Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

I Am 'They' Walrus

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

I Am 'They' Walrus

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I was a bit taken a back when Holmgren eschewed the Cleveland media and talked to a guy on Seattle radio given all that's going on here with this franchise. Not completely bothered because dudes develop media relationships in their time in various plaes but I thought it was a bit back handed.

But when I heard Holmgren refer to Cleveland and the Browns as 'they' yesterday on the way home it sent up some red flags.

Just wondered what others thought of him saying he didn't plan on spending 10 years here and that he wanted to get an organization in place so "they" can feel good about where the organization is.

Is it much ado about nothing or is it a clear sign that Holmgren isn't fully invested in this gig and this franchise?

We can be a bit....umm...defensive about our teams and town so I understand getting in the car and hearing nothing but this stuff on the radio. Does it matter at all if Holmgren leaves us with Heckert and a foundation (that's IF for those wanting to talk about the state of the team today which this thread isn't about)?

I think he made a mistake in the words he chose. And the 'face' of the franchise, especially with an absentee owner who doesn't seem to care, shouldn't go down that road IMO.

End of the day, IMO, it makes no difference if the team improves and progresses but in the short term he just made a bad situation worse.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: I Am 'They' Walrus

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:26 pm

From day one Walrus has said he wants one more coaching gig.

Be shocked if he's not coaching here or elsewhere by Jan 2013.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:32 pm

He'll bolt and leave a pile of shit for someone else to clean up.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:I was a bit taken a back when Holmgren eschewed the Cleveland media and talked to a guy on Seattle radio given all that's going on here with this franchise. Not completely bothered because dudes develop media relationships in their time in various plaes but I thought it was a bit back handed.

But when I heard Holmgren refer to Cleveland and the Browns as 'they' yesterday on the way home it sent up some red flags.

Just wondered what others thought of him saying he didn't plan on spending 10 years here and that he wanted to get an organization in place so "they" can feel good about where the organization is.

Is it much ado about nothing or is it a clear sign that Holmgren isn't fully invested in this gig and this franchise?

We can be a bit....umm...defensive about our teams and town so I understand getting in the car and hearing nothing but this stuff on the radio. Does it matter at all if Holmgren leaves us with Heckert and a foundation (that's IF for those wanting to talk about the state of the team today which this thread isn't about)?

I think he made a mistake in the words he chose. And the 'face' of the franchise, especially with an absentee owner who doesn't seem to care, shouldn't go down that road IMO.

End of the day, IMO, it makes no difference if the team improves and progresses but in the short term he just made a bad situation worse.

Wow. Living in Houston I'm not up on the latest controversy. Link to a podcast from the Seattle station?

I am so demoralized at this point that I am too numb to be shocked. But I am pretty fucking far from OK. Like this guy is doing us some type of favor?

Well, if that's truly his attitude, and we don't receive some type of explanation or clarifiction, then fuck him and his shitty HC selection and his WCO. He can take them and his fat fucking ass and go coach the Dolphins.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:40 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I was a bit taken a back when Holmgren eschewed the Cleveland media and talked to a guy on Seattle radio given all that's going on here with this franchise. Not completely bothered because dudes develop media relationships in their time in various plaes but I thought it was a bit back handed.

Wow. Living in Houston I'm not up on the latest controversy. Link to a podcast from the Seattle station?

I am so demoralized at this point that I am too numb to be shocked. But I am pretty fucking far from OK. Like this guy is doing us some type of favor?

Well, if that's truly his attitude, and we don't receive some type of explanation or clarifiction, then fuck him and his shitty HC selection and his WCO. He can take them and his fat fucking ass and go coach the Dolphins.

http://bit.ly/ndbrjl The audio link is in that article.

On how long Holmgren plans on staying in his current position: “It’s hard to tell for sure, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be 10 years. We still have our home in Seattle. And like I said, the kids are there, the grandkids are there. And I don’t think they are going to be moving anywhere too soon. So our vision is to kind of get back to that area at some point. Exactly when that is (I don’t know). I would like to see improvement here and lay the foundation here so they can feel good about their team again before I make any changes at all.”

Incidentally, he is speaking at 1pm today to the Cleveland media from what I hear. Not a formal press conference but whatever....

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:46 pm

I honestly don't know what to think or feel about what he said. But Matt's staement that it seems like he thinks he's doing us a favor instead of his job rings true.

Maybe I'm being irrational, but I would expect someone who is getting paid $50mil to basically hire a GM and a coach to be pouring his heart and soul into this. This is not a few year consulting gig for pocket change. I wish he sounded more invested.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:14 pm

SD:

Drunks can't help but tell their true feelings , its why sooooo many peeps used to get fired after those dreaded office parties that corporations just don't relish throwing anymore because of the risk of lawsuits DUI 's and such caused by alcohol,
much less the collateral damage suffered when firing your drunk office personnel , who have said much too much.

So yeah a slob drunk with his own power just told ya how he really feels .

$50 million to sit on your fat ass and do nothing but play Randies quisling is just so boring ..

Let them stoopid asses eat Cake , , they'll be happy .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:
On how long Holmgren plans on staying in his current position: “It’s hard to tell for sure, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be 10 years. We still have our home in Seattle. And like I said, the kids are there, the grandkids are there. And I don’t think they are going to be moving anywhere too soon. So our vision is to kind of get back to that area at some point. Exactly when that is (I don’t know). I would like to see improvement here and lay the foundation here so they can feel good about their team again before I make any changes at all.”

Incidentally, he is speaking at 1pm today to the Cleveland media from what I hear. Not a formal press conference but whatever....

"They", meaning the fans. You know, the fucking insane group of bridge jumpers that will just lose their shit if Holmgren doesn't march forward and soothe their souls. I wouldn't want to associate with them either if I were Mike (or me).

Lerner is the owner who doesn't really want the responsibility of being owner, so he made Holmgren the de facto owner. Holmgren is the president who doesn't really want the responsibility of being president, so he made Heckert the de facto president.

So maybe Holmgren wants to quit and retire in the Pacific Northwest (who could blame him?). What does he actually do, anyway? Heckert is the one that really runs things. Holmgren himself has done exactly this:

1. Hired Heckert (good move).
2. Insisted on drafting Colt McCoy (questionable move).
3. Hired Shurmur (still way up in the air but looks bad right now).

So if he leaves and leaves the team to Heckert, I'm not sure what's lost. Except maybe McCoy and Shurmur, who weren't Heckert choices.

It is clear that Holmgren is just a well-paid figurehead that is already in semi-retirement. The only real benefit he can bring to this team is to step up and coach it. Otherwise, stay, go, doesn't matter much to me. He can be a figurehead from a house on the Puget Sound too.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:32 pm

They played some of this interview this morning on tRBS and to me it sounded as if "they" was referring to Browns fans. There were a few times when he spoke of the team as "we". What he said not that big of a deal to me.

Maybe a bigger deal that he did a long interview with a Seattle station before addressing our local media with all that's gone on lately.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:35 pm

idoctribefan wrote:They played some of this interview this morning on tRBS and to me it sounded as if "they" was referring to Browns fans. There were a few times when he spoke of the team as "we". What he said not that big of a deal to me.

Maybe a bigger deal that he did a long interview with a Seattle station before addressing our local media with all that's gone on lately.

I believe that he's been going on that show regularly in Seattle for years and years now b/c the guy's his friend. Him doing that show is hardly a new thing.
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:37 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

"They", meaning the fans. You know, the fucking insane group of bridge jumpers that will just lose their shit if Holmgren doesn't march forward and soothe their souls. I wouldn't want to associate with them either if I were Mike (or me).

Lerner is the owner who doesn't really want the responsibility of being owner, so he made Holmgren the de facto owner. Holmgren is the president who doesn't really want the responsibility of being president, so he made Heckert the de facto president.

So maybe Holmgren wants to quit and retire in the Pacific Northwest (who could blame him?). What does he actually do, anyway? Heckert is the one that really runs things. Holmgren himself has done exactly this:

1. Hired Heckert (good move).
2. Insisted on drafting Colt McCoy (questionable move).
3. Hired Shurmur (still way up in the air but looks bad right now).

So if he leaves and leaves the team to Heckert, I'm not sure what's lost. Except maybe McCoy and Shurmur, who weren't Heckert choices.

It is clear that Holmgren is just a well-paid figurehead that is already in semi-retirement. The only real benefit he can bring to this team is to step up and coach it. Otherwise, stay, go, doesn't matter much to me. He can be a figurehead from a house on the Puget Sound too.

Agree on all of that.

And in fact, I HATE when people say "we" when speaking of the Browns or their sports teams. I.E.- "We need to win this game today" or "We kicked their asses last time we played".

But Holmgren, reluctantly or not, IS part of the organization. He is "we" and has the right and maybe the obligation to speak on the organization's behalf and represent the thoughts and hopes of the fans (IMO).

And if he doesn't want to associate with 'them' that's fine too. If that's the case then shut the fuck up. But going on Seattle radio and talking doesn't help him or the organization in any way. Shutting up and shutting down is fine. But why talk Cleveland football in Seattle and not in Cleveland?

That was a bad move and opened up another can of shit. Obviously. If nothing else it caused him a headache he could have avoided and one he could have saved those of us who can't avoid it on the radio, at the water cooler, etc.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Some Guy Transcribing Holmgren wrote:On how long Holmgren plans on staying in his current position: “It’s hard to tell for sure, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to be 10 years. We still have our home in Seattle. And like I said, the kids are there, the grandkids are there. And I don’t think they are going to be moving anywhere too soon. So our vision is to kind of get back to that area at some point. Exactly when that is (I don’t know). I would like to see improvement here and lay the foundation here so they can feel good about their team again before I make any changes at all.

^Preferred boldfacing.

If Holmgren thought it was going to take 10 years to see improvement and lay a foundation we could feel good about, that'd probably be more worrisome. If he plans to stay around until he sees improvement and lays a foundation we can feel good about, that's fine with me, and I'll sincerely thank him for his improving and foundation-laying on his way out.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby General » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Understanding that owning an NFL team is a license to steal, how well off would the franchise be if Jammies sells to someone who actually gives a crap, like maybe Gilbert or even Swerb. :hide:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:41 pm

hiko wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:They played some of this interview this morning on tRBS and to me it sounded as if "they" was referring to Browns fans. There were a few times when he spoke of the team as "we". What he said not that big of a deal to me.

I believe that he's been going on that show regularly in Seattle for years and years now b/c the guy's his friend. Him doing that show is hardly a new thing.

Again, there are plenty of media people here who would serve him softballs and paint him in the best light. It would be the right move from a PR standpoint regardless of whether he has a buddy in Seattle. It's worrisome to me that he doesn't either understand that or doesn't care.

I don't care what he says. I don't care if he says anything. But saying something and saying it there instead of here is just not a smart move.

I care about the guy in charge making smart moves.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:51 pm

peeker643 wrote:Agree on all of that.

And in fact, I HATE when people say "we" when speaking of the Browns or their sports teams. I.E.- "We need to win this game today" or "We kicked their asses last time we played".

But Holmgren, reluctantly or not, IS part of the organization. He is "we" and has the right and maybe the obligation to speak on the organization's behalf and represent the thoughts and hopes of the fans (IMO).

And if he doesn't want to associate with 'them' that's fine too. If that's the case then shut the fuck up. But going on Seattle radio and talking doesn't help him or the organization in any way. Shutting up and shutting down is fine. But why talk Cleveland football in Seattle and not in Cleveland?

That was a bad move and opened up another can of shit. Obviously. If nothing else it caused him a headache he could have avoided and one he could have saved those of us who can't avoid it on the radio, at the water cooler, etc.

I have no idea where in that quote by Holmgren you got where he doesn't associate with the team. He referred to them as "we", which he can do since he's head of that organization.

This sentence

I would like to see improvement here and lay the foundation here so they can feel good about their team again before I make any changes at all

clearly refers to the fans. Which he isn't one of. He doesn't identify with them, and shouldn't. We're talking about a group of people that - as a whole - are freaking out about the context of the word "they" and complaining that he said this completely innocuous thing on a Seattle show that he does on a regular basis.

There are definitely things that people can complain about, but this interview? Give me a fucking break. (Which is probably exactly what Holmgren is saying to himself this morning).
hiko

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:56 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:

Again, there are plenty of media people here who would serve him softballs and paint him in the best light. It would be the right move from a PR standpoint regardless of whether he has a buddy in Seattle. It's worrisome to me that he doesn't either understand that or doesn't care.

I don't care what he says. I don't care if he says anything. But saying something and saying it there instead of here is just not a smart move.

I care about the guy in charge making smart moves.

Why should he have to stop doing his friend's radio show that he's done for years? Because the Cleveland fans are insecure?

Personally, I don't understand either. Nor do I care.

Holmgren knows as well as anyone else that the best PR is winning. If you aren't winning, every little thing is blown way the fuck out of proportion. If you are winning, you can go on a radio show in Iran and call for the death of all "Crusaders" and "Infedels" and 95% of Cleveland will defend you.
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:06 pm

hiko wrote:Why should he have to stop doing his friend's radio show that he's done for years? Because the Cleveland fans are insecure?

No one says he has to stop at all. But going on there when he's been asked to go on here is bad form when you work here and te lemmings here pay your salary (or make it possible anyway).

Christ, he went in front of the media today. Why? Had he done that last week there wouldn't be anyone, right or wrong, saying shit about it.

It was dumb. It was a move that anyone could have seen causing more ripples here. Why do that when it was foreseeable? Call it dumb, call it nothing, call it disrespectful, call it whatever. But it made waves here whether you want to acknowledge it or not when it was avoidable.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:09 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:Why should he have to stop doing his friend's radio show that he's done for years? Because the Cleveland fans are insecure?

No one says he has to stop at all. But going on there when he's been asked to go on here is bad form when you work here and te lemmings here pay your salary (or make it possible anyway).

Christ, he went in front of the media today. Why? Had he done that last week there wouldn't be anyone, right or wrong, saying shit about it.

It was dumb. It was a move that anyone could have seen causing more ripples here. Why do that when it was foreseeable? Call it dumb, call it nothing, call it disrespectful, call it whatever. But it made waves here whether you want to acknowledge it or not when it was avoidable.

I acknowledge it made waves.

Whether or not he should have known going on that show would make the waves they did - or if he should care - is debatable in my eyes.
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:13 pm

Interesting....

twithersAP Tom Withers
Holmgren expects Browns to hire an offensive coordinator next season. Will be evaluated at end of season.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:16 pm

hiko wrote:I acknowledge it made waves.

Whether or not he should have known going on that show would make the waves they did - or if he should care - is debatable in my eyes.

Well, I am not a smart man. And the second I heard it I knew it was going to make waves. Anyone with any connection to this team and fan base, be it media, fans or whatever, should have known in this climate it was going to make waves.

Right or wrong, the small craft advisory was there to be seen by all.

Just my $0.02

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Well, I am not a smart man. And the second I heard it I knew it was going to make waves. Anyone with any connection to this team and fan base, be it media, fans or whatever, should have known in this climate it was going to make waves.

Just my $0.02

Which goes back to my "not caring" argument.

With this team and this fan base and this climate, everything makes waves. You say something, it makes waves. You don't say anything, it makes waves. You say it to the wrong person, in the wrong context, in the wrong tone, wearing the wrong shirt or the wrong hat, it makes waves.

Sports and sports media is big business now, and with that you get the good and the bad. The bad being the kind of scrutiny which makes the Kardashians jealous.

If you're Mike Holmgren and your team is losing, there is no right way to walk this tightrope. Best you can do is not give a fuck what the fans think and do the best job you can to build a winner. That's the only thing that'll shut them up anyway.
hiko

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:26 pm

peeker643 wrote:Interesting....

twithersAP Tom Withers
Holmgren expects Browns to hire an offensive coordinator next season. Will be evaluated at end of season.

Very.

Pitching my Andy Reid for OC campaign. (Go whomever plays Philly!)
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:36 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Just my $0.02

Which goes back to my "not caring" argument.

With this team and this fan base and this climate, everything makes waves. You say something, it makes waves. You don't say anything, it makes waves. You say it to the wrong person, in the wrong context, in the wrong tone, wearing the wrong shirt or the wrong hat, it makes waves.

Sports and sports media is big business now, and with that you get the good and the bad. The bad being the kind of scrutiny which makes the Kardashians jealous.

If you're Mike Holmgren and your team is losing, there is no right way to walk this tightrope. Best you can do is not give a fuck what the fans think and do the best job you can to build a winner. That's the only thing that'll shut them up anyway.

Fair enough. I have no real interest in what he says either. I honestly don't. Almost all of these guys are masters at talking w/o saying anything. But he just made it more difficult on himself going the route he did IMO. If he wants to stay out of it and let Shurmur speak for the club then do that. If he wants to talk about the Browns I think he should do so with the Cleveland media first and then take care of his buddies in Seattle or wherever.

It's just better from a PR standpoint. No. Not as good as wins, but just smarter if you're asking me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:37 pm

twithersAP Tom Withers
Holmgren said he would be willing to stay beyond his 5-year contract. "I believe with all my heart we are headed in the right direction."
9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:
twithersAP Tom Withers
Holmgren said he would be willing to stay beyond his 5-year contract. "I believe with all my heart we are headed in the right direction."

Well, that's nice of him, but I'm pretty sure that if he hasn't achieved some success by the end of his 5 year contract, most people won't want him to stay.

I guess it's good that it shows that he's dedicated or whatever, but, like I said before, I'm not sure how much he does anyway (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, since I'd much rather have Heckert handling the personnel stuff).
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:46 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
twithersAP Tom Withers

Well, that's nice of him, but I'm pretty sure that if he hasn't achieved some success by the end of his 5 year contract, most people won't want him to stay.

I guess it's good that it shows that he's dedicated or whatever, but, like I said before, I'm not sure how much he does anyway (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, since I'd much rather have Heckert handling the personnel stuff).

Meh, that was damage control when he said he wouldn't likely be around 10 years from now. Wouldn't expect a 63 yr old to be around in his early 70's anyway but I think it clearly points out that he's aware of the effect his comments on Seattle radio may have had here in terms of people wondering about his 'commitment'.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
twithersAP Tom Withers

Meh, that was damage control when he said he wouldn't likely be around 10 years from now. Wouldn't expect a 63 yr old to be around in his early 70's anyway but I think it clearly points out that he's aware of the effect his comments on Seattle radio may have had here in terms of people wondering about his 'commitment'.

I would guess you're right. I was just trying to say that no one cares if he's willing to stay (whether or not he really is) beyond 5 years if he hasn't already gotten it done by then.
hiko

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:09 pm

hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
hiko wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
twithersAP Tom Withers

I would guess you're right. I was just trying to say that no one cares if he's willing to stay (whether or not he really is) beyond 5 years if he hasn't already gotten it done by then.

No quote from Withers but Holmgren also said that it took him 5 years in both Green Bay and Seattle before he believed the team had a proper foundation and was able to proceed successfully in the years afterward.

I guess if you look at his record in each place that looks about right. He advised it took 5 years to build the Seahawks but an additional year or two to find the right QB.

Don't kill the messenger. :hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:30 pm

He went to Seattle to get away from all the rain in NEO.

Holmgren could very well be an over rated NFL exec when this is all said & done. So Mike do us a favor, get this thing fixed and move on ASAP.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:No quote from Withers but Holmgren also said that it took him 5 years in both Green Bay and Seattle before he believed the team had a proper foundation and was able to proceed successfully in the years afterward.

I guess if you look at his record in each place that looks about right. He advised it took 5 years to build the Seahawks but an additional year or two to find the right QB.

Don't kill the messenger. :hide:

That's a long damn time to get things "started".

Let's see his first 5 years elsewhere:

GB
1992: 9-7
1993: 9-7 (1-1 playoffs)
1994: 9-7 (1-1 playoffs)
1995: 11-5 (2-1 playoffs)
1996: 13-3 (SB Champs)

SEA
1999: 9-7 (0-1 playoffs)
2000: 6-10
2001: 9-7
2002: 7-9
2003: 10-6 (0-1 playoffs)

I can't imagine he was talking about GB as taking 5 years to build a foundation. Seattle, maybe. They won the division for 4 straight years after his 5th year, but other than the SB year, they don't seem to have been overly better after the 5th year than they were before.
hiko

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Is it foolish to think that Walrus after this season is all said and done, goes "You know what? fuck this", and dives into being HC?

I kinda still see that as the possibility, and Shurmer being pretty much the scapegoat.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Having a "Football Man" with great pedigree, and a history of coaching teams to Super Bowls come in and be the President/Czar of the whole organization, in order to "right the ship" worked great for Miami.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Triple-S wrote:Is it foolish to think that Walrus after this season is all said and done, goes "You know what? fuck this", and dives into being HC?

I kinda still see that as the possibility, and Shurmer being pretty much the scapegoat.

SD:

Well Shurmur struck first and put the bullseye on Homies Pet , and thus Homgren himself.

Chicken salad or chicken shit , I didn't buy either ingredient.

"""Colt has to play better """

Classic

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby hiko » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Govbarney wrote:Having a "Football Man" with great pedigree, and a history of coaching teams to Super Bowls come in and be the President/Czar of the whole organization, in order to "right the ship" worked great for Miami.

And therefore, since it didn't work in Miami, it cannot possibly ever work anywhere at anytime.
hiko

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL