Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Red Sox Meltdown

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Red Sox Meltdown

Unread postby paulcousineau » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/12/red_sox_unity_dedication_dissolved_during_epic_late_season_collapse/?camp=misc:on:twit:rtbutton

I post this link for nothing more than to ask, could the current PD staff ever put together something like that?

I hate that paper.

That's an amazing piece, if anything is remotely close to being true.
A manager possibly addicted to pain pills and in the middle of a divorce with a son in Afghanistan, the top 3 starting pitchers drinking and playing video games in the clubhouse during games, internal sniping and cliques, and a overt mistrust of the owners?
Good God..
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:51 pm

They're looking to blame someone and feel better. Had the Sox made the playoffs, this reporter and all the Red Sox fans would have been fine with Francona shooting heroin in his office and those three pitchers sacrificing animals in the clubhouse during games.

Winning solves everything.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:13 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:They're looking to blame someone and feel better. Had the Sox made the playoffs, this reporter and all the Red Sox fans would have been fine with Francona shooting heroin in his office and those three pitchers sacrificing animals in the clubhouse during games.

Yeah- you said it better than I would have.

Also, wonder if they miss Manny. Not his production, but as a scapegoat.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm

paulcousineau wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/10/12/red_sox_unity_dedication_dissolved_during_epic_late_season_collapse/?camp=misc:on:twit:rtbutton

I post this link for nothing more than to ask, could the current PD staff ever put together something like that?

I hate that paper.

That's an amazing piece, if anything is remotely close to being true.
A manager possibly addicted to pain pills and in the middle of a divorce with a son in Afghanistan, the top 3 starting pitchers drinking and playing video games in the clubhouse during games, internal sniping and cliques, and a overt mistrust of the owners?
Good God..

If you read Gordon Edes' column at ESPN (http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... r-campaign) it implies that not all the Globe article says is exactly accurate. And Pedroia was on WEEI today talking with Glen Ordway and Michael Holley. If you want to listen here ya go: http://audio.weei.com/a/46985481/dustin ... ed-sox.htm (The second comment is golden.) I believe Pedroia referred to the Globe as a tabloid or rag or something. Yeah, they do sensationalize things...

Also, at the bottom of the Edes' article, Nomar rattles off a list of players who have been maligned by Sux management over the decades. We've been here to listen to the spin since 2000 and yes, they do trash talk players and mangers after they leave. Still slammin' Grady Little all these years later. Man I'm even more glad I'm a Tribe fan. It might be an act but the entire organization seems to have each other's backs - here, they stab ya in the back.

WiscTribeFan wrote:They're looking to blame someone and feel better. Had the Sox made the playoffs, this reporter and all the Red Sox fans would have been fine with Francona shooting heroin in his office and those three pitchers sacrificing animals in the clubhouse during games.

And ^that^ is the exact attitude that many other sports reporters and radio talkers have in this town. Nothing was a problem until winning became a problem.

Theo must wear a Teflon suit. Over the past few years he made some questionable player acquisitions. Got Lackey hoping he could return to his best form (in Boston? A real pressure-cooker? With HIS temperament?). Got Crawford from Tampa even though many experts said he couldn't play in a big, bad town like Bahstun. Fell in love with Salty - the guy isn't playing like he did in TX. Lots of money thrown at big names who just don't gel in the clubhouse. Our little group of guys grew up together through much of the minor league system. Talk about a band of baseball brothers!

And finally - don't think I'm not enjoying asking my Sux friends where their team finished in the division...after all, the Tribe finished 2nd.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 pm

I just can't get enough of these stories.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/709 ... se-red-sox
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby TribeNut » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I hate that paper.

You mean take any form of team disunity and blow it up into all-out disfunction? Tony Grossi does that on an annual basis with the Browns.
TribeNut
Late Inning Defensive Replacement

Favorite Player: Lou Marson
Least Favorite Player: Aj Pierzinski

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:08 am

That's what they get for holding their press conferences in an ally behind a bar, with dunkin donuts and red sox bumper stickers randomly stuck up all over the place.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB