Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Shapiro to Cubs?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Shapiro to Cubs?

Unread postby Damage » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Read a tweet about an hour ago from someone saying Shapiro was very intrigued by the position. I wonder what he could pull off with an unlmited payroll
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Re: Shapiro to Cubs?

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Damage wrote:Read a tweet about an hour ago from someone saying Shapiro was very intrigued by the position. I wonder what he could pull off with an unlmited payroll

Please god. If you provide me with one thing in my life that has no effect on my family, let it be getting that geek the frick out of town!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:36 am

pup wrote:
Damage wrote:Read a tweet about an hour ago from someone saying Shapiro was very intrigued by the position. I wonder what he could pull off with an unlmited payroll

Please god. If you provide me with one thing in my life that has no effect on my family, let it be getting that geek the frick out of town!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wouldn't he go? If he gets an offer he'd be an idiot to stay in this dried up, dead-ass town. Go to a bigger, nicer city and a place with deeper pockets? Yes please.
I'd personally be on the next flight.

Be interesting to see if it's him or the people he works for that have handcuffed this club.

I have my suspicions based on things not necessarily related to the Tribe. And I don't think it's Shapiro.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:40 am

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:

Why wouldn't he go? If he gets an offer he'd be an idiot to stay in this dried up, dead-ass town. Go to a bigger, nicer city and a place with deeper pockets? Yes please.

Be interesting to see if it's him or the people he works for that have handcuffed this club.

I have my suspicions based on things not necessarily related to the Tribe. And I don't think it's Shapiro.

Pretty sure he has had the opportunity to leave previously and never took it. Instead he chose to be hamstrung by the "policies" of baseball in Cleveland.

Take your Harvard degree and go build the Cubs around walks and platoons.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:43 am

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:

The other side of that is making the case that a GM or the like ought to stay in the small market, because if you go to a large one you lose the industry standard excuse of being "handcuffed by payroll."

In Shapiro's case, it seemed to me like he fancied himself as one of these guys that were genuis' with a limited payroll.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 am

peeker643 wrote:Why wouldn't he go? If he gets an offer he'd be an idiot to stay in this dried up, dead-ass town. Go to a bigger, nicer city and a place with deeper pockets? Yes please.

I realize Cleveland isnt all that, but Chicago is a shit hole. I would rather live in Mogadisgu.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 am

redneckofsc wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Why wouldn't he go? If he gets an offer he'd be an idiot to stay in this dried up, dead-ass town. Go to a bigger, nicer city and a place with deeper pockets? Yes please.

I realize Cleveland isnt all that, but Chicago is a shit hole. I would rather live in Mogadisgu.

If you really think this, either you're a Saudi Prince or completely and utterly clueless. Which is it?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:07 am

No doubt that a lot of other people fancied Shapiro a "genius". But I'm not sure it's fair to say that he fancied himself that just because others wrote it a lot.

I like Shap. Always have. If he goes, I hope he does well.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 am

redneckofsc wrote:

I've been to Chicago twice. I must have been in different parts than you were.

Maybe you stopped in Gary by mistake?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 am

The Cubs payroll is far from unlimited. They have some money coming off the books for next season, and more if they decline the option for Ramirez but they are also saddled with some unmovable contracts with Zumbrano and Soriano ($18M a piece!), and not a whole lot of young talent in the upper minors ready to step in and contribute. Outside of their middle infield, the team is pretty bare on the offensive side of the ball, and the starting staff makes Cleveland's look championship caliber. They've got a couple of solid relief pitchers. They'll probably have around $20M to spend in the off-season, give or take.

The Cubs should have done what teams like Boston, Detroit and the Yankees did, invest heavily in the draft and international, paying over-slot for guys and stock-piling young talent. They had the resources to do it, but only figured it out the last two seasons. If MLB goes to a hard-slot type of a system for the draft, then those teams have lost their financial advantage for amateurs.

The next couple of seasons on the North Side are going to be pretty painful. The next GM is going to have to completely rebuild that franchise from the ground up.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 am

pup wrote:Take your Harvard degree and go build the Cubs around walks and platoons.

Im pretty sure he never wanted platoon situations. He had to work with the resources he was given, which wasnt much.

But of course he gave a positive spin to the platoons. What was he supposed to do? Come in and announce on the first day of spring training " Well guys we are fucked. I gotta stick dellucci and micheals out there, cause I have no other choice, its going to be painful."

I like Shap but I also have no problem with taking shots at him when he deserves it but assuming he wanted and actually believed in platoon situations over everyday players is not one of those deserved shots.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:59 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
pup wrote:Take your Harvard degree and go build the Cubs around walks and platoons.

Im pretty sure he never wanted platoon situations. He had to work with the resources he was given, which wasnt much.

But of course he gave a positive spin to the platoons. What was he supposed to do? Come in and announce on the first day of spring training " Well guys we are fucked. I gotta stick dellucci and micheals out there, cause I have no other choice, its going to be painful."

I like Shap but I also have no problem with taking shots at him when he deserves it but assuming he wanted and actually believed in platoon situations over everyday players is not one of those deserved shots.

Platoons were his shot at Moneyball like fame.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:47 am

Did someone really just refer to Chicago as a shithole? Wow.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:02 pm

He lives in South Carolina, WTF do you expect?

Anyone that would live South of the Mason Dixon line needs their head examined.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Ziner wrote:Did someone really just refer to Chicago as a shithole? Wow.

Maybe when he visited he flew into Midway, and didn't make it more than a few miles away from the airport. That area is a shithole.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby rigs » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Man, people are way too hard on the Dolans and give Shapiro a decade free pass. 11 years, 1 postseason. In a crappy division. Dolan ramped up payroll to a top 12-13 payroll, then rightfully sold it off once they saw what Shapiro did with it.

The guy has not been good, too put it kindly. Even his most notable move, the Colon trade, he botched in the long run.
"I see Aaron Laffey as a front-end #1 starter"- Alan Pawlowski, STO, sometime this month (seriously)

"I will personally see to it that the Indians will not regret this trade"- Jerrod Riggan, after being acquired for Roberto Alomar

"Most GM's see Cliff Lee as a #2 starter"- Tony Lastoria, 2009
rigs

Favorite Player: Jeff Mutis
Least Favorite Player: Dave Otto

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Thought about this possibility the moment they announced they were interviewing just about everyone. Why wouldn't they consider Shapiro? And why wouldn't he want to go? Who cares if he leaves now? What's he do for the team now anyway?
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:46 pm

The Cubs haven't decided on interviewing anyone at this point. From Cashman to Beane to Shapiro, what you hear is mere speculation on the part of the media, mostly, not anything based on actual coming out of Chicago's ownership.

I'd bet the Cubs interview a couple of people, and none of them named above.

The original poster didn't name who the tweet was from, or if it was even an actual quote from Shapiro. Maybe it was just a passing comment when asked about the situation. I mean, if you've been a GM, why wouldn't you be at least interested in one of the more high profile jobs in baseball?
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Buster Olney tweeted a while back that his darkhorse candidate to be the Commish when Selig left is Mark Shapiro. He's highly intelligent and well-respected among baseball execs, or so said Olney.

If he goes to Chicago, good luck to him.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Damage » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:33 pm

I will always have a soft spot for Shappy. Sure he had some bad moments, but in the end, he helped this team more than most GM's could (sizemore, lee, hafner, phillips, asdrubal, choo to name a few). He's extremely intelligent and if I were the Chicago Cubs owner, I would press hard to scoop him.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 pm

If he needs a ride, let me know. I'll drive him and his puppet underling to Chicago...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Rusty » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:00 am

He's a puss, hand-sitting, repetitive suit... also known for his double-talk and supreme excuse making skills. Please send that arrogant douche and his twitching idiot buddy to the windy city ASAP, so that they can further destroy that horrendous franchise. :thumb up:
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby 1Perry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 am

Chicago is a great town. I'm sure they would welcome Shapiro with open arms and love him there. He'd be a fool not to go. I feel so strongly in that, that I'm available to help him pack and wish him off.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:11 pm

1Perry wrote:Chicago is a great town. I'm sure they would welcome Shapiro with open arms and love him there. He'd be a fool not to go. I feel so strongly in that, that I'm available to help him pack and wish him off.

I may be wrong, but im sensing some passive agressive hatred in that post ;-) ;) :wink:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:15 pm

If the Cubs do offer, it would got to be tempting to go. But that is a job that he has a very high chance of getting fired from. In Cleveland he has a relatively "Cushy" job and The Dolans love him. He ain't leaving here unless he wants to or Adverb Harry and Spin carry him out in a body bag. If I were him in this job market I would just stay with the sure thing. He is too old to be worrying about glory.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:...He is too old to be worrying about glory.

Old? OLD? :bs: He's 44!!! If I lived closer I'd be washing your mouth out with soap...
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Eckersley » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 am

peeker643 wrote:Be interesting to see if it's him or the people he works for that have handcuffed this club.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see that as well. Not a fan of the Dolans, but I will say that when they gave Shap some $ to spend a few years ago, he pretty much flushed it all down the terlet.

Whoever goes to the Cubs will look good. How could they not coming in behind the disaster that was Jim Hendry?
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:54 pm

redneckofsc wrote:

I realize Cleveland isnt all that, but Chicago is a shit hole.

You've said many indefensible things. This ranks at the top of that heaping mountain.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:11 am

Jim Hendry was a horrible GM so Shap would look good in comparison. The problem is that Hendry being the shitty GM he is left the place in a f'ing mess and the Ricketts really extended themselves to buy the team at top dollar (sound familiar?). As mentioned before, there are some real bad contracts on that team that aren't moveable.

The new guy will have his work cut out for him with some real payroll limitations, not a great farm system and owners that are probably impatient for results.

If Shapiro gets the job I wish him well and will continue to root for the Cubs except when they play the Indians.

As far as Chicago being a sh*thole....I guess it's hard to compete with Clemson S. Carolina if you're a redneck :hic:

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Jim Hendry was a horrible GM so Shap would look good in comparison. The problem is that Hendry being the shitty GM he is left the place in a f'ing mess and the Ricketts really extended themselves to buy the team at top dollar (sound familiar?). As mentioned before, there are some real bad contracts on that team that aren't moveable.

The new guy will have his work cut out for him with some real payroll limitations, not a great farm system and owners that are probably impatient for results.

If Shapiro gets the job I wish him well and will continue to root for the Cubs except when they play the Indians.

As far as Chicago being a sh*thole....I guess it's hard to compete with Clemson S. Carolina if you're a redneck :hic:

Hendry had some good moves along with some of the more questionable ones. Stealing Aramis Ramirez from the Pirates and Derek Lee from the Marlins, notably, helped set them up for the success they had a few years ago. They should have won it all in 2003, they were unlucky with a good bit of chokeage in there....

Picking up Ryan Dempster on the cheap and making him into a 1) dominant closer then 2) top flight starter was another nice deal he made.

Soriano would have been a fine pickup had it been for 4-5 years, not 7.

He lost me when he signed Milton Bradley. That's when he jumped the shark.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:27 am

Hendry had so many resources with the Cubs. In the past 5 years the Cubs averaged $129M payroll (top 3-8 payroll every year). During that time they had a .508 winning percentage. They went to the playoffs twice in the last 5 years (in 2007 and 2008). They didn't win a single playoff game in that time. They were 0-3 in each of the two playoff series they played in.

During the past 5 years our Indians have been pretty bad also. During that time our payroll averaged $66M, we made the playoffs one year (2007) and were within one game of returning to the World Series. During the past 5 years the Cubs on average won 3.5 games more per season than our Indians.

Hendry's record was mediocre/average but his payroll and resources were excellent. Shapiro had a similar success record in Cleveland with about 1/2 of the resources. I think if you give someone like Shapiro those resources he would have done a lot better. I think that Hendry threw a lot of money around at free agents and didn't invest in the Cubs farm system nearly enough. This of course is very subjective and it is just my opinion.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB