Text Size

College Sports Arena

Sandusky

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Ziner wrote:
Triple-S wrote:If I were Penn State I'd seriously debate cancelling the season at this point.


Nice call, that will teach all those players who were having soap fights in the showers with children.


I feel bad for the players, but how do you even play with this going on in the background?

Its not there fault obviously, but would you want to take the field under these circumstances?


Yeah sure, I'd play. The players did nothing wrong, let them play. The adults in the room are the people who fucked things up.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Triple-S wrote:If I were Penn State I'd seriously debate cancelling the season at this point.


I think something should be done that represents an appropriate level of shame for PSU. Short of canceling the football program altogether, I don't know what that is, though.

Firing Paterno yesterday--rather than allowing him to resign--would have been a good start. Publicly condemning his (alleged) behavior is called for as well. Anything less, IMO, is offensively tame.


Well and even as a nittany lion fan, how could you even attend this weekends game and not feel the dark cloud of shame above the university and the program atm.

If I was a PSU student/alum/fan I'd be desperately trying to see if theres anything that we as fans can do to help the victims out in any sort of means neccessary, after the dust settles of course.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6363
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:
danwismar wrote:of course LP is being facetious... JP couldn't have been so old or senile not to know what this was...and how unspeakably criminal it was

sorry, but reporting it to your AD is not enough. This was child rape, with at least one very credible eye-witness. Paterno knew about it, and if after several weeks...months...years?...and nothing was ever done about Sandusky, it was criminal for anyone who knew not to blow the whistle on him. How could they have given him locker room/facility access after what had been witnessed previously?


In regards to Paterno (or anyone outside of the victims and eye witnesses) and him going to say LE I think people are forgetting something: in situations like this unless you are A) the victim B) an eye witness to the despicable act or C) the parents of the victim...going to the police is as close to moot as it gets b/c the police are not obligated to act upon that type of report from somebody that is not an A B or C. It sounds kind of fucked up but that is how it works the vast vast majority of the time. Sure trying doesn't hurt, and you'd think most would, but contacting the parents is probably the best thing. However like JB already said misguided...errr fucked up loyalty and morals got in the way in this instance.


McQueary walked in on that 4 years after police had investigated another incident. You go to the police when you witness a rape, dude. No question about it.

20 yr old girl with him in the shower and maybe (MAYBE)there's pause for cause. Who knows what's consensual and guess context is everything. 10 yr old boy being anally raped/penetrated by a 60yr old man? Are you fucking kidding me Donny?


Right, that is exactly what I said.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Paul Meyers at Pre Snap Read said it best,

They need to burn down the football offices and the university presidents office, rebuild them on the other side of the campus and try to reinvent the team.

Change the name, colors, uniforms, etc.

Read that Grantland piece I linked. Go talk to Ryan Jones on Twitter....

The alumni cannot even stand to think about football right now, let alone view the university in any light outside of shame and disgust. I can't even imagine how sick the players have to be.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

My fault. I thought you were generalizing. I'd still disagree that Paterno shouldn't have done. Fuck, he could have done it anonymously if he lacked the balls.

And by the way, Paterno may have fucked OSU as well when all is said and done. Urban Meyer has always held that job in high regard and it was going to be a house cleaning when he got in anyway.

His price just went up, if nothing else.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:35 pm

You’re the greatest FUDU.

No need to go to the cops because they don’t have to listen!!!

You are literally the asshole of society.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't know Peeks, something tells me no one is going to want this PSU job.

I see a Brady Hoke type hire, no bigger name.

What established person would agree to clean up this insanity?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

Triple-S wrote:Well and even as a nittany lion fan, how could you even attend this weekends game and not feel the dark cloud of shame above the university and the program atm.

If I was a PSU student/alum/fan I'd be desperately trying to see if theres anything that we as fans can do to help the victims out in any sort of means neccessary, after the dust settles of course.


Please. The fans don't care other than how they are now perceived as a fan base and whether they can win the division/will recruiting take a hit. The players give less of a shit about what's (to them) ancient history.

And the victims don't give a shit about any of it now that decades have passed and their lives and relationships from that day forward were ripped from them.

They just don't. Life blows...pass the beer nuts.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Paul Meyers at Pre Snap Read said it best,

They need to burn down the football offices and the university presidents office, rebuild them on the other side of the campus and try to reinvent the team.

Change the name, colors, uniforms, etc.

Read that Grantland piece I linked. Go talk to Ryan Jones on Twitter....

The alumni cannot even stand to think about football right now, let alone view the university in any light outside of shame and disgust. I can't even imagine how sick the players have to be.


Great post.

I struggle to see PSU recover from this in the short term. The healing will be long and pretty painful.

And the school itself should be tracking down every single person this freak did this to and pay them. It won't heal what happened to them, but at least it's something that could be done.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6363
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 pm

I disagree Peeks.

Alumni are parents and when your school ran a multi-level cover up for a rapist shit like that will effect you.

The Miami alumni don't care.

The PSU alumni just had their realities destroyed.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I see a Brady Hoke type hire, no bigger name.

What established person would agree to clean up this insanity?


Supposedly Greg Schiano was supposed to be on a radio show this morning. When his request of no Penn State talk was declined, Schiano backed out of the interview.

Could be coincidence, could be someone who will be a strong candidate for the job not wanting to say the wrong thing.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Scott Paterno just said his dad is not stepping down and will coach this weekend, also that they will "fight this to the end"
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I don't know Peeks, something tells me no one is going to want this PSU job.

I see a Brady Hoke type hire, no bigger name.

What established person would agree to clean up this insanity?


It's disgusting and deplorable for sure. Guy on white horse rides, tells him he loves them and their tradition and, while he can never take away the scar, he'll give them years of dermabrasion to make it look okay.

This is the DREAM scenario. Legacy program, acknowledge ugly and vile mistake, clean house, win football games.

Hero.

Mark it down, the stink is with the outgoing pedophiles and enablers. I don't see much other than the 'camelot' thing taking a permanent hit getting in the way of winning. They ain't losing scollies or bowl games IMO.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I disagree Peeks.

Alumni are parents and when your school ran a multi-level cover up for a rapist shit like that will effect you.

The Miami alumni don't care.

The PSU alumni just had their realities destroyed.


Maybe you're right. I'd keep in mind that their realities were destroyed in 1998 though. At the latest. That shit was NEVER reality. Alum and fans just got a long overdue wake up call.

Clealry it wasn't camelot when 10-yr olds are getting buggered by creepy fucking old men.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:45 pm

Schollies and Ball Games mean a lot less than a disgusted alumni base and a national stench.

I just don't think this will be cleanable for a couple of years. Going to need some time for the rotting stench to wear off.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Schollies and Ball Games mean a lot less than a disgusted alumni base and a national stench.

I just don't think this will be cleanable for a couple of years. Going to need some time for the rotting stench to wear off.


I get ya, just don't agree. I actually think this is easier situation for a coach to come in and clean up w/o losing games than the OSU deal was.

A slick mofo like Meyer or Saban would be fine. Flourish even.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm

My Prediction:

Camelot/Happy Valley/Ignorant Idyllic Citizens- Devastated
Football Program- Better off and healthier starting in February.

That may be as detached and hard as anything but I believe that's how it goes down.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Yeah, I'll just agree to disagree.

OSU is going to lose a handful or schollies or some other stupid shit like that.

PSU is taking a shot to their soul.

Either way, http://theclassical.org/post/1251929670 ... -is-rotten The Classical is running their preview this week. That's Roth on this mess.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:56 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I disagree Peeks.

Alumni are parents and when your school ran a multi-level cover up for a rapist shit like that will effect you.

The Miami alumni don't care.

The PSU alumni just had their realities destroyed.


I'd like to think that any school's alumni would be deeply embarrassed by a connection to a university that's guilty of what PSU is guilty of. The Miami stuff is so far from comparing to this, I don't think it's right to assume they'd react otherwise.

If it was my school, I'd be writing letters calling for the university to cancel the football program, because clearly they can't handle having one.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Had the chance to run out to lunch and catch Matt Millen (wing day at BW) . Not only is he a former captain and all time great, but he's on the BoD for 2nd Mile. The man is absolutely distraught to the point of being perklempt on set. I thought he was going to smash it all up while crying. Powerful stuff and not fake at all. Essentially, he's channeling Arrington but up a notch. You know, forget penn state, forget football, what about man's humanity to man? Really let down by Sandusky but not questioning the victims or minimalizing like some PSU fans were up until todays feeding frenzy seems to have steamrolled them. So with that said, I agree with him.

But, uh, when will it be not-too-soon to say that the Urban Meyer succession rumors to Happy valley are DOA ? I know today is not that day, but i was just wondering as the termially shitty human being I am about that...
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Scott Paterno just said his dad is not stepping down and will coach this weekend, also that they will "fight this to the end"


Pretty much guarantees a firing presser by 5pm today.

Can you even IMAGINE if that man went up before open mikes on this real-time?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I don't know Peeks, something tells me no one is going to want this PSU job.

I see a Brady Hoke type hire, no bigger name.

What established person would agree to clean up this insanity?


It's disgusting and deplorable for sure. Guy on white horse rides, tells him he loves them and their tradition and, while he can never take away the scar, he'll give them years of dermabrasion to make it look okay.

This is the DREAM scenario. Legacy program, acknowledge ugly and vile mistake, clean house, win football games.

Hero.

Mark it down, the stink is with the outgoing pedophiles and enablers. I don't see much other than the 'camelot' thing taking a permanent hit getting in the way of winning. They ain't losing scollies or bowl games IMO.



I can't see it Peeker. This thing is too evil. Too smelly. Not even Carman Policy could spin it. I expect a credible call to cancel the season next year. I expect no network TV. This is unique. It does guarantee that there will be no internal succession.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I see a Brady Hoke type hire, no bigger name.



Who is the only winner in this.

You have Penn State's program going 3 Mile island. You have uncertainty in C-bus. Chubsy is in the cat bird seat as far as the midwest. maybe ND. Maybe the kids go ACC.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah, I'll just agree to disagree.

OSU is going to lose a handful or schollies or some other stupid shit like that.

PSU is taking a shot to their soul.

Either way, http://theclassical.org/post/1251929670 ... -is-rotten The Classical is running their preview this week. That's Roth on this mess.


Absolutely, and "taking a shot" might even be too kind. I'm a huge college sports honk but if I went to PSU, I don't think I could ever give them another dime even after a total housecleaning. This is so unprecedented, I don't see how any big name coach goes near it. Lee's Brady Hoke comparison also may have been too kind. My Michigan bias aside, Hoke was at least an up and comer who had coveted the job for years and that some other BCS schools had also looked at. This has to be the worst situation since Marshall's plane crash in 1970. OSU's minor scholarship reductions are nothing in comparison.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
User avatar
Kingpin74
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 pm
Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah I just saw the replay from Millen crying on $port$Center. The guy seems legit.

I think canceling the season is a smart move. It's in very bad taste to play a game while this septic tank of shame is still being dug through.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:My fault. I thought you were generalizing. I'd still disagree that Paterno shouldn't have done. Fuck, he could have done it anonymously if he lacked the balls.

And by the way, Paterno may have fucked OSU as well when all is said and done. Urban Meyer has always held that job in high regard and it was going to be a house cleaning when he got in anyway.

His price just went up, if nothing else.

No biggie.

IMO a JoPa can probably do such in private with one of the higher ups in the local LE and get somebody to look into something. It works that way for other big shots in society so I would guess he too has that kind of pull. My point was in general it isn't even remotely close as to that simple though.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Agree with eO and JB on this. The Penn State job is radioactive, and will be for a while.

It will be interesting to see the attendance at this week's game, let alone the emotional state of the players.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:54 pm

That's why they should cancel the games. For the school to play the games like nothing is wrong is...... hideous. The crimes are so revolting people might need to take a step back and process what has and is going on.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 pm

I think they can continue the games if everyone involved or suspected of involvement is gone. It's a bad situation but I can't see how you hold it against the kids playing there now, that are a win or two away from going to the 1st B10CG.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:02 pm

jb wrote:Had the chance to run out to lunch and catch Matt Millen (wing day at BW) . Not only is he a former captain and all time great, but he's on the BoD for 2nd Mile. The man is absolutely distraught to the point of being perklempt on set. I thought he was going to smash it all up while crying. Powerful stuff and not fake at all. Essentially, he's channeling Arrington but up a notch. You know, forget penn state, forget football, what about man's humanity to man? Really let down by Sandusky but not questioning the victims or minimalizing like some PSU fans were up until todays feeding frenzy seems to have steamrolled them. So with that said, I agree with him.

But, uh, when will it be not-too-soon to say that the Urban Meyer succession rumors to Happy valley are DOA ? I know today is not that day, but i was just wondering as the termially shitty human being I am about that...


One of the guys I converse about hoops with (SLAM's former editor) is a huge PSU guy. Still emotionally married to the place.

Said he teared up three times this weekend. Once when his kid rode on his bike for the first time, the other two, well... they weren't as positive.

When I initially asked him his feelings on it guy couldn't even get anything out beyond "nothing I can say publicly"
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:03 pm

danwismar wrote:let alone the emotional state of the players.


I remember playing the week of 9/11 and how fucked that was.

Probably going to be very similar for them.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:24 pm

End game.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/After-46-years-the-Joe-Paterno-era-ends-8216-?urn=ncaaf-wp9466

AFAIC it will be a cowardly act if Paterno is allowed to finish the season.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:One of the guys I converse about hoops with (SLAM's former editor) is a huge PSU guy. Still emotionally married to the place.

Said he teared up three times this weekend. Once when his kid rode on his bike for the first time, the other two, well... they weren't as positive.

When I initially asked him his feelings on it guy couldn't even get anything out beyond "nothing I can say publicly"



He's a big cycling fan?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:That's why they should cancel the games. For the school to play the games like nothing is wrong is...... hideous. The crimes are so revolting people might need to take a step back and process what has and is going on.



I partially agree. Also don't believe in punishing the innocent.

But if they let Paterno lead the team out on the field, or McQuery on the sidelines, they are morally bankrupt.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 pm

jb wrote:End game.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/After-46-years-the-Joe-Paterno-era-ends-8216-?urn=ncaaf-wp9466

AFAIC it will be a cowardly act if Paterno is allowed to finish the season.


Let him coach this weekend and get his ass kicked by the Huskers, even though it is more the wrong thing to do than the right thing.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 pm

danwismar wrote:Agree with eO and JB on this. The Penn State job is radioactive, and will be for a while.

It will be interesting to see the attendance at this week's game, let alone the emotional state of the players.


Christ. I must be emotionally dead.

But...

I am certain college athletics is morally bankrupt and emotionally dead so I'm still saying what I said earlier.

It's not minimizing what happened y'all. You know that. It's really more of a reflection of just what little faith I have in that humanity of humanity thing JB referenced earlier.

Shame is different than sorrow/remorse. Happy Ending Valley feels shame today. Not really sure if anyone is actually sorry or remorseful.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:31 pm

The strangest aspect of all of this is the the PSU alumni that thought they could land Urban thought that the clean nature of the program would be their biggest selling point, as allegedly Urban hated the dirty aspect of the SEC.

Now they're the dirtiest program ever.

Really makes those 4K email discussion on OSU v. PSU I've had since the Urban interest leaked pointless.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I really wish that effing piece at The Classical would load, becaues I didn't make it all the way through....

This preview of theirs has been less than ideal.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Not just in football terms, but this University is in so much legal and liable trouble that if this were my school, I would absolutely have a hard time ever associating with them again. Regardless of whether you fire the AD, President, the whole staff...it would not matter one bit to me. To sit on sexual abuse of a minor on a large University institution, every assault that happened afterwards is a massive ticking cash timebomb when they get sued. And that's before the cops start digging and likely figure out why Sandusky, the heir apparent to JoePa, all of a sudden hung it in the late 90s. You can't tell me these "allegations" didn't play into this.

I can't think of a worse thing that could happen to my University program than this right here. PSU knew about an investigation as far back as April yet this deviant was still visiting the campus!? This U is screwed and deserve to be...and this is from someone who has long admired the program.
boilerdaveb
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm
Location: Grove City OH
Favorite Player: Melvin Levett
Least Favorite Player: The Big Ticket

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:
danwismar wrote:Agree with eO and JB on this. The Penn State job is radioactive, and will be for a while.

It will be interesting to see the attendance at this week's game, let alone the emotional state of the players.


Christ. I must be emotionally dead.

But...

I am certain college athletics is morally bankrupt and emotionally dead so I'm still saying what I said earlier.

It's not minimizing what happened y'all. You know that. It's really more of a reflection of just what little faith I have in that humanity of humanity thing JB referenced earlier.

Shame is different than sorrow/remorse. Happy Ending Valley feels shame today. Not really sure if anyone is actually sorry or remorseful.



Peeker - I can meet you close enough to say that the half-life of the radioactivity will be shorter than we might imagine. Money does that. And to be fair, it is a great University and this is but one monster and a few of his butt buddies circling the wagons. But they will take a hit. Recruit tweets are already starting. For thet reason alone, the transition will be so chaotic it'll make Michigan's that netted DickRod look like Schellenbereger to Jimmuh.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:34 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I really wish that effing piece at The Classical would load, becaues I didn't make it all the way through....

This preview of theirs has been less than ideal.



I trid to locate that site but all that came up was a few nobodies begging for start up money.

Link?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:41 pm

http://www.chatsports.com/penn-state-nittany-lions/a/Source-Paterno-to-step-down-from-Penn-State-on-Thursday-10-137-26

"Paterno will be offered a generous retirement package from the school in exchange for agreeing to never discuss the situation regarding Sandusky with anyone other than the authorities. As it stands now, Penn State President Spanier will hold a press conference on Thursday to announce the decision of Paterno to ‘step down’ effective immediately. We are told that Paterno will not attend the press conference at request of the school."
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 pm

^Really disgusting.

Forget the football program; State College, PA needs burnt to the ground.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:48 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I really wish that effing piece at The Classical would load, becaues I didn't make it all the way through....

This preview of theirs has been less than ideal.



I trid to locate that site but all that came up was a few nobodies begging for start up money.

Link?


It's this guy, which is loading on my phone but not in IE.

http://theclassical.org/post/1251929670 ... -is-rotten

They aren't nobodies either, ridiculously talented staff that already earned their start-up money. They just aren't going to unveil the actual website before they finish,

It's going to be what Grantland thinks it is.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

jb wrote:http://www.chatsports.com/penn-state-nittany-lions/a/Source-Paterno-to-step-down-from-Penn-State-on-Thursday-10-137-26

"Paterno will be offered a generous retirement package from the school in exchange for agreeing to never discuss the situation regarding Sandusky with anyone other than the authorities. As it stands now, Penn State President Spanier will hold a press conference on Thursday to announce the decision of Paterno to ‘step down’ effective immediately. We are told that Paterno will not attend the press conference at request of the school."



Pathetic.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:55 pm

HoodooMan wrote:^Really disgusting.

Forget the football program; State College, PA needs burnt to the ground.


They need to spare the place where they make the ice cream. That shit's good.

Although I just googled it and it's called The Creamery. They may need to change the name given the redundancy with what they're calling the showers.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22626
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:^Really disgusting.

Forget the football program; State College, PA needs burnt to the ground.


They need to spare the place where they make the ice cream. That shit's good.

Although I just googled it and it's called The Creamery. They may need to change the name given the redundancy with what they're calling the showers.


^Barely edged out by "I AM BLACK!" as the funniest post of the last 10 minutes.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:23 pm

HoodooMan wrote:^Really disgusting.

Forget the football program; State College, PA needs burnt to the ground.



Wouldn't be surprised if the legislature got involved. Again, you can trust attention hoe to be attention hoes. Just t his time they may stumble into some good.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 pm

jb wrote:End game.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/After-46-years-the-Joe-Paterno-era-ends-8216-?urn=ncaaf-wp9466

AFAIC it will be a cowardly act if Paterno is allowed to finish the season.


Concur....

His ass should be gone tonite

....end of '94, actually
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Ton of great takes, I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. In agreement with JB, eye and many others on the overall severity of this.

Work with a Penn State grad here and he is floored.

Took back every thing he ever said about Tressel and OSU's recent issues. Acknowledged it isn't even in the same galaxy. He's completely ashamed. Even found him to be mad at the likes of Greenberg and the media types that are trying to downplay or take the "legal" defense of JoePa. Have to admit I was a bit surprised.

Then I read a couple sentences of the details and I cannot shake the disgust from my mind. Everyone needs to go. It is going to have major damage to the program but deep down this transcends any SMU, any UM, any OSU, any USC. This is children. This is youth camps. This is a group of men that conciously decided to suspend all their moral and human feelings and swept it under the rug to save a fuckin pervert. I'm not a fan of JoePa at all, similar to some others on here. Heard enough stories from friends and thru coaching circles to discount nearly every accomplishment he's had over the past 20 years but this is a borderline legacy killer. Maybe that's just my opinion and not shared by the majority but knowing what he means to that university, area and so many people. It's not even remotely on par with the Tressel admiration. JoePa was a deity. And now, he's gone and I just don't see how time heals these types of wounds.

Having grown up a Catholic and gone thru how all that has transpired over the years, I think I feel even more disgusted. I haven't set foot in a Catholic mass since I was old enough to truly comprehend and my parents have never questioned my decision. If I were a PSU grad, I can honestly say I would probably never root for them again. Being aware of that historic comp, it is just something that resonates that strongly with me.

As for the program, I think this is devastating in the sense of the court of public opinion. PSU is not getting Urban Meyer. We can put that to rest. For all his faults, Urban is a devoted family that will never entertain any notion of following such a mess. Throw in that I don't think the PSU boosters are going to approach any coach with the same vigor many thought recently. This job has become a job someone wants after the first predecessor. They also are going to have a TON of issues raising money over the coming years and I think you have to appreciate that this will leave a short-term imprint on recruits and parents that will be difficult to overcome in the next couple of years. Sooner or later it will rebound, but as some pieces have already reflected, to many PSU alumni their innocence is forever gone.

You can escape JoePa shitting his pants during a game. They will never be able to escape JoePa and seemingly their entire organization neglecting 40 counts of pedophlia. Ever.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
User avatar
noles1
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Clarion, PA
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gbot and 4 guests

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: gbot and 4 guests