Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Pumking Imperial Beer - Southern Tier Brewery

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Pumking Imperial Beer - Southern Tier Brewery

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Anyone hear of this beer or know where to locate a bottle in NE Ohio? I had it as Beer Engine in Lakewood last night and it was the best pumpkin ale I ever had. Now I'm hunting for more! :thumb up:

"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Re: Pumking Imperial Beer - Southern Tier Brewery

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 pm

GreatGoo wrote:Anyone hear of this beer or know where to locate a bottle in NE Ohio? I had it as Beer Engine in Lakewood last night and it was the best pumpkin ale I ever had. Now I'm hunting for more! :thumb up:

I've had it many a years now. Its my go-to pumpkin ale. Most Heinen's grocery stores should have it. Other than that, most places that have a good selection like Rozi's in Lakewood, Chuck's in Chagrin Falls, Reider's Market in Concord, Save-On Tobacco in Mentor, and Discount Beverage on Euclid all will have it. Since you're in Fairview, there should be a Heinen's close by. If not there, I'd try Rozi's, Southland Beverage, Minotti's in Westlake, or Simone's Beverage in Lakewood.
Last edited by RickNashEquilibrium on Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:41 pm

FYI - if you gets some, set an extra bottle or two aside in the fridge or a closet to age for a year or so. Stuff is unreal when given some time to "cook".
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:01 pm

I've been looking for this stuff since this thread popped up. Got one more "go-to" place that should have it.

RNE- can it sit in a fridge and age, or does it have to be at 50 degrees the entire time?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 pm

I don't much care for pumpkin flavored anything.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:58 pm

That is some damn good pumpkin ale. Also a beer I have no access to :thumbdown:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I've been looking for this stuff since this thread popped up. Got one more "go-to" place that should have it.

RNE- can it sit in a fridge and age, or does it have to be at 50 degrees the entire time?

As a general rule of thumb, the cellaring temp for beer should be close to the temp at which the beer is served. Also, consistent temperature might be even more important than the temperature itself. ABV plays a huge part in this. Higher alcohol beers can withstand the test of time and are better stored at 60 degrees or even higher. Lower ABV beers need to be stored below 50 degress so they do not spoil. The below is not scientific, but based on personal history of aging bottled beers. Please note if a bottle is corked, cellaring rather than refrigeration is optimal because a fridge is meant to dehydrate which can kill a cork.

High ABV (9% and up) - 62 to 65 degrees
Medium ABV (7%-9%) 55 to 62 degress FYI 62 only for the top range
Low ABV (Below 7%) well below 55 degrees.

I've aged a number of different beers for various amounts of time and never a one spoiled. I have a 2 year old bottle of Corsendonk Xmas Ale to open on Xmas Eve and a 2 year old bottle of Duvel Special Triple Hop. The best/most interesting beers I've aged were a 1.5 year old bottle of Southern Tier Choklat, 3.5 year old bottle of GLXA, and a year old bottle of Corsendonk Xmas Ale.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby GreatGoo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:32 pm

I have checked 3 places on the westside. All sold out.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:40 pm

GreatGoo wrote:I have checked 3 places on the westside. All sold out.

FYI for next year, Pumpking usually comes out around Labor Day and it only ships for about three weeks. It's usually gone from the stores by Oct. 1 because it's made in such a small batch.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:28 pm

justmebd wrote:FYI for next year, Pumpking usually comes out around Labor Day and it only ships for about three weeks. It's usually gone from the stores by Oct. 1 because it's made in such a small batch.

Not so sure about that. For years I've bought the stuff well into December from a number of stores in Northeast Ohio. I think the limited supply you've run into might have more to do with who's distributing in your area or the total stock the stores you've been to will carry. There are a lot of places on the east side of Cleveland selling it and the coffers have not run dry.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry