Text Size

No Holds Barred

DiLiberto Gets 30 Days In The Slammer

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

DiLiberto Gets 30 Days In The Slammer

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 am

Too funny. Me & most of my friends grew up in the Eastlake area, with many of us going to Eastlake North High School.

We were all fired up that single A ball was coming to Eastlake. Who knew at the time that DiLiberto was bankrupting the city of Eastlake for decades to come to bring it there.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindeal ... xml&coll=2

Eastlake ex-mayor gets jail time in loan scam

Dan DiLiberto's probation requires speeches

Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Maggi Martin
Plain Dealer Reporter

Painesville- Former Mayor Dan DiLiberto apologized to Eastlake citizens on Monday, and a judge ordered him to keep sharing his regrets for two years.

DiLiberto, 58, was sentenced to 30 days in Lake County Jail and ordered to give speeches to civic groups about public trust, something he violated when he falsified a loan document for an Eastlake developer, prosecutors said. He pleaded guilty to attempted falsification.

"Dan has lost the worst thing a man can lose: his reputation," said defense lawyer Joseph Weiss.

"But Dan's motives and intent were to elevate the city and take a blighted area and turn it into something to benefit Eastlake."

DiLiberto said he did not gain financially nor intend to harm the city when he signed a letter that helped secure a state loan for developer John Chiappetta. DiLiberto signed a document on city letterhead guaranteeing the loan.

DiLiberto said his goal had been to bring much-needed jobs through Chiappetta's promised industrial park.

The park was not built, and Chiappetta faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced Thursday for corrupt activity, forgery and theft for defrauding the state on a $3.5 million loan.

"I am truly ashamed that I was part of anything that poorly affected Eastlake. I did not know the business side of the developer was failing," DiLiberto said. "My obligation as mayor was to be aware of that. I wish I could take back this one mistake."

Lake County Common Pleas Judge Richard Collins said DiLiberto had violated the public's trust.

But he said he considered that DiLiberto also had developed many programs that helped the city and had cooperated in Chiappetta's prosecution.

In addition to imposing jail time, Collins sentenced DiLiberto to 120 days of house arrest in the homes he owns in Florida and Concord Township.

He was also sentenced to 300 hours of community service and faces a $2,000 fine. During his two years' probation, DiLiberto must give speeches on public corruption and its impact on the community.

"Frankly I hope you talk about how humiliating it is to be convicted of a felony," Collins said.

Mayor Ted Andrzejewski, a sharp critic of DiLiberto, said he thinks jail time is appropriate.

While DiLiberto's freedom is restricted for two years, Andrzejewski said, the city will take a lot longer to recover from financial problems caused, in part, by DiLiberto.

The city must repay a debt for its baseball stadium of $1 million a year for 23 years. The industrial park, which was not developed, is under state receivership.

Chiappetta was sentenced Monday in U.S. District Court in Youngstown to 38 months in federal prison and ordered to pay $1 million in restitution for embezzling health care funds from former employees of his Mentor company, E&W Services Inc.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mmartin@plaind.com, 440-602-4782
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Diliberto

Unread postby jjgmyers » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:30 am

Good old Danny boy. This guy was corrupt before he even took office. I think he ran unsuccessfully for about 14 years before no one ran against him and he won by default. The city is and will be in shambles because of this rat for many, many years to come
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Return to No Holds Barred