Text Size

College Sports Arena

Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:21 am

I saw Beau Bishop on ONN saying he's heard whispers of Tony Dungy potentially being an OSU coaching candidate.

Said the whispers have gotten a bit louder.

Thinking about it, with Dungy's rep as a guy with integrity to burn and with the fact he put together some pretty good teams, what would the feeling be from fans of the Buckeye program?

His teams always played hard and smart, he has connections in the Florida football recruiting hotbed, he's a guy parents would love to entrust their kids with and he'd be a guy with clear with NFL luster that potential pros might be drawn to.

Too good to be true?
Why would he want the gig (aside from millions of dollars)?

Thoughts?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:20 pm

I would possibly take Dungy over Meyer. He would be an insane grab from a recruiting standpoint and has the demeanor (MENTOR 4 LIFE) to transition from the Pros to college.

That said I put the odds of this happening at 0%.

Guy seems to truly love his current role as "guy who helps stupid athletes that go to jail" and a family man. Doesn't strike me as the type to give that up for a job that takes even more time than the pros.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I would possibly take Dungy over Meyer. He would be an insane grab from a recruiting standpoint and has the demeanor (MENTOR 4 LIFE) to transition from the Pros to college.

That said I put the odds of this happening at 0%.

Guy seems to truly love his current role as "guy who helps stupid athletes that go to jail" and a family man. Doesn't strike me as the type to give that up for a job that takes even more time than the pros.


I agree. But wondering if Dungy feels like dealing with 100 18-22yr olds every year may be more impactful?

I don't know. I see the lure from a university's standpoint. The integrity and reputation would be huge for OSU about now. The guy has been impeccably portrayed and (lest we forget the Vest) so far rightfully so.

I also wonder about the interest, if any, he would have.

The more you think about him there though, I'd take that over Meyer all day long personally.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Gotta remember that whole "son killed himself and Tony felt like he let his family down by not being around" thing though.

More hours than the pros to be a college HC.

I just don't see it in the realm of reality.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Gotta remember that whole "son killed himself and Tony felt like he let his family down by not being around" thing though.

More hours than the pros to be a college HC.

I just don't see it in the realm of reality.


You think there are more hours in NCAA than NFL coaching life? I'm genuinely asking. I know during the season it's probably a wash. They all work 24/day.

But I don't see the offseason as being a huge amount of time after you close on your recruits. They don't do the leg work on most.

And believe me, I know about the suicide/guilt issue. But I believe his kids are older and grown/gone now and not sure if helping those 100 kids per year+ isn't actually tonic for any lingering guilt.

You're probably dead nuts right on this. Just thought it was a real interesting idea and a really great fit for that program as it currently sits.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:09 pm

I think the recruiting thing makes the "season" longer than the NFL.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:19 pm

My opinion - Dungy is one of the most overrated coaches in recent football history. Everyone forgets he got canned in Tampa for getting rolled in the first round of the playoffs every year with those teams with those amazing defenses.

Gruden comes in and wins the effin SB year #1 with that team. With Brad Freaking Johnson at QB.

Gets to Indy and they get rolled every year by the Pats. One season he wins a couple playoff games and draws Rex Grossman in the SB. Not even Dungy could lose a SB with Peyton Manning v Rex Grossman.

Obviously a good defensive mind. But given how his past teams have perpetually underachieved, his nice guy no cursing love everyone style, and the track record of pro guys coming to college ... you can put me down for a resounding no thanks.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17876
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Let's be real though, The Vest was as average and X's and O's coach as I've ever seen.

I don't even think Pete Caroll could call an offense if he had too.

etc...

Being an "okday" pure football mind is plenty to win in college.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Let's be real though, The Vest was as average and X's and O's coach as I've ever seen.

I don't even think Pete Caroll could call an offense if he had too.

etc...

Being an "okday" pure football mind is plenty to win in college.

Vest could recruit. Lockdown the state of OH, which is the biggest key. Vest could improve the play of the QB position.

And at the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding with the Vest. A championship, 9 Big Ten titles in 10 years, more guys in the pros than anyone. 7 BCS games in 9 years.

We're gonna be crying like little bitches begging for 75% of that standard if we don't absolutely knock this coaching hire outta the park.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17876
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Oh I don't disagree at all, recruiting is what matters.

Vest locked down Ohio and stole a couple national guys a year. Only reason Dungy makes so much sense to me is that IMO, he would be a recruiting Geezes.

Vest recruited damn well and was blessed w/ some blind luck (read Smith, Troy).

I just was never, ever, ever impressed w/ him as a gameday coach. IMO, Dungy and the Vest overlap far more than anyone else that could be brought in.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:18 pm

peeker643 wrote: he's a guy parents would love to entrust their kids with


Given his personal history with that age group, and my apparent macabre mind, I found this part amusing.

I'm a horrible person.

I'm with Swerb though, the most important thing is the recruiting. And maybe he'd be good at it, much like Tressel he has a calm demeanor and would most likely be able to get into kids homes and talk about turning boys into men, and service and community, and be very genuine about it, which I'm sure would appeal to parents. On the other side, as mentioned, he's got some NFL cred that would certainly appeal for the kids. So it's possible he could get into homes, and get some kids.

Still, I'd prefer to have a guy with a track record of actually doing that. No matter how good we think he'd be, there's still some risk. And I don't know that a place like Ohio State takes that risk. Hiring Dungy and hoping he can recruit seems similar to hiring Fickell [because we know he can recruit] and hoping he learns how to manage a team.
Sea Foam Green
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 am
Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:26 pm

And hiring Urban leaves the risk that he walks in two years.

Everyone has risk.

A guy who would be the Vest w/out the being a fraud part would be every bit the recruiter Vest was, that I don't doubt for a second.

Hoping Fickel finds a brain is in an entirely different strasophere and acting as if we "know" he can close the deal as a head coach w/ recruits (especially after trotting an abortion out onto the field for a year) is pretty absurd.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:And hiring Urban leaves the risk that he walks in two years.

Everyone has risk.

I'll take the Urban Meyer walking or dying of an anuerism in two years risk over the risk of hiring a guy that may suck balls.

If Urban croaks in 2015, you just go out and get the next Urban. You are Ohio State. To settle for Luke Fickell, Glen Mason, or some retread pro coach that you got no idea if he can do it ... to me, you don't do that if you're Ohio State. Ohio University? Indiana? You gotta take risks like that.

It's an elite job. I want Calipari, not Billie Gillespie.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17876
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:40 pm

No doubt, I was only using the argument in reference to Dungy v. Urban.

That said, The Vest was a nobody when they brought him in. Wouldn't be shocked if it is more of the same.

I mean christ, they hired and effing 1-AA coach last time they had an opening.

If they keep Fickel on or hire some no-name coordinator (or fucking Glen Mason) I'd set things on fire.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Fair enough, it was a bad comparison.

Still, I don't know that the recruiting is as much a slam dunk as you think given that the man has literally never done it before. I get that its largely personality, and there's not as big a learning curve, as say, managing a team, but still, the board seems to be in somewhat agreement that recruiting is the main thing, and Dungy has never had to. Seems like a bigger risk than others.

And, let me also say, that I'm being pretty nit-picky here. Dungy would be a good hire, I'm just trying to make the point that I think if there is someone out there that has proven success at recruiting and running a team, I think it'd be the less risky hire.
Sea Foam Green
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 am
Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Sure, but the only All-Star 1-A recruiter (and recruiting as OSU is a fairly unique experience) out there may very well not even want to coach (Urban).

I mean it's not like TCU and Boise are recruiting forces.

It's not like Al Golden is going to hit the market YET.

It's not like Gruden has any idea how to.

It's not like Tressel knew the Big Boy 1-A game when he was hired.

Recruiting is what it is and judging by the fact that every athlete that has ever run into Dungy becomes obsessed w/ him makes me think he's on the safer side of that aisle.

I mean Mike Vick considers him a father figure. White people may still hate Vick but EOD, he is a HUGE role model to kids coming up these days. Shit like that sells itself. Then you add in the Tressel talk to mom and dad? I just don't see how he couldn't close whoever he wanted.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby furls » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Couple of things here....

1. I agree, Tressel was an average gameday coach and an above average talent developer. He was an excellent recruiter and an amazing scout. He did a great job of finding "diamonds in the rough," those were his camp offers that generally only had offers from schools like Toledo or OU. Guys like Dane S, Laurinaitis, Hawk, Jenkins etc. He had an incredible knack for identifying great players at his camps, offering them and getting them to sign while leaving the recruiting pundits scratching their heads over the offer.

2. NCAA coaches (at elite programs) work much MUCH MUCH more than NFL coaches. The recruiting season has actually developed into a year long process over the last couple of years. Right now, tOSU coaches are (only theoretically as I have my doubts) trying to maintain their recruits from 2012 from getting poached, trying to close the remaining elite 2012 kids that still have not committed (and will not until February), while actually primarily focusing on the 2013 recruits that are establishing their early favorites and they are looking at 2014 for the kids that they are going to be inviting to their advanced camps this summer. (none of this even considers the alumni fundraisers, 18-22year old babysitting and compliance requirements).

3. NCAA coaching is not the same thing as NFL coaching. You are developing a very rough product at the NCAA level, whereas NFL coaches are "polishing the cannonball." It takes a special kind of patience, one that I think Dungy has. That said, the X's and O's are totally different. NCAA players make a ton of mistakes (that is what makes the game exciting) and the offensive schemes of pray on those mistakes (that is why Mike Leach is not an NFL OC). Being a successful coach at one level does not make you successful at the other.

4. I take Meyer over Dungy any day because he knows the ins and outs of this industry already. He has the inroads in OH recruiting, he knows about alumni and the pitfalls of NCAA compliance. He has dealt with 18 year olds on a college campus (arrest record not withstanding). OH has more than enough talent to make tOSU a dominant force in the NCAA (Tressel proved that) and if add Meyer's coaching/gamecalling.... it is an absolute homerun (even if his heart explodes in 3 years). Meyer's arrival at tOSU changes everything immediately. Even the now pretty much recruiting class of 2012 gets retooled, Meyer's arrival probably drops 3 more blue chips in that class between Dec and Feb.

5. The rumblings about Meyer coming to tOSU that started the day Tressel got hired have escalated to a dull roar. In the summer, Fickell had every chance of holding onto this job, but that has changed. There is no way he is tOSU's coach next year (take that to the bank), and the Meyer rumors are appearing to be much more than that. I have heard and read that some people close to the university have approached him and that he has shown enough interest to inspire a future dialog. Personally, I think it is about 80% likely that Meyer is announced as the future head coach before the OSU bowl game (if there is one).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6404
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Furls- just for the sake of discussion, have you heard Dungy's name mentioned in regard to the Buckeye job at all? More than just passing rumors and more of a lean toward them being at all interested?

I'd like to know if Dan would weigh in as well.

Honestly, the game day experience of Meyer (and not a MAC or 1AA coach) would be great. And I understand Swerb's point regarding Dungy's NFL history.

No one's tomorrow is guaranteed so the Meyer health issues don't concern me as much as the fact I've heard and read he walked away as much due to NCAA compliance crap concerns as he did for health reasons.

You have to say though, the Buckeye's national image would be helped by either (moreso Dungy IMO). And I think Dungy would be better than Tressel on game day despite the games and talent being different.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Honestly I won't cry if either comes to town.

I don't see either coming and think this is all a bunch of wishful smoke from OSU fans. Urban and Dungy end up staying at home, IMO and we end up w/ some fuckstick that we pray turns into the next Vest.

Although I would really like a better gameday coach. Fucking eh he sucked against elite competition.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Great link from Dan. Penn St would be scary:

http://bit.ly/pzoCrk
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:43 pm

BTW: the day that OSU hires a under the radar meh guy I'll be glued to this forum. Between the homers (led by CDT) screaming to have faith and those w/ high expectations wanting to burn the school down it will be the most awesome day ever on the internet.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Ha, I've spent most of the day arguing about that article w/ PSU alumns.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Ha, I've spent most of the day arguing about that article w/ PSU alumns.


You don't see PSU as a potential Meyer destination?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Ohio State doesn't need to hire a name coach to keep its fans. They'll be getting 100K a game down there every week and have the attention of the entire state no matter who is coach. They need to make sure that coach is tied into Ohio recruiting. That's what fed the Buckeyes under Tressel's tenure.

No way it will be Dungy. Why would he leave that cush job in the NBC studio to take over OSU? He has one year of college coaching experience more than 30 years ago. This is the first I've heard anyone tie his name to OSU. Hopefully the last.

Gotta think Chris Petersen from Boise State would be tops on anyone's list. Don't know his contract situation, but isn't his QB done after this year? Maybe the getting's good for him. As for recruiting, if he can bring 'em to Boise, he can bring 'em anywhere.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:14 pm

If OSU avoids harsh sanctions, no.

I also think canning Smith combined w/ no harsh sanctions would make Urban 100% an OSU lock if he comes back.

I also don't think Urban is coming back, but that is just a gut feeling and nothing more.

That article was fantastic though, pointing out that OSU booed that abortion of a football game. Christ if I were there it would have been either ripping my own eyes out or booing and the later is less painful.

One of the guys I've been arguing w/ points out that OSU is very SEC like in terms of administration and boosters paying people (claims to have inside knowledge and he is the former editor of SLAM so he knows peeps). PSU is clinging to OSU being "just another SEC team" and that pushing Meyer there. I don't know if I buy it, but meh.

PSU is my 2nd favorite program, but it's just not OSU and it doesn't fulfill Meyer's dreams.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:16 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Ohio State doesn't need to hire a name coach to keep its fans. They'll be getting 100K a game down there every week and have the attention of the entire state no matter who is coach. They need to make sure that coach is tied into Ohio recruiting. That's what fed the Buckeyes under Tressel's tenure.

No way it will be Dungy. Why would he leave that cush job in the NBC studio to take over OSU? He has one year of college coaching experience more than 30 years ago. This is the first I've heard anyone tie his name to OSU. Hopefully the last.

Gotta think Chris Petersen from Boise State would be tops on anyone's list. Don't know his contract situation, but isn't his QB done after this year? Maybe the getting's good for him. As for recruiting, if he can bring 'em to Boise, he can bring 'em anywhere.



Uhm, if Tressel didn't come out and beat scUM that first year his legacy could have wound up VERY different.

People need to realize this fact.

Fans are already booing Fickel, is they hire a nobody and struggles next year then loses to scUM it will be blood. Especially concerning legal booster/alumni money.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:16 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Ohio State doesn't need to hire a name coach to keep its fans. They'll be getting 100K a game down there every week and have the attention of the entire state no matter who is coach. They need to make sure that coach is tied into Ohio recruiting. That's what fed the Buckeyes under Tressel's tenure.

No way it will be Dungy. Why would he leave that cush job in the NBC studio to take over OSU? He has one year of college coaching experience more than 30 years ago. This is the first I've heard anyone tie his name to OSU. Hopefully the last.

Gotta think Chris Petersen from Boise State would be tops on anyone's list. Don't know his contract situation, but isn't his QB done after this year? Maybe the getting's good for him. As for recruiting, if he can bring 'em to Boise, he can bring 'em anywhere.


Fine with the recruiting angle and the college inexperience but if you can't find five coaches in 10 seconds who went from the booth back to the games then you're not really paying much attention. ;-) ;) :wink:

It's called creating a demand. Urban Meyer, everyone's favorite in the clubhouse, is kinda doing the same thing, no?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Not sure how Dungy comes off as a good head coach.

I'll take the guy that's been successful wire to wire - at the college game, not very mediocre at best in a different one.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Ohio State doesn't need to hire a name coach to keep its fans. They'll be getting 100K a game down there every week and have the attention of the entire state no matter who is coach. They need to make sure that coach is tied into Ohio recruiting. That's what fed the Buckeyes under Tressel's tenure.

No way it will be Dungy. Why would he leave that cush job in the NBC studio to take over OSU? He has one year of college coaching experience more than 30 years ago. This is the first I've heard anyone tie his name to OSU. Hopefully the last.

Gotta think Chris Petersen from Boise State would be tops on anyone's list. Don't know his contract situation, but isn't his QB done after this year? Maybe the getting's good for him. As for recruiting, if he can bring 'em to Boise, he can bring 'em anywhere.


Fine with the recruiting angle and the college inexperience but if you can't find five coaches in 10 seconds who went from the booth back to the games then you're not really paying much attention. ;-) ;) :wink:

It's called creating a demand. Urban Meyer, everyone's favorite in the clubhouse, is kinda doing the same thing, no?


Well, sure, coaches bounce from booth to sidelines all the time. Not sure how many of them go from pros to booth to college, especially with as little college experience as Dungy to as high-profile a school as OSU. I don't think Dungy's lack of college experience means he can't coach college. I think it means he's not interested in coaching college. He's closing in on 60, too. Coaching is increasingly a young man's game.

If Dungy were younger and/or more experienced w/college coaching, I'd put credence into this rumor.

I agree that Meyer is the only one to bet on. You either bet on Meyer or you bet on the field, cuz there is no second candidate right now.

Look at the new coaches in recent years. Plenty of nobodies hired who went on to become somebodies. You'll recognize a lot more names in the OUT than IN lists:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coac ... anges.html
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:28 pm

My two cents...

Dungy and Gruden are just "names" that have zero chance of ever manifesting themselves into the running.

The Urban stuff is fascinating but between his health, family (at least one daughter in college) and the right situation (OSU sanctions, location, conference, program, etc.) I don't think Urban pulls the trigger this upcoming year.

That said, while it's not what I'm hopeful for but I think OSU goes off the grid for their hire and I am absolutely terrified of what Gee and, if by the grace of God, Smith will come up with for a hire. Hell, Smith's made it this far and his got that bowtied idiot backing him publicly he might just make it outof this after all. So yeah, color me pessimistic.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
User avatar
noles1
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Clarion, PA
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 pm

leadpipe wrote:Not sure how Dungy comes off as a good head coach.

I'll take the guy that's been successful wire to wire - at the college game, not very mediocre at best in a different one.


See, I don't agree with this in general. Herm Edwards? I hear ya.

But Dungy won almost 70% of his NFL games. His defense was responsible for Tampa's success and that defense and Peyton Manning were responsible for Indy's. So in Indy you can make legit argument he won because of overwhelming talent at the key spot on the field. I'd accept that.

I just think he's being underrated as a coach in general.

And you can't argue this wouldn't make the OSU admin swell:

Dungy stresses that coaches are essentially teachers.... Also, like Dungy, they remain calm when things go badly. They guide instead of goad...


That's Tressel-like.

You guys make a lot of excellent points about age, transitioning, etc. Not sure how folks could be upset over this guy though. And not sure what Gruden ever did other than falling out of the womb in an Ohio hospital and taking a team Dungy built to a title (and thereby winning as many titles as Dungy did) but not coming close to Dungy's overall record even in Tampa.

Just an intriguing rumor IMO.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22501
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Not sure how Dungy comes off as a good head coach.

I'll take the guy that's been successful wire to wire - at the college game, not very mediocre at best in a different one.


See, I don't agree with this in general. Herm Edwards? I hear ya.

But Dungy won almost 70% of his NFL games. His defense was responsible for Tampa's success and that defense and Peyton Manning were responsible for Indy's. So in Indy you can make legit argument he won because of overwhelming talent at the key spot on the field. I'd accept that.

I just think he's being underrated as a coach in general.

And you can't argue this wouldn't make the OSU admin swell:

Dungy stresses that coaches are essentially teachers.... Also, like Dungy, they remain calm when things go badly. They guide instead of goad...


That's Tressel-like.

You guys make a lot of excellent points about age, transitioning, etc. Not sure how folks could be upset over this guy though. And not sure what Gruden ever did other than falling out of the womb in an Ohio hospital and taking a team Dungy built to a title (and thereby winning as many titles as Dungy did) but not coming close to Dungy's overall record even in Tampa.

Just an intriguing rumor IMO.


A good coach yes, a good head coach, well, I see little proof of that.

To Swerb's points, Gruden comes and gets it done in a year with the same team. (and we agree that Gruden is no great shakes - which is to the point) They prop up Weekend at Bernie's 3 in Indy after he leaves and there's little difference.

To be quite honest, professional football speaking, I'm not sure there's many places in which Dungy's style lasts more than a few years. Indy might have been the perfect spot, cause everyone knows who was running the team anyway. Not sure there's many modern guys that give a shit enough to respect the moral grounds Dungy employs. Dungy as a head coach would be better in dealing with those coming from the real world. As far as the guy's that have no self-awareness, and little understanding of reality, I think they are best handled by a rat bastard that cares as little about them personally, as they do he. This is of course in regard to winning. It's no suprise that most of the good head coaches are cut from this cloth.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:42 am

To be fair Lead, do you think Vest could even make it six minutes coaching the Pros?

Again, Vest was a pretty bad head coach football wise anytime he ran into elite or even meh+ (Mack Brown), he was just amazing developer of young men.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am

e0y2e3 wrote:To be fair Lead, do you think Vest could even make it six minutes coaching the Pros?

Again, Vest was a pretty bad head coach football wise anytime he ran into elite or even meh+ (Mack Brown), he was just amazing developer of young men.


Absolutely not. But to the point of Meyer vs. Dungy for OSU, I'd take Meyer and the Vest, 1. Because they have been hugely successful in that game and 2. I'm not impressed with Dungy as a head man.

Now, to be fair, I might make the case that Dungy and his style and personality are MORE suited to the college level, for reasons I inferred to in an above post, but again, in Meyer you're basically getting a can't lose, with Dungy you'd be getting a maybe.

My two cents on a hypothetical situation.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Fair, my only level in their is 8+ years of Dungy v. 2 years of Urban.

And this isn't about health, it's about the shit in the SEC article that I have heard more than once. I wish I still had inroads into the program to dig into this shit.

Either way, I could sleep at night w/ either and probably deep down want Urban.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:48 pm

There are alot of rumors regarding Meyer and his departure from FL. The most persistent that I have heard are that:

1. Cheating in the SEC is more rampant than he was willing to accept. I tend to believe the rampant cheating part, but I don't believe that it is so bad that the coach left.

2. Probablems with the Bull Gator/s. I tend to believe this one (at least in that it was a contributing factor). FL has a couple of very large and very meddlesome alumni donors that made Spurrier's life hell too.

3. Health problems. I doubt it, maybe burnout, but not health issues.

4. Affair with someone at FL within the department that his wife found out about. Although this rumor is persistent that you would normally have to think there is a shred of truth to it (see D. West vs. Gloria James), I am still not buying it. Meyer's departure from UF was anything but rapid, and if his wife had mandated that he leave UF... I think that move would have been made much more rapidly.

5. Fear of Nick Saban domination in the SEC. Not buying it. All these guys have the ego that causes them to believe they can do anything. He certainly was not scared off, particularly as the "Big Dog" plucking the very best out of FL.

So there it is, I tend to think that it has to do with the Bull Gator/s and some burn out. Will he be a two year guy at tOSU (should he come)? I doubt it. At that point he destroys his legacy and just comes off as a flake. I am hoping for Meyer and I think he comes.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6404
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:37 pm

furls wrote:There are alot of rumors regarding Meyer and his departure from FL. The most persistent that I have heard are that:

1. Cheating in the SEC is more rampant than he was willing to accept. I tend to believe the rampant cheating part, but I don't believe that it is so bad that the coach left.

2. Probablems with the Bull Gator/s. I tend to believe this one (at least in that it was a contributing factor). FL has a couple of very large and very meddlesome alumni donors that made Spurrier's life hell too.

3. Health problems. I doubt it, maybe burnout, but not health issues.

4. Affair with someone at FL within the department that his wife found out about. Although this rumor is persistent that you would normally have to think there is a shred of truth to it (see D. West vs. Gloria James), I am still not buying it. Meyer's departure from UF was anything but rapid, and if his wife had mandated that he leave UF... I think that move would have been made much more rapidly.

5. Fear of Nick Saban domination in the SEC. Not buying it. All these guys have the ego that causes them to believe they can do anything. He certainly was not scared off, particularly as the "Big Dog" plucking the very best out of FL.

So there it is, I tend to think that it has to do with the Bull Gator/s and some burn out. Will he be a two year guy at tOSU (should he come)? I doubt it. At that point he destroys his legacy and just comes off as a flake. I am hoping for Meyer and I think he comes.



SD:

i have a problem with both , Urban because He isn't what you think he is , and Dungy because He's a fuckin Pussy .

I do think however the only remedy to salve the raw oozing scab which is now tOSU will have to be a big name big time move .

That being said the poster who brought up the name of the Boise State coach about nailed it, this guy is beating teams with leftovers , talk about somebody making the most of his resources and he's the poster child .

Give him access to the resources cachet and power of tOSU combined with his ability to mine gold on the moon , and you might have the right guy to eclipse what the vest achieved which was excellence personified, plus somebody who actually has a clue on offense.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Boise St. coach (Peterson) has baggage. They just got hit with LOIC for a scandal and he lacks the Ohio ties that they would like in a coach. Additionally, other teams have been trying to pull Peterson out of BSU for about 1/2 a decade and admirably he will not go.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6404
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby pup » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm

8-3
9-3
10-2
12-0
9-3
13-1
9-4
13-1
13-1

7-1 Bowl Games
4-0 BCS Games

What is the debate?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
furls wrote:There are alot of rumors regarding Meyer and his departure from FL. The most persistent that I have heard are that:

1. Cheating in the SEC is more rampant than he was willing to accept. I tend to believe the rampant cheating part, but I don't believe that it is so bad that the coach left.

2. Probablems with the Bull Gator/s. I tend to believe this one (at least in that it was a contributing factor). FL has a couple of very large and very meddlesome alumni donors that made Spurrier's life hell too.

3. Health problems. I doubt it, maybe burnout, but not health issues.

4. Affair with someone at FL within the department that his wife found out about. Although this rumor is persistent that you would normally have to think there is a shred of truth to it (see D. West vs. Gloria James), I am still not buying it. Meyer's departure from UF was anything but rapid, and if his wife had mandated that he leave UF... I think that move would have been made much more rapidly.

5. Fear of Nick Saban domination in the SEC. Not buying it. All these guys have the ego that causes them to believe they can do anything. He certainly was not scared off, particularly as the "Big Dog" plucking the very best out of FL.

So there it is, I tend to think that it has to do with the Bull Gator/s and some burn out. Will he be a two year guy at tOSU (should he come)? I doubt it. At that point he destroys his legacy and just comes off as a flake. I am hoping for Meyer and I think he comes.



SD:

i have a problem with both , Urban because He isn't what you think he is , and Dungy because He's a fuckin Pussy .

I do think however the only remedy to salve the raw oozing scab which is now tOSU will have to be a big name big time move .

That being said the poster who brought up the name of the Boise State coach about nailed it, this guy is beating teams with leftovers , talk about somebody making the most of his resources and he's the poster child .

Give him access to the resources cachet and power of tOSU combined with his ability to mine gold on the moon , and you might have the right guy to eclipse what the vest achieved which was excellence personified, plus somebody who actually has a clue on offense.


SoulDawg


You don't take Urban for "What you think he is..." - you take him for what he is.

Not sure you can argue with success at every level, including the highest of collegate levels.

Facts over opinions any day.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 am

leadpipe wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
furls wrote:There are alot of rumors regarding Meyer and his departure from FL. The most persistent that I have heard are that:

1. Cheating in the SEC is more rampant than he was willing to accept. I tend to believe the rampant cheating part, but I don't believe that it is so bad that the coach left.

2. Probablems with the Bull Gator/s. I tend to believe this one (at least in that it was a contributing factor). FL has a couple of very large and very meddlesome alumni donors that made Spurrier's life hell too.

3. Health problems. I doubt it, maybe burnout, but not health issues.

4. Affair with someone at FL within the department that his wife found out about. Although this rumor is persistent that you would normally have to think there is a shred of truth to it (see D. West vs. Gloria James), I am still not buying it. Meyer's departure from UF was anything but rapid, and if his wife had mandated that he leave UF... I think that move would have been made much more rapidly.

5. Fear of Nick Saban domination in the SEC. Not buying it. All these guys have the ego that causes them to believe they can do anything. He certainly was not scared off, particularly as the "Big Dog" plucking the very best out of FL.

So there it is, I tend to think that it has to do with the Bull Gator/s and some burn out. Will he be a two year guy at tOSU (should he come)? I doubt it. At that point he destroys his legacy and just comes off as a flake. I am hoping for Meyer and I think he comes.



SD:

i have a problem with both , Urban because He isn't what you think he is , and Dungy because He's a fuckin Pussy .

I do think however the only remedy to salve the raw oozing scab which is now tOSU will have to be a big name big time move .

That being said the poster who brought up the name of the Boise State coach about nailed it, this guy is beating teams with leftovers , talk about somebody making the most of his resources and he's the poster child .

Give him access to the resources cachet and power of tOSU combined with his ability to mine gold on the moon , and you might have the right guy to eclipse what the vest achieved which was excellence personified, plus somebody who actually has a clue on offense.


SoulDawg


You don't take Urban for "What you think he is..." - you take him for what he is.

Not sure you can argue with success at every level, including the highest of collegate levels.

Facts over opinions any day.


SD:

The fact is the guy quit on his team................................................................... twice.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Tony Dungy & Buckeyes?

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:23 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
furls wrote:There are alot of rumors regarding Meyer and his departure from FL. The most persistent that I have heard are that:

1. Cheating in the SEC is more rampant than he was willing to accept. I tend to believe the rampant cheating part, but I don't believe that it is so bad that the coach left.

2. Probablems with the Bull Gator/s. I tend to believe this one (at least in that it was a contributing factor). FL has a couple of very large and very meddlesome alumni donors that made Spurrier's life hell too.

3. Health problems. I doubt it, maybe burnout, but not health issues.

4. Affair with someone at FL within the department that his wife found out about. Although this rumor is persistent that you would normally have to think there is a shred of truth to it (see D. West vs. Gloria James), I am still not buying it. Meyer's departure from UF was anything but rapid, and if his wife had mandated that he leave UF... I think that move would have been made much more rapidly.

5. Fear of Nick Saban domination in the SEC. Not buying it. All these guys have the ego that causes them to believe they can do anything. He certainly was not scared off, particularly as the "Big Dog" plucking the very best out of FL.

So there it is, I tend to think that it has to do with the Bull Gator/s and some burn out. Will he be a two year guy at tOSU (should he come)? I doubt it. At that point he destroys his legacy and just comes off as a flake. I am hoping for Meyer and I think he comes.



SD:

i have a problem with both , Urban because He isn't what you think he is , and Dungy because He's a fuckin Pussy .

I do think however the only remedy to salve the raw oozing scab which is now tOSU will have to be a big name big time move .

That being said the poster who brought up the name of the Boise State coach about nailed it, this guy is beating teams with leftovers , talk about somebody making the most of his resources and he's the poster child .

Give him access to the resources cachet and power of tOSU combined with his ability to mine gold on the moon , and you might have the right guy to eclipse what the vest achieved which was excellence personified, plus somebody who actually has a clue on offense.


SoulDawg


You don't take Urban for "What you think he is..." - you take him for what he is.

Not sure you can argue with success at every level, including the highest of collegate levels.

Facts over opinions any day.


SD:

The fact is the guy quit on his team................................................................... twice.


SoulDawg


Which I destroyed him for both times. Once calling it a gimmick to get his team focused for the bowl game and the other for just being a quitter.

And he can coach my college football team any day of the week.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12004
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach


Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest