Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Al Davis passes

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Al Davis passes

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:40 am

Love him or hate him, you have to respect him as a pioneer.

http://www.raiders.com/
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Al Dvis passes

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:24 am

Moment of silence..

Ok, so what this means is there now one less FO which is more inept than the Browns. Only the Bengals remain.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:52 am

At least they can get the "Win one for the Gipper" game out of their system this week.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am

The Raiders clubhouse in the 70's must have been awesome. Liquor, whores, and punch bowls full of pills.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Al Davis passes

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:55 pm

At least we had 20 years to get ready for this day since his relevance and common sense died about then.

Someone mentioned he was a pioneer. I think he literally may have been a pioneer.

But yeah, helped revolutionize the game and a critical factor in the merger decades back which resulted in what we have today. Just hate seeing people publicly go batshit crazy like that.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Why are you guys posting in a 15 year old thread?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Why are you guys posting in a 15 year old thread?

SD:

Contrary to your mindset there was football going on for many a damn year before you were even thought about.

Al Davis represents an era when football was played by true gladiators and his influence innovation and contributions are that of a founding father of the modern day NFL.

An Icon and a true legend in his own time who deserves more respect than some shitty little diddy by you.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:10 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

Contrary to your mindset there was football going on for many a damn year before you were even thought about.

Al Davis represents an era when football was played by true gladiators and his influence innovation and contributions are that of a founding father of the modern day NFL.

An Icon and a true legend in his own time who deserves more respect than some shitty little diddy by you.

SoulDawg

While I'm not at all convinced you understood my post, I will apologize for offending your tender sensibilities. It was unintentional. But I know how sensitive and emotional you are so, again, I'm sorry.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:14 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:Al Davis represents an era when football was played by true gladiators and his influence innovation and contributions are that of a founding father of the modern day NFL.

He did make the eyeglass-holding string super cool. And he invented hashmarks. He also played a key role in being old.

Truly an innovator.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm

I wish i could go back to about 73 BC, when gladiators were played by true gladiators...... Al Davis was probably there too.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Believeland » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Do you think his eulogy will be aided by an overhead projector?
Believeland

Favorite Player: Joey Belle
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Unfortunately Hiko, I think their 'win one for the gipper' mentality will remain because they'll be playing in Oakland for the first time w/o him next week.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:44 am

peeker643 wrote:At least we had 20 years to get ready for this day since his relevance and common sense died about then.

Someone mentioned he was a pioneer. I think he literally may have been a pioneer.

But yeah, helped revolutionize the game and a critical factor in the merger decades back which resulted in what we have today. Just hate seeing people publicly go batshit crazy like that.

SD:

I dunno Peeks , Yep Als meddling seemed to hold back the Raiduhs , but his philosophy is one that has endured for 5 decades and turned full circle with todays rules in favor of the offense.

Today you have millionaires and billionaires who struck it rich via the web or games or the some sort of internet fad , who stil have pimples on their faces and live in their muthas's basement like mother CDT and Erie Warrior.

While Al Davis started as an assistant coach became head coach , owner commissioner of the league(AFL ) for the puppies , and was the impetus behind the merger that formed modern day football.

His teams won Championships over multiple eras , and his teams were a melting pot of progress far ahead of the stagnant society in which he operated.

He was a self made man , and deserves more respect from a fuckin peanut gallery whose call to fame is they can play with themselves with either hand and not miss a stroke of condescending arrogance.

YMMV

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:At least we had 20 years to get ready for this day since his relevance and common sense died about then.

SD:

I dunno Peeks , Yep Als meddling seemed to hold back the Raiduhs , but his philosophy is one that has endured for 5 decades and turned full circle with todays rules in favor of the offense.

Today you have millionaires and billionaires who struck it rich via the web or games or the some sort of internet fad , who stil have pimples on their faces and live in their muthas's basement like mother CDT and Erie Warrior.

While Al Davis started as an assistant coach became head coach , owner commissioner of the league(AFL ) for the puppies , and was the impetus behind the merger that formed modern day football.

His teams won Championships over multiple eras , and his teams were a melting pot of progress far ahead of the stagnant society in which he operated.

He was a self made man , and deserves more respect from a fuckin peanut gallery whose call to fame is they can play with themselves with either hand and not miss a stroke of condescending arrogance.

YMMV

SoulDawg

Maybe so. But you know how I am. I'm not one to give reverency in death when I wouldn't give it in life. Had Davis died 20 years ago I'd agree with you whole heartedly. But he was also a man who "Art Modelled" the Bay area once and threatened to do it again. They may not be us but that's a fan base that's passionate and has always supported the team he took from them.

He's also become a guy who was a dissenter for dissension sake as opposed to principles. It got so he complained or abstained on every single issue and that was a nod to his own Lone Wolf legacy as opposed to anything else.

Interested to see how his lack of a football-related succession plan affects this team. His son looks like Bucky Larson and his wife looks to be in worse shape than Al. It'll be sad and funny to see them, Carol Trask and maybe John Madden sitting in the Raiders war room next April.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:00 am

It's awesome that the same guy can call Tony Dungy a pussy in one thread and then immediately jump over to this thread and lay into me for making an "Al Davis was old" joke (that was truthfully not really original or clever) and not showing the proper respect or some such muddled shit.

Apparently Al Davis deserves all of the respect and Dungy none of it. Unless Tony bites it this week, I guess.

Who knew?

Edit: Acutually, screw that. "Al Davis was old" jokes aren't original, but my method of delivery was insipired and, frankly, fuckin' hilarious. I'm very clever.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:46 pm

motherscratcher wrote:It's awesome that the same guy can call Tony Dungy a pussy in one thread and then immediately jump over to this thread and lay into me for making an "Al Davis was old" joke (that was truthfully not really original or clever) and not showing the proper respect or some such muddled shit.

Apparently Al Davis deserves all of the respect and Dungy none of it. Unless Tony bites it this week, I guess.

Who knew?

Edit: Acutually, screw that. "Al Davis was old" jokes aren't original, but my method of delivery was insipired and, frankly, fuckin' hilarious. I'm very clever.

SD:

Tony dungy is a pussy , yes your clever , feel better.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

YMMV

SoulDawg

Maybe so. But you know how I am. I'm not one to give reverency in death when I wouldn't give it in life. Had Davis died 20 years ago I'd agree with you whole heartedly. But he was also a man who "Art Modelled" the Bay area once and threatened to do it again. They may not be us but that's a fan base that's passionate and has always supported the team he took from them.

He's also become a guy who was a dissenter for dissension sake as opposed to principles. It got so he complained or abstained on every single issue and that was a nod to his own Lone Wolf legacy as opposed to anything else.

Interested to see how his lack of a football-related succession plan affects this team. His son looks like Bucky Larson and his wife looks to be in worse shape than Al. It'll be sad and funny to see them, Carol Trask and maybe John Madden sitting in the Raiders war room next April.

SD:

If Al had had a daughter . she'd still have more balls than the waste that is Al's son .

Unfortunately when you get so old you live to drool on yourself , people forget what you did before that time .

Think Steve Jobs in a Wheel Chair typing memos about the Mac II falling that far if he had lived 20 years beyond where he died .

Al Davis was still more relevant and where he was even greater.

and

The fart analogy doesn't fly , AL didn't sneak the team out in the night , he sought a bigger venue for his same fan base across the bay out of Crack alley .

When they cleaned that cesspool of a stadium sight up , he moved back so his real fans could buy tickets and be at games .

Wish we were playing back at Muni , because i'd take sitting behind a pole and having to piss in a sink while standing ankle deep in water over CBS everyday of the week and twice on Sundays .

Back then wasn't no urine invasion of our Homestand and fuckin police would pass the cold ones, instead of tossing you on your ear for standing up and cheering or whuppin Sheeler ass when they got out of line .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:11 pm

I thought this was funny.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby hiko » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:02 am

LakeErieWarriors wrote:Unfortunately Hiko, I think their 'win one for the gipper' mentality will remain because they'll be playing in Oakland for the first time w/o him next week.

Ah, well, you're probably right. It was worth a shot.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Classic piece by Jonathan Knight. "Just Die Baby"

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... t-die-baby
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL