Text Size

The 19th Hole

What putter do you use?

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

What putter do you use?

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm one of those nuts that is constantly changing putters.

I've never been a great putter, and have always been a better ball striker than short game player. I've putted slightly better this year, almost solely because I'm now making the vast majority of my putts from 4-6 feet.

But I never hit those 8-20 footers we all get many chances at per round. And I still three jack at least 2-3 times a round, and could easily shave 4-5 strokes per round off my score if I could ever evolve into an above average putter like many of the guys I play with.

I was using a Wilson knock off of the weighted White Hot for most of the year, and have been switching back and forth with that and a Single Ball knockoff. Couple others as well. My boss and buddy I work with both use Two Balls that I use from time to time and have always liked.

However, I shortened my swing this year. I've always felt more comfortable with heavier putters (even using lead tape at one time), but as I try and refine, shorten, and tighten my putting stroke ... have been more comfortable with my lighter putter.

I've been trying and thinking of trying (buying) a sleek single blade a la Tiger & Phil. Maybe one of the lighter Oddysey putters.

What do you swing? Any advice?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:44 pm

I went back to using the same Bullseye I had in high school. You know what happened? Nothing, I putted the same. I am convinced that as long as the weight of your club feels good in your hands and in your swing, then you are fine.

Focus on your stroke not your hardware. How much time do you really spend putting during your practice? How often do you actually hit your "reads/lines?" How accurate are your reads? I personally think that if Tiger used my bullseye for 6 months, it would not impact his putting much once he got used to it. Just like I am sure that tiger could still probably hit my Dad's circa 1970 wilson irons well enough to break par.

I say spend more time putting and less time shopping. Nothing I love more then when you pick up the random fourth for your group (with the $1100 set of irons) and then watch him shoot 110. Don't be that guy. I take pride in my embarassingly old putter because I still out putt most of my friends (while they are making fun of the Bullseye). Now if only I could apply that mentality to my chipping/pitching!
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby S4Aero » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Mine is a Positive Putter C-2. Generally I am a very good putter. I make a fair amount of "no-brainers", and very rarely 3-putt. (Now I wish I hadn't said that out loud!) It is a strange looking club, but sets up perfectly for a pendulum stroke.

The funny thing about the putter is how it came to reside in my bag. Probably 20 years ago, my mother saw it in a catalog and gave it to me for Christmas. While grateful (of course), my head is screaming "How the hell can someone buy a putter for someone else from a catalog?"

Twenty years later, it's the only club that hasn't changed at least twice.
S4Aero

Unread postby jd jr » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:30 pm

the seemore putter it has a training device built in and really has changed my stroke. last year i tried 10 differnt puttrers and this one is the best
jd jr

Unread postby yogi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:48 pm

Odessey.

I like the feel. When I'm on, I'm a pretty decent putter. Maybe the stringest part of my game. (which isn't really saying much!)
yogi
Jersey Accent

Return to The 19th Hole