Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Raab's Book Available For Preorder

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Raab's Book Available For Preorder

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:24 pm

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Raab's Book Available For Preorder

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Been looking forward to this for over a year. The guy is funny, dogged and unabashedly/unapologetically anti-LeBron.

I have no interest in objectivity on this one because the guy is a phenomenal writer and his hatred, if not harnessed will be excellent entertainment.

Messaged him on Twitter for potentially a copy one of the writers here can review and write up for TCF and STO. Told him if he wanted to sign it we would give it away or raffle it off somehow.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Raab's Twitter act got exremely tiring and frankly embarassing after awhile.

One of the main reasons is that the guy is SUCH a gifted writer then turned into nothing more than a stalking producer of one-liners.

Because of the second fact and the sheer amount of reasearch he put in I still expect the book to be outstanding. EOD: Guy is just a freaking fantastic writer and even the Twitter stuff was funny for awhile, guy just didn't know when to quit the schtick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:19 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Raab's Twitter act got exremely tiring and frankly embarassing after awhile.

One of the main reasons is that the guy is SUCH a gifted writer then turned into nothing more than a stalking producer of one-liners.

Because of the second fact and the sheer amount of reasearch he put in I still expect the book to be outstanding. EOD: Guy is just a freaking fantastic writer and even the Twitter stuff was funny for awhile, guy just didn't know when to quit the schtick.

Spot on.

And it wasn't just a Twitter act. Guy was a somewhat regular guest on LeBatard throughout the year, and ILO was making a fool of himself as he continued his, as you accurately describe, "Schtik" all season long. A great writer, along with great research is a winner - I just think he may have hurt himself with people who don't already recognize these facts. The ridiculous way he acted could easily cause him to simply be dismissed by a segment of people who otherwise might be interested in the book. Basically, if you ween't a hard core Lebron hater - almost to an irrational degree, not sure you're on the bandwagon.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:10 am

leadpipe wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Raab's Twitter act got exremely tiring and frankly embarassing after awhile.

Spot on.

And it wasn't just a Twitter act. Guy was a somewhat regular guest on LeBatard throughout the year, and ILO was making a fool of himself as he continued his, as you accurately describe, "Schtik" all season long. A great writer, along with great research is a winner - I just think he may have hurt himself with people who don't already recognize these facts. The ridiculous way he acted could easily cause him to simply be dismissed by a segment of people who otherwise might be interested in the book. Basically, if you ween't a hard core Lebron hater - almost to an irrational degree, not sure you're on the bandwagon.

Agree with all of this. Which may be a reason he's disappeared from site for the last 6 months. LeBatard and Twitter aren't enough to stop him from blowing up on this though. LeBatard doesn't reach enough people and there are many that dislike him. Twitter is bigger now than it was 6 months ago when Raab pretty much dropped off the grid.

Book success might again make him difficult to listen to though.

I sent him a DM on Twitter asking for a book to review now. He's sending it and we'll see what's up when I get it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

You guys are going to love this book. It's painful in many ways but if you've ever truly wanted a picture of being a Cleveland sports fans and if you ever had trouble putting your thoughts and emotions on LBJ and The Decision into a coherent form, well, Raab did it for you.

I've read the Cleveland sports books that are out there. This is the definitive book on TCE and it's brutally honest, vulgar and graphic in its description of both LBJ and the author himself. In fact, it's as much about Raab, his personal demons and his upbringing and Cleveland roots as it is about LBJ.

And it's effing funny in parts. Laugh out loud funny in parts. I'll write up a review that won't do it justice but just a taste for those interested:

"Maybe the ones burning my jersey were never LeBron fans anyway."

Exactamente, you megalomanical shitheel. Those were- they are--Cleveland fans. They burned their jerseys right after your hour-longESPN smarm-fest, when the whole world saw you for the stunted, soul-dead bumpkin you are. Those Cleveland fans knew for the first time what utter fools they had been to believe that LeBron James ever gave a damn about anything but LeBron James.

And because they were born and grew up and will die Cleveland fans, those fans also instantly grasped your legacy as a Cavalier: You will forever be the player who choked and quit against the Celtics in the 2009-2010 playoffs. You surrendered. You gave up. You and your team- while the clock still ran, with the coach urging you on- quit trying, laid down and died.

For that disgrace alone, those fans were right to burn the stinking jerseys they themselves had paid for. Add the disdain and the disrespect you showed for Cleveland fans as Jim gray and Michael Wilbon fellated you on national TV- not a single question about your playoff tank job or the phantom elbow injury that floated in the same ether as the rumors of your mother's sexual dalliance with one of your teammates-hell, those fans should have torched your jerseys with you and your sycophant posse wearing them.

FWiW- Raab refutes the Gloria/Delonte thing. Gives it zero credence. But when you read about DWest..... wow. What a fucking basket case. Painful.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 pm

you megalomanical shitheel

I like that. "Shitheel" is a great word. One of Doc Thompson's favorites.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 pm

LeBron was a huge star. He was as big as I was in 2000 in L.A. when I was dominating the league. … Our coach, Mike Brown, was a nice guy, but he had to live on edge because nobody was supposed to be confrontational with LeBron. Nobody wanted him to leave Cleveland, so he was allowed to do whatever he wanted to do.

I remember one day in a film session LeBron didn’t get back on defense after a missed shot. Mike Brown didn’t say anything about it. He went to the next clip and it was Mo Williams not getting back and Mike was saying, “Yo, Mo, we can’t have that. You’ve got to hustle a little more.” So Delonte West is sitting there and he’s seen enough and he stands up and says, “Hold up, now. You can’t be pussyfooting around like that. Everyone has to be accountable for what they do, not just some us.” Mike Brown said, “I know, Delonte. I know.” Mike knew Delonte was right. …

I’m not sure if Kobe is going to listen to Mike Brown. LeBron never really did. Here’s what we do know: Kobe will definitely be in charge.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... um=twitter

found this extremely interesting.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:25 pm

I am definitely going to buy Raab's book. Shaq's book maybe.

Good link on Shaq's book from SSS. Lebron is always going to be Lebron but his attitude and approach will probably never be as bad again as it was in Cleveland and during the summer decision of Souf Beach.

You have to think Riley and Wade have more influence over him than anyone did in Cleveland. And even the most hard-headed prima donna will probably start listening after all of the criticism and recent post season failures he has endured.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Nugget from Raab:

Delonte/Gloria (rumor)
Savanna/Rashard Lewis (rumor)
Elbow Injury (rumor)

Check the timing. Thought of many is all of it floated by Mav Carter to provide a distraction/excuse for the built-in ability of his boy to live up to the moment in the playoffs.

That shit started in high school too.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:13 am

Peek, not sure whether I understand your prior post. Are you saying that Raab writes in his book that Mav Carter proactively created those false rumors and leaked them to the press so that Lebron would have a pre-established built-in excuse for his impending failures?

Is that what he writes? If so, does he mention anything about whether Lebron was aware of this?

If that is true it is way more wacked than even I previously thought.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:15 am

Oh yeh, if it's true it also goes against the Gloria/Delonte sightings by the guy at the car wash (that guy was highly believable by the way)

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Oh yeh, if it's true it also goes against the Gloria/Delonte sightings by the guy at the car wash (that guy was highly believable by the way)

Personally, if it's between Scott Raab and his hundreds of hours over years of digging, interviews and research - or "the guy at the carwash" (no matter how credible he appeared)....I'm gonna go with Raab.

By the way, it's seems an awful lot more logical that there were more instances like the above mentioned film room one that would've caused a rift betwen D. West and Lebron. A no bullshit guy and a guy that was never told no.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:39 am

peeker643 wrote:Nugget from Raab:

Delonte/Gloria (rumor)
Elbow Injury (rumor)

Check the timing. Thought of many is all of it floated by Mav Carter to provide a distraction/excuse for the built-in ability of his boy to live up to the moment in the playoffs.

Makes one wonder what Riley and Wade thought they were getting into.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am

Delonte's upcoming book will be better from a rumor angle.

And yes, he declared yesterday he has an upcoming book.

And yes, Got my copy yesterday and I'll be reviewing this and posting my "fuck Cleveland" thoughts on it. I'm sure you'll all jump to read them.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:23 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Peek, not sure whether I understand your prior post. Are you saying that Raab writes in his book that Mav Carter proactively created those false rumors and leaked them to the press so that Lebron would have a pre-established built-in excuse for his impending failures?

Is that what he writes? If so, does he mention anything about whether Lebron was aware of this?

If that is true it is way more wacked than even I previously thought.

That's the intimation, yes. And yes, LBJ would have been a party to at least the elbow thing. Notice that went away and was never again a story after the season?

To be clear, Raab never got any legit sources (of his) confirming DWest/Gloria. And you know he would have looked under any rug to find one. He also isn't himself postulating the three rumors were Mav Carter's but rather says it's the feeling of many who have covered LBJ and been around his people who believe that may be the case.

Raab dismissed the DWest/Gloria rumor and didn't opine much one way or the other on the Mav Carter floater thing. He just noted there are those who believe it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:27 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Nugget from Raab:

Delonte/Gloria (rumor)
Elbow Injury (rumor)

Makes one wonder what Riley and Wade thought they were getting into.

Raab has a lot of respect for DWade. He interviewed him right after the decision for a GQ spread and couldn't dislike him. My opinion is that Riley and DWade really had no idea what a head case they were getting in LBJ nor did they realize just what a coach-killing, lack of self-responsibility person LBJ was/is.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:31 am

It still amazes me that people keep effing talking about Gloria and Delonte.

It's the fucking dumbest sports story of the last decade.

If I ever find that toolbox TerezOwen that started it I'll strangle the fuck.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am

e0y2e3 wrote:It still amazes me that people keep effing talking about Gloria and Delonte.

It's the fucking dumbest sports story of the last decade.

If I ever find that toolbox TerezOwen that started it I'll strangle the fuck.

Pay attention to the few parts of the book that talk about Delonte. That dude is a dark, messed up individual with balls bigger than dinosaur eggs.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:25 am

No doubt from on that side of things, ESPECIALLY when he was with the kids. The Bipolar thing is crazy and he certainly didn't have a grasp on it until recently (and even then, Bipolar is always touch and go).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:35 pm

short video of Raab hand delivering a signed copy of the book to LeBron's house

http://www.scottraab.com/lebrons-house-whore-of-akron/
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:19 pm

Like LeBron can read anything longer than Go Dogs Go.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Did anyone here go to the Raab - NPR guy debate last night?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Did anyone here go to the Raab - NPR guy debate last night?

Nope. Wanted to get there and have him sign this book and had to get home to watch youngest instead when Lisa was forced to work late.

I think he's got one more appearance somewhere here in the next couple days.

Any word on the debate? Entertaining?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 pm

MYoung was there and enjoyed it, sort of live tweeted it and some interesting conversation seems to have taken place.

And a drunk guy in an Andy wig was apparently annoying so Raab called him about seventy five bad words and told him to leave.

Izrael apparently opened with "I effing hate this city"

All in all seems to have been more a calm conversation (Andy guy aside) than a debate though.

Stupid wife's work, I could have counted on you for a good recap.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA