Text Size

The 19th Hole

What is the best club you carry in your bag?

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

What is the best club you carry in your bag?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:40 am

I wish I could say mine was something witty like a putter that allows me to regulary sink 12 footers or a wedge that keeps me one putting after chipping, but mine is actually a 2iron.

For the last 2 years I have had a hell of a time hitting driver. I just can't seem to get the club to work at all. I am not talking about hooking into the rough or slicing OB, I am talking about hitting 50 yard worm burners. I think my swing plane is too vertical, that I am scooping the ball too much. Hell, I can play a 2 iron, that means that there HAS to be something wrong with my swing. I think I will work on that driver thing over the winter, and just stop carrying the warbird around this year.

To compensate for my complete lack of ability to hit a driver, I bought an X-18 2iron. I absolutely crush this club. I hit it straight, I can work it left to right or right to left. I play with some pretty good players and generally I am only 20 yards behind them off the tee and usually in better shape so I dont feel as bad about using it, the only bad thing is that it takes most par 5's out of reach in two now. I can only hit the very short (<500 yard) par 5's and in order to do so, i must play two VERY good iron shots, usually 2iron then 3 iron.

I guess it kind of sucks too, that on 400 yard par 4's I am playing 2iron 8 iron instead of driver wedge like my friends.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:47 am

For many years, a 4 iron. Last year, my hybrid club (equivalent of 4 iron).

This year? My driver surprisingly.

Got a new driver this off-season. I had always been a hybrid, 3 wood, or 4 iron off the tee guy. Made a commitment to swinging it as much as possible at the range this winter. Stayed committed to it all year. Have been swinging it incredibly well.

240-280, and my misses haven't been bad misses. It's gotten my game from the low to mid 90s to the mid to high 80s.

My short game still needs work. I've been flip flopping between putters, and my short wedge game (80 in) is not as accurate as I'd like.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Favorite Clubs change...

Unread postby S4Aero » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:25 am

I am pretty solid with my putter most of the time, but my new go-to club is a Hogan Edge hybrid.

I've learned that I can hit it from about 170 all the way up to 210. It brings some longer par 3s into range that used to be a real problem. It's also a great choice from longer rough where it's easier to keep on line. For me, iron shots from a thick lie tend to squirt right or left depending on what happens to the club face on impact, the utility club remains square and produces better results.

The proof to me is that my golfing buddies adsoulutely hate it when I pull the Hogan (nicknamed "Doc") for a shot!
S4Aero

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:14 pm

Ernie, I love my hybrid as well. I use it in a multitude of different ways, yet don't use it as often as last year because I am hitting my driver and 5 iron better.

But like you, I have great control with it, and can hit it 180-220.

One of my favorite spots to use it is when I find the woods, and need to maneuver below or around trees. I'm able to keep the ball low while still striking it well and making good contact. It's also much easier for me to shape shots L to R or R to L with it. I'l also occassionally use it greenside.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yogi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:47 pm

7 iron.

It feels good in my hands, I have confidence I can get on the green most times. I can hit it high or hit a low liner to run up on the green.

Generally, anytime I'm hitting off a tee, I think how far I need to hit for the next shot to be a 7 iron or lower.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Return to The 19th Hole