Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Thome--Next Year?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Thome--Next Year?

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:32 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post ... mlb-408944

Someone's gonna have to explain to me (and Antonetti) how the team could potentially keep two guys on the roster who can't play the field.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Thome--Next Year?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Please God no.

Hafner alone on this roster crushes this teams day to day lineup flexibility.

No thanks to watching Thome's career die in an Indians uniform.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:51 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Thome-leaning-toward-return-to-Indians-;_ylt=Ak.doltTomuwQnV8KddZTnQRvLYF?urn=mlb-408944

Someone's gonna have to explain to me (and Antonetti) how the team could potentially keep two guys on the roster who can't play the field.

So much depends on what else they do but I don't see Thome and Hafner as two different players in terms of flexibility. They are basically one player. You'd be paying your DH $15m or so but it would be in the form of two people.

That gets to Swerb's point about roster flexibility I know. But if Jason Donald is the super-utility guy that eliminates one extra spot because he could play all infield positions as opposed to having a uif middle inf and a uif corner IF.

I can see from a production/security standpoint why they'd do it. But I can see why people don't think having two half-broken down DH's equates to one productive DH. That said, Thome isn't the problem so much as Hafner is.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:15 pm

If he wants to stick around, I'd rather they dump Fields and make him the hitting coach.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:If he wants to stick around, I'd rather they dump Fields and make him the hitting coach.

:thumb up: I'm for that^.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Thome-leaning-toward-return-to-Indians-;_ylt=Ak.doltTomuwQnV8KddZTnQRvLYF?urn=mlb-408944

So much depends on what else they do but I don't see Thome and Hafner as two different players in terms of flexibility. They are basically one player. You'd be paying your DH $15m or so but it would be in the form of two people.

That gets to Swerb's point about roster flexibility I know. But if Jason Donald is the super-utility guy that eliminates one extra spot because he could play all infield positions as opposed to having a uif middle inf and a uif corner IF.

I can see from a production/security standpoint why they'd do it. But I can see why people don't think having two half-broken down DH's equates to one productive DH. That said, Thome isn't the problem so much as Hafner is.

This.

This makes me think illogically. Indeed the idea of two DH's that can't play the field make no sense. Knowing that Hafner is going to break down almost makes one roll their eyes and say what the heck.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby pup » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Yes. Just what this team needs. A solid .240 hitter.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:37 pm

pup wrote:Yes. Just what this team needs. A solid .240 hitter.

Actually, a solid .240 hitter would be an upgrade at a couple spots in the lineup.

Hater.

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:If he wants to stick around, I'd rather they dump Fields and make him the hitting coach.

If he can do nothing more than to teach guys to lay off pitches 6" off the strike zone then he'd be worth whatever pitching coaches make these days.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Stu » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:31 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Someone's gonna have to explain to me (and Antonetti) how the team could potentially keep two guys on the roster who can't play the field.

What are you talking about? I saw Thome play a good looking 3rd base on Sunday.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Only way I could see it work would be if they could trade Hafner for someone else's bad contract at a different position. Heck, they hate Lackey so much in Boston, I wonder if they'd kick in some of the diff. in salaries & take on Hafner as an expensive pinch hitter. Who knows, outside of Boston, maybe Lackey can bounce back -- wouldn't that boost Tribe's rotation?
Pressrunnr

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Lackey Blows. Completely blows. And he will continue to blow at $15mil per until 2014 or some such ridiculous shit.

Bad idea jeans.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:58 pm

NO Lackey! I'd rather my dead Mother pitched for the Tribe....SHE wouldn't miss and piss as much as Lackey does.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:56 pm

What's the problem? Thome's average wasn't pretty but his OPS was over 800. I'd hate to see him completely lose it next year like Swerb said, but are we really doing to do much better with $3M of free agent money?

And please don't consider Hafner's $13M in this debate, it's a sunk cost barring a trade (where we'd likely have to pick up most of the tab). Losing another roster spot would suck but you're making a giant assumption that Hafner stays healthy. Plus they can always get one back by keeping LaStrikeout in Columbus, making Santana the starting 1B, and signing a decent hitting catcher (with Santana as the backup).
Last edited by Kingpin74 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:What's the problem? Thome's average wasn't pretty but his OPS was over 800. I'd hate to see him completely lose it next year like Swerb said, but are we really doing to do much better with $3M of free agent money?

And please don't consider Hafner's $13M in this debate, it's a sunk cost barring a trade (where we'd likely have to pick up most of the tab). The only legitimate issues are Thome's would-be production and the roster spot.

You're right. But that is exactly THE problem. But, you say it like it's a minor consideration.

I don't see how in the world they can justify another roster spot for another DH who we HOPE can approach something close to average.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:09 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Kingpin74 wrote:What's the problem? Thome's average wasn't pretty but his OPS was over 800. I'd hate to see him completely lose it next year like Swerb said, but are we really doing to do much better with $3M of free agent money?

And please don't consider Hafner's $13M in this debate, it's a sunk cost barring a trade (where we'd likely have to pick up most of the tab). The only legitimate issues are Thome's would-be production and the roster spot.

You're right. But that is exactly THE problem. But, you say it like it's a minor consideration.

I don't see how in the world they can justify another roster spot for another DH who we HOPE can approach something close to average.

I suppose, but I just look at the holes we still have and how expensive the free agent market usually is. I don't see how we would do much better with a relatively small one year salary like Thome's. And like a previous poster said, I think we have the utility guys to absorb the loss of a spot.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby pup » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:29 pm

I cannot believe this thread is still alive.

If these idiots give Jom Thome another contract (with or without the albatross of the Hafner contract), it will prove once and for all that nobody in that front office watches baseball games.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Spin » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:45 pm

If Pronk were healthy 50% of the time (over the past four years) he could be included in the equation. But, in the post-roid-test-era, that's a pipe dream.

Thome is a much better veteran presence in the locker room, something neither Pronk nor Grady have been. And is capable of seeing 100+ games a year, being 7 years older.

But with no economical way out from under Pronk's or Grady's contract, Jim would have to play for next to nothing to come back to Cleveland for one more go.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Spin wrote:

If Pronk were healthy 50% of the time (over the past four years) he could be included in the equation. But, in the post-roid-test-era, that's a pipe dream.

Thome is a much better veteran presence in the locker room, something neither Pronk nor Grady have been. And is capable of seeing 100+ games a year, being 7 years older.

But with no economical way out from under Pronk's or Grady's contract, Jim would have to play for next to nothing to come back to Cleveland for one more go.

Hafner being a bad player post has more to with it than his injury history.

So he's healthy half the year. Thanks for the 11 and 40.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 pm

pup wrote:I cannot believe this thread is still alive.

If these idiots give Jom Thome another contract (with or without the albatross of the Hafner contract), it will prove once and for all that nobody in that front office watches baseball games.

Stop Hating on Thome
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby pup » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:

Stop Hating on Thome

When he stops sucking.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:42 am

pup wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:

Stop Hating on Thome

When he stops sucking.

He is the best 41 year old still playing
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
pup wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:

Stop Hating on Thome

When he stops sucking.

Would like a word with you

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby onlyindreams » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:39 pm

IMO a DH platoon of Thome/Hafner/Duncan would be perfect. Thome/Hafner play every other game against righties and Duncan plays against lefties. Then we would just have a bench of Jolbert Cabrera to fill in at every position in the field.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:02 pm

pup wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
pup wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:

Stop Hating on Thome

When he stops sucking.

Would like a word with you

He is better than him, and dont post that Skankee Trash
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 am

I think it was great he made a return this year, but I think if he is still in an Indians uniform next year, hopefully it is one of a hitting coach. I think Hafner if fit will do nicely in the DH roll in 2012.
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:28 am

I think Hafner if fit will do nicely in the DH roll in 2008.

I think Hafner if fit will do nicely in the DH roll in 2009.

I think Hafner if fit will do nicely in the DH roll in 2010.

I think Hafner if fit will do nicely in the DH roll in 2011.

I think Hafner if fit will do nicely in the DH roll in 2012.

Starting to become this generations Wait til next year!
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:11 am

I guess its a case of if he maintains his fitness.

I thought the team played a lot better when he was playing the DH role well this year.
ChoccoIndians

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 am

ChoccoIndians wrote:I guess its a case of if he maintains his fitness.

I thought the team played a lot better when he was playing the DH role well this year.

By "maintain his fitness" I assume you are meaning that he avoid injury, correct? Is there anything from the last 5 seasons that makes you think this will probably be the case?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby 1Perry » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

By "maintain his fitness" I assume you are meaning that he avoid injury, correct? Is there anything from the last 5 seasons that makes you think this will probably be the case?

More so than Hafner but that doesn't negate the arguement that the Indians can't afford two part time DH's.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Most probably not, but you never know.
ChoccoIndians

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:13 pm

1Perry wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

More so than Hafner but that doesn't negate the arguement that the Indians can't afford two part time DH's.

I thought we were talking about Hafner
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:37 am

Looks as if Thome intends to play next year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/j ... 2012-.html
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Looks like Thome's agreed to a 1-year deal with the Phils.

I'm a little surprised he's going back to the NL to solely be a pinch hitter.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:26 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Looks like Thome's agreed to a 1-year deal with the Phils.

I'm a little surprised he's going back to the NL to solely be a pinch hitter.

It was either going to be here or there. There were no other options.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:07 pm

I believe Howard's supposed to miss the beginning of the season. I know he can't play first, but that should at least give him ample pinch-hitting opportunities. And by the time Howard comes back, it should be about time for Hafner to go down ... hmm, this could work.
Pressrunnr

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB