Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Brian Daboll and Miami's 416 passing yards

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Brian Daboll and Miami's 416 passing yards

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Maybe it's the players and not the coach?

Chad Henne might not be anything special, but at least he has legit receivers to throw to. One of them owns the record for catches in a game.

488 total yards of offense for Miami in Daboll's first game as offensive coordinator. Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess combined for 12 catches and 231 yards receiving. Reggie Bush is a nice guy to throw to as well. Bess might not be anything special, but he has more career receptions than all Browns wide receivers combined.

All the Browns receivers caught five passes combined Sunday.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Brian Daboll and Miami's 416 passing yards

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 pm

He called for a fade on 4th and 1 from the 6 inch line late in the 4th when they absolutely needed a score...

to Brian Hartline...

Tells you everything you need to know about Daboll when it counts.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:23 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Maybe it's the players and not the coach?

Chad Henne might not be anything special, but at least he has legit receivers to throw to. One of them owns the record for catches in a game.

488 total yards of offense for Miami in Daboll's first game as offensive coordinator. Brandon Marshall and Davone Bess combined for 12 catches and 231 yards receiving. Reggie Bush is a nice guy to throw to as well. Bess might not be anything special, but he has more career receptions than all Browns wide receivers combined.

Maybe it isn't the guys catching the ball. Hard to catch the ball when it isn't thrown to you.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 am

noles1 wrote:He called for a fade on 4th and 1 from the 6 inch line late in the 4th when they absolutely needed a score...

to Brian Hartline...

So you agree that it's the players who matter and not the coach.

Maybe they should have called a halfback slam into the line like the Saints did on 4th and 1.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 am

I'm simply saying that any pimpin of Daboll should take that fact into the equation.

Guy has his moments but when it really boils down to needing to call a play he gets too cute and makes an incredibly stupid decision.

Therefore, any analogy back to the Browns should consider even if we had players, Daboll is Daboll. Maybe he learns over time but that situation was a microcosm of his term. He cock teases but ultimately the books get out on him.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby hiko » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:30 am

Maybe it's the Head Coach. Maybe it was Mangini holding Daboll back all along.

Maybe New England doesn't have a very good Defense.

All I know is that I laughed out loud when he called a fade pass to the corner of the End Zone on 4th and Goal from the 2 foot line.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby hiko » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:
noles1 wrote:He called for a fade on 4th and 1 from the 6 inch line late in the 4th when they absolutely needed a score...

to Brian Hartline...

So you agree that it's the players who matter and not the coach.

Maybe they should have called a halfback slam into the line like the Saints did on 4th and 1.

Or maybe he should called a play that had more than a 5% chance of working. You try those fade passes on 2nd down, not 4th. And you throw them to Brandon Marshall, not Hartline.

Henne's mobile enough and big. Spread 'em out and run a QB sneak. Slant to a TE. Reggie Bush on a sweep. Christ, anything but that fade pass (although a reverse might've been just as bad).

PS- Bad coaching doesn't help.
hiko

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

There's also the issue of Rob Chudzinski and Cam's 422 passing yards... and everyone wanted him run out on a rail in 2008.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Maybe it's the players and not the coach?

how's that 153 yards and a 56.2 QB rating for Henne look today?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:01 am

Not as good as Cam Newton's 400+ yards again for Chudzinski.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Not as good as Cam Newton's 400+ yards again for Chudzinski.

No offense, but what's the point? Daboll is at least relevant - he was here with essentially the same cast. Chud left with Romeo at the end of '08. Not seeing the point at all. I mean if we want to list former Browns coaches having success elsewhere we could go on for days
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby hiko » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:44 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Not as good as Cam Newton's 400+ yards again for Chudzinski.

No offense, but what's the point? Daboll is at least relevant - he was here with essentially the same cast. Chud left with Romeo at the end of '08. Not seeing the point at all. I mean if we want to list former Browns coaches having success elsewhere we could go on for days

That fella in New England seems to be doing OK.
hiko

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 am

mattvan1 wrote:

The point is the Browns continually try to win with crappy players, then blame and run off the coaches when they don't get it done.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby hiko » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:29 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

The point is the Browns continually try to win with crappy players, then blame and run off the coaches when they don't get it done.

This is true. But I'd also like to point out that neither Chud nor (especially) Daboll has done anything yet on a consistent basis to make think they're anything other than ordinary and utterly replaceable.

Chud's offense looked good in 2007 too when he had DA slinging the ball down the field. Defenses figured it out. Chud's O went to hell. Right now his O looks good with Newton chucking the ball down the field. Will it stand up when Defenses take that away? Newton is 10 times more dynamic than DA, but Chud's still got a long way to go before he's NFL elite at what he does.
hiko

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL