Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Moneyball

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Moneyball

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Anybody seen “Moneyball”?

IMHO, one of the best flicks of the year, so far. Probably the quietest, most cerebral baseball movie ever--more about personalities and the economics of the sport. But the Oakland Athletics’ 20-game winning streak in 2002 and Billy Beane’s Sabremetrics-based philosophy also got plenty of screen time.

Maybe I’m biased, but Mark Shapiro comes off as a Billy Beane tool, trading Ricardo Rincon to the A’s at mid-season. Rincon had a 4.79 ERA for the Tribe that season, but had a 3.10 ERA and a 0.689 WHIP for the A’s. Halle Berry’s ex (David Justice/Stephen Bishop) also played a prominent role.

Anyway, Brad Pitt as Beane was impressive, and I’m not generally a Pitt fan. The Princess Bride (Robin Wright) was only onscreen for about two minutes (what a waste).

Thoughts?
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Re: Moneyball

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:35 pm

The movie sucked.

Acting was meh.

Writing was meh.

Only reason people caer is that most don't follow sports and are treating it as a drama.

I wanted to go to drive Friday and got drug to the.

Go see Drive, fuck this movie.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Go see Drive, fuck this movie.

If you haven't seen "Drive" yet, I predict you will love it. It's a bloodbath. Right up your alley.
jerryroche

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 am

At first I thought this was about the player who came out of the closet. Different spelling. Just picked it up. Interesting movie.

Interesting look into baseball, sort of like the baseball scenes of "For the Love of the Game" chick flick. Brought back some memories. On of the better sports movies, well worth what I paid.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Squints » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Saw the movie and thought it was worth the time From a cinematic standpoint, I am surprised that Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are receiving all these accolades, but I am not an expert on movies. The only issue I have with the movie from a historical prospective is that there is little to no mention of Zito, Mulder or Hudson in that movie. They aren't part of the Moneyball aspect, but they have to at least be given some of the credit. Hard to believe their success was all on Scott Hatteberg and David Justice as the movie sways you to believe.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Movie wasn't that bad. Definitely worth a watch if you're a baseball fan. When I was watching it I really couldn't remember anything about the A's winning 20 straight games.

I just don't see Mark Shapiro being that sassy in real life.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Squints wrote:Saw the movie and thought it was worth the time From a cinematic standpoint, I am surprised that Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill are receiving all these accolades, but I am not an expert on movies. The only issue I have with the movie from a historical prospective is that there is little to no mention of Zito, Mulder or Hudson in that movie. They aren't part of the Moneyball aspect, but they have to at least be given some of the credit. Hard to believe their success was all on Scott Hatteberg and David Justice as the movie sways you to believe.

Finally watched it a few nights ago. Mark Shapiro character seemed like the real Mark. Decent movie. But I wasn't a fan with the players they portrayed--well, lack there of...

I was waiting for them to mention at least Zito (he is a strange looking player & he won the 2002 CY YOUNG) with Mulder and Hudson but not a word. Just that of the submarine pitcher and Ricardo Rincon. I didn't hear too much about Miguel Tejada either. Afterall, he was the 2002 AL MVP. Not sure if maybe I missed it. Or the director or writer just decided not say a frigging word about the two biggest stars of the AL that season.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:47 pm

Contrary to the nay-sayers, "Moneyball" received Oscar nominations in three major categories: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor.

All deserved, IMO. But I'll be the first to say that "Best Picture" nominees this year were fairly weak by historic standards.
jerryroche

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 am

jerryroche wrote:Contrary to the nay-sayers, "Moneyball" received Oscar nominations in three major categories: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor.

All deserved, IMO. But I'll be the first to say that "Best Picture" nominees this year were fairly weak by historic standards.

Much like the Moneyball strategy...good enough to get you in the race, not good enough to actually win.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Squints » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 pm

[/quote]

Much like the Moneyball strategy...good enough to get you in the race, not good enough to actually win.[/quote]

Well done. The movie also benefitted from expansion and a lack of quality competition.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture