Text Size

The Gamblers Den

2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

This is the place to discuss sports handicapping, poker, and other forms of gambling.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, leadpipe

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Texas 500/417
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Action Boy will take the St. Louis Cardinals 370/370
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm

500 Texas
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:35 pm

Henry bet invalid - posted 8:06 PM. All bets must be posted by the start time listed in the thread.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Action boy had a last post a you counted it. Are you you going to count mine since it was in before first pitch or take away Actiob boy's win?
Below is his 1 minute last post.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool
by Action Boy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:16 pm
Action Boy will take the Detroit Tigers 240-150
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Sorry for the late post. I thought I got it in time.
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Carpenter pitched a gem only to be let down by an offense that had runners in scoring position all night long, which included 9 walks by Ranger pitchers. Wilson pulled a Houdini act tonight. It's pretty obvious Wilson's arm is tired and about to fall off. Credit to him for battling.

Not sure why LaRussa used a lefty against the hottest hitter in baseball since the All Star break. Pretty effin stupid. Game on the line - LaRussa went with his 4th best pitcher out of the pen to face Napoli.
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:10 am

Bill Henry wrote:Action boy had a last post a you counted it. Are you you going to count mine since it was in before first pitch or take away Actiob boy's win?
Below is his 1 minute last post.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool
by Action Boy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:16 pm
Action Boy will take the Detroit Tigers 240-150

You're right Bill, his pick for that game was a minute late. To be fair, I will adjust the $150 winnings from that game off his total.

We have to use the time stamp rule. Especially as we get late in this pool, it is important to have some kind of metric for when picks must be posted that is consistent and fair.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 am

Action Boy's total adjusted. Henry's bet invalid due to late post. FightDr back from the dead, and can win this thing if he puts $500 on the Rangers in game six and they win.

Fightdr (pd) - $2149
Bill Henry - $1980
Action Boy (pd) - $1883
tappi (pd)- $1851
Dano7954 (pd) - $1262
tpcatfox (pd) - $512
---
ASPDawgPound12 - $0
Swerb (pd) - $0
Uncle June (pd) - $0
GovBarney (pd) - $0
jpd1224 (pd) - $0
Braves23 (pd) - $0
D$ (pd) - $0
Earl17 (pd) - $0
Eck (pd) - $0
jjgmyers - $0
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby tappi » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:14 am

Hey Swerb,

I think next year you may want to change this rule on posting when you get to the World Series games. It changes it from a pool to a "who can post last after seeing whatever everyone else takes". It's like Final Jeopardy, yet you get to see hwat the other guys answer and how much they bet on that answer. Actually takes all of the thrill out of it in my opinion. Maybe do the last round via email andthen you post them all at game time, or even after gametime, I am sure everyone here trusts you
tappi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:15 pm
Favorite Player: Gary Carter
Least Favorite Player: John Franco

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 am

Swerb - I will send my remaining picks to you via private message, BEFORE the game starts.....that should eliminate the nonsense.

Not buying LaRussa's lame story about the bullpen mixup. We can communicate to astronauts in space, but the Cardinals couldn't in a World Series game. Man up and tell us what really took place. Did anyone ask him why Allen Craig is trying to steal a base with one of the greatest hitters at the plate....not once but twice.
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:36 am

tappi wrote:Hey Swerb,

I think next year you may want to change this rule on posting when you get to the World Series games. It changes it from a pool to a "who can post last after seeing whatever everyone else takes". It's like Final Jeopardy, yet you get to see hwat the other guys answer and how much they bet on that answer. Actually takes all of the thrill out of it in my opinion. Maybe do the last round via email andthen you post them all at game time, or even after gametime, I am sure everyone here trusts you

I agree 100%. The only problem is the times I'm not around a computer when the game starts. It's obviously vital for the other players to know all wagers as soon as the game starts. On days where I'm not around a computer, I can just find a backup to have people PM picks to.

For the remaining games, players, feel free to PM me your picks if you want. Same timestamping rules on picks apply. I will paste the picks, with the PM timestamp, in this thread once the game starts.

I will be home Wedns and Thurs night at 8:05 PM to post picks for game six and potentially game seven.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 am

swerb wrote:
tappi wrote:Hey Swerb,

I think next year you may want to change this rule on posting when you get to the World Series games. It changes it from a pool to a "who can post last after seeing whatever everyone else takes". It's like Final Jeopardy, yet you get to see hwat the other guys answer and how much they bet on that answer. Actually takes all of the thrill out of it in my opinion. Maybe do the last round via email andthen you post them all at game time, or even after gametime, I am sure everyone here trusts you

I agree 100%. The only problem is the times I'm not around a computer when the game starts. It's obviously vital for the other players to know all wagers as soon as the game starts. On days where I'm not around a computer, I can just find a backup to have people PM picks to.

For the remaining games, players, feel free to PM me your picks if you want. Same timestamping rules on picks apply. I will paste the picks, with the PM timestamp, in this thread once the game starts.

I will be home Wedns and Thurs night at 8:05 PM to post picks for game six and potentially game seven.


Kudos to Tappi & Swerb for the late adjustment.

Swerb - I don't think the players will mind if you are away from the computer and the picks are posted later than the start of the game.

Big shout out to Fight Dr. who just 5 days ago had $333 and was all in on the Rangers. Incredible run to the top. Good luck!
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:23 am

So now we are changing the rules with 2 games left?
They should have to be posted on here like it's been the entire way.
Honestly, the way I got back into this was because I did the opposite of what others were doing.
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 am

Page 1, Swerb's first post with the rules:
Post all picks in here. Picks must be timestamped no later than the official start time of the game.

Changing this now is complete bullshit.
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Dano7594 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:48 am

I agree fightdr, even though I am out of it, I dont think you should change the process with 2 games to go
Dano7594
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm
Favorite Player: Tom Brady
Least Favorite Player: The Mannings'

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:00 am

Action Boy wrote:Swerb - I will send my remaining picks to you via private message, BEFORE the game starts.....that should eliminate the nonsense.

Not buying LaRussa's lame story about the bullpen mixup. We can communicate to astronauts in space, but the Cardinals couldn't in a World Series game. Man up and tell us what really took place. Did anyone ask him why Allen Craig is trying to steal a base with one of the greatest hitters at the plate....not once but twice.


Because Albert put the hit and run sign on, according to Tony and Craig. Wonder why he took the pitch though?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:15 am

I would love a rule change for next year but you can't change a rule with two games left can you?
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:22 am

pup wrote:
Action Boy wrote:Swerb - I will send my remaining picks to you via private message, BEFORE the game starts.....that should eliminate the nonsense.

Not buying LaRussa's lame story about the bullpen mixup. We can communicate to astronauts in space, but the Cardinals couldn't in a World Series game. Man up and tell us what really took place. Did anyone ask him why Allen Craig is trying to steal a base with one of the greatest hitters at the plate....not once but twice.


Because Albert put the hit and run sign on, according to Tony and Craig. Wonder why he took the pitch though?


That makes sense then. A runner on 1st base with Pujols up is basically already in scoring position with his ability to drive the ball into the gaps. Just hard to imagine considering how clutch Pujols has been.
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am

fightdr wrote:Page 1, Swerb's first post with the rules:
Post all picks in here. Picks must be timestamped no later than the official start time of the game.

Changing this now is complete bullshit.

Alright, fair enough. To change it now would not be fair.

Lets keep it as is to finish. Picks must be posted in here. All future pools of this ilk will have the option to PM picks in the later rounds.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 am

All picks must be timestamped in this thread by 8:05 PM

8:05 PM

Texas (Lewis) even
St. Louis (Garcia) -120
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:08 am

500 St Louis
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby tpcatfox » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:28 am

tpcatfox..

St Louis....$500
tpcatfox
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 9:11 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Game 6 is now Thursday.
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Note - all bets scratched. New line will be posted in the morning. If you already posted a wager, you will have to repost it tomorrow after the new line is posted in here.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:13 am

8:05 PM

Texas (Lewis) -110
St. Louis (Garcia) -110
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 am

Note - all old wagers from yesterday have been scrapped. If you posted yesterday you must repost your wager in here today.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Dano7594 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:58 am

St. Louis-$500
Dano7594
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm
Favorite Player: Tom Brady
Least Favorite Player: The Mannings'

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:13 am

500 St Louis
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby tpcatfox » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 am

tpcatfox...

St Louis.....$500
tpcatfox
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 9:11 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby tappi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 pm

$500 Texas
tappi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:15 pm
Favorite Player: Gary Carter
Least Favorite Player: John Franco

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Texas 220/200
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Action Boy will take the Texas Rangers for $500
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Possibly the ugliest baseball game of all time.
This is laughable.
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 am

What an effing ballgame. Sweet Mother of Jesus. Maybe the best baseball game I've ever seen.

Bill Henry - $2435
Fightdr (pd) - $1929
Dano7954 (pd) - $1717
Action Boy (pd) - $1383
tappi (pd)- $1351
tpcatfox (pd) - $967
---
ASPDawgPound12 - $0
Swerb (pd) - $0
Uncle June (pd) - $0
GovBarney (pd) - $0
jpd1224 (pd) - $0
Braves23 (pd) - $0
D$ (pd) - $0
Earl17 (pd) - $0
Eck (pd) - $0
jjgmyers - $0
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:21 am

8:05 PM

Texas (Harrison) +120
St. Louis (Carpenter) -140
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:04 am

The first 5 innings was terrible baseball.
From the 6th on, it was amazing.
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Bill Henry » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Sorry guys but I am going to take all the fun out of game 7 and go 100 Texas and lock this thing up.
User avatar
Bill Henry
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:51 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby Action Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:54 pm

fightdr wrote:The first 5 innings was terrible baseball.
From the 6th on, it was amazing.



I know you didn't win, but congrats on a hell of a comeback....I was pulling for you. Hard to believe Feliz couldn't close the door. The pitch to Freese was actually a good pitch on the outer half of the strike zone, down at the knees. Credit to Freese for going with the pitch.
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby fightdr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks but congrats goes to Billy Ball.
If your not first, your last.
Playoffs have been great and i'd like to see Texas win.
I'm a big Hamilton and Young fan.
fightdr
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm
Favorite Player: Deion
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: 2011 MLB Playoffs Pool

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:36 am

Congrads Billy! Shoot me your address and I will send you out a check Monday.

Bill Henry - $2335
Fightdr (pd) - $1929
Dano7954 (pd) - $1717
Action Boy (pd) - $1383
tappi (pd)- $1351
tpcatfox (pd) - $967
---
ASPDawgPound12 - $0
Swerb (pd) - $0
Uncle June (pd) - $0
GovBarney (pd) - $0
jpd1224 (pd) - $0
Braves23 (pd) - $0
D$ (pd) - $0
Earl17 (pd) - $0
Eck (pd) - $0
jjgmyers - $0
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Previous

Return to The Gamblers Den

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests