Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:42 am

Hoping Hiko, e0y2e3, CDT or Mother can suggest a decent horror film for me.

I want demons and tension with a condescending hipster feel.

Thanks.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:23 am

The original Dune movie. Watching David Lynch rape Frank Herbert is about as frightening as it gets.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:12 am

Let The Right One In (the Swedish one, I haven't seen the American version) is quite good, although not really even close to a horror movie (though I'm sure you'll find it in that section).

Evil Dead 2 and Return of the Living Dead are 2 classics, but more in the comedy vein.

I was always a fan of Lifeforce when I was a kid, but that's probably because of that girl that walks around naked for half the film. I haven't seen it since the 80's.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:47 am

Let The Right One In Swedish is tits.

American certianly doesn't suck either.

But yeah, that isn't horror.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm working on a screen play in which it seems random people are killed off in gruesome fashion and it turns out the only thing they have in common is posting in a certain message board forum/thread.

Killer turns out to be an otherwise mild-mannered moderator for the site these guys all frequent. Mod's name is tentatively 'Pup McSwerbovitz' (I'm not married to that necessarily).

The dentist's death will be one of the most graphic and horrific deaths in film history (yes, there's an annoying, cloying dentist in the picture who's a complete tool).
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby pup » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:36 pm

peeker643 wrote:I'm working on a screen play in which it seems random people are killed off in gruesome fashion and it turns out the only thing they have in common is posting in a certain message board forum/thread.

Killer turns out to be an otherwise mild-mannered moderator for the site these guys all frequent. Mod's name is tentatively 'Pup McSwerbovitz' (I'm not married to that necessarily).

The dentist's death will be one of the most graphic and horrific deaths in film history (yes, there's an annoying, cloying dentist in the picture who's a complete tool).


Can I play Pup in the movie?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12019
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:I'm working on a screen play in which it seems random people are killed off in gruesome fashion and it turns out the only thing they have in common is posting in a certain message board forum/thread.

Killer turns out to be an otherwise mild-mannered moderator for the site these guys all frequent. Mod's name is tentatively 'Pup McSwerbovitz' (I'm not married to that necessarily).

The dentist's death will be one of the most graphic and horrific deaths in film history (yes, there's an annoying, cloying dentist in the picture who's a complete tool).


Sounds like a story I wrote in 3rd grade.

To be fair, I killed myself off too. I fell into a hay bailer and my severed face landed on my grandpa's lap.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:03 pm

pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I'm working on a screen play in which it seems random people are killed off in gruesome fashion and it turns out the only thing they have in common is posting in a certain message board forum/thread.

Killer turns out to be an otherwise mild-mannered moderator for the site these guys all frequent. Mod's name is tentatively 'Pup McSwerbovitz' (I'm not married to that necessarily).

The dentist's death will be one of the most graphic and horrific deaths in film history (yes, there's an annoying, cloying dentist in the picture who's a complete tool).


Can I play Pup in the movie?


It's you or the tall, nerdy dude from Big Bang Theory.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:08 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I'm working on a screen play in which it seems random people are killed off in gruesome fashion and it turns out the only thing they have in common is posting in a certain message board forum/thread.

Killer turns out to be an otherwise mild-mannered moderator for the site these guys all frequent. Mod's name is tentatively 'Pup McSwerbovitz' (I'm not married to that necessarily).

The dentist's death will be one of the most graphic and horrific deaths in film history (yes, there's an annoying, cloying dentist in the picture who's a complete tool).


Sounds like a story I wrote in 3rd grade.

To be fair, I killed myself off too. I fell into a hay bailer and my severed face landed on my grandpa's lap.


Pfffft... there were no message boards when you were in 3rd grade.

Don't even attempt to go there.

This is a true original. The hay bailer intrigues me though. Be ironic if you...err...
the other poster went out that way.

One guy is going to be consumed by millipedes and midgets and another is going to have bludgeoned with a chalk board full of equations in a town famous for their universities. Or be infected with a disease actually transmitted via Twitter.

Still mulling the options.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I'm working on a screen play in which it seems random people are killed off in gruesome fashion and it turns out the only thing they have in common is posting in a certain message board forum/thread.

Killer turns out to be an otherwise mild-mannered moderator for the site these guys all frequent. Mod's name is tentatively 'Pup McSwerbovitz' (I'm not married to that necessarily).

The dentist's death will be one of the most graphic and horrific deaths in film history (yes, there's an annoying, cloying dentist in the picture who's a complete tool).


Sounds like a story I wrote in 3rd grade.

To be fair, I killed myself off too. I fell into a hay bailer and my severed face landed on my grandpa's lap.


Pfffft... there were no message boards when you were in 3rd grade.

Don't even attempt to go there.

This is a true original. The hay bailer intrigues me though. Be ironic if you...err...
the other poster went out that way.

One guy is going to be consumed by millipedes and midgets and another is going to have bludgeoned with a chalk board full of equations in a town famous for their universities. Or be infected with a disease actually transmitted via Twitter.

Still mulling the options.


Make sure you have deaths involving a keyboard and mouse. Who are you tapping for your cinematographer? Clu Clugler? Hal Towson?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:Hoping Hiko, e0y2e3, CDT or Mother can suggest a decent horror film for me.

I want demons and tension with a condescending hipster feel.

Thanks.


The Ring.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Let The Right One In Swedish is tits.

American certianly doesn't suck either.

But yeah, that isn't horror.


I liked them both, but they were just missing something..... and no I don't mean buckets of blood. Let The Right One In is one of the few horror movies that can challenge The Devil's Backbone in being beautifully shot.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Let The Right One In Swedish is tits.

American certianly doesn't suck either.

But yeah, that isn't horror.


I liked them both, but they were just missing something..... and no I don't mean buckets of blood. Let The Right One In is one of the few horror movies that can challenge The Devil's Backbone in being beautifully shot.


Nudity (adult female, of course)? There was plenty of blood in Let The Right One In.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:57 pm

hiko wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Let The Right One In Swedish is tits.

American certianly doesn't suck either.

But yeah, that isn't horror.


I liked them both, but they were just missing something..... and no I don't mean buckets of blood. Let The Right One In is one of the few horror movies that can challenge The Devil's Backbone in being beautifully shot.


Nudity (adult female, of course)? There was plenty of blood in Let The Right One In.


Not really, the violence was pretty sparse. Which in that case was good thing. I think I just crave more back story on Eli. It's one film I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel for, provided it's written and directed by same group.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
hiko wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Let The Right One In Swedish is tits.

American certianly doesn't suck either.

But yeah, that isn't horror.


I liked them both, but they were just missing something..... and no I don't mean buckets of blood. Let The Right One In is one of the few horror movies that can challenge The Devil's Backbone in being beautifully shot.


Nudity (adult female, of course)? There was plenty of blood in Let The Right One In.


Not really, the violence was pretty sparse. Which in that case was good thing. I think I just crave more back story on Eli. It's one film I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel for, provided it's written and directed by same group.


That would be interesting. That dude that (basically) killed himself was her father, no? They never say. She could be much older than that.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:38 am

hiko wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
hiko wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Let The Right One In Swedish is tits.

American certianly doesn't suck either.

But yeah, that isn't horror.


I liked them both, but they were just missing something..... and no I don't mean buckets of blood. Let The Right One In is one of the few horror movies that can challenge The Devil's Backbone in being beautifully shot.


Nudity (adult female, of course)? There was plenty of blood in Let The Right One In.


Not really, the violence was pretty sparse. Which in that case was good thing. I think I just crave more back story on Eli. It's one film I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel for, provided it's written and directed by same group.


That would be interesting. That dude that (basically) killed himself was her father, no? They never say. She could be much older than that.


No, I don't think that was her dad, just some poor schmuck she had doing her dirty work.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:36 am

All I know is that in this movie d1z3d4 had better get to slaughter a certain tall German douchenozzle.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:21 am

This is not about horror but it doesn't need a separate thread, just a sidebar.

I liked Scott Pilgrim quite a bit. I thought it was interesting and original. And I also seem to be the last remaining person on earth who still likes Michael Cera.

But ZODIAK MF is live tweeting while he's watching it and it's effing hilarious.

IN A MOVIE THAT'S ALREADY CHOCK FULL OF ASSHOLES HERE COMES JASON SHWARTZMANN.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:28 am

Yeah, it's amazing. Making my morning (and making me not very productive).

This is ZODIAKMFER at his pure best and the reason he is an internet legend.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Some horror movies i'm planning on watching this weekend.

Heartless

Pontypool

The Bleeding House

Trick'R'Treat

Session 9
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Some horror movies i'm planning on watching this weekend.

Heartless

Pontypool

The Bleeding House

Trick'R'Treat

Session 9


All seriousness, I have a 17 yr old daughter that loves the genre. We both get disgusted with what passes for quality. Give me a netflix streamed movie I can watch with her. Psycho-terror and blood are fine. But I'd prefer to avoid the uncomfortable sadism and ritual sex murders thing for obvious reasons.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Some horror movies i'm planning on watching this weekend.

Heartless

Pontypool

The Bleeding House

Trick'R'Treat

Session 9


All seriousness, I have a 17 yr old daughter that loves the genre. We both get disgusted with what passes for quality. Give me a netflix streamed movie I can watch with her. Psycho-terror and blood are fine. But I'd prefer to avoid the uncomfortable sadism and ritual sex murders thing for obvious reasons.



I go right to Netflix's horror section and sort them all by ratings. The problem is some movies (Wake The Witch The Awakening) are shitty little student movies, the whole cast and crew go and "seed" the rating by giving them 5 stars.

If you want quality watch Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone I cannot recommend it enough. It might be the best shot horror flick I've seen.

Eli Roth is destroying American horror with his un-watchable garbage. I loathe him and his "films". Tits, sadistic violence, credits. That's the formula he uses to appease his shitheel legion of followers that praise his work.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Audition is streaming...

Don't watch it with her though.

AND EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH 13 ASSASSINS
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:05 pm

BTW: You should seriously consider treating the dentist in your movie like that GUY IN THE SACK from Audition.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm not sure who made Hostel, but you should check that out if you haven't seen it. It's super awesome.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 pm

And seriously, Audition is so effing awesome and chilling THERE IS A GUY IN A SACK
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm

It's the same old story, everyone wants to put dentists in a sac and (edited for spoiler)
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Dr. Giggles FTW.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Holy shit, I forgot about Dr Giggles.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:13 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Audition is streaming...

Don't watch it with her though.

AND EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH 13 ASSASSINS


There's a hilarious review on Netlfix with some guy bitching that the 45 FUCKING MINUTE sword battle wasn't "bloody enough".....
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Holy shit, I forgot about Dr Giggles.


Dennis Hopper is fantastic in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, and supposedly he got paid in coke to do the role. Anyone who has seen it can tell he's ripped to the tits.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Wait, seriously. The 45 minute fight scene where like 300 people die in every single manor from impalement to fire wasn't bloody enough?

That guy may be a serial killer.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:35 am

No mention of the original Dawn of the Dead? Always a treat to watch and see all the stores in the background that you'd frequent when Randall Park first opened. (Wciks and Sticks, Florsheims, etc)
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:51 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:No mention of the original Dawn of the Dead? Always a treat to watch and see all the stores in the background that you'd frequent when Randall Park first opened. (Wciks and Sticks, Florsheims, etc)


The remake was solid too.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:11 am

I actually like the remake a lot.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:26 pm

I liked it. Still not sure on the whole fast zombie thing.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Few others worth mentioning ...

Hellraiser, when it came out initially, was a classic. Pinhead an all time great/creepy horror character.

Also from the 80's - Cujo and Children of the Corn were two of the better adaptations of Stephen King books to the silver screen.

The Hills Have Eyes - the plot of the car breaking down in the back woods is kinda cliche and played out ... but I liked this one as well.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17916
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 pm

The crazy thing about Hellraiser is the Cenobites are only in 4 scenes in the whole movie.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 pm

The Fall of the House of Usher was pretty creepy as a kid.

Fuckn Vincent Price.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:35 pm

FUDU wrote:The Fall of the House of Usher was pretty creepy as a kid.

Fuckn Vincent Price.


Yeah baby!

I don't know how old I was, probably about 6 or 7, but I was watching that with my parents and the part came on where the screws on the coffin started backing out and the lid came off... I got freaked out and my parents made me go upstairs and take a shower, where I became convinced that ghosts would come out of the drain so I clogged it with a washcloth and flooded the bathroom.

The Anger in the House of Hutchison.
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:03 pm

hiko wrote:
FUDU wrote:The Fall of the House of Usher was pretty creepy as a kid.

Fuckn Vincent Price.


Yeah baby!

I don't know how old I was, probably about 6 or 7, but I was watching that with my parents and the part came on where the screws on the coffin started backing out and the lid came off... I got freaked out and my parents made me go upstairs and take a shower, where I became convinced that ghosts would come out of the drain so I clogged it with a washcloth and flooded the bathroom.

The Anger in the House of Hutchison.


I think the Browns are like the dopey kids and the witch won't let them leave the woods.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
hiko wrote:
FUDU wrote:The Fall of the House of Usher was pretty creepy as a kid.

Fuckn Vincent Price.


Yeah baby!

I don't know how old I was, probably about 6 or 7, but I was watching that with my parents and the part came on where the screws on the coffin started backing out and the lid came off... I got freaked out and my parents made me go upstairs and take a shower, where I became convinced that ghosts would come out of the drain so I clogged it with a washcloth and flooded the bathroom.

The Anger in the House of Hutchison.


I think the Browns are like the dopey kids and the witch won't let them leave the woods.


Fucking witch.

Follow the stream, Heckert! Follow the damn stream!
User avatar
hiko
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 am
Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Hiko I think the 1979 TV version of the movie is what I remember more than anything. While Vincent Price might carry a certain level of suspense with him I think the 79 version might have been creepier.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:03 pm

peeker643 wrote:All seriousness, I have a 17 yr old daughter that loves the genre. We both get disgusted with what passes for quality. Give me a netflix streamed movie I can watch with her. Psycho-terror and blood are fine. But I'd prefer to avoid the uncomfortable sadism and ritual sex murders thing for obvious reasons.


Hey I asked our younger daughter (16yo) and here is her list of top scary movies (she is a fan too). I think my wife has vetted them. At any rate, my daughter would have laundered the list for my consumption anyway.

* Final Destination-all of them (I kind of like these too- they crack me up)
* The Ring and the Ring 2
* Paranormal Activity- any of them
* The Shortcut
* Chosen
* Uninvited
* Unborn
* Insidious

ps good weekend wrap
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:10 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:All seriousness, I have a 17 yr old daughter that loves the genre. We both get disgusted with what passes for quality. Give me a netflix streamed movie I can watch with her. Psycho-terror and blood are fine. But I'd prefer to avoid the uncomfortable sadism and ritual sex murders thing for obvious reasons.


Hey I asked our younger daughter (16yo) and here is her list of top scary movies (she is a fan too). I think my wife has vetted them. At any rate, my daughter would have laundered the list for my consumption anyway.

* Final Destination-all of them (I kind of like these too- they crack me up)
* The Ring and the Ring 2
* Paranormal Activity- any of them
* The Shortcut
* Chosen
* Uninvited
* Unborn
* Insidious

ps good weekend wrap


Thanks and thanks, sir. I'll have to see which ones she's seen. I know she's watched all the Paranormal Activity series. I haven't seen any of those.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22624
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 pm

As I said before, I continue to be amazed by the okayness of the Parnormal franchise and I laughed at most of the movies on that list, including The Ring when I was a younin.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 am

peeker643 wrote: I haven't seen any of those.


Do you know the premise of the Final Destination movies?
Here it is- this isn't really a spoiler since the movie writers assume the viewer knows. But stop reading if you like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a bunch of kids who are engaged in some activity, like getting on an airplane, or watching a stock car race, or riding rides at an amusement park. One of the kids gets a strange and foreboding feeling, and gets the group to avoid doing something. A major, elaborate disaster occurs, and a lot of people die a gruesome death. The survivors (some are cool, some are hot, some are jerks-of course) are all relieved they are safe. But in the ensuing days and weeks, they each die from separate terrible accidents. Some of the kids start to take notice, and they see that the deaths are occurring in the order they would have died in the disaster. They try to figure out how to stop Death from getting more people, and reaching them.

The best parts of these movies are the bizarre, fluky ways the survivors get killed.

Great fun- makes you laugh and actually root for Death in some cases - ha.

Eye, I never laughed at the Ring movies. Too scared.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Final Destination.

1) People cheat death.

2) Death takes revenge and kills those who escaped in goofy splatstick like situations.

3) End credits.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 pm

How did Donald Driver know I wanted ice cream?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1733
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Best horror/scary movie of all time?

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 am

As a kid, for its time, the original War of the Worlds scared the bejeebers out of me. I know its nothing now, but at the time...

Another as a kid was the movie, "The Haunting." I was a very young teen, in the house by myself. It was the late night movie on tv. I turned off every light in the house. And I scared the living crap out of myself.

Another movie as a kid was Hitchcock's "The Birds."

Alien plays on all of our inborn fear of the dark.... And the fear of scary looking killing machines who bleed acid and can implant their newborn in your rib cage as an incubator.

I saw the first Friday the 13th when it first came out in a theater with about 20 college classmates as the school year wound down. At the end of the film, I was certainly waiting for the credits to roll as the cops pulled up and the peaceful music played. And then I screamed out loud about 5 times before I realized I was screaming! I then went on campus to try to scare all the people who were at the movie that night... hiding in dark parking lots, in closets, and the like... "kill them, mommy..."

I jumped a ton of times in the theater when I saw Jaws the first time. My kids watch it now and say, "It doesn't even look like a shark." Spoiled by modern special effects.

Heck, the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz scared the poop out of me when I was a youngster.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
User avatar
OldDawg
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests