Text Size

College Sports Arena

Gene Smith presser at 3:30 involves Posey, Herron?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Gene Smith presser at 3:30 involves Posey, Herron?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm

What's another right cross to the jaw when you're already semi-conscious hanging onto the ropes?

Looks like Gene Smith's press conference this afternoon has been called to announce some additional suspensions for two of the players slated to return for this week's game at Nebraska. Reports are circulating that Posey and Herron will be suspended for receiving illegal benefits. Hearing they are both likely to get an additional 1-game suspension tacked on to their 5-gamers...and in Posey's case, maybe two more, because of the difference in the amounts (Herron's between $200-400, and Posey's around $500)
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Gene Smith presser at 3:30 involves Posey, Herron?

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Unreal
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:29 pm

If it happened after the bowl game just do the program a favor and put a wrap on their Buckeye careers.

THis story puts the icing on the cake for an atrocious weekend on the sporting end.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:59 pm

noles1 wrote:THis story puts the icing on the cake for an atrocious weekend on the sporting end.

Dodn't look at that way Noles. Just look at it as the last nightmarish week in TCF sports is over and the next nightmarish week is beginning with the 3:30 press conference.

Feel better?

Me too.

Making it even better is the Browns have a bye week so we can dwell on Sunday's shitacular for an extra week.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Remember when we were dreading the possibility of a 1-year postseason bowl game ban as the worst-case scenario for NCAA sanctions? (even the loss of a couple of scholarships for a year or two was going to be tolerable compared to that potential bowl game ban.)

Now Ohio State getting banned from postseason play for 2011 looks sort of like me getting banned from playing in the NBA for a year.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:35 pm

peeker643 wrote:
noles1 wrote:THis story puts the icing on the cake for an atrocious weekend on the sporting end.

Dodn't look at that way Noles. Just look at it as the last nightmarish week in TCF sports is over and the next nightmarish week is beginning with the 3:30 press conference.

Feel better?

Me too.

Making it even better is the Browns have a bye week so we can dwell on Sunday's shitacular for an extra week.

Don't neglect the on-going Peyton Hillis saga that will persist like a violent case of herpes throughout the next 13 days... Least they have antibotics and ointment for herpes or so I'm told. :pb:
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Herron, Posey, Marcus Hall all out for this weekend. Applying to NCAA for reinstatement after that...

Overpaid for summer "jobs" working for Bobby DeGeronimo, booster of charity event fame...

hearing Melvin Fellows also involved. Here are amounts...

Melvin Fellows overpaid by $292.50. Marcus Hall by $232.50. Boom Herron $292.50. Devier Posey $727.50.

danwismar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Well, at least he didn't announce that the NCAA penalty on Ohio State was forcing Luke Fickell to coach for three more years.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 pm

This was for work (not) done in 2011 and late 2010.

So much stinks here....Smith says players never knew what their pay rate was....ever have a summer (or any other) job where you didn't know what your pay rate was?

Posey's situation is the worst. He worked 21 hours and got paid for 70. For any Buckeye player to have accepted cash like this...and not reported the "job" to OSU officials as required, after all that has happened....

Tony Gerdeman said it well....they just don't care.

Smith must go when the broom sweeps clean.

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:18 pm

My previous points still exist, however, these dollar amounts and reasons are simply laughable.

I'm exhausted with this entire situation.

If the NCAA actually once to dig into this at every program they are going to need about 200 more investigators.
noles1

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:28 pm

noles1 wrote:My previous points still exist, however, these dollar amounts and reasons are simply laughable.

If the NCAA actually once to dig into this at every program they are going to need about 200 more investigators.

Fortunately if all the violations are at the same school, you can just leave the same guy there. I have been one of the more liberal supporters of players, and I still think the NCAA and its rules are fucking stupid. I have never said that breaking stupid rules is OK, rules are still the rules.

Now that all the disclaimers have been disclaimed.... Kick Posey and Herron off the team. They obviously just don't give a fucking shit. Now these guys are just fucking their buddies over by pulling shit like this when the heat is on. That is like me asking a friend if he is taking action on a football game right in front of a uniformed vice cop.

Launch them both.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 am

danwismar wrote: Smith must go when the broom sweeps clean.

I'm starting to think this can't happen fast enough. You can't absolve the kids. You have to be incredibly stupid, or incredibly hard up for cash [and even if you are that hard up for cash, you could still, you know, work the fucking job] to do something like this at this point in time. So lump me in with those who think they should go.

And I don't think Smith saying 'That's it, this is all of it' everytime, only to be proved wrong literally weeks later, and making a mockery of the NCAA in the process, is doing anything but making the eventual sanctions worse. As Far as I'm concerned, he outta be on the way out with the players.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:56 pm

noles1 wrote:My previous points still exist, however, these dollar amounts and reasons are simply laughable.

Which was always the point why everyone was saying the Tat 5 was such a big deal, even when most were saying "it was just some tats". They gave a reason for the 2A to look, and once you give them a reason you are bent over six ways to Sunday.

And Gene must go. Now.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Signes the NCAA is getting sick of OSU:

The 1 game OSU suspensions quickly became 2 game suspension to start the year.

The additional one game for Posey was just deemed not near enough as he got FIVE more games.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Signes the NCAA is getting sick of OSU:

The additional one game for Posey was just deemed not near enough as he got FIVE more games.

So you're saying he'll be back for the UM game and the bowl game?? Sweet!!!!

:hide:

I'm not allowed to say anything. I tried before all of this and was quickly told I was too harsh. Although the NCAA won't call him 'stupid', I'm pretty sure the NCAA just called him stupid.

Here's hoping he really goes off in the UM game and in the Alamo Bowl. :thumb up:

Isn't this about the time for those who defended him earlier to say OSU should probably just cut ties? ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:01 pm

peeker643 wrote:

What bowl game? They gotta win six games. They have three more wins on that schedule? They BETTER beat Purdue, Penn State, and Indiana, cuz that might be their last three winnable games.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

What bowl game? They gotta win six games. They have three more wins on that schedule? They BETTER beat Purdue, Penn State, and Indiana, cuz that might be their last three winnable games.

Yeah, it was tongue-in-cheek GHCS. That's why I added the Insight Bowl or Alamo Bowl comment. I think it'd be more amusing to get to a mid December bowl game than to just be able to slink quietly away from this steaming pile of shit.

Oh....and they will win their 6 games. You, me and 20 other guys could win 6 games against that schedule ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Damn, they have to finish fifth in the B10 to get that Insight Bowl berth. If the go 6-6, they're under .500 in the B10.

How about we give them the TicketCity Bowl? That's seventh in the conference. They get to play the second place team in CUSA. Last year it was Northwestern vs. Texas Tech. The Big 12 and CUSA alternate the tie-in. Maybe they could end up playing Southern Miss. That would be a thrilling t-shirt. Sad thing is that it's a New Year's Day bowl game.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:51 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Damn, they have to finish fifth in the B10 to get that Insight Bowl berth. If the go 6-6, they're under .500 in the B10.

How about we give them the TicketCity Bowl? That's seventh in the conference. They get to play the second place team in CUSA. Last year it was Northwestern vs. Texas Tech. The Big 12 and CUSA alternate the tie-in. Maybe they could end up playing Southern Miss. That would be a thrilling t-shirt. Sad thing is that it's a New Year's Day bowl game.

I'll take it. The name "TicketCityBowl" and its funny factor would outweigh the fact it's actually on New Year's Day.

And the Scarlet throng could still spin it that the Buckeyes are playing on New Years.

Win-win!!!

Could you imagine Posey with 14 catches for 220yds against Tulsa (never mind there's no one to throw him the football) in his final game?!?!

Him on the podium talking about how he persevered and asking what the cash equivalent would be for the Ticket City Bowl MVP keychain?

Glorious.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to College Sports Arena