Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Props To Soul

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Props To Soul

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Cam Newton is the man. Team is 0-2 but it ain't because of his 800 plus yards throwing in two weeks.

As wrong as you were about "insert name here", you are dead nuts on about this kid. :hide:
municipalmutt

Re: Props To Soul

Unread postby hiko » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:39 pm

I liked Cam Newton too, though not nearly to SD's extent, but I think it's way too early to be carving his bust quite yet.

In the NFL, sometimes a certain style of QB will come on the scene and lights things up for a little while until D Coordinators figure out what he likes and takes that away from him, forcing him to play a different way. Then the QB has to overcome that. Lots don't. Like Derek Anderson.

Which is not to say in any way that I think Newton will become Derek Anderson, but he's gonna have some downs before this season is over.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 am

municipalmutt wrote:Cam Newton is the man. Team is 0-2 but it ain't because of his 800 plus yards throwing in two weeks.

As wrong as you were about "insert name here", you are dead nuts on about this kid. :hide:

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:07 am

Yeah, and having Steve Smith don't mean squat...[snark]
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:31 am

municipalmutt wrote:Cam Newton is the man. Team is 0-2 but it ain't because of his 800 plus yards throwing in two weeks.

Or the 4 INTs?

But hey, there's a lot of happy fantasy team owners, so at least he's got that going for him.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:52 am

I don't remember there being a huge anti-Cam sentiment around here anyway.Speaking for myself, I liked the guy. I wouldn't have hated drafting him. However, I thought that in the Browns situation it made more sense to go with Colt and use our draft pick elsewhere. But it was never about hating Cam or thinking he would be a bad QB.

As it turned out, it was moot because there was no way for the Browns to get him.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 pm

I'll own up. I thought Cam would be a disaster. It's only 2 games, but he's been much better than I thought he would, even factoring in the INT's.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Cam was a high risk pick, I thought. Looks like it will pay off. Good for Carolina.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 pm

SD:

Thanks , I just wanted a kid we could be proud of , and thought most of the so called experts were way off base .

Colt maybe that guy and I could see where some wanted to wait and see .

But man that Cam was a freak , and as i suspected just needed coached up , and I was for hedging our bets just in case.

Just hope Luck doesn't land in Denver and we get Ellway redux .

That would be one revolting development.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 am

JFTR, 2 games does not a career make and even if he was a Brown, who would he throw to?

Try and convince me that Colt wouldn't be better with Steve Smith on the roster...

...and, were the Browns REALLY! 5-5 in the Red Zone Sunday???????

harump...
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 pm

In a way I'm surprised, In a way I'm not.

Carolina wasn't a bad football team persay, I mean, what they're only 3 years removed from a NFC South Division title? And it wasn't as if that team was "meh", that season, in fact I was hoping for a Carolina/Tennessee Titans Super Bowl.

Cam is really a guy with little experience and a little raw, hence my surprise factor jumping in, but again, on the other hand he was playing for a Nat'l title contending team in the CFB's best conference.

He's playing in a offense favorable to his talent set that's ancestor was the Air Coryall system (which eventually was used by the Cowboys during the Super Bowl run), and has a reliable veteran WR (something that Colt is severely lacking)

More power to the guy really. We shall see if Colt can continue to grow and progress.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:03 pm

I was definitely in the camp figuring him as a larger bust candidate than star; If anything, I figured it would take 2-3 years before he had breakout games similar to the ones he started with. Say what you want about Steve Smith and D'Angelo, etc, but he's already well past what I expected to see from him at ALL this year.

Good call, SD.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby trsteve1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:12 am

fwiw the Panthers have been ridiculously pass happy with 48 rush attempts to their 91 pass plays (which doesn't count how many times Cam may have scrambled on a designed pass)

So, his numbers don't tell much of the story.. This team has an AWFUL defense, is playing from behind, and has a running attack that has disappeared faster than a buffet attacked by hungry offensive linemen..

That being said, I have been impressed by his poise in the pocket, he is certainly not a bad QB (hard to throw for 400+ yards two games in a row in the league and be a BAD QB..) Interested to see what he can do if the Panthers ever get that running game going (and would love that to, seeing as D.Williams is on my fantasy team!)

and for the record.. I thought he was going to be a colossal sized bust, JeMarcus sized that is to say.. so far, I would say I was wrong.. but.. it's 2 games.. still, looks more legit than bust, playing like a rookie.. but what rookie QB hasn't played like a rook?
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 am

trsteve1 wrote:fwiw the Panthers have been ridiculously pass happy with 48 rush attempts to their 91 pass plays (which doesn't count how many times Cam may have scrambled on a designed pass)

So, his numbers don't tell much of the story.. This team has an AWFUL defense, is playing from behind, and has a running attack that has disappeared faster than a buffet attacked by hungry offensive linemen..

That being said, I have been impressed by his poise in the pocket, he is certainly not a bad QB (hard to throw for 400+ yards two games in a row in the league and be a BAD QB..) Interested to see what he can do if the Panthers ever get that running game going (and would love that to, seeing as D.Williams is on my fantasy team!)

and for the record.. I thought he was going to be a colossal sized bust, JeMarcus sized that is to say.. so far, I would say I was wrong.. but.. it's 2 games.. still, looks more legit than bust, playing like a rookie.. but what rookie QB hasn't played like a rook?

Seeing as Carolina had the lead after the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter versus Arizona.
And they had the lead at halftime (and never trailed in the first half) against GB.

I am not to sure how much of is because of playing from behind.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:39 am

As much of a douchebag as I think Trent Dilfer is, I have to agree with him on how Carolina is throwing caution to the wind and letting Cam go out there and learn the game. They're not asking him to manage games or hand the ball off 40 times a game. Instead they're building a game plan around what he can do currently and then letting him execute it while learning the nuances the game offers.

They realize they are a bad football team so they aren't hurting any chances they have to win today, instead identifyig that as Cam goes, they will go. They weren't going to win 6 games this season regardless. Instead of hoping for 6 wins and handcuffing the kid they're willing to win 3 or 4 and let him get all of benefit of learning the NFL.

I like their approach and the kid has worked his ass off each week to learn something. I don't see how that's not impressive regardless of your thoughts on Cam coming in.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:As much of a douchebag as I think Trent Dilfer is, I have to agree with him on how Carolina is throwing caution to the wind and letting Cam go out there and learn the game. They're not asking him to manage games or hand the ball off 40 times a game. Instead they're building a game plan around what he can do currently and then letting him execute it while learning the nuances the game offers.

They realize they are a bad football team so they aren't hurting any chances they have to win today, instead identifyig that as Cam goes, they will go. They weren't going to win 6 games this season regardless. Instead of hoping for 6 wins and handcuffing the kid they're willing to win 3 or 4 and let him get all of benefit of learning the NFL.

I'd like to see Shurmur take the same approach with Colt, you know, let 'er rip.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
peeker643 wrote:As much of a douchebag as I think Trent Dilfer is, I have to agree with him on how Carolina is throwing caution to the wind and letting Cam go out there and learn the game. They're not asking him to manage games or hand the ball off 40 times a game. Instead they're building a game plan around what he can do currently and then letting him execute it while learning the nuances the game offers.

I'd like to see Shurmur take the same approach with Colt, you know, let 'er rip.

What makes you think he isn't?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Prosecutor wrote: you know, let 'er float daintily down the field.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL