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:49 pm

jb

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:04 pm

jb wrote:
danwismar wrote:More on DA Ray Gricar in the NYT

Dan - here's what I don't get.

What do all DA's live for and crave?

Not sure what you're getting at here, JB, but...

To reel in a "big fish"?

To stand up for "the rule of law" regardless of political pressures or other influences?

Great letter, by the way. You are so right that this transcends sports, politics and legalities. I think we are all sickened when we see exposed examples like this of the very worst of humanity...pure undiluted evil...because we are confronted with the fact that each of us has in him the capacity for evil...the "devils" you spoke of upthread.

I'm headed to West Lafayette this weekend because Purdue surprised me with a press credential last week. I can't even tell you how ambivalent I am about going to cover a college football game....any college football game...in the wake of this situation. I can scarcely imagine going to State College and pretending that the story is what's going on on the field.

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

noles1 wrote:Wow, this student rally outside Paterno's house is alarming.

"The most fundamental problem facing colleges and universities throughout America today is the challenge of developing character, conscience, citizenship, tolerance and social responsibility in a society that sometimes gives the impression that such virtues are optional."

- Graham Spanier
jb

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena