Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Blue Jackets offseason thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Blue Jackets offseason thread

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:40 pm

To start out, Aaron Portzline has a little blurb about the possibility of trading Voracek and the 8th overall pick to Philly for Jeff Carter.

The drawback to Carter is his contract, which pays him, on average, over $5M/yr for the next 10 years.

But he's a proven top-6 center, and I think he'd thrive playing alongside Nash.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: Blue Jackets offseason thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Carter's worth it. He's a dynamic player who has never been able to play with a wing as talented as Rick Nash.

The thing is this, though. Voracek is a RFA and will probably command somewhere around 2.25M annual cap hit? Maybe. And the #8 overall pick would need to be fit under the cap somewhere around 3M (within the next 3 years) with the chance of bonuses.

Philly would have to send even more salary back to Columbus in this deal unless they have something else in the works with another team.

The Jackets would still need a winger to replace Voracek. Unless they go with Calvert (Filatov?)-Carter-Nash, Huselius (sigh)-Johansen-RW (Filatov?), and then fill out the bottom 6.

They have a lot of needs and it should be a busy offseason. I'd rather they keep the 8th pick than trade it for Ales Hemsky, which is mentioned in the link Stewie posted.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:47 am

I don't know if Carter's the right guy. To me, he's a hybrid winger/centerman. A guy that wants to get the puck when racing full speed down the ice.

The Jackets need a true center for Nash. A pass first guy. I like Carter, he's clearly talented, and he'd add a lot to this team ... but the fact he's not a true C and the contract makes it a stretch in my mind.

Philly needs to move salary. Briere would almost be a better fit for CBJ IMO.

I expect Howson to be aggressive this off-season. Almost a make or break year for the Jackets.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:54 am

An article came out yesterday, I don't feel like tracking down the link, but it said that the first time Holmgren (PHI GM) and Howson met was to discuss a Steve Mason to PHI trade. I guess they had talked about it prior to last year as well, or at least that's the vibe I got from the article. Howson was obviously unwilling since Philly traded for the Ilya Bryzgalov negotiating rights.

When Mason fell through, talks about the 8th pick began. PHI proposed Matt Carle, a mediocre (my words) defenseman with a 3.4M cap hit for the 8th pick and Howson declined, rightly so. I think, if anything, CBJ will add a 2nd rounder to trade down. There probably isn't a guy available right now who is good enough to trade that pick for.

Rich, on Briere, the only downside is how injury prone he is. With a big injury prone contract in Huselius, I'd think Howson would have serious reservations about him. I'd like his playmaking, heart, and leadership on the team, though. That's for sure.

Carter greatly increases the Jackets' overall skill. I think that would be the premise behind getting Carter. Like I said above, he hasn't played with a wing as talented as Rick Nash. You're right about him as a hybrid. I'm not sure if he's strong enough defensively to play center in the Western Conference.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Domino #1 falls. The Carter rumors have come true.

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
As per @TSNBobMcKenzie. Jeff Carter has been told he's been traded to CBJ.

Big move for Columbus.

TSN's Bob MacKenzie saying it's for Voracek, the 8th pick, and a 3rd rounder (pick #67 I believe).
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Wow!

26 years old and signed for 11 years. Exciting player.

He obviously becomes the top line center with Nash and ... who replaces Voracek on that line? Umberger? My boy Calvert?

Allows the Jackets to bump back Brassard and Vermette to the 2nd and 3rd line centers, and allows em to be patient and put Johansen on the 4th line.

Knew they'd be aggressive this off-season. Hope this works out. I like Carter as a player.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Love Carter. CBJ are a lot better right now. Great trade.

Do you play Johansen at wing on the 3rd line, or put him at C on 4th line?

I'm guessing, before FA, lines look something like this:

Calvert-Carter-Nash
Umberger-Brassard-Huselius
Johansen-Vermette-Moreau
Dorsett-Pahlsson-Mackenzie?

Better. Not great yet, but better.
StewieG

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Heard a Flyers beat guy on XM on the way home today - talked about how Jeff Carter had developed a rep as a party animal in Philly, who wouldn't commit to off ice conditioning, and how the veteran guard in Philly, led by Chris Pronger, essentially demanded the team bust up the young guard (led by Richards and Carter).

Has to be a concern, especially considering he's got no contract to play for, locked up for over a decade.

I'm excited. Love Carter's game. It is a concern though. Also the fact that he and Nash are both triggermen, and how will jive together on that first line.

CBJ had to do something though. Trade makes sense for both teams. Lets hope Carter can take his career to the next level in CBus. Will be very exciting to see him and Nash playing together, and with Johansen coming into the mix, it gives the team 4 legit centers, including the long desired #1 center for Nash.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:59 pm

StewieG wrote:Do you play Johansen at wing on the 3rd line, or put him at C on 4th line?

No way. Under no circumstances. He either plays first line minutes in juniors, in AHL Springfield, or plays on a top two line in Columbus. That just stunts his growth. He must be playing with good talent.

I fully believe Huselius gets dumped for a 4th/5th round pick tomorrow/Saturday. If they find a taker for his huge contract that is.

About Carter wearing out his welcome in PHI, that's the vibe I got today all over Twitter. You can't piss off Pronger and stay in PHI. A change of scenery might help, but this isn't an ideal change of scenery destination. Someone will have to keep him in check, but I think Carter wanted a larger role in the locker room and wasn't allowed to have one. So he quit caring.

That's my guess. But who knows.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:04 pm

So maybe Carter goes to wing, Brassard stays on #1 line? Or you split up Carter/Nash on top 2 lines?
StewieG

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 am

StewieG wrote:So maybe Carter goes to wing, Brassard stays on #1 line? Or you split up Carter/Nash on top 2 lines?

At this point, I'd say Umberger. Gives you two centers on a line if one gets thrown out of the faceoff circle and Carter and Umby grew up together playing with the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL.

The hope, ultimately, is that Johansen is good enough and that Carter can play the off-wing and Nash on the right wing.

To start, I expect:

Umberger-Carter-Nash
Calvert-Brassard-Vermette
Murray-Pahlsson-Boll
and then a 4th line with MacKenzie.

They'll add Moreau type guys in FA, I think, to get some experience on the bottom two lines. Vermette's probably good enough defensively to anchor the second line.

They could also be in the market for a RW2 to move Vermette in to more of a defensive line with Pahlsson and Boll/Murray.

I'd like a better playmaker with Carter and Nash than Umberger, but at this point, I don't think Brassard's consistent enough to be that guy.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am

Off-season complete with the signing of Radek Martinek. Decent piece from Eric Smith predicting how they'll line up.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eric-Smi ... 1/96/36949

Thinks they'll put Huselius on the first line w Nash and Carter. Johansen at RW on the second line w Umberger and Brassard. Third line of Calvert, Vermette, MacKenzie (like that line), fourth line of Mayorov, Pahlsson, and Boll.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:47 pm

swerb wrote:Thinks they'll put Huselius on the first line w Nash and Carter. Johansen at RW on the second line w Umberger and Brassard.

That makes sense , but by the end of next season I could see it looking like this:

1) Nash - Johnson - Huselius
2) Umberger - Carter - Brassard

Reason why: Carter wont play well with Nash, and Johnson proves he can hold his own as a top flight center.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Kristian Huselius. Out at least 4-6 months with torn pec muscle he recieved while weight lifting in native Sweden the Dispatch reports

Well there goes the 1st or 2nd line. I have never personally had a torn pec, but I can't imagine its an easy injury to come back from when you play a game where men on skates are attempting to knock you on your ass at every corner.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am

Portzline said it was a bad one. But apparently surgery went well. My very uneducated guess is it'll be closer to 6 months than 4.
StewieG

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 am

Here's my front page piece on the Huselius injury: http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... king-order
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:38 am

skatingtripods wrote:Here's my front page piece on the Huselius injury: http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... king-order

Good read, very informative. Its ironic that I get better off-season CBJ discourse on a Cleveland fan website then I can find in the Dispatch , or CBJ specific sites.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 am

Govbarney wrote:Good read, very informative. Its ironic that I get better off-season CBJ discourse on a Cleveland fan website then I can find in the Dispatch , or CBJ specific sites.

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words.

I wish I could have shed more light on the trade market, but who really knows who is available. Everybody's available for the right package of players and picks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:30 am

skatingtripods wrote: Everybody's available for the right package of players and picks.

That's the Beauty of the NHL off-season.

Blue Jackets need for a new forward just may have become more pressing with news that Mayorov is looking to sign with the KHL. I have a feeling GMs are going to start shying away from Russian players if these defections keep happening.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Maxim was a 3rd line talent at best so its not a huge loss. With Juice out, I'm thinking our lines look like this....

Nash-Brass-Carter
Calvert-Vermette-Kubalik
Boll-Mckenzie-RJ
Giroux-Johansen-Cam

Yep, lots of youth, and I think they're probably more ready to play than a lot of the other previous rostered players. Could be fun, could be a lot of growing pains, but we're not talking about guys like Brule who were put into a situation with little to no talent around them. The young guns (specifically Johansen and Cam) will not need to carry the load.

Also, its good to be back.

/no one is listening
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:05 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Nash-Brass-Carter
Calvert-Vermette-Kubalik
Boll-Mckenzie-RJ
Giroux-Johansen-Cam

Again, Johansen is NOT coming up to play 6 minutes a game on the fourth line. He's playing top six minutes or going back to juniors. You don't bring top prospects up to play with less skilled linemates and be expected to play an energy role. It's not going to happen. He'll play 17-19 minutes a game playing with one of Nash/Carter, both if they get a good second liner.

Calvert-Vermette-Kubalik posts a -15 for each guy. No way that they're together as a group. No matter how good Vermette is defensively.

At this point, without acquiring a better top six forward, they have to separate Nash and Carter. No choice. The other lines simply aren't good enough.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:04 pm

I get what you're saying ST, but we have a horrible glut at center if you play Carter primarily on the wing. Agreed Johansen can't play that little of time and I'll be crazy enough to say he'll be manning the #2 line by New Year's Day. Huselius is a tease if there ever was one, but his injury places a serious gap in our talent level if Arniel doesn't bring in the youth. Seriously if Cam, Kub, and Johansen aren't on the squad out of camp, how bad does every line look with Carter one the wing? Again, we'd have no playmaking center aside from Brass and I'm not cinvinced he'll ever be more than a tweener #2.

skatingtripods wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Nash-Brass-Carter
Calvert-Vermette-Kubalik
Boll-Mckenzie-RJ
Giroux-Johansen-Cam

Again, Johansen is NOT coming up to play 6 minutes a game on the fourth line. He's playing top six minutes or going back to juniors. You don't bring top prospects up to play with less skilled linemates and be expected to play an energy role. It's not going to happen. He'll play 17-19 minutes a game playing with one of Nash/Carter, both if they get a good second liner.

Calvert-Vermette-Kubalik posts a -15 for each guy. No way that they're together as a group. No matter how good Vermette is defensively.

At this point, without acquiring a better top six forward, they have to separate Nash and Carter. No choice. The other lines simply aren't good enough.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:18 pm

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/con ... ml?sid=101

Article from Michael Arace about the CBJ options to replace Huselius. Many of which Skatingtripods already hit on however he brings up another option on holding out and see what players are cut loose due to arbitration.

For my two cents I say go after free agent Kyle Wellwood, yes you have a risk of him defecting back to Russia , which I would imagine sends a chill down Howson's back, but at 28 I would think he has the most upside, compared to all the 35+ talent that is currently available on the market.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Govbarney wrote:For my two cents I say go after free agent Kyle Wellwood, yes you have a risk of him defecting back to Russia

I think you mean Wojtek Wolski.

Kyle Wellwood's an overweight third liner with the Sharks.

Wolski's intriguing. I think you have to overpay (and long yourself in to a longer term contract) to keep him here rather than Russia. Hard to see Howson going through that again.

I'd try and trade a Teddy Ruth/Cody Goloubef to get a 40-50 point forward on a team with some cap issues. Who that may be, I don't know. Jarret Stoll from LA would be a nice target, but I doubt he's available.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:36 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I think you mean Wojtek Wolski.

Correct , I meant the Polish Left Winger. Your right Howson will most likely avoid, how many times can one GM be spurned by eastern Europeans, before he quits on them all together.

Jarret Stoll would probably be a improvement over Huselius. But I cant see that happening either.

My guess is it will be Atkinson, and Calvert until Huselius is healthy enough to return.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Column on the wooing process of Wisniewski

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/con ... ml?sid=101

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:33 pm

As mentioned in my article, Vinny Prospal was an option.

GMScottHowson Scott Howson
Very pleased to tell you all that we have signed Vinnie Prospal. He is a top 6 forward to help replace Kristian Huselius.

There you have it.

Umberger-Johansen-Nash
Brassard-Carter-Prospal

And then a various collection of Pahlsson, Calvert, Vermette, Boll, MacKenzie, and others in the bottom 6.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:16 pm

Looks like they are much closer to a deal to help the CBJ get out of that bad lease, and prevent any move.

This was on the front page of the Dispatch today: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ckets.html

In a plan to keep pro hockey in Columbus and the Arena District till at least 2039, the city and county would buy Nationwide Arena for $42.5 million, then put up casino revenue to pay for it. For its part, Nationwide would buy a 30 percent stake in the team.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Govbarney wrote:Looks like they are much closer to a deal to help the CBJ get out of that bad lease, and prevent any move.

This was on the front page of the Dispatch today: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ckets.html

In a plan to keep pro hockey in Columbus and the Arena District till at least 2039, the city and county would buy Nationwide Arena for $42.5 million, then put up casino revenue to pay for it. For its part, Nationwide would buy a 30 percent stake in the team.

Outstanding.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:00 pm

The CBJ would also have to pay a penalty of $30+ million if they leave.

Pending approval by the city council and the mayor.... which is all but assured.

People seem to be really excited about this year, city has a buzz about the season.

I think we're a dangerous team. The goal tending is the the biggest question mark IMO.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Its a long season , and one more injury could scuttle the whole damn thing , but I see no reason while this team cant get a 7 or 8 seed.

With any luck they are moved to the eastern conference through re-alignment next off season . In the east this team could be a 5 or 6 seed.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:People seem to be really excited about this year, city has a buzz about the season.

I was down at the owners' tournament scrimmage yesterday and the place was packed. Last year, I walked in when it started, sat down, went back and forth from Nationwide to the Ice Haus and was able to sit back down for the championship game.

This year, all the seats in the Ice Haus were packed and people were lined 2/3 of the way along the glass on the street side of the rink. It was good to see. There is a lot of excitement, which should only build if the Buckeyes don't right the ship.

I think we're a dangerous team. The goal tending is the the biggest question mark IMO.

Biggest? Yes. Only? No. They're still not physical enough on defense. I think that's going to hurt them.

Mason supposedly worked with a new goalie coach for a good portion of the summer and from what I saw yesterday, he was squaring up better to the shooters and anticipating the play better. What I didn't like was that any rising shot from the top of the circles or back was handcuffing him. He didn't seem to be picking up the puck real well. It changed in the championship game and he made a couple nice glove saves, but they were from in close.

Some of the prospects looked good in camp. They're starting to draft better. They're getting more complete players instead of just skill or defensive defensemen.

I'll throw some other observations here in bullet points.

- Rick Nash looked bigger to me. Looks like he bulked up a little
- Jeff Carter and James Wisniewski scared me defensively. Hard to read a lot from a largely non-contact scrimmage, but Carter looked like he had no desire to play defense
- Mark Dekanich, the backup goaltender, looked solid; he'll have to be because it's the first year in a while that they don't have an experienced backup
- Maksim Mayorov can flat out fly. Tremendous wheels and good defensive instincts for a Russian. He could be a more skilled Jason Chimera for them
- Kris Russell worked on improving his vision and passing while on the move this summer. He looked really sharp.
- They lack a physical presence on D. Wisniewski had a good amount of hits last year, but he's not a big hitter. They have nobody who inspires fear in an opposing forward. This is something they need to correct.

I'll get back to Jackets articles this week for anybody who actually reads them.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:32 pm

I read em. Great update Adam.

Intrigued on some of the stuff I've been reading about Dekanich. Prospal too ...love that they went out and made that move after Huselius went down.

I agree totally about your assessment of them not being physical enough on D. I think Tyutin is a huge key for this team this year. I think Nash is primed for a HUGE year.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Your CBJ articles are better then anything I read in the Dispatch.

I like Aaron Portzline, but I think the paper handcuffs him. I find his Jackets tweets to be valuable however.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I think I'm going to start running my Jackets articles on Wednesday. That way, they don't really interfere with the Buckeye coverage of Thursday, Friday, and Sat morning and they're far away enough from the Browns updates. I think that'll work out better than running them on Thursdays/Friday morning.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Jackets ink RJ Umberger to a 5 year/23 million extension.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5892 ... hl-rxl-twt

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:08 pm

swerb wrote:Jackets ink RJ Umberger to a 5 year/23 million extension.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5892 ... hl-rxl-twt

Big move. The Core Four as I'll call them, Nash, Carter, Wisniewski, Umberger are now all locked up through 2017 along with Tyutin.

This is their window. Rebuilds in the NHL are drastically different because of the salary cap and the inflated values of prospects, the lack of big name trades, etc.

Keep in mind that a lot of what they're doing is done with the thought that they are moving to the Eastern Conference when Winnipeg goes West for next season. They have expressed their desire to move, have a compelling case, and Detroit will not change conferences. Nashville is their only competition.

Things look good.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:36 pm

skatingtripods wrote: Keep in mind that a lot of what they're doing is done with the thought that they are moving to the Eastern Conference when Winnipeg goes West for next season. They have expressed their desire to move, have a compelling case, and Detroit will not change conferences. Nashville is their only competition.

I keep hearing that Detroit and Cbus are the two that are on the move to the east , and they will simply have uneven conferences with 14 in the west, and 16 in the east. Reason Nashville is not in consideration for a switch is because they are in the Central Time Zone.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Govbarney wrote:I keep hearing that Detroit and Cbus are the two that are on the move to the east , and they will simply have uneven conferences with 14 in the west, and 16 in the east. Reason Nashville is not in consideration for a switch is because they are in the Central Time Zone.

Didn't think about that with Nashville. That's a good point.

I can't see an unbalanced conference because of draft order. The way the draft order is set up now is that the 14 teams who don't make the playoffs are all in the lottery. You can move up a maximum of four spots. Last year, New Jersey, the 8th worst team, moved up to 4th. You would have either an unbalanced lottery by conference or have to include playoff teams from the West in the lottery. I can't imagine the Eastern Conference front offices would like that.

Detroit's a big draw for Western Conference teams. Columbus is not. League-wide, the reaction to CBJ moving would be "Meh.". If Detroit left, there'd be some bitching.

It sucks for Detroit but they're a staple of that conference.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Would love to see the Jackets in the East. Less late games, more easy roadies to Buffalo, Pittsburgh. And gets em out of that meat grinder division with the Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Predators.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:28 pm

swerb wrote:Would love to see the Jackets in the East. Less late games, more easy roadies to Buffalo, Pittsburgh. And gets em out of that meat grinder division with the Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Predators.

Yep. Makes too much sense. Fans can travel to places they haven't been. The travel is less costly for a team still in financial trouble, regardless of this new arena agreement.

There's a good chance that they'd be put in the Southeast. Not an easy division either, though no division in the parity-filled NHL is all that easy. It's definitely less strenuous than being with DET, CHI, STL, and NSH.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:30 pm

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:14 pm

DET, CHI, STL, and NSH.
The fans of those teams are all pieces of shit too.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 pm

To follow up with my post today, Dekanich is out 4 weeks with a high ankle sprain per Portzline.

Better scenario than what could have been. They might need one spot start to give Mason a night off during that timeframe.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:22 am

Marty Turco is still looking for a team , wouldn't hurt to have a veteran backup like that.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Boll broke his thumb in a fight tonight. He's out 6-8 weeks probably.

I'd imagine Cody Bass gets the call back to fill an instigator/enforcer role.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:48 pm

Well it was approved by the CCC, but not without some hilarious drama. A lot of the argument is that the issue should be punt on the ballot. Personally, I think keeping the Area District economically viable is a must do for the city.

The Columbus City Council approved using casino money to purchase Nationwide Arena last night, but not before the council president ejected a Republican rival for speaking out of turn.

Matt Ferris, a Republican running for one of four council seats on the ballot this fall, demanded to be heard before the vote. But the council’s rules limit the number of people who can speak on an issue, and Ferris had signed up too late to get a spot.

City Council President Andrew J. Ginther, who also is on the ballot in November, warned Ferris that he would be thrown out if he continued to interject, but Ferris kept going.

“You are all spineless crooks,” Ferris shouted. “It’s not a public meeting.”

“Officers, show Mr. Ferris the door,” Ginther told the two police officers stationed at the meeting.

“You don’t have to do that, I’ll go myself,” Ferris said. “This is a joke.”

He left peacefully, officers said, and no charges were filed.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... arena.html
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:42 pm

The mistake was made back in '98 when OSU built that monstrosity called the Schottenstein Center, a god awful venue for College Sports, with horrid acoustics for concerts. The Arena district and Columbus has been paying for that mistake every day, its a pitty because anyone who has ever been there can attest to Nationwide being a great arena, with out a doubt the best in Ohio, if not the midwest.

This deal is great because it keeps the Arena viable, and keeps Hockey alive in Ohio.
Last edited by Govbarney on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:21 pm

My season preview should be posted tonight/tomorrow on the main page.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

Did you see the lines posted at Puckrakers for Friday night's opener? Atkinson cracked the top 6 and Johansen will center the 4th line with Brassard and Mayorov. I called Cam making the roster, but I won't swell with pride until he stays past his 9 game limit. Ditto with Johan. A concern of mine is where Brassard is slotted. That is a lot of money for a 4th liner, though I like that Arniel is making him earn his spot. Aside from showing a more physical presence and somewhat better two-way play, he was pretty bad//unnoticeable in the offensive zone. I'm eager to read your upcoming article. DROP THE PUCK! :cheers:
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Next

Return to The Neutral Zone