Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

New Fall Shows

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

New Fall Shows

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Anybody going to get into any of the new stuff on TV? I've seen some commercials, but nothing looks all that exciting. Watched Two Broke Girls and the New Girl with my fiance. Two Broke Girls might hang around, largely because of its timeslot right after 2.5 Men. New Girl was pretty bad.

I know there aren't many network TV fans here, but anything on premium, basic, or network catching your eye?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: New Fall Shows

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:25 pm

New season of Boardwalk Empire starts Sunday ... can't wait.

Anyone watch season one of How to Make it in America on HBO? Trying to decide whether or not to go back and watch that.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Only premium Network Shows that have any potential are Homeland (Showtime show, developed by 24 guys w/out the suck that was 24 and the pilot has already gotten awesome universal reviews) on Oct 2nd and Boss on Starz Oct 21.

I am very skeptical of Boss working too.

Hell on Wheels on AMC is gonna be a bust and American Horror Story on FX should be 100% intolerable because Ryan Murphy is a little cockstain (show runner for Nip-Tuck and Glee).

EOD: the only show that will end up good from this years crop is Homeland and it should end up super effin bad ass. Pilot is online now to watch.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:35 pm

How To Make It In America is pretty much a better version of Entourage.

Reminds me of the early era Entourage.

Nothing worth going out of your way to watch but certainly not bad.

I wish I had spent eight years watching it instead of Entourage.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm curious to see what An American Horror Story is all about. The teasers are really weird, people in bondage gear and shit. I think it has a 60% of suck right now.

Boardwalk Empire is where it's at. The expanded role for Richard Harrow should be awesome, because Richard Harrow kicks ass. Bugsy Siegle's debut too. I wonder if Capone and Torio are featured as much as in season 1, and if they get into Dion O'Bannion's power struggle with them.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Again, a show written by the cockstain behind Nip-Tuck and Glee can't not suck.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Meh. I don't give a shit about who wrote it, I never watched Nip/Tuck anyhow.

I'm going to watch it before I write it off.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:00 am

I love how raw they make these shows. Watching Claire Danes "freshen up" and the Iraq POW's wife getting boned at the exact moment he calls all within 15 minutes of the start. YEEEEEEAAAA!

Otherwise looks very promising. Always been a very a fan of the V chick. They also cited SERE training.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Just seems to me that most of Broadcast TV is a dying medium. outside of the thursday block on NBC, it's all pretty unwatchable. It's either some show about dancing/singing, some reality show, some crime drama or a sitcom with canned laughter.

Cable TV, ITunes, DVR (and illegal torrenting) has kinda thinned out the herd in a way. No longer will a show that's been praised by critics and has a cult following be canceled because some TV exec. doesn't get it. Rather it'll find new life in some way shape or form.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Very good critically acclaimed shows are cancelled all the time, even on HBO (Deadwood), so that is 100% wrong.

Only reason something like Louie lives is because he makes the show on a peanuts budget, Parcs and Rec and Community would have been cancelled if NBC didn't suck too.

Fuck, Lone Star was actually really good on Fox last year and every critic in the world loved it. Made it two episodes.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:56 pm

I still have no idea why Lucky Louie was cancelled, apparently it had great ratings. Excellent cast, funny as hell, HBO fucked up by not bringing it back.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby swerb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:43 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I still have no idea why Lucky Louie was cancelled, apparently it had great ratings. Excellent cast, funny as hell, HBO fucked up by not bringing it back.

I loved that show. Norton is outstanding. Didn't understand why that show died after one season either ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am

swerb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I still have no idea why Lucky Louie was cancelled, apparently it had great ratings. Excellent cast, funny as hell, HBO fucked up by not bringing it back.

I loved that show. Norton is outstanding. Didn't understand why that show died after one season either ...

I have an idea. I think it had to do with Louie showing his ugly little penis too much.

The only new show I've watched was 2 Broke Girls and it was just OK. It's created by Whitney Cummings, whose standup is good but not great, who also is doing Whitney which I want no part of. The fact that NBC is shoving the ads for that show down our throat on every medium possible does not bode well for it's success.

I'll just have to be settle for Parks & Rec, Community, Tosh.0 and Archer to go with Boardwalk Empire.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:38 am

I tried to watch two Network sitcoms because both starred chicks I really dig and I can always rip off a 20 minute Network sitcom before passing out on the DVR (I never expected to watch more than one episode of either, but figured I'd throw em a bone).

Zooey Deschanel's new show many have ruined Zooey Deschanel for me. Fuck me. 10 minutes in and I almost lit myself on fire.

Whitney's "WHITNEY - TAPED IN FRONT OF A LIVE STUDIO AUDIENCE" was so deplorable I only made it through two awkward jokes delivered as if it were 1988 again (WE DON'T NEED FAKE THROWBACKS) where both Whitney and bad actor guy laughed while delivring there shitty lines and both jokes were followed by forced studio audience laughter.

That show made me want to rip my eyes out and use them to plug my ears in a mere five minutes.

I had no expectations for either to be honest. Never thought for a moment I would watch anything beyond the pilot, but I also never thought they would make so ill I couldn't get through 20 effin minutes of run time.

So my only possible new shows remain Homeland and Boss, figuring one will stick.

(also, the new HBO comedy looks Hung bad)

Thanks effin chryst Community and Parks and Rec are back. Naturally in a year w/out hoops to kill my time TV is going to suck ass.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 am

Oh and fuck tosh.0

(also Archer is only on a random short three episode run)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
swerb wrote:

I have an idea. I think it had to do with Louie showing his ugly little penis too much.

The only new show I've watched was 2 Broke Girls and it was just OK. It's created by Whitney Cummings, whose standup is good but not great, who also is doing Whitney which I want no part of. The fact that NBC is shoving the ads for that show down our throat on every medium possible does not bode well for it's success.

I'll just have to be settle for Parks & Rec, Community, Tosh.0 and Archer to go with Boardwalk Empire.

I don't remember ever seeing Louie's penis in Lucky Louie. But I do remember the guy who played his brother in law was nude in a scene. Jerry Minor and Mike Haggerty were great too.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and fuck tosh.0

Have you seen that show with Frodo and the talking dog/guy? I hear people saying it's good, but never bothered with it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Oh and fuck tosh.0

Have you seen that show with Frodo and the talking dog/guy? I hear people saying it's good, but never bothered with it.

I watched it a liked it a lot. It won't change your life but there are a lot of funny moments.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 am

No, but I want to. Will probably Netflix it at some point on a rainy weekend or some shit whenever it comes out.

Supposedly that shit is dark as hell.

I always catch up on one show I missed when spring rain gets shitty (Mad Men two years ago, BB a year ago and Deadwood last year).

Do you watch BB CDT? It's slow as fuck but I feel like you would love the genuinely deplorable nature of the characters. I think my genuine inability to even see them as feasible human beings it was ruins it for me. If I wanted to watch Cylons I'd watch Battlestar Gallactica.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:04 am

I did watch Breaking Bad, but I never cared for Walt's transition from rookie meth cook you rooted for to hardened drug dealer. It just wasn't doing it for me.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am

I don't understand how anyone would even give 2 Broke Girls a shot. The previews, which have been airing non-stop, weren't even close to funny and the comedy so forced.

What TV needs is more detectives with special gifts. Like never being able to forget things. Maybe even have the long time star go to jail. "House faces his toughest test yet, dropping the soap, and defeating the HIV virus."
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 am

I have never seen a single episode of House. After I quit watching The Office, I essentially quit watching network TV.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 am

Yeah, 2 Broke Girls sucked donkey balls and I erased Whitney before I even bothered watching it.

I watched The New Girl and now I have to go buy a two-by-four so my wife can hit me in the head with it and make me forget it exists. That way my obsession with Zooey can continue unencumbered. What would possess her to make this show is beyond me. I just hope my wife is strong enough.

There is nothingnelse at all, except homeland, and I don't get Showtime. This whole new season sucks. dreadful.

BTW, consider my ghast completely flabbered that you guys don't love BB, which, when it's all said and done, may be my favorite show of all time. Although I think thats the type of thing that can only be decided in retrospect and with the benefit of a ltittle distance.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:30 am

It's not that I don't like it, but put it this way, I had to catch up on four episodes this weekend (GOOD THING THE BROWNS SUCK DICK).

I respect it, but my least favorite of the big dramas (including Deadwood). Even behind The Sopranos which was previously my least favorite of them.

I just find that if a fucking bomb went off next week and every single person on the show died I wouldn't really care. Aside from maybe Gus, because at least he is pure bad-ass. It's really well acted though!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:42 am

Storage Wars!!!
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:46 am

I have a feeling that X-Factor combined w/ The Big Bang theory may finally equal the end of Community this year. Only pulled a 1.7 last night, less than P & R and no matter how impossible that timeslot is, well, :-(
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 am

I know you are hyped for X-Factor too Peeks. You missed Simon Cowell, don't lie.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 am

I loved Deadwood, Al Swearengen is probably my favorite TV character of all time. Ian McShane, Tim Olyphant, and Powers Boothe were so fucking good.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:49 am

peeker643 wrote:Storage Wars!!!

I don't know why but I can't get enough of this show, even with it being populated by total douchebags and one semi-decent looking chick who seems hot because she's surrounded by said douchebags.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:50 am

Deadwood is easily my third favorite show ever.

Everytime Milch promises to make those two follow-up movies I get excited for a few minutes before I remember that he's been promising that since it was cancelled.

Fucking HBO, he could have finished it in one more fucking season.

And now w/ Milch doing Luck w/ Dustin Hoffman (COMING TO HBO THIS SPRING!!!) I don't see where he finds the time.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 am

My guilty pleasure is Pawn Stars. Reality TV is not my thing at all, but it's at least somewhat history based.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 am

I'm about 8 episodes in on Deadwood. Really fantastic. Such great characters.

I don't even know how someone conceives of Calamity Jane.

Plus, the sideboob on that chick in the opening credits is why I love America.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:56 am

Ian McShane was on TDS and Jon Stewart asked him about the movies and McShane replied "Deadwood is dead". Plus the sets were torn down.

But I guess the wrap party was something to witness, since the entire cast and crew got shitfaced drunk in The Gem.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:57 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'm about 8 episodes in on Deadwood. Really fantastic. Such great characters.

Calamity Jane was a real person.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Yeah then in February McShane said something like "never say never" and Milch said something at Comic Con or some shit that it was currently #3 on his project list.

I don't think it will ever happen, but damn if they don't keep sucking me in.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I'm about 8 episodes in on Deadwood. Really fantastic. Such great characters.

Calamity Jane was a real person.

Yeah, I meant more in the way she talks and acts.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:07 pm

I guess the story w/ Deadwood goes that HBO bought Milch (they still own him) before he even concieved of a show. His first idea was doing a Roman show and then HBO told him they had Rome in the pipeline so he randomly came up w/ the idea for Deadwood (he's an expert on the era or some shit).

After cancellation he rewarded them by fulfilling his contract w/ John in Cincinatti.

Next up is Luck though, which by all accounts is going to win 65 emmys a year.

FWIW: I have never Googled so many characters in my life to see how close Deadwood was to real. Fucking nearly every single small character in that is based in some way or another off a historical figure.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:56 pm

I saw the movie "Enter the Void" last night and I think it would be hell of a series. Not so much because I liked it, but the fact networks need a little more on-screen abortions, possible incest, police violence, trppin' balls around the seedy parts of Tokyo, and some good old funbags thrown in for good measure. It was like 2001 Space Oddyssey, Trainspotting, and Requiem for a Dream all rolled into one.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby swerb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:01 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I know you are hyped for X-Factor too Peeks. You missed Simon Cowell, don't lie.

Last time I had lunch with Peeker, he busted out the Simon Cowell undersized black t-shirt.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:13 pm

The utter filth of the time period was so well done shit and piss filled streets. The disgusting dirty onesies they wore day in day out under the same outer clothes. The casting is my favorite, not only the main characters, but the supporting cast, Brad Dourif, the dude who played Mr. Wu, W Earl Brown. It's the only show other than Rome that really captures the feeling of what it was really like during the period.

But at least it looks like Bona Dea will actually be produced for the big screen (according to Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson, Bruno Heller has the script done and will be shot at some point sans HBO).
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:29 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Storage Wars!!!

I don't know why but I can't get enough of this show, even with it being populated by total douchebags and one semi-decent looking chick who seems hot because she's surrounded by said douchebags.

Hadn't ever seen it til last week in Louisville. Then I watched 7 straight hours and no each idiot intimately. And yeah, Brandi is a 10 on the show and probably a 5 in actuality.

But next to Jarrod, Darrell and Dave she's stunning ;-) ;) :wink:

So long as it doesn't interfere with X-Factor I'll keep watching it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:16 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:My guilty pleasure is Pawn Stars. Reality TV is not my thing at all, but it's at least somewhat history based.

Hardcore Pawn on truTV is better. Pawn Stars is cool for the historical stuff that gets brought in, but Hardcore Pawn is hilarious. Pawn shop on 8 Mile Rd in Detroit. That speaks for itself.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Just found I have H2HD (History 2) and Battles BC is having a bit of a mini-marathon. I'm happy.
Orenthal

Unread postby hiko » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Loved the first season of Deadwood.

The second season was like some screenwriter jerked off on the dialogue. "Shut the fuck up" I kept telling the screen. It didn't listen, so I ditched about halfway through.

Can someone tell me why a show like The Playboy Club would be on network TV? Why would ANYONE watch? Put it on cable, I might watch for Cinemax type reasons.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:41 pm

So I can blame you for Deadwood getting canned before it was finished?

Dick.

Also, from what I understand The Playboy Club is dead already, no one watched.

A Networkized version of Mad Men? Bitch please.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hiko » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:49 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So I can blame you for Deadwood getting canned before it was finished?

Dick.

Yep. Everyone should've died at the end of Season 1. Then it's the best show ever.
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Milch dialogue is what it is. I can understand how it can grind on people, I was fine w/ it but I still get it.

Rest assured Luck w/ Dustin Hoffman and Nick Nolte will be the same. Milch is Milch, detail obsessed and dialogue crazed.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hiko » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Milch dialogue is what it is. I can understand how it can gring on people, I was find w/ it but I still get it.

Rest assured Luck w/ Dustin Hoffman and Nick Nolte will be the same. Milch is Milch, detail obsessed and dialogue crazed.

Couldn't agree more. It's an acquired taste. Some people love it. But I'm eternally scarred from all the Mamet wannabes from college in my screenwriting classes. Especially when they shoot said dialogue for their student films (performed by unemployed actors that show up for auditions).

Can't stand it. Completely takes me out of the world they're supposedly trying to create.
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:10 pm

I get annoyed enough by the music school up the block here in Boston. I couldn't even imagine the douchebags in real film school.

I'll cede that to you, no doubt.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm

hiko wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:So I can blame you for Deadwood getting canned before it was finished?

Dick.

Yep. Everyone should've died at the end of Season 1. Then it's the best show ever.

Go fuck yourself.

Deadwood seasons 2 & 3 were good.

And Milch explained why the dialogue was like that, because the slang they used in the period would have made all the male characters sound like Yosemite Sam.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture