Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

The Recipe That Will Change Your Life

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Re: The Recipe That Will Change Your Life

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:With all of the love this has been getting, I can't wait any longer to give it a go, so I figured this weekend is as good a time as any.

Just have one quick question for the experts on this board. I've never cooked with a chianti before, how much does quality matter? Would an $8 bottle suffice, or do I need to throw a little more money towards it?

$10 or so is fine. It's a type of taste and while more expensive may be better I think you're fine with $8-$12 since you're using just a cup or so anyway.

FYI- Merlot works well also if you have that at home or can more easily find it.

Thanks Peeks, appreciate it good sir.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:52 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:With all of the love this has been getting, I can't wait any longer to give it a go, so I figured this weekend is as good a time as any.

Just have one quick question for the experts on this board. I've never cooked with a chianti before, how much does quality matter? Would an $8 bottle suffice, or do I need to throw a little more money towards it?

Don't cook with a wine you would not drink. If you find an $8 bottle of table wine and it tastes good, then go ahead and throw it in the sauce.

Also, don't ever hire a HC without a thorough search process. Wait, what? Sorry, wrong thread.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Don't cook with a wine you would not drink. If you find an $8 bottle of table wine and it tastes good, then go ahead and throw it in the sauce.

That's pretty much why the Merlot for me. Like the taste better than Chianti.

Also, don't ever hire a HC without a thorough search process. Wait, what? Sorry, wrong thread.

Just make sure 'thorough' is defined by chat board users regardless of your personal knowledge of a person or situation as well as the fact it's your profession. Huh? Sorry. Never mind.

:hide: :nanner:

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

$10 or so is fine. It's a type of taste and while more expensive may be better I think you're fine with $8-$12 since you're using just a cup or so anyway.

FYI- Merlot works well also if you have that at home or can more easily find it.

Thanks Peeks, appreciate it good sir.

The old rule is don't cook with something you wouldn't drink!

ETA
Next time I will read the rest of the posts before adding what has already been said...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Speaking of wines for cooking, I went the other day to grab a bottle of red for some pasta sauce. Saw a bottle for sale for $5.50 and because I drink anything I figured I could use it for the sauce and I am a cheap bastard and spend as little as possible when cooking with wine (I only spend the money on the shit that actually gets me drunk or laid).

So anyway I bought a bottle of Crane Lake 2008 Petite Syrah. I was shocked. It was damn good, not just pretty damn good, but legit good. I looked up Crane Lake and wouldnt you know it, it is owned by Bronco Wine Company who owns Charles Shaw (two buck chuck). When I was in Napa they all said that for the most part their wines are garbage, but they also said it is worth poking around because sometimes you hit a gem. What they said was Bronco buys their grapes on the open market from people who have more than they want or need... or end up getting garbage. Apparently this was not their garbage grapes. The people in Napa said sometimes you get lucky and get wine made from grapes of much better wines and wineries. This wine is legit, I am getting a case. Look for it and buy it, you wont be disappointed.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

LOL!
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Pork neck bones ftw.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Orenthal wrote:Pork neck bones ftw.

If you use the entire shank of the pig which is the cut used for osso bucco, you will be in heaven. Like Joe Rogan on acid the minute before getting mauled by a tiger type of heaven.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Orenthal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 am

^Without some sort of bone (and in critical mass) feh to any sauce. BTW sauce was incredibly good, as usual.

ETA - and that little bit of meat that falls off the neck bone after a good 5 hours simmering is like butter.
Orenthal

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Just a point - osso bucco is typically made with veal shank and waaaaay too expensive to use this application.

Pork shank can be used as well and is more economical. You guys are right in that anything is better with pig.
mattvan1

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:52 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Just a point - osso bucco is typically made with veal shank and waaaaay too expensive to use this application.

Pork shank can be used as well and is more economical. You guys are right in that anything is better with pig.

Thanks for that. Sorry for the faux pas. Considering how much I cook (rarely with veal) I should know better. Also, this is how I spend my Saturday mornings:
Attachments
309076_10100995326364905_12411274_67009109_767336272_n.jpg
309076_10100995326364905_12411274_67009109_767336272_n.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby MartyM » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am

Going to make some this Saturday for the son's 5th birthday party with the family.
Official TCF Photographer
http://www.photosbymartyllc.com
http://www.photos_by_marty.fototime.com

Ask me about custom Fatheads

“The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” - V. Lombardi
MartyM

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: PittsPuke

Unread postby Acriumpa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:52 am

General wrote:That is almost exactly like my recipe. I will be brewin up a batch on Christmas morning. Since I am a psycho, I am up at 5AM chefin it up with my wine at the ready, Sinatra, Vale, Martin CD's playin. Beautiful.

:spanky:

Sinatra & Martin <3
Acriumpa

Favorite Player: Colt McCoy
Least Favorite Player: Shawn Lauvao

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 am

Got this recipe going today for a lady friend who's moving to LA in a week. Can't wait to see how it lines up to my sauce (which actually is pretty similar in almost every way). Will post results/thoughts upon tonights results and letting the sauce sit for a day which always makes it better.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:48 pm

What would it take for one of you guys to make a batch of this stuff to fill up 6 jars and ship it to me?

50 bucks?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 pm

^price out the stuff needed. I think I usually spend around that (wine, cheese, San Mar…) and its makes easy those 6 jars. To be honest, it doesn't get much easier than making this sauce. This is cooking 101, just stick to the freshest possible ingredients start simple, and then tinker.
Orenthal

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm

FUDU wrote:What would it take for one of you guys to make a batch of this stuff to fill up 6 jars and ship it to me?

50 bucks?

Wait. You're actually going to trust people on these boards to not put any additional "ingredients" in the sauce they would make for you?
mattvan1

Previous

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry