Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

So long Robo

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

So long Robo

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:05 pm

The Cleveland Browns today signed running back Thomas Clayton, the team announced. In addition, the club waived wide receiver Brian Robiskie.
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Browns-sign-Clayton-waive-Robiskie/5ba92078-0aec-4724-af11-b5cbd726826f

Not long ago the guy was THE poster child for NFL-ready; today he's out on the streets.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: So long Robo

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:06 pm

That makes 2 out 3 Second Rounders from just 3 drafts ago that have already washed out.

Curse you, ManKok.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Luckily MoMass is setting the NFL on fire.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Dude didn't produce.

This what happens when you have 19 possession WRs and 1 glorified punt returner. Pile of hot trash.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Help a guy out....

How many 2nds have the Browns blown on WR's?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby municipalmutt » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Well he finally got separation. :hide:
municipalmutt

Unread postby hiko » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Help a guy out....

This depends on your definition of "blown".

1999 - Kevin Johnson (I thought he was decent).
2000 - Dennis Northcutt (also had his moments, but will always be famous for one infamous drop).
2001 - Quincy Morgan (had a brief shining moment, then meh)
2002 - Andre Davis (kinda like Ted Ginn Jr., never really translated as a WR).
2009 - Brian Robiskie (unmitigated disaster), Mo Massaquoi (jury still out, but hardly exciting).
2011 - Greg Little (looks to have potential, but hard to see him providing much production with Colt in the lineup).

With an extra pick in 1999, the Browns took Rahim Abdullah (incredibly awful) in addition to KJ. 2003 was Chaun Thompson (more useless than most of those WR's) and 2004 was Sean Jones (whatever happened to him?). 2005 was Brodney Pool (is he still playing?), 2006 was DQ (finally starting to live up to it). 2007's was sacrificed for Brady f-ing Quinn (goddamit), although they did move back up and get Eric Wright (which cost them the 2008 2nd rd pick). In addition to the 2 WR's, 2009 brought us the mercurial David Veikune (a pick before Heckert nabbed LeShaun McCoy). 2010 was TJ Ward (a little inconsistent but worth it, imho) and Montario Hardesty (might be snakebitten). 2011 brought Jabaal Sheard (looks good so far) in addition to Little.

So one might argue that the plethora of WR picks in the 2nd round were actually better than the other players taken (which ain't sayin' much).
hiko

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Good god..... what an abysmal draft record.

Glad that LeSean McCoy guy never worked out. We might have been kicking ourselves over that one.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby smalls1129 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Watch New England pick him up and he becomes more than serviceable. No not bedside I'm a OSU honk (i am), no it's because this is the Browns and OIC could a move that makes this much sense come back and look so idiotic in 3 years
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby sonoranreptile » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 pm

hiko wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Help a guy out....

This depends on your definition of "blown".

1999 - Kevin Johnson (I thought he was decent).
2000 - Dennis Northcutt (also had his moments, but will always be famous for one infamous drop).
2001 - Quincy Morgan (had a brief shining moment, then meh)
2002 - Andre Davis (kinda like Ted Ginn Jr., never really translated as a WR).
2009 - Brian Robiskie (unmitigated disaster), Mo Massaquoi (jury still out, but hardly exciting).
2011 - Greg Little (looks to have potential, but hard to see him providing much production with Colt in the lineup).

With an extra pick in 1999, the Browns took Rahim Abdullah (incredibly awful) in addition to KJ. 2003 was Chaun Thompson (more useless than most of those WR's) and 2004 was Sean Jones (whatever happened to him?). 2005 was Brodney Pool (is he still playing?), 2006 was DQ (finally starting to live up to it). 2007's was sacrificed for Brady f-ing Quinn (goddamit), although they did move back up and get Eric Wright (which cost them the 2008 2nd rd pick). In addition to the 2 WR's, 2009 brought us the mercurial David Veikune (a pick before Heckert nabbed LeShaun McCoy). 2010 was TJ Ward (a little inconsistent but worth it, imho) and Montario Hardesty (might be snakebitten). 2011 brought Jabaal Sheard (looks good so far) in addition to Little.

So one might argue that the plethora of WR picks in the 2nd round were actually better than the other players taken (which ain't sayin' much).

A. Luck would have made all of them pro-bowlers......./sarcasm
sonoranreptile

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby hiko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 am

sonoranreptile wrote:A. Luck would have made all of them pro-bowlers......./sarcasm

No, but they'd probably look a helluva lot better. We in Cleveland must have forgotten how essential good QB play is since we haven't seen it since the 80's.

(Edited for needless drunken aggression)
hiko

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 am

hiko wrote:
sonoranreptile wrote:A. Luck would have made all of them pro-bowlers......./sarcasm

No, but they'd probably look a helluva lot better. We in Cleveland must have forgotten how essential good QB play is since we haven't seen it since the 80's.

`Unfathomable that 13 years later we can say Tim Couch is clearly the best quarterback the Browns have had since their return. Yeah, Holcomb played 4 good games, Anderson played 7 good games, Quinn played 2 good games, etc, etc. Tim freaking Couch is the best Browns qb in the last 13 years. Awesome!!
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby hiko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:41 pm

scrambler wrote:
hiko wrote:

`Unfathomable that 13 years later we can say Tim Couch is clearly the best quarterback the Browns have had since their return. Yeah, Holcomb played 4 good games, Anderson played 7 good games, Quinn played 2 good games, etc, etc. Tim freaking Couch is the best Browns qb in the last 13 years. Awesome!!

Crazy, isn't it? I'd be hard-pressed to find any other team with a streak that bad that long. Washington, maybe? Miami?
hiko

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 pm

1. Tom Brady
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Drew Brees
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Matt Ryan
6. Mike Vick
7. Josh Freeman
8. Cam Newton
9. Phillip Rivers
10. Joe Flacco

put any of those guys under center with this abortion of an offense and we're talking a 5-2 season at bare min., and talking about being in the playoff hunt. I've seen Brees make average players into good ones. And Brady? dude was throwing to David Patten, Troy Brown and Deion Branch and won 3 SB's with them.

either we're going one of two routes. Throwing a meh QB under center and praying we can build around him, or getting a guy who can crack into the top ten list up there to help us make a run. and at this point, hoping it's the latter.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:33 am

Triple-S wrote:1. Tom Brady
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Drew Brees
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Matt Ryan
6. Mike Vick
7. Josh Freeman
8. Cam Newton
9. Phillip Rivers
10. Joe Flacco

put any of those guys under center with this abortion of an offense and we're talking a 5-2 season at bare min., and talking about being in the playoff hunt. I've seen Brees make average players into good ones. And Brady? dude was throwing to David Patten, Troy Brown and Deion Branch and won 3 SB's with them.

either we're going one of two routes. Throwing a meh QB under center and praying we can build around him, or getting a guy who can crack into the top ten list up there to help us make a run. and at this point, hoping it's the latter.

Not sure if you ranked them in order of impact or skill or qulaity of season, but I think Aaron Rodgers is really pissed that he and Joe Falcco are mentioned in the same list.

In reality, there are the top 4 or so, then a huge gap before you get to "serviceable" (Flacco) and then less of a gap before you get to "feh"

I think you need to be really careful about saying a team with 2 holes at G and no WR no a stud RB with ouchies would be 5-2 with Joe Flacco at QB. Tom Brady? yeah sure. Joe Flacco or Josh Freeman? Not so fast, my friend.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 am

The Browns can't have two holes at guard. They avoided the position and OL depth in the off-season because they drafted such good rookie guards they didn't need any help.

Hiko told me so.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 am

e0y2e3 wrote:The Browns can't have two holes at guard. They avoided the position and OL depth in the off-season because they drafted such good rookie guards they didn't need any help.

Hiko told me so.

Lauvao was on pace to start last year before getting hurt, and looked good in the Preseason. Not sure how he fell apart, but I stand behind my statement from that time that they should have been fine.

And since Steinbach was supposed to start at the other G position, yes, I can see how maybe the Browns thought they were OK there. I suppose they should've anticipated Steinbach being out for the year?

And we both agreed that it was mysterious why the Browns avoided acquiring any veteran depth at any position. I guess they were seeing what they have so they'd know what they need. Well, now they know.
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:30 am

I'm just fucking around more than anything.

But having a position w/ two black holes where you only had 3 people on the roster that could "play" them including a UFA is weird as hell.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I'm just fucking around more than anything.

But having a position w/ two black holes where you only had 3 people on the roster that could "play" them including a UFA is weird as hell.

Pinkston still has hope. He's just a rookie, and he played T in college.

Vallos actually looked much better than Lauvao. I think he could be competent. His not playing is further evidence of the ongoing Evaluation Year.
hiko

Unread postby Toxicadam » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Erie Warrior, day of the draft:

Just got back from a baseball game. Awful, awful draft. Mack may be decent, but he wasn't worth trading down for. And for what, 6th rounders in a garbage draft. Robiskie and Massoqui? Laughable. A LB from Hawaii? HA! Here's a few signs that this draft was hot garbage:

1. You've talked yourself into thinking Robiskie will be a 3rd down WR, and a serviceable professional

2. You've asked someone for information about the 2ND ROUND PICKS!!!

3. You've looked for defensive stats on HAWAII!!

4. You think any of the second round picks add quality or depth to a professional football team.

Bookmark this post, and throw it back in my face, please.

Garbage in, garbage out.
Toxicadam

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:58 am

Toxicadam wrote:Erie Warrior, day of the draft:

Just got back from a baseball game. Awful, awful draft. Mack may be decent, but he wasn't worth trading down for. And for what, 6th rounders in a garbage draft. Robiskie and Massoqui? Laughable. A LB from Hawaii? HA! Here's a few signs that this draft was hot garbage:

1. You've talked yourself into thinking Robiskie will be a 3rd down WR, and a serviceable professional

2. You've asked someone for information about the 2ND ROUND PICKS!!!

3. You've looked for defensive stats on HAWAII!!

4. You think any of the second round picks add quality or depth to a professional football team.

Bookmark this post, and throw it back in my face, please.

Garbage in, garbage out.

WOW. EW nailed it. What did he say about this years draft?
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL