Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Sizemore's Option

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Sizemore's Option

Unread postby paulcousineau » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:44 am

Though too much e-ink has been spilled about Grady's option already, much of the talk about his willingness to re-negotiate his deal is based on the idea that no other team would take a chance on him, given his injury history, this off-season.

Which is what makes the intro to this piece in the San Fransisco Chronicle so interesting:
Imagine Grady Sizemore patrolling center field for the Giants - a healthy Grady Sizemore, that is. As he was when hitting .281 and averaging 27 homers and 29 steals over his first four full seasons (2005 to 2008). Knee issues have sidetracked his career, and he's about to become an ex-Indian.

It could be worthwhile for a team to take a one-year flier on Sizemore, who hopes his Oct. 3 arthroscopic knee surgery will put him back in business.

Wouldn't a team like the Giants be the EXACT kind of team that would take a one-year flier on Sizemore, given their lack of offense?
Not sure what they'd offer him, but the idea that he'd have suitors (like the Giants) isn't outrageous.

It is worth noting that this writer (John Shea) also takes a stab at where some of the "bigger" FA will end up in the piece and wrote this...which is fairly relevant:
Carlos Beltran: As a Giant, he wasn't exactly Beltran circa 2004, though he did start hitting in September. Down the road, his wrist won't be an issue as much as tender knees, which will keep him out of center field. The Giants shouldn't offer more than three years. He might end up in the AL anyway, to make use of the designated-hitter rule.

-- Odds of returning: Medium

-- If not Giants: Indians

-- Long shot: Mariners

This is all conjecture, but that's an awfully interesting idea...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/23/SPPH1LL55R.DTL
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Re: Sizemore's Option

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:27 pm

If the Indians don't pick up Sizemore's option, they will lose him. No doubt another team will take a chance, whether it be the Giants or Red Sox or Cubs or whoever.

I advocate the Indians pick up his option and try him out as a first baseman.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:58 pm

The funny part about Grady is that if he were on another team, we'd be talking about him as the kind of guy we should take a look at ... high risk, but the chance of a high reward ... the guys the small and mid markets need to roll the dice on.

Guy still scares me too much though. I just think he's shot. Best case he plays 130 games, hits .260 and hits 20 HR. No longer aa top of the order guy, which hurts too.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:56 pm

We cannot commit 9M to a guy like Sizemore when we have holes at 1B, LF/CF (wherever Brantley doesn't play), and the starting rotation.

There's not much out there in free agency at 1B. I think Derrek Lee will want to stay in the NL and Carlos Pena's probably going to want 10M and the Indians won't do that.

I'd like to see the Indians go after Juan Pierre. I don't know what his situation will be in Chicago, but he'd give you a bona fide leadoff hitter with speed and a solid fielder in left. His arm sucks, and we'd continue to have two shitty arms in the OF, but he'd be a spark plug. That allows you to either hit ACab 5th and Brantley 2nd or hit Brantley down in the 6/7 spot to help drive in some runs and give you speed at the bottom of the order.

The FA rotation guys are a mess. Trade for Wandy and take your chances.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I think the amount we have got out of Sizemore the last 2 years, he would need to be on a lesser salary to justify keeping him, sadly though we don't take the option there will be one of 29 teams happy to take a 12 month risk on him.

Feel as though Cleveland are sought of backed into a corner on this one, I like the idea of him going to first base, if he is up to it, it may take some pressure off his knees, fill a hole, and keep him in the side at perhaps a higher salary as he could play more games and justify perhaps taking the option.

Can he play first base though?
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:21 pm

If Sizemore would do the equivalent of adding another year on to the $9M option at no extra charge, I'd keep him. Free agents are expensive as hell and that price wouldn't be out of line. Otherwise, bon voyage.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:45 am

ChoccoIndians wrote:I think the amount we have got out of Sizemore the last 2 years, he would need to be on a lesser salary to justify keeping him, sadly though we don't take the option there will be one of 29 teams happy to take a 12 month risk on him.

Feel as though Cleveland are sought of backed into a corner on this one, I like the idea of him going to first base, if he is up to it, it may take some pressure off his knees, fill a hole, and keep him in the side at perhaps a higher salary as he could play more games and justify perhaps taking the option.

Can he play first base though?

We aren't backed into a corner, really, and we already have a first baseman who can't hit.

Remove the personal part out of the equation. He hasn't been healthy in well over two seasons, and his numbers haven't been worthy of his salary. Sure, you can always hope that he'll rebound, but you can't bank on it, not at $9M.

You have to decline that option, attempt to sign him to an incentive laden deal. If he wants to test the market, let him. Someone will probably give him a similar type of deal. If he'd rather start fresh, you wish him well. I don't see anyone offering him more than a couple of million on a flyer to see if he's still got gas in the tank. If he rebounds someplace else, so be it. He's too much of a risk at his current salary. Can't do it.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:48 pm

I might be one of the few but I think the Indians are going to pickup his option. Now how I feel about that if they do I just really don't know yet.

Lets just think about this for a second, we are talking about the Indians here. Swerb just said it above if Sizemore was on the market he would be the type of guy the Indians woudl go after. Well he is already under their control and they won't have to get into a bidding war for him. 9 Million for one year seems like a lot for the Indians to spend on a guy coming off all the injury problems he has had over the last couple seasons.

But here is the spin that will come from the Indians on why they will pick up the option and what you will hear countless times. Sizemore will be like our big fa prize this winter, he has the potential to bounce back and the Indians know what they can get from him. Plus he might be the best option when you really think about it that is out there for the Indians to realistically be able to afford. Plus it is only for next season and hopefully this does not happen but if the Indians fall out of the race by the trade deadline and Sizemore is playing good and he is healthy they will trade him.

I say that Hafner gives the Indians back some of his money to help this team sign a FA or two.
Cleveland Matt

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 pm

What's the potential draft/FA implication if the Tribe either a) lets him go b) picks up the option, then he goes elsewhere.

Depending on value, I can see the Tribe electing to go either way if "b" maximizes draft value or if it doesn't they may elect to "risk" on "a" with the hope to possibly re-sign.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Curious to see how much fan perception plays in the decision. Guy still gets a huge ovation every time he comes to the plate despite the 40% likelihood that he will strike out. I imagine merchandise sales have slowed to a crawl for Sizemore 24 shit, but this could have a really negative PR impact.

If he leaves on his own accord after the upcoming season, that's one thing. If we look like we don't want him back, that's another.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 pm

They need to get an impact player this OS.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Curious to see how much fan perception plays in the decision. Guy still gets a huge ovation every time he comes to the plate despite the 40% likelihood that he will strike out. I imagine merchandise sales have slowed to a crawl for Sizemore 24 shit, but this could have a really negative PR impact.

If he leaves on his own accord after the upcoming season, that's one thing. If we look like we don't want him back, that's another.

That's an interesting point. The nightmare scenario is he goes to a team like Boston or New York and plays like he did pre-injury. That's a PR nightmare.

FWIW, I don't think he ever plays that way again, but the possibility does exist.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Bigfist » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am

Well, Sizemore might be the type of guy we would go after on the FA market, but we would never guarantee someone like that 9 million dollars. Incentive laden contract..yes. Guaranteed 9 million..no. I doubt very much anyone is going to give him a guaranteed 9 million on the open market. If he is not willing to take an incentive laden contract, I think you have to let him walk.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:35 am

Bigfist wrote:Well, Sizemore might be the type of guy we would go after on the FA market, but we would never guarantee someone like that 9 million dollars. Incentive laden contract..yes. Guaranteed 9 million..no. I doubt very much anyone is going to give him a guaranteed 9 million on the open market. If he is not willing to take an incentive laden contract, I think you have to let him walk.

Agree with Bigfist on that exact point. The Indians love their reclamation projects but they don't pay them huge dollars to rehab here. They just set them up for future success.

This is all going to come down simply to whether Grady wants to stay or whether he wants a fresh start elsewhere. There will be some demand and the SF article sums up the reason why. You may take a shot that he'll rebound and get healthy but $9m is too much to pay for that chance.

And let's be realistic: if he leaves it's not a huge loss. He hasn't helped much here in a couple years and they've basically played w/o him anyway.

YMMV.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:13 pm

The Indians don't have the luxury of sentiment, and they can't worry about the PR hit if Grady leaves. The fans that pay close attention will understand why they let Grady go, and those that don't - those who would be most upset - could be won back if the moves made this offseason generate excitement, wins, or (obviously preferably) both.

I wouldn't be shocked if he signed somewhere else for money close to the option value, but it won't be here. He's had multiple surgeries, hasn't been on the field, hasn't been productive when he's been on the field, and will turn 30 next season. Time to cut the cord.

Carlos Beltran would be perfect, which is why it won't happen.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I think Beltran is going to want aroudn what Sizemore's option is plus 3 to 5 more years. This will be the last time Beltran will try to cash in on a multi year contract. Lets not also forget who Beltran's agent is Scott Boras. Boras has already been quoted saying he is looking for a 5 to 6 year deal for Beltran. The Indians do not have a chance to get Beltran and at this price and the years of what it would take I would not be mad if they passed.
Cleveland Matt

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:34 pm

So the guy that refused to be traded to Cleveland, is now going to elect to sign with Cleveland as a free agent?

For some reason, I do not see that happening.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:48 am

Cleveland Matt wrote:I think Beltran is going to want aroudn what Sizemore's option is plus 3 to 5 more years. This will be the last time Beltran will try to cash in on a multi year contract. Lets not also forget who Beltran's agent is Scott Boras. Boras has already been quoted saying he is looking for a 5 to 6 year deal for Beltran. The Indians do not have a chance to get Beltran and at this price and the years of what it would take I would not be mad if they passed.

Boras is amazing at being able to get teams to overpay for players, but I think the odds of him getting Beltran more than a 3-4 year deal is pretty low. He turns 35 at the start of next season and had two fairly mediocre, injury filled years prior to his resurgence last season. 3 years with a vesting 4th is what I predict.

Any GM that gives him 5 or 6 needs to have their head examined.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Jumbo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:58 pm

pup wrote:So the guy that refused to be traded to Cleveland, is now going to elect to sign with Cleveland as a free agent?

For some reason, I do not see that happening.

Sure, chances are low. Very low. But I wouldn't rule it out just based on Beltran's in-season decision. His contract would've been the same no matter where he played during the season, but now that's different. If the Indians offered the most money (I know, I know), he might not turn it down. Unlikely, but not frankly impossible.

Interesting possibility: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/25075/new-player-in-yanks-rf-derby-beltran The Yankees could make a run at Beltran, leaving Swisher behind. Swisher would be a very nice alternative if the Yankees decide not to pick up his option and go after Beltran instead. Swapping Grady for Swisher (a solid and durable, if unspectacular) player would be a fine upgrade.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:26 pm

If they have trouble with this decision, the future ain't too bright.

That kind of money for;

A. A six or seven hole hitter

and

B. Whose helth on the ten scale is about a 3.

In other words, not that good of an unhealthy player.

And you worry about public perception in dealings with stars. If you worry about that with the above player, again, you've got big organizational issues.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm

Take the 9 million you save from Grady and just go get Pujols already......
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:02 pm

If it was only that easy Dnthateonthepronk. I think the Indians would be about 15 to 20 million dollars short per season with Pujols and about 7 or 8 years short on the contract he is looking for.
Cleveland Matt

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:12 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Take the 9 million you save from Grady and just go get Pujols already......

Sure, because marquee free agents have been falling over themselves to live in Cleveland.

We'd have to pay him $40M a season to play here.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:41 am

Sarcasm guys ;-) ;) :wink:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:47 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Sarcasm guys ;-) ;) :wink:

Sarcasm doesn't travel well over teh intertubes.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:38 am

It's official. Fausto's back, Sizemore's option not excersized.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby andrew6586 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 am

I think Sizemore ends up with the Tribe again but for about $2-$3M. He was just too expensive.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby Bigfist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:49 am

I will be very surprised if Sizemore re-signs with Cleveland. I think the management made the right move, to be sure, and I hope that Grady does well no matter where he signs. I just don't think it will be with Cleveland.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Wow. I just expected something would be worked out to keep Grady an Indian. Maybe they still will. His injuries the past few seasons are up there with the biggest disappointments over the last decade for the tribe. Hafner's shoulder being another. In his prime, Grady was fun to watch play. I hope he does recover and returns to his old self wherever he lands.

If the Indians really do not resign him, I think that is a very good signal they know his knees are swiss cheese at this point. Just no way they let a fan favorite like Grady go otherwise.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Somebody else will pay him millions to sit on the DL. I'm guessing a stupid team like the Dodgers or Mets.

I remember when his comps were Duke Snider. How the mighty have fallen. Sad really.

/He never became the leader we wanted him to be. And he seemed to avoid the role. I wish him success wherever he lands.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby 1Perry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Grady is going to see what's out there. No doubt about that or something would have been agreed to in Arizona.

Someone will likely overpay to see if he has anything left. I'm good with the move.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 pm

I thought it was fairly obvious myself.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:21 am

motherscratcher wrote:

I thought it was fairly obvious myself.

me too
Dnthateonthepronk

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB