Text Size

College Sports Arena

Toledo Rockets at Ohio State - Predictions/Game thread

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Toledo Rockets at Ohio State - Predictions/Game thread

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:32 pm

"It was just the flow of the game."

"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Some thoughts on the game Saturday -

1. I agree with those knocking the RB play. I feel like Boom has 150+ in this game. We run plenty of zone blocking schemes and its up to the RB's to make the correct reads and cuts, and aside from Carlos' 36 yard bouce out for a TD, I feel I've seen numerous comparable opportunies missed by the young backs in both games.

2. I dont think we win on Saturday if Simon did not come back. What a monster he was in the final minutes.

3. I wish I had some coaches film on this game just to see how open/covered the WR's were on all the throw aways and indecision Bauserman showed. Can't believe that they could have covered us that well on plays where Joe seemed to have the time needed to find an open man or someone in single coverage he could have thrown to.

4. We needed Tyler Moeller of last season against Toledo. He is supposed to be the kind of impact defender Simon was in a game like this. Our Star is there in part for just the type of plays Toledo burned us on many times. He was arguably the best tackler on the team with one arm last season. So where is Tyler Moeller?
Last edited by JCoz on Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Good point on Moeller, I actually asked myself that multiple times during the game. He was pretty much invisible.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:14 pm

It was noticeable in the Akron game too, how the RB's were missing the holes repeatedly. It wasn't that long ago though, how we were saying the same thing about a young Boom Herron. It comes with the inexperience.

Agree completely with Coz that the Bucks lose the game if Simon doesn't come back in.

Moeller has been invisible...no doubt. Fickell was asked about it today...says they need him to return to his old form. Seems like he's been a step slow and unable to get off a block. It was noticeable when they finally put Christian Bryant in the game for him late vs Toledo.

I thought the DB's for both OSU and Toledo kept their teams in the game...although I was very surprised to hear after the game that Orhian Johnson had led the Buckeyes in total tackles. That might have been the quietest nine tackles I have ever seen. Barnett missed a tackle or two, but he also prevented some much longer gains with some excellent stops. Clarke was very impressive, and the fact that Roby hasn't had his number called much for two games tells you he's been doing his job.

I am not as worried about Drew Basil as many are. He was very good all through spring and fall ball...consistent inside 50 yards. He just needs a make to take the heat off. I think he'll be fine.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Agree with Dan and JCoz.

I still have not rewatched the game... just some parts. Here are some quick observations:

-Bauserman lost his poise. Of all the things for a QB to lose that is the worst. He heard footsteps even when they were not there and he had plenty of time to throw. It's Miller-Time, you don't just find poise laying on the curb, the moments are just to big for little Bow-Wow.

-RBs are blind, but the OL did not really help. They didn't get the push and the holes were not big.

-The offense is starved for playmakers (or at least Bow-Wow makes it seem that way). I hope to god Bauserman was just not seeing open players because if OSU's WRs were not getting seperation against toledo, well that is bad news.

-The interior DL is so much better than at any time I can remember. Hankins should be a top 10 pick, he is like one of those fat Alabama DTs that just wreck plays. Bennett is a smaller version of Hank. Lots of reasons to be excited about OSU's DL..... except at WDE.

-OSU needs to go to a traditional 4-3, they don't have a LEO on the roster. There are no true speed rushers on the roster, but there is an excess of great DL. OSU best 4 right now looks like Hank, Goebel, Bellamy, and Simon (with Bennett close behind as #5). Let's get those guys on the field.

-Time to put Storm Klein out to pasture. He is stiff and slow. Shazier is a little light in the britches, but he is clearly a play maker. Let's start seeing Sweat, Sabino, Shazier with Williams in the game against the Wisco's of the world.

-Corey Brown is injured, but ready to go. The question is, do you really care. I am pretty much convinced that he is Devin Smith redux.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:28 am

Devin Smith (and Evan Spencer too, for that matter) has already shown me far more than I've seen in Philly Brown. I also think Verlon Reed is twice the prospect Brown is, and they're a fairer comparison, having been in the program the same amount of time.

Small sample size...granted, just early impressions.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:33 am

What is Kenny Hayes story these days?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:What is Kenny Hayes story these days?

Last I heard he and Chase Farris are taking redshirts. Bennett, Hale, and Miller are the only freshman DL who have played in the first two games.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena