Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

QB Play in the NFL Right Now

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

QB Play in the NFL Right Now

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I've never seen anything like it. Guys like Brady, Rodgers, and Brees are playing at such a high level. Next tier of guys like Vick, Romo, Rivers, Shaub, and M.Ryan. And this new class of kids like Stafford, Fitzpatrick, Newton.

You couple that with the size and athleticism of the WR's and TE's in today's game, and it's just almost impossible to stop the top top tier guys with how accurate they are.

14 300 yard passers last week. Another 14 went for 250+ this week. Scoring, passing yards, and the % of plays that are passes have never been higher in the NFL.

Great for ratings, drawing in fantasy football players, and watchability factor.

Good for the sport? How far does this go? League just going to become more and more passing based? Will the NFL linebacker become as exctinct as American heavyweight boxers? Start to see half the first round of the NFL draft be pass rushing DE's and cornerbacks?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: QB Play in the NFL Right Now

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:13 pm

Start to see half the first round of the NFL draft be pass rushing DE's and cornerbacks?

Two already valuable positions that will become even more valuable in the coming years.

Nickle Ds are becoming the norm, so you really need three dependable guys that can cover. This is why I was so adamant that teh Browns take Peterson this April if he was there (obviously became a moot point). Good teams will have two stud CBs. The Eagles may have started the trend this past offseason, loading up on DBs.

DEs may be even more important. Its becoming increasingly difficult to blitz these elite offense. The TE play is outstanding these days, and blitzing a LB sometimes equals disaster for defenses. Good defenses will be able to get pressure with their 4 linemen, making pass rushing ends very valuable.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:43 pm

I think it is safe to say the NFL has the most amount of talent it has ever had at the QB position right now. Scary part is aside from the two best in the past decade the vast majority of them are young and have long windows ahead of them.

The college game from the past 10 years definitely plays into it a little, however I feel that the evolution of the offensive minds in the NFL play into it big time. Let's forget the impact even subtle rule changes can have on the balance between offense and defense in the league.

I do think these evolution's in the game spawn the cyclical reactions and expect to see defenses close the gap a little before too long.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 pm

In a couple years, when most teams are built around this style, some team is going to have a LOT of success building a smashmouth, run-heavy team with a pair of really good RB's and some bulldozing offensive linemen. And then the pendulum will swing back this way.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL